Five

DJ got me falling in Love

▼▼▼

 

Kyungsoo presses his lips together determinedly as he pushes past the gates of a beautiful two storey red bricked house. A bumbling maid greets him hastily to which he greets back and "Where's Madam?"


She points to the furthest room inside.


Kyungsoo quickens his steps and finds his way to the cozy, old-fashioned looking kitchen with high ceilings and a wooden long island, an impressive array of baking utensils and a huge oven right at the end of the room. The place whiffs of bakery air, the sugary vapor evoking memories of early mornings peering over aluminum bowls, sneaking off batter spoons, standing in front of the hot steaming oven and childish whining, "Grandma, when's it gonna be ready?"


The deejay lets loose a nostalgic smile but promptly feigns displeasure when he spots the figure bent over the table slicing loafs of freshly baked bread.


"Grandma."

He crosses his arms for good measure.



The old lady doesn't look up, but a small, discerning smile paints her wrinkled face.


"You're just in time for some fresh bread, Kyungie." She sings, tone affectionate with just a hint of amusement.



"Why aren't you on your way for your check-up?" His eyebrows dig down and the old lady chuckles.

"Check-ups are for sick people. I'm not sick." She replies matter-of-factly.


The deejay strides over next to her and chides, "You fainted yesterday. Again. The check-up is necessary for..."


"I was just tired dear... " The elder finally looks up.

"And stop frowning." She chastens, one floured hand coming up to jab him right on his temple.



"Ouch." Kyungsoo rubs at the targeted spot, coming away with some powder remnants.

"I'll stop if you go for the check-up."

The old lady gives a long suffering sigh and puts down the bread knife, one arm parking on her hip.


"Fine, let's cut a deal."


Kyungsoo groans.


"Grandma... Not again..."


"Well if you've bothered giving all those nice girls a chance I probably won't have to do this."

"I went for all of them, didn't I? Nine dates, grandma... Nine blind dates and-- "


"The next one will be a perfect ten." She finishes off for him, deaf to the young man's whining as she proceeds to dig out a thin blue folder from under a pile of recipe books under the table.


"Now choose one."

She s the folder into his hands.


"Grandma you know this will never work out, I... " He is duly cut off by the elder.

"You just got to try! I know you've had a terrible experience with your first girlfriend, but Kyungie-ah, one failed relationship doesn't mean the end of the world... Your grandma has got her fair share of heartbreaks as well but still, I gave myself a chance and I'd say your grandfather is the best thing that's ever happened to my life."



Kyungsoo's grandparents have a pretty dramatic love history, as he's heard from his grandmother since young. It's the sort of romance story that Kyungsoo thinks is good for movies and dramas, one he'll never see himself in because adventure has never really been his thing.

And the fact is he's never really gotten over the hurt of being two-timed by his first and only girlfriend. He doesn't even like the girl anymore, that much, he's sure. It's just that whenever things start getting a little less platonic with potential parties, inexplicable fear grips him and he just... gives up.



"You and grandpa didn't meet through a blind date." He argues.


"Well, technically we didn't. But I was like you, being sore over a certain relationship and they set me up with your grandpa. He's such a gangster then..." She chortles loudly. His grandmother has always been a colorful character, a rebellious and spunky lady when young. And she met her match with his grandfather.

He sees the same streaks in his own mom.

As if reading his thoughts, the old lady muses fondly, "Your mom takes after me and your grandpa. A rebel. That's why she got together with your dad."


Kyungsoo remains quiet at that. He knows where this is going.

"I never knew what she sees in that good for nothing musician. He only broke her heart and your mother spent the rest of her life mending it, up til the day she died." Her tone becomes distant, but sensing the deejay's silence, she perks up and smiles. "Well, fortunately you take after your mom. Kind-hearted and responsible... And you have her smile, you know? A heart shaped smile. Yes, just like that!"


Kyungsoo's grin spreads wider.


"But I thought you just said Mom was a rebel?" He snickers.


The old lady pokes his temple again.


"Ouch." He pouts as she flips the folder open for him.


"Now, choose."


Kyungsoo smacks the folder back close.



"Grandma..." He starts.


"Choose one, and I'll go for the check-up now."


"But..."


"No date, no check-up." She folds her arms.




Kyungsoo sighs and randomly flips to a page without even looking at it.

And maybe if he did, he'll notice the familiar face inset on the case file.



"Here." He passes the folder over to her. "So can we go now?"


The old lady has a curious glint in her eyes when she sees the selected candidate.

"Perfect."


Kyungsoo frowns and is about to ask her when she promptly chirps, "Let's go."





❖❖❖

 



"You, young man, are banned from all extra-curricular activities after school for a week."

You huff at Youngjae, your younger brother by three years who's now sitting at the edge of the hospital's bed, inch-thick spectacles broken, a dried blood clot on his lower lip and bruises all over his face and body.


"But noona! I still have the accounts to do and this doesn't hurt that much?" He objects indignantly but hisses when you press a hand to his bruised cheek to wipe off some residual dirt.

"To hell it isn't. You shall return to work only when I've declared you appropriate to do so." You remark, stony-eyed and turning to the male nurse. "Where are the culprits?"


The male nurse cowers a little from your icy glare and points toward the corridor.


"T-Their injuries are superficial, s-so they are waiting in the common area, ready to be discharged o-once the police is done with them." He stutters.


"Stay here." You pat Youngjae's thigh once, pursing your lips and ready to stomp out to deliver some due punishment.

"Noona." He utters quietly. You stop in your tracks.


"They... don't know that I... can't really see."


A lump forms in your throat and you swallow hard to push it down.


"I'll be back soon." You ruffle him on the head before turning on your heel.





It's been thirteen long years.


Your younger brother has been battling with glaucoma, a disease that is slowly robbing him of his eye sight. It started out when he's seven, little Youngjae complaining about blurred vision in his right eye. Your grandmother, who was your only kin after your parents died in a plane accident a year before that, dismissed it as short-sightedness and took him to the optician's to prescribe a pair of glasses.

A few more incidents and two years on ended up with a hefty bill declaring his damaged optic nerves. He was partially blind by then. The eye drops administered serve to control, but not cure him.

On the same year, your grandmother passed away due to heart failure and both of you have been in the orphanage ever since. You studied diligently, heading into the work force and handling odd jobs at the tender age of 15. Coupled with the money your parents and grandmother left behind, you went on to pursue an academic degree and part-timed as artiste manager at 18, a job your university classmate introduced to you.


You were young, passionate and eager to get your brother and yourself out of the orphanage.

Two years later, you graduated and switched to full-time, rapidly becoming one of the best in the industry and managing to get a small flat for the both of you.




Youngjae is now finishing up his last year in university and part-timing as book-keeper at a nearby mart.



You received his call in the morning about a "mishap" that happened during his morning shift and needing your help in fetching him from the hospital.

Already suspicious of the euphemism (what "mishap" at a mart will land you in a hospital, seriously?) but failing to dig out any extra information from your stubborn brother, you rushed down to the hospital only to discover that he fell victim to three bullies. Apparently the young punks were hanging around in the mart looking especially conspicuous and Youngjae had kept them in check in case they attempt any stupid things.


And they did.


They asked him some random questions regarding how much money the mart is earning and "hey, what's that ugly hat you're wearing, are you a gnome?" (It's nearing winter and he had on his favorite yellow beanie you gave him on his 16th birthday).

Youngjae, noting their glaring youth, told them they should show some respect to an elder. One thing led to another and before he knew it, they were kicking him down and raining punches on him because "F**k, hyung? Is that what you want to hear? F**k...".


The cashier on duty, Krystal, heard the commotion and called the cops.


The punks fled the scene but were quickly caught and your brother ended up with some minor injuries whilst fighting back. You suspect he's more hurt and offended by the fact that he got attacked by three adolescent kids rather than the physical pain though.


Youngjae has a massive amount of pride and you know he told you not to mention his partial handicap to people because he doesn't want the pity card.




You clench your fists when you next see the three punks, hair all dyed blonde. Judging by their branded T-shirts and jeans, they are probably spoiled kids with too much time on their hands. The two policemen before them are asking questions, one holding a clipboard and the other looks up when he sees you approaching.



"Hi, I'm Choi Gaeun, the elder sister of the victim, Choi Youngjae." You greet the police officers politely.

They return the reverence and the taller of the two reiterates the situation to you once again.

"We've contacted their parents and if Miss Choi wants to press charges, we'd be liaising with the adults since they are still minors."


"I see." You drawl, noticing one of them slouching further into himself, a petrified expression on his face.

Seems like someone is afraid of his parents.


"Well, we'll leave you to your decision and is your brother available to talk now? The nurse was dressing his wounds just now and we haven't taken his full statement." The shorter of the two asks and you confirm that your brother is ready for their questions.



After the two police officers left, you direct your attention to the three kids.

 

 

▲▲▲

 

 

 

 

a/n: As celebration for our precious Kyungsoo's birthday, a double update! Go, Go!