Thirty

DJ got me falling in Love

▼▼▼

 

 

You are utterly confused and the sight of the kohl eyed singer beaming at you isn't helping.


Baekhyun apparently dragged a still half-asleep (and cursing) Kyungsoo out of bed at 6 am in the morning because "seeing each other before the wedding is a big no-no" and you have no clue where he instructed Chanyeol to bring him to. Seeing him recount the scene so gleefully makes you suspect this isn't the first time the deejay was subjected to such sadistic treatment.


Another thing to add to your list of "Things to learn about Do Kyungsoo"-- He has a soft spot for his friends and the people he cares about, despite the queerness.



"And it's nice to finally meet you, you look great!" He flashes his trademark eye smile you've seen on the magazine covers.

You are not sure whether he's being polite or sarcastic because you are still in your pajamas and is pretty certain that bed hair doesn't count for anything on the chart of attractiveness.




Shinae and Youngjae arrive shortly after 7 am, the former gushing over how you are practically glowing (you are?) and Youngjae congratulating you with a necklace gift.

You don't know where he got the money to buy that and lightly chides him until he gives up with a "my girlfriend chipped in too, noona". You are about to drill him on the girl when the fitting people turns up and Baekhyun announces he's going to check up on his best friend.



The white bridal tea dress is tighter than you last remember when you tried it at the bridal boutique. You can hardly breathe and have to plead the stern faced ajumma to please loosen it by a bit because she insisted it's fine that way.


Ultimately, you are given a 0.2 cm more breathing space and you have to in your stomach all the way through the make-up and hair-do session.

Somewhere at the back of your mind, you are wondering how Kyungsoo is doing.

You are pretty sure he isn't a morning person and chuckles lightly to yourself as you can imagine him railing at the singer afterwards.


 



❖❖❖

 





Kyungsoo is in fact, at his grandmother's house, head drooping from sleep while Baekhyun's personal assistant and stylist coaxes his hair into something more fashionable.


"You should have dyed your hair again, Kyungsoo ssi. The color is getting uneven and it's your wedding day!"

The deejay only gives a half-hearted "hmmph" before nodding off again.



"Baekkie!"

Chanyeol booms at the sight of his boyfriend and Kyungsoo looks up momentarily to register the singer flying into his manager's arms. Of course they have to do it here when there's no other strangers around. The stylist somewhat knows of their relationship but is tight-lipped enough to not peep a word throughout the two years they've been working together.

"You'll be proud of me how I shook off those pesky paparazzi just now, Channie... And Kyungsoo!" Baekhyun rounds over to plop himself beside his best friend. "You should have told me Ga-eun ssi is a stunner!"

Ah, right, this is the first time the two have met.


The deejay gives a lofty smile.

"Is that all you're concerned about? How she looks?"


"Of course I'm also concerned about how you're going to repay me for what I've done." Baekhyun crosses his arms proudly.


"You mean how you dragged me out of bed at 6 ing am in the morning? Sure I'm gonna repay you..."

"Awww... How can you forget my little gift for you at The Yoke's? Did you guys get married so soon because yo-- " Kyungsoo claps a hand over the singer's mouth but the words are still tumbling out, despite being a bit muffled. "gofh herr bregnan..."



"Shut up. We did nothing of that sort okay." The deejay rolls his eyes and Baekhyun chortles. He mumbles something and Kyungsoo reluctantly takes his hand off to listen to what his idiotic best friend has to say.



"I'm happy for you, Kyungsoo-ah." He beams, voice crystal clear this time.

Kyungsoo can't help but smile.


"You are such a dork."

"And my Channie loves this dork."



A comb is suddenly hurled across the room at the singer.


"KYUNGSOO SSI! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO MAKE YOU LOOK PRETTY WHEN YOU THROW THAT COMB AWAY?!"

The best friends cackle loudly at the stylist's complaint.



Kyungsoo wonders whether you are looking as pretty as he imagines you to be. He's feeling tired, yet a bit excited.

It feels like a real wedding.


 




❖❖❖
 




Reality hits you like a train when the car rolls into the mansion.

It's a two-storey house, seemingly bigger than the one Kyungsoo is living in and right now, there's a lavish setting of white and Tiffany blue round tables and chairs in the garden beside the mansion. A small white canopy with lush blue chiffon skirting sits in the middle, where the ceremony will take place. A grand piano by the side.



This is your dream wedding. And right now, it's coming to life right before your eyes.

Your stomach is churning and as much as you want to blame it on not eating enough breakfast in the morning (due to the stupid dress), you know it's mostly nerves dominating the mutiny inside.


Breathe, Gaeun breathe...

You tell yourself but it's hard with the corset-like dress constricting your oxygen intake.


 




❖❖❖





Madam Park greets you at the door, eyes tired but face radiant with the expression of a proud parent.


"Ga-eun you look amazing!" She gives you a short twirl around and you smile, thanking her.

"The guests will be here in an hour's time. Right now, all you have to do is sit down and relax."


She ushers you to a room and you can't help but look around for the deejay as you follow.



"Kyungsoo is in another room. You aren't supposed to see each other before the ceremony. His friends say it's bad luck." The elder notices your searching eyes and remarks.

You blush a little at being caught.

"Do you believe it though?"

"Nah, I'm not into those hocus-pocus thingy. But if it makes his friends happy, why not?" She turns to you, another bright smile. "Here's where you'll be staying until the ceremony starts ok?"



You nod obediently as she cups a hand over yours, squeezing. "Thank you for doing this, Ga-eun. For taking care of Kyungie... If there's anything you want me to do, just say it and it'd be done."


You shake your head. "It's ok."

She squeezes your hand for one last time before she leaves the room and Shinae trots in.

"Youngjae is busy with the preparations, I'll be here with you."


Grasping your hand, she utters, "I'm so happy for you Gaeun. You're finally getting married."

You give her a wane smile. "Thank you."


"Are you sure you don't want to talk about it though?" She asks cautiously.

"I-- "


You shake your head again.

 




❖❖❖

 





"Are you sure you didn't get her pregnant?"


Kyungsoo shoots his best friend a dirty look.


"Because, no offence. This is lightning quick, even for me."

The singer raises his arms in defense.


Kyungsoo sighs.

"It's my grandmother's last wish."



Baekhyun thows him a measured glance.

"So you don't love her?"



The deejay shifts uncomfortably in his black dress shoes.

"It's not like that."


"So you do?"



"The guests are coming in, aren't you gonna help?"

Kyungsoo avoids the question by moving towards the gates and Baekhyun trails behind with a sigh.


 

 



❖❖❖

 





As time ticks on, the knot in your stomach is coiling tighter and tighter.

Shinae notices, of course.



"Gaeun-ah, relax. It's going to be ok."

"I'm trying to?" Your voice comes out a half notch higher than usual.


"Don't think about it."

"How can I not think about it when I'm right in the middle of it?" You exclaim.


 



❖❖❖



"The guests have all arrived." Madam Park observes.


Kyungsoo glances at the crowd.

The mood is bustling, spirits high despite of the chilly weather. Refreshments are being served and Kyungsoo can smell the food from a mile away.


He wonders if you're hungry.


 


❖❖❖




Your stomach is churning even more now that Shinae announced that the ceremony is about to start.

"Are you ready?" She grabs your hand.


"No?"

 



❖❖❖





Baekhyun chuckles at the sight of his best friend worrying his lips.


"Nervous, are we?"

Kyungsoo glares at the singer.

"Don't worry, I'll be here in case you faint."




❖❖❖





"I think I'm going to faint."

You wobble a little with that declaration and Shinae smacks you on the arm.


"Stop being so dramatic, Choi Gaeun... Oh! The music has started!"




❖❖❖




"Where is she?" Baekhyun squints and Kyungsoo follows suit.

The hammering inside him picks up.




❖❖❖




This is real.

You are getting married.


"Gaeun, we have to go out now."


And you feel like running away.




❖❖❖

 



The crowd is beginning to fidget because the opening song is playing for the second time but there's still no sight of you.



"What is going on?" Chanyeol joins his boyfriend beside Kyungsoo after telling the pianist to just play some random song.

Instinct has Kyungsoo striding up to the house and Baekhyun all but grabs him by the shoulder.


"What are you doing?" He hisses.

"I'm going to check up on her."

Kyungsoo deadpans.



"You can't! It's bad luck!"

But the deejay ignores his best friend and presses on anyway.


 



❖❖❖

 





"Ga-eun ah."

The worry in Shinae's tone is creeping into your state of panic, but not enough to get you out of it. You are sitting on the bed, palms sweaty and body strung tight.


"I... I..."




"What are you doing, come back!"

You hear Baekhyun's hushed but urgent plea and looks up to see the figure of the two males moving quickly into sight.



Kyungsoo...


He's dressed in a formal black suit and bow tie, hair slicked to the side, looking even more handsome than you last saw him. Except for the frown that's marring his forehead.

You recoil a bit automatically.



"Ga-eun ssi."

Despite his harsh body language, his voice is soft, thick with concern.


You melt a bit under the tone, feeling the coiling in your stomach switch to something else fluttery.



"I'm sorry but... Can you leave us alone for a while?"

Kyungsoo asks Shinae politely, but firmly. Your best friend glances at him and the flabbergasted Baekhyun behind before looking back at you.


You nod and she accedes, moving to close the door behind her.



What happens next throws you off guard.

Kyungsoo kneels on one knee before you, his suit brushing lightly against your dress as he extends a hand to place on your arm.



"Hey, remember what I told you?"

Your mouth opens slightly. What?


"That the ball is in your court. If you want to call the whole thing off, we will."



You don't know what to say to this. Here you are, thinking that the deejay is going to tell you off for chickening out in middle of the ceremony but he's all understanding and... Sweet?


"I... I'm just..."

I'm just not sure whether I'm going to marry someone I don't know if he loves me back.



"I know this is very overwhelming for you and trust me, I really appreciate that you are doing this, for my grandmother's sake." He peers up at you, eyes round and earnest.

This is the look. The look that you fell in love with.


"So even if you don't like me, can you..." He bites his bottom lip. "Can you try to at least finish this. Just for today?"



His last sentence declines into a whisper.

Please say yes.


You forgot completely about the nerves.



"No, I..."

His brows rise and you hastily continue, "I like you, I do."

I may even love you.



Too caught up with sorting out your thoughts, you don't notice the small smile on his face.

"So yes, we'll finish this and I'm so sorry I was panicking here for a bit because I've never done this before and--"


"Don't worry, you're not the only novice here." He chuckles a bit.

You look up at him.


"Well, since this is my first time getting married as well, you know..." He trails off shyly and it's your turn to snigger.

The two of you stare at each other for a good two seconds before you break into another smile.


"At least you look pretty awake for someone who's dragged out of bed at 6 am in the morning."

He groans.

"Remind me to kill Baek later after he's done with his singing."


 



❖❖❖

 




The relief on their faces are apparent when Kyungsoo walks out with an assuring nod. Youngjae has joined Shinae and Baekhyun at the door and now asks concernedly, "Noona, are you okay?"

You glance at him and your girlfriend, mustering your brightest expression.


"Yeah. Let's go."

Baekhyun takes over at that with a "Let's get back before the guests go ballistic...", tugging the deejay behind him.

 



❖❖❖

 



The small smile that is on Kyungsoo's face becomes full blown when he finally sees you walking down the rose strewn path.


You are beautiful.

Stunningly so.



The white tea dress complements your fair skin and your short hair has been kept up into a bun, exposing a slender, creamy neck. The piano's melody drowned out by the cheers and clapping getting louder with every step forward you take.



During the oath taking, you are trembling slightly again, aware of the expectant silence and all eyes on the both of you. It's different from the atmosphere yesterday, when it's only you and Kyungsoo in the small registrar's office.

You feel watched and uncomfortable.


Kyungsoo notices your apprehension when he slips the ring onto your finger and leans forward to whisper into your ear.



"Hey."

You jump a bit at the unexpected move.

"Don't worry, I got you."


When he draws back and it's your turn to put on the ring, you see that look again.

The one you cannot pinpoint what it meant back at the hotel and hospital.



You only know that it calms you down immensely. And you can trust him.



So you take a deep breath and slides the ring on.

He gives you a light peck on the forehead and the crowd erupts.




❖❖❖
 




"So, the wedding is finally over, are you alright?"

Kyungsoo asks as the movers dismantle the last of the canopy and he leads you to his car.


The crowd has long dispersed and it's nearly evening. Baekhyun and Chanyeol gone back to the hotel and Youngjae hitched Shinae's ride back home.

Madam Park retreated to her room with a contented smile and "You look stunning, both of you."



"I didn't get to eat much at all today. Grandma was introducing me to all your relatives."

Kyungsoo chuckles.


"Just humor her a little."

"I know."


The two of you climb into the car as you let out a huge sigh of relief.

"I need to get out of these clothes."


Kyungsoo raises a brow suggestively.

"I know we're married at all but do you have to be so open."

With any other person, you would have scowled and got miffed at this kind of teasing, but with Kyungsoo, you only choose to whack him lightly on the arm and he yelps exaggeratedly.

"Ow... Just joking."



"It's not funny getting compressed into a killer corset okay. Now let me go back and change before I die from lack of oxygen."

Kyungsoo snickles.


"And after you do that, we'll get some dinner, how does that sound?"


Your eyes brighten up.

"Brilliant."


"I know of a place."

"You know of a place..." You repeat placidly.


"I think you'll like it." He spares you a grin before he starts the engine.


You like the upcoming evening already.

 

 

 

▲▲▲