Thirty Two

DJ got me falling in Love

a/n: Happy Labour Day! ^^

 

▼▼▼

 

 

Kyungsoo glances at you nervously from his peripheral vision.


He regrets throwing that punch just now. Since he doesn't really know what's going on and maybe you still have feelings for Chen? But you haven't said anything apart from nodding when he asked if you wanted to leave the cafe and currently, you are still unnervingly quiet in the passenger seat.

On the other hand, you are thinking about how the deejay practically announced himself as your husband just now. To be honest, reality hasn't really sunk in until he said it, what with you worrying yourself sick the entire day.

You two are husband and wife.

Husband. Wife.


For real.

And the fact that he aired it publicly... So he doesn't mind people knowing after all?



Kyungsoo bites his lower lip and decides to break the silence.

"Are you... Alright?"


You startle from your reverie and peers up at him.

"Y-Yeah... I am." And you go quiet again.



"I'm really sorry..." He mutters softly. This time, you stare at him in confusion.

"I shouldn't have done that... I'm... Not usually so hot-headed." And he's right. It takes a lot for him to get riled up enough to hit someone and he hasn't done that since middle school when a boy insulted his dead parents. But he has long realized that with you, rationale and routine pretty much gets thrown out of the window since he can't control himself normally around you. You have this strange effect on him that he can't quite explain.



"Are you angry?" He asks gingerly.

You peer at him a moment more and Kyungsoo fixes his eyes on the road because he can't bear to hold your drilling gaze.


"Yes."

He deflates.


"I'm angry because... I should be the one hitting that jerk."

Kyungsoo spares a second to glance over at you to make sure you aren't joking.


You catch his gaze and cracks a smile. He smiles back, feeling somewhat relieved.


"I've always been thinking what if, one day, I pluck up enough courage to smack him for the injustice I've suffered over the months, how will that feel? But then when I saw him, I decide that he's not worth it. Not worth the effort at all." You give him another smile. "So I'm glad you did it for me."


Kyungsoo snickers mildly.

"So you're... Over him?" He prays he doesn't sound too hopeful.


You let out a heavy sigh.


"I got my closure I guess. All the while, I've been second guessing whenever someone shows some sort of interest to me. Because I think I can't tell what is true love anymore, you know? Like what if I think that person likes me, but it's really all an act, because that's what Jongd-- Chen did to me. He used me for my ability and influence. But just now, he confessed that his feelings were real all the while. So I was right, that the emotions I've identified are true, that I still know love when I see it."


You glance at him once more. "But I still want to thank you for giving him that punch. He's still a two-timing bastard no matter how he puts it."

Kyungsoo crooks a smile.

"Does that mean you're not upset?"


"I am."

The deejay furrows his brows.


"I'm upset because we left the chocolate ice cream waffle behind." You groan.

Kyungsoo breaks into a chuckle at this.


"We can go back there right now if you want to."


You throw him a death glare but his eyes are on the road.


"As much as I want to, I'm still hungry and I'm not sure that warrants for such a hefty price tag."

Kyungsoo grins.

"Then I think I know where to take you."


"That I can eat to my fill?"

"And drink too."


 

 


❖❖❖

 




You fidget restlessly in your seat until the car reaches the familiar neighborhood of Kyungsoo's house.


"Where are we going?" You can't help but ask.

Kyungsoo swerves into the road that leads back home.


"Are you going to cook? But that's gonna take too long..." You whine.


The male snickers and shakes his head.

"Nah, you'll get to enjoy a home cooked meal next time. I'm parking and then we're going to walk to the restaurant, since there's not much parking space there."


You don't have to query further to know where he's taking you.

Unconsciously, your mouth stretches into a grin.

 

 


❖❖❖
 




"This... Is so good, I'm going to have another one."

You scoop another generous amount of soup into your bowl and Kyungsoo lets out a chuckle.


"So do you prefer the food here or the one we went to just now?" He quizzes, placing another piece of grilled meat into your plate.


"Thanks." You mutter and swallows. "Even though... The beef casserole was damn out of this world, I still prefer my barbequed meat. And you grilled this really well, thanks. I'm going to eat it!" To which you deftly pop the pork into your mouth.

Kyungsoo laughs and proceeds to grill another piece of meat.


"I always thought you like beef, since you asked for it the first time we came here."



Even though it's only a month ago, the nostalgia is there and you smile fondly at the memory.

The two of you are back to the dingy looking restaurant near Kyungsoo's house that serves the most delicious dishes and makkgeoli. The crowd is already thinning out as it's past dinner time and you don't have to raise your voice as loudly to make yourself heard.


"Ah... I was just teasing you. You were really horrible to me then."


"Well you did drop by like a hurricane and I wasn't prepared at all."

"Considering your grandmother was the one who led me into her car to ask me for a proposal, that's pretty radical for me too, don't you think?"


Kyungsoo sniggers and nods.

"Thank you, Gaeun ah." He says and you look up to meet his earnest eyes.



For a moment, you forgot what you were saying.


"So... A toast?" He raises his glass and you jerk back to reality.

Holding your own glass up, you ask, "What are we toasting for?"


Kyungsoo smiles.

"For you."

"For me?"


He nods. You don't dare to ask any further because your stomach is threatening to be taken over by a bunch of buffaloes.


"For me then." You knock back the drink.

"Easy on the soju. That's your third glass isn't it?" He says concernedly.


You chuckle.

"Ah... You don't have to worry about that. I don't get drunk."


"How is that so?"

"During my job as an artiste manager back at ES Entertainment, I've got a lot of social gatherings to go to. Which almost always involves alcohol. I built up my stamina from there."

Kyungsoo eyes you skeptically.


"Not even once?"

"Not that I remember."

"I've gotten drunk once." He admits. "Because of a certain alcohol I'm not familiar with. It's really potent. Incidentally, it was here, during my 22nd birthday. I was with my grandmother and she laughed her head off as I was drooping off to sleep in the soup."


"You're a sleepy drunk?" You note with amusement.

Kyungsoo chuckles.


"Yes, I get sleepy when I'm buzzed. Not the chatty type."



"I wonder how it feels like to get drunk." You muse.

"You won't want to know." He laughs again.


"Maybe I should try it... Since we're pretty close to home... And you said the drink is served here?" You have a slight lilt in your tone and Kyungsoo stares at you in disbelief.

"Are you sure? Because you'll probably feel horrible in the morning."


"Well, there's always a first right?" You are feeling particularly adventurous today.

Besides, there will be someone to take care of you in the morning, right? You glance at the deejay and thinks to yourself.



"It's a pretty extreme drink though. 56% alcohol content, I think."

"What's it called?"


"It's a Chinese drink, Myeong-sa beer?"

"Myeong-sa is it?"




You wave for the waiter.


 



❖❖❖




The drink burns and it's not anything close to savory, but you find yourself dousing another mouthful due to the single-minded goal of getting drunk.

You're not so sure why you're so bent on doing it tonight.


Maybe because you've just resolved a one year dragged out relationship. Maybe it's the relief after a long day of strung tight emotions.

Or maybe it's because of the boy sitting opposite you right now, giving you a concerned look mixed with something else.



Perhaps he is right.

It may be nice for someone else to take care of you for a change.

And if anyone, you know that it's Kyungsoo whom you'll allow that responsibility.


You can't explain why, but you think you trust him more than yourself at times.



"Are you alright?" The deejay asks.

You put down the glass.

"I've got to admit. This is really intense stuff. I'm feeling the effects of three bottles of soju after just one drink."



"That's already your second." He observes.

"I think the third one will do me in. I'm already swimming." You give him a dopey smile. "I see that you've already stopped."


Kyungsoo looks at his own glass and snickers.

"Someone has to stay sober to pay and take the both of us home."


"Is that your limit?" You raise a brow challengingly.

"The last time, it was the third glass that knocked me down. So if you are already gone by the third, we'll be on par." He smirks.



"Now we can't allow you to prevail so easily right?"

You take another swipe of the drink, eyes not leaving his.


Rising up to the sport, Kyungsoo holds your gaze and finishes his glass in one shot.


 



❖❖❖




In the end, you couldn't get pass the third glass.

Your senses are already dulling and you feel as if your movements can't quite keep up with your brain.


Kyungsoo draws the line at his second, choosing to remain conscious enough so he can make payment and pluck you off the seat.


"So it seems like we are on a draw?" He remarks snidely as he half supports you on the arm and waist.

You can't help but notice his "mannerly" hands even when you're half drunk.


"I would smack you but I'm too dizzy."

As if to prove your point, your head lolls back and Kyungsoo hurries to straighten you back up.


You guffaw at his slight panic, laughter unrestrained and obviously in a very very good mood. The intoxication is somewhat familiar yet foreign...

Wait.



"Wait, I think I remember now..." You voice out loud. "I've been drunk before!"

You break out into a giggle, feet stumbling backwards in the midst and almost slamming into someone else walking on the pavement.


Kyungsoo apologizes to the lady who throws you a judging look and quickly pulls you back to walk on the side.


"You're drunk..."

"I am? I was!" You let out a hiccup before continuing. "I was drunk, because of that stupid Jongdae!" You scream at the name and Kyungsoo hastily hushes you. Luckily for the two of you, there isn't much passersby now that you've rounded the corner of the street towards home.


"After he broke up with me, I went drinking..." Hiccup. "And because I was so good at holding my liquor, I had to spend more than usual to get myself ..." Hiccup. "Drunk! I-- "

Your rambling is cut off midway because suddenly you're reeling and then fumbling for the nearest wall for support so that you can puke.



The retching causes your eyes to water and your passageways to burn, pungent odor of alcohol lingering in your nostrils.


"You ok?"

The concerned voice of the deejay rings muted at your ear.



It's not only a heaving half minute later when you realize you are squatting and Kyungsoo is rubbing smooth circles on your back.


"Ugh... Give me a moment..." You raise a hand as he passes you some tissues. "Thanks..." You mumble and cleans yourself off as best as you can.



After making sure your head isn't spinning anymore, you rise to your feet and Kyungsoo promptly supports you by the arm. His warmth is enticing in the creeping cold of the night and you lean into it.

Both of you are aware of the subtle shift in physical contact.

More pressing. More open.


Kyungsoo hesitates at first, but then slips an arm across your waist to secure you tighter as he leads you down the road again.

"We're nearly home. Just a couple of steps more."


You nod, feeling the daze clear a little after vomiting. True to his word, the white bricked house comes into view, familiar and welcoming.

Home.

You haven't felt the true weight of that word for a very long time.



"I should have listened to you, even after throwing up just now, I still feel like crap. Can't imagine the blooming headache that's going to come tomorrow."

Kyungsoo chuckles. You feel his hot breath grazing your forehead.


"If it helps, I've got aspirins."

You hum, still cross-fading. "I can't believe I don't remember getting drunk before."


"It's been quite some time ago, that's probably why you can't recall." He notes.

"Yeah."


The two of you stroll down the quiet path towards the house, footsteps clicking in unison under the moonlight.

"I remembered waking up with a headache on the pavement. Luckily I didn't lose anything."

Your mind is clearing more with each step and the memories come back to you swiftly.


"There's a mystery that I still can't solve though."

"Mystery?" Kyungsoo utters.


"Yeah. I called someone during my drunken stupor but I never found out who it was. Whenever I called back the number is engaged. I kept it in my phone..."

Digging into your bag, your bring out your handphone and shows him the number.



"09023... Wait a minute." Kyungsoo pauses in his tracks. You follow suit, peering at him curiously.

"Why?"

"This is... My radio station's number." He explains.


"W-- Radio station?" You mutter in disbelief. "No wonder I find that number familiar!"


"When did you say you called again?"

"It's last October, during the night. Here..." You point at the saved message.


Kyungsoo is engrossed in his thoughts.

"October... 10th?"


"Hey wait... I think I recalled something. Some street vendor was blasting the radio on the night I was drunk. Maybe that's why I... "

"Did you say it was the night you broke up with Chen?" He interrupts and you falter a bit.


"Y-Yeah. Why?"


A knowing smile makes it's way across the deejay's lips.

"Do you not remember anything that you said at all? When you called in?"


"I..." You try to recollect anything at all but nothing comes up. "No."


It's all too coincidental and Kyungsoo starts chuckling. Befuddled, you smack him on the arm.

"What's so funny?"


"I can't believe it! I mean... I think you called in drunk during my shift and asked me a very straight forward question."

"What... Question?"

Kyungsoo's ears suddenly flares a bright red.


"Uhm... You said that it's your 300 days together and he broke your heart and.." He pauses uncertainly.

"And what?"

"You'll never fall in love again so you'll... die a ..."


"I said WHAT?!" You fist your hands at the sides of your face in horror.


As much as you want to deny it, you know that is entirely possible because you've always thought one of the reasons Jongdae cheated on you was because you refused his physical advances. Even back then, you've noticed intimate contact doesn't come naturally for you with the singer.

"What else did I say?"


Kyungsoo starts moving again and you trail behind anxiously.

"Well, it's nothing..."

He mumbles and you know he's lying.


"I said something embarrassing right? You said I asked you a question, what was the question?"


The two of you reach the door and he fumbles with his keys to open it, remaining evasive.

Jabbing him on the arm, you demand, "Tell me!"


The door clicks open and Kyungsoo turns to face you.


"You were drunk so uttering incoherent things are definitely understandable." He says slowly, as if assuring a five-year old.

This piques your curiosity even more.


"Tell me." You insist.

That beseeching look in your eyes causes the deejay to waver.


"You asked me... " He avoids your eye and steps into the house, the next sentence coming out low.

"Whether I'll have... ual with you."


Your jaw drops in pure mortification.

Kyungsoo deliberates a second more before daring to peer at you.


You bury your face in your hands, hot with embarrassment. He finds the sight extremely endearing.


"That incident stuck with me because I was genuinely concerned someone will look me up at the station asking me to execute it." He sniggers a little. "Honestly, why would you ask that?"

There isn't any teasing in his voice and you glance up at him.



"I... I've always thought that after Jongdae, I'll probably never find anyone to love me so I..."

You swallow.



"That's... Not true." He whispers, leveling his gaze with yours.


You can feel your heart drumming to the intensity. And suddenly you discern it, that unmistakable look you've failed to recognize back at the hotel and wedding ceremony.

But now it hits you like a cosmic collision.





Kyungsoo loves... You?

 

 

 

▲▲▲