Ten

DJ got me falling in Love

▼▼▼

 

Kyungsoo wakes up to a slap from something hard across his head in the morning.


"Wh-- ?"

His eyes snap open to see his grandmother hovering over him with a rolled up magazine in hand, which he presumes to be the tool used to attack him.



"Grandma!" He groans, a hand coming up to rub the sore area.

"Don't you grandma me, look at this!" The elder huffs, chucking him the magazine.


He catches the glossy digest somewhat, eyebrows furrowed and vision still blur from grogginess. But when he sees the front cover, all remnants of sleep flees him and he blinks furiously.



"I-- No, this-- "

He starts incoherently and his grandma snatches back the booklet, jabbing a finger at an embarrassing picture of Byun Baekhyun and himself in an extremely suggestive position and demanding, "You didn't attend the blind date and now this! Will you care to explain what this is all about?"



"No, Grandma, it's- not what it looks like. I-- We were at a party and, and Baekhyun was drunk..."

"So you were humping him because you were drunk?!" She screeches. "Look, Kyungie dear, your grandma is not the conservative type but this is in public...?!"

 

 


"NO! Grandma, we weren't doing anything of that sort! It's, he's drunk and he forgot to zip his pants so I was just helping him 'cos he's too far gone to see where his hand starts and where his zipper ends ok? We- wait. This, it's a private party and how did anyone even get this?" He points at the offensive photo.


"This, is what I intercepted before it goes into publish for the whole world to see. Somehow one of my connections got to know about it and persuaded the publisher not to send it into print. I had to give them a huge sum of money though. It's not like the money matters but..." Her previously harsh tone mellows a bit as she lowers the magazine. "Kyungie dear, you yourself knows how these gossip magazines function and it's not going to be long before something like that comes up again."




"Well, just, believe me ok, I'm not... I might not have a girlfriend now but I absolutely have no interest in the same gender either." He huffs exasperatedly.


The elder squeezes his shoulder gently and says, "I believe you, but some kind of damage control is needed. You probably won't like what I'm going to do, but trust me, it must be done."


With that, she marches out with a flabbergasted Kyungsoo calling after her, "Wait, what do you mean? Grandma...? "

 



❖❖❖




"We aren't publishing it? Why?" You demand when Kris told you he's pulling out Do Kyungsoo's story for next month and giving the front cover to Kwanghee instead.
 



The mere thought of that irritating reporter makes your blood boil.



"Because clearly Madam Park has her connections. And the old lady gave us some money to shut us up. It doesn't matter. Cos this photo..." He waves the draft copy in front of you. "Is only the tip of the iceberg. I know you can do better than that, Ga-eun ssi."

You your head, not understanding.


"I'm saying I'm not publishing it now, but that's because I'd like us to collect more... Interesting facts of their lives before I do that." The director inclines backwards in his chair. "This singer is worth more than several stories... We're not only talking about the front page, Ga-eun. I'm reserving up to ten pages plus the entire mid-spread for you... "


You gasp silently.


"Help me fill them up... " He crooks a smile. "And you got yourself Tiffany's position."




A promotion.

Your heart leaps.


"Besides, Kwanghee has been bugging me for months with that stupid story of his and if giving him just one month's issue is gonna spare my eardrums, I'll gladly do it. It'd also ease off your workload for a bit."

That makes sense. You don't know whether you've got enough time to put together a new story in just two weeks, so you nod agreeably.



 


"However, I'm afraid I'll have to pull you off Chen's case."


"What?" You jolt forward.


"I received a call, Ga-eun. A threat, to be specific. The guy told me next time it won't be just a slap. Apparently all the other agencies like ours received the same message. So it's safe to say you aren't found out yet. And... " He eyes you with an unreadable expression. "I didn't know that you and the singer have a history."

 



Your jaw tightens.

"It is what you said it is. History. There's nothing going on between us now and if you think it's going to affect my judgement in this case, I--"

"I know you draw a clear line between business and personal matters, Ga-eun ssi. I trust you." His eyes darken. "However, like I said, you haven't been found out, yet... and I don't want anything happening to my best employee. Kwanghee will be handling the case from now on."


You open your mouth to protest, but Kris raises an arm to signify the end of the conversation.


Disgruntled, you take your leave.


 

 




As expected, the irritating fellow ambushes you the moment you step out of the director's office,.


"So... Ga-eun ssi... You know, after hoarding the front cover for six issues straight, I think it's about time you take a backseat and allow those creative juices to replenish themselves while I, step in for you." Kwanghee grins.



You want to wipe that sickening smile off his face with your fist.


"Congratulations, Kwanghee. I know you've been working on your story for the longest time..." You fake a smile and folds your arms. "So do you only do betrayal or what? Or more specifically, do you only sell out the people who trusts you?"



Regardless of the stories you cover, you've got your boundaries. But Kwanghee? The guy is unscrupulous. His first story was on his closest college friend (they aren't anymore after that) and you know from your editor that he's currently working on his sister-in-law's case, whose son just so happens to be an illegitimate child of a famous politician.

The politician doesn't know about the offspring actually, and Kwanghee's brother had been aware of the situation even before they got married.


Airing all these dirty laundry in public is just going to break the two families.




"Whatever, my story is definitely better than the one you're working on, that's why Kris gave me the front cover..." He replies smugly. "And if you are even remotely thinking about that Senior journalist position, I suggest you forget about it 'cos that is gonna be min-- Ahhh!!!"

His voice suddenly rises an octave higher into a shriek.

 



Both of you snaps to attention at the blob of dark hair rising slowly behind him...


"Is... he... bothering... you...?" The voice drones somewhat creepily.


"No, no! I-I'm not bothering anyone... " Kwanghee flails and his words tumble out rapidly. "Ihavetogosoenjoyyourselvesbye!"



Before you can make out what he's mumbling about, the reporter is already gone.

He has always been somehow afraid of your intern.




"Well that's fast." You turn to the boy whose eye bags look like they are drooping down to his chin. "Zitao, you look like . Let me guess, Gucci?"

You know the boy has a soft spot for the brand.



"I've been up all night looking through the new winter catalog and shopping sites..." He groans and yawns.


You nod sympathetically and gives him a pat on the back.



"It's good to indulge yourself once in a while Tao, but you better get some sleep. You're scaring everyone off."

Not that you mind it this time though.

 

 

❖❖❖

 

 

"It's not that I'm not willing to fork out that money, Ga-eun, but Andy and I just paid the down payment for our new flat and... " She sighs.


The soju cup is getting cold in your hands and you twirl it absentmindedly.



Shinae is never stingy with money.

So when she says she can't do it, she really means it.

 



"Never mind... I'll ask Kris." You nod understandingly.

"Kris?" She frowns.

"Yeah," You wring your hands. "I might be promoted..."


"Well, if I remember correctly, even if you get a raise, you won't have enough before the surgery is due."



She's right.



"Look... I... I'll think of something, don't worry. I always do." You fidget with the rim of your glass. "Maybe I'll just... Drink less or something..."

"You don't even drink anymore, Ga-eun." She points out. "Well, I can try to nip a few thousand from my side but the rest... Why can't you just... push back the date or something?"

 



"Youngjae is graduating soon. It'd do him good to improve his condition, increase his chances at a better job, you know."

"I know, but at such a short notice? Where are you going to get the money? And how are you going to pay for your loan?" Shinae demands.

You are already regretting asking her, because from the look in her eyes, you know she's going to offer to pay for the monthly bills. This is your burden to bear, not her's.



"I know of someone whom I can borrow the money from." You lie.

"And who may that be?" The ever perceptive Shinae narrows her eyes.


"I..." Before you can follow up with another lie, your phone rings.

You fumble a bit with it, being unfamiliar with the new phone model still.



It's an unknown number.


"Wait, I'm taking this." You are grateful for the distraction. "Hello?"




"Hello." It's an elderly lady's voice. "May I speak to Choi Ga-eun ssi?"


"Yes, I'm Ga-eun, and may I know who is this?"


"Ah... Ga-eun ssi, can I speak to you privately for a moment?" The old lady continues politely.

"Y-Yes, of course?" You are wondering what this is all about.


"Oh, but your friend, is she going to be ok on her own?"

 



Your eyes widen in surprise.



"My... Friend?" You repeat dumbly.

"Yes, I see that the two of you are chatting happily at the soju house now, but if possible, can I have a moment of your precious time?"

The old lady sounds legitimately sincere even though she probably just said the creepiest thing on earth.



"May I know... What is this about?" You decide to proceed with caution.

"Money, Ga-eun ssi. You have some inheritance with me." There's a hint of smile in her tone.


"W-What?"

Now Shinae is looking at you as if you've just grown an extra head.


"I'm sorry if it sounds too sudden, but it'd only take a mere minute, Ga-eun ssi. So if you please, I'll be outside the soju house in my car, waiting for you, until you are finished with your appointment."

 



You stare at the frowning Shinae.
 


"Can you... Wait here for a while?"


You just hope you haven't damned yourself by obliging such a ridiculous request.

 

 

▲▲▲