Twenty Nine

DJ got me falling in Love

▼▼▼

 

 

When the two of you meet each others' eyes in the kitchen next morning, there's a moment of awkward silence.


Kyungsoo has just woken up with a stuffy nose and bleary eyes and it's not until he sees you that the realization from last night comes thundering down upon him.

He kissed you.

And you had kissed back.


In fact, if he allows himself, he can still remember the delicious heat of your mouth on his. Soft and addicting.



His gaze wanders to your lips for a split second before he catches himself and berates silently what the hell are you thinking of early in the morning Do Kyungsoo?

You give him a smile you hoped isn't too forced (because what are you supposed to do with a man who just kissed you last night? Should you scold him and get angry or say "it's ok" because you actually like it and hopes he doesn't regret it? What if he doesn't remember anything at all?) and Kyungsoo smiles back thinly.



"Are you cooking?" He finally manages, wanting to smack himself on the face for mentioning the obvious because what else were you doing? Cooking up a magic potion?

Luckily for him, you don't point that out and replies him promptly, "I'm cooking us some porridge for breakfast, do you have the appetite?"

"Anything's fine, thank you." He shrugs and pours himself a glass of warm water.




Silence ensues and Kyungsoo isn't sure how to go about continuing in order to lift the awkwardness.

"Is your..." Your voice cracks a little and you redden in embarrassment before clearing your throat to try again. "Your cold getting better?"


"Yeah," He nods. "Thanks for... The help."



Both of you blush at this statement and you chuckle nervously.

"I didn't do much. You should go to the doctor's if you are still not feeling well."



"It's ok, I just need to sleep it off, I guess."


The clumsy conversation ends with Kyungsoo mumbling a "I'll be in the living room" and you answering "Y-Yeah."

Breakfast is carried on separately with you at the kitchen table and him in front of the TV.


Not that the deejay is taking in any of the images in front of him anyway, because he's groggy and there's the distraction of your presence at the back of his mind.



He finishes quickly and cleans up his own dishes (at his insistence) before taking another round of medicine and crashing into bed.




You retreat to your room and idly boots up the computer for a quick write-up since you haven't done anything substantial these few days. From the looks of it, Kwanghee has been up to some really good leads and it bothers you because you are pretty sure you know most of the information on Chen's case with the help of Zitao.

What is making him so cocksure he's going to get the next two month's headlines?



After a good few hours, you sigh and open up the file on Kyungsoo and Baekhyun's case. You've managed to get hold of the hotel's receipt and proof that they've booked a hotel room, though you are the only one who knows that Baekhyun wasn't the one staying that night. The receipts and photos you've compiled from snooping around his room have already been printed into a mock copy and you are flipping through it, guilt creeping in with every movement until you stop at the page where Kyungsoo is posing with his ex-girlfriend.


You wonder how was the girl like, that made the deejay swore off all relationships from then on. Is she gentle and submissive? Does she cater to all his whims like a good little girlfriend? You can't help but feel inadequate. Yes, you can cook and you don't look all that bad yourself either, but you know how you are to guys.

Kris had chided you on numerous occasions for being too headstrong and "behaving like a man" and Zitao confessed that you scare him a little because you seem so cold and "violent at times". That earned him a slap on the arm and "violent, you say?" but you know what they are trying to say.


You aren't the meek, gentle type that guys usually like.

In fact, you are being the horrible traitor like that dirt reporter Kwanghee for betraying personal information about someone you know. And in this case, actually likes.


That thought swirls something in you. A dread so heavy because you can just imagine the anger when the deejay finds out what you really do for a living.

You don't want him to hate you.


You want him to like you. And maybe, even...



You are so lost in your thoughts that you don't notice when Kyungsoo barges in through the door.

"Ga-eun ah?"


So shocked are you that you don't notice him calling you without honorifics. You stumble to stash the mock copy behind you under the desk and stands up in a flash.


"Y-Yes?"


Kyungsoo's eyes land briefly on the odd movement but doesn't brood upon it because he's feeling rather anxious right now.

"It's my grandmother. She's in the hospital."


 



❖❖❖






Kyungsoo doesn't speed.

He's a careful driver but right now you are feeling edgy, what with him stepping on the pedal at every yellow-turn-red traffic light. Technically, he's not breaking the rules but he sure is pushing it.


Both the regulations and speed limit.


He's still staunchly quiet when he reaches the hospital's car park, swerving beautifully into an empty lot in one try and climbing out the minute he kills the ignition.

You follow him dumbly, half worried about Madam Park and the other concerned about his recovering sickness.



Though Kyungsoo is smaller built than Kris and Zitao, he's got a commanding presence that rivals the former. After asking for directions at the counter, voice clipped but calm, he strides quickly to the stipulated room.


"Grandma." His voice softens like a caress the moment he sees the elderly lady, lying with eyes closed on the hospital bed, a tube stuck into her hands.

She doesn't respond, chest rising and falling with every shallow breath she takes.



"Are you Madam Park's grandson?" A nurse appears in view and she throws a questioning glance at you.


"Yes." He looks to you. "And she's with me."

You are grateful you don't have to do any explaining. The nurse nods and continues.


"Your grandmother was admitted an hour ago after she collapsed at home. There appears to be an attack causing the black out. The doctor will be here shortly to tell you more details."

"An attack? What is she suffering from?"


You dread hearing the answer. This is not how you think Madam Park will want him to find out.



"The brain tumor, Mr Do. That's causing the blackout."

 




❖❖❖
 





"She didn't tell me." Kyungsoo breathes.


The two of you are sitting on the hospital's plastic stools beside the bed and you shift slightly towards him, placing a tentative hand on his shoulder.

The doctor had just told him everything and Kyungsoo feels like he can't process all the information at once.



"Did... Did you know about it too?" He plucks his face away from his hands and stares at you. You are not sure whether you should be honest because he looks so guilt-stricken.

"I-- Yes. She told me."


He sighs.

"She told you but didn't she tell me?"


"She... Didn't want you to worry." You pat him lightly.

"Was this... Before the marriage thing?" He asks again.


"Madam Park told me she's afraid you'll be all alone after she's... Gone. And she wanted someone she can trust to take care of you."

"So you were sent to... Take care of me?"


"Not really," You confess. "The part about our grandmothers making a pact is true. My grandma promised her she'll fulfill anything Madam Park requests, to thank her for her help to our family. And your grandmother's request to me was to... Marry you."


"And you agreed because... You know it's her last wish?" There's a sparkle in his eyes you can't bear to witness. You can only nod.

Kyungsoo lets out a chuckle that doesn't sound anything like joy.

"I know you weren't the kind to just agree to some silly promise just become your grandmother made them."



"Well for the record, your grandmother was pretty insistent too."

The elderly lady suddenly stirs in bed and Kyungsoo shoots up from his seat to be beside her in an instant.



"Grandma..." He whispers fondly, his hand finding to hold hers.

"Kyungie--" Her eyes fall on you. "I see that you've brought Ga-eun."


The smile on her face is so bright you feel just a bit overwhelmed.

Kyungsoo obviously notes that too.


"Yeah, are you feeling better?"

"I'm fine, Kyungie-ah. Just a little accident at home..."

"The doctor told me everything, Grandma, you don't have to lie to me." He states.


The elder's eyes grow wide.

"W-- Ah... I told him not to tell you."

"And why not?" There's hurt evident in the male's tone.


"Kyungie-ah..." The old lady pats him on his hand. "There's really nothing for you to worry about. Everyone leaves this world sooner or later. I'm so glad you'll be the one to see me away. And Ga-eun too..." She gives you an affectionate glance.


"No, don't. Don't talk about it like that, you'll be fine..." He shushes her, head bending to hide his emotions.

"I know my own body, Kyungie-ah... And I know I won't be here forever. Maybe just long enough to see you get married?" There's hope in her question and Kyungsoo glimpses at you.


It's your turn to look down on the scrubbed marble floor.

"You just have to concentrate on getting well, stop thinking about these useless things..." He chides softly.


"But this isn't a useless thing, Kyungie, it's your happiness and that's all I can think of before I leave here... And Ga-eun makes you happy, doesn't she?"

Kyungsoo's mouth opens at this but no words come out.

Madam Park turns the question to you.



"And Ga-eun ah, has Kyungsoo been good to you?"

You fiddle restlessly with your fingers.

"Y-Yes."

"That's good, and have you mastered the recipe yet?"


You are stumped at this sudden query.


"I-- I eh..."


Stammering, you feel your neck prickling hot from anxiety.

What should you tell her? That this is it?
No, I'm not marrying your grandson though I like him and he might just like me too but then I've already promised him I won't tell you I've mastered the recipe?


"I think I--"

"She mastered the baguette recipe." Kyungsoo finishes off for you.



You stare at the deejay, dumbfounded.

He peers back with surety in his eyes.


"That's great! Ga-eun! And remember what I told you about the test? If you passed the test, Kyungie is to get off your back and you are allowed to make a choice. So, are you staying?"


The two of them look at you, but it's Kyungsoo's gaze that you find you can't look away from.

There's hopefulness... And that something else in his eyes which catches you off guard back at the hotel room.






"I... Am."


 



❖❖❖

 





It is decided, that the engagement is to be held in the small garden at Madam Park's mansion.

Whilst the old lady chats happily about guests and decorations on the hospital bed, Kyungsoo glances at you from time to time, gratefulness apparent in his eyes.



Back in the car, he speaks first.


"Sorry."

You are taken aback.


"W-What?"

"I'm sorry if you feel forced into this decision, but I assure you, this is entirely in your court and we can stop anytime you deem fit. Though preferably without my grandmother knowing."


What does this mean? Does he mean this is all a pretense?



"I-- Understand. It'd all be for her."

There's a heavy emotion in the deejay's eyes when you say that and you have to look away. It's too intense and it's breaking you inside.


He nods with a finality.

"Right. All for her."


 




❖❖❖





According to the doctor, Madam Park can be allowed out of the hospital "as long as she has enough rest" and "send her back the minute she senses anything wrong". However, he also advised Kyungsoo that the tumor has created a minor blood clot which might burst anytime and "it may be wise if you've got anything for her, you've got to do it fast."


It's under this warning that the wedding is planned to be on the coming Saturday.



You are not prepared in the least.

Kyungsoo isn't faring much better, as he realizes the list of to-dos for a wedding spans from something as essential as "registering the marriage at the registrar" to trivial stuff like "the color of the ribbons on guests' chairs". He's not one for nitty-gritties and is mighty glad you offer to take up the more aesthetic part of the planning.


You apply for urgent leave and Kris raises an eyebrow but doesn't probe further when you say it's for "personal matters". These are the times when you appreciate that Kris is the type who, even though he runs a paparazzi business, doesn't poke his nose into his subordinates' affairs. He's fair that way.


His only indication of concern is a pat on the shoulder and "If there's anything you need, just let me know ok?".



Kyungsoo continues his four hours shift work at the station because his other colleague is currently on leave and they don't have enough part timers to go round. You visit the bridal boutique separately with Madam Park on Wednesday because of the deejay's last minute schedule clash. However, he manages to get Friday off in compensation.



The week passes in a whirl.

It feels like somebody else's business, everything done presto and you hardly have enough time for cognition.


You are thankful at least the guest list is short, as per your request to Madam Park that the affair be kept simple and private.

A small luncheon buffet for 35 people, a pianist and Baekhyun as the wedding singer.



Albeit stunned at the news, he agreed straight away, not forgetting to remind Kyungsoo that "you've got me to thank for" and that the two of you are lucky his gig ends on Thursday and he'll be back for the weekends.




Your brother, Youngjae, is a tad surprised when you call to inform him of the wedding.


"That's... Fast. Do you need any help, noona?"


You only bite your lip and utter a quiet, "Just be there, Youngjae ah, that'd be enough."


Shinae, as expected, is a bit more pressing.

"Are you sure this is what you want to do, Ga-eun ah? It's marriage after all. Does he even love you?"



To be honest, you don't really know anymore, so you just offer her the same statement as to your brother and "Can you be my bridesmaid?"






Friday comes and the two of you visit the registrar in the morning. Nothing fancy. Just taking a simple oath in front of the officer and then signing some documents. Though you have to admit your heart thumped a bit faster than usual when Kyungsoo gave you a brief glance during the part "to love and to cherish" and Kyungsoo's chest tightened a little when you smile at him.


You are still packing the last chocolate wedding favors with him during the night in the living room, when the deejay asks, "Is there anything else you want us to do tomorrow?"


You look up from tying a ribbon around the gift box.

"I... Don't think so?"



Kyungsoo gives a wry smile.

"You know according to traditions we're not supposed to see each other before the wedding. It's bad luck, they say."


"And you believe that?" You snigger softly under your breath, your fingers back to working on the ribbon.


"No. But Baekhyun did mention it. He's still tired from the flight in the morning else he'll be in my face right now telling me to get the hell out of the house." Kyungsoo gives a short laugh.

The house is quiet at night and his laugh chimes off the walls. You decide you like the sound of that.


"I can always crash at my brother's for the night." You offer.


Kyungsoo glances up from the gift box and you catch his gaze.


"You're okay with staying though?"

There's a double meaning behind that question and you ponder for a bit before replying.



"Yeah."



Kyungsoo lets out a boyish smile and you reciprocate with a beam.



It's nice like that, you think.

And Kyungsoo feels the same way, his eyes catching yours once in a while and sharing a smile.



It's midnight when the two of you are done.

Kyungsoo switches off the light as you reach the top of the stairs to your room.


"Goodnight. I'll see you in the morning."

He calls out through the dark, voice low and melodic.


"Yeah, I'll see you in the morning." You whisper back shyly.




There's a mutual expectancy in the air.

Something that comes with knowing the two of you will be husband and wife the following day.

 

 

 

▲▲▲