One

DJ got me falling in Love

▼▼▼

Seoul in October is a moody transition from the summer rain to cold, dry winter.


The day is arid, temperatures dropping at the turn of dusk.

Friday evening buzzes with the lightheartedness of weekend, tongues chattering and heels echoing off the dirty asphalt. You push your nose further into your grey muffler, hasting your steps toward his apartment.

Clutching the paper bag with the anniversary present, you suppress the smile that is escaping from your lips.



You can already picture his shock and delight when you present the CD to him. It's a Limited edition of his favorite singer, Chris Brown, and the title is Forever. Much apt for the occasion, you think.

It's your 300th day together.


10 months. October.


Perfect 10.



You push the lift button and type a message in your phone.

"Are you ready to go out? Give me a smile if you are."



Clicking send, you beam to yourself, wondering what he'll do when he opens the door to find you already standing there.


Striding to the familiar white door, you press the bell.



Three seconds later, there's still no response.


You push the ringer again. This time, with an additional knock.



You hear some rustling behind the door and braces yourself for the surprise.



Click! The door opens.



"Surpri--"

The words die in your throat.


Your boyfriend opens the door, but he's wearing nothing but boxers.

And there's a woman behind him, adjusting her collar.


You recognize her.

Of course you do. She's your colleague, Hyemi.



He smiles when he sees you. But the smile is straining and awkward.


"Ga Eun- ah, I can explain..."



You feel the first bite of winter in your heart.


Shoving the paper bag into his hands, you turn and push down the corridor.

The tears come before the lift opens.



 

❖❖❖
 




With deft hands and trained movements, Kyungsoo cues the background music and pushes up the mic fader as the song ends.

One year into the job makes for fluid experience and Kyungsoo dexterously pulls on his headphones and ushers closer to the mic.


"And that was Will.I.Am's Heartbreaker. The time now is 9:50 pm. You're listening to Soul FM with D.O." His voice is a deep timbre, rolling from luscious plump lips and vibrating smooth from the speakers. "It's nearing winter, time to pull out all the warm jackets. We'll open the last ten minutes for call-ins. The number is 0902333546, 0902333546. Tell me what you like about winter."



A tap on the phone panel and the first listener is put through.


"Hello, this is Soul FM!"

"Hello? Oh! I'm so happy I got through!"

There's a girlish shriek at the other end.


"Hello! Nice to hear from you too and you are?"

The deejay continues in his usual laid back fashion.


"I'm Jieun, Oh Jieun. And I like winter because we get to wear the pretty coats!" She squeals.

"Ah, the utmost priority for all fashionistas, I gather Jieun is very fashionable too?" He chuckles good-humoredly.


"Yes! I like to dress up! And D.O. ssi, I really really love your radio show! You are so handsome!" Another squeal.

"Ah, thank you so much. I hope you'll have a good winter! Keep being fashionable!"


Click! He pushes the next blinking red button.


"Hello, Soul FM!"

He greets again.


"I hate winter."

The female voice at the other end is slurring a bit.


"Oh, I guess everyone has their preferences..."

Before he can ask for her name, there's loud bawling at the receiver's end.


"Why?! Why did they do this to me?! 300 days! 300 freaking days! Does it not mean anything to him? And why? Why is it her?"

More bawling.


Instinctively, his hand shoots out to fade down the volume.

"I think... this listener is slightly emotional at the moment..."

The lady continues to shriek.


"And he told me he love me! I gave him everything! My love, my money, my EVERYTHING!" A hiccup. "I can't even get pissed drunk without spending more money cos I'm such a good drinker! Why is heartbreak so damn expensive!?!"

She is screaming now.


In a snap, Kyungsoo cuts the phone volume.

"Right, I'm going to talk to this listener in private cos she seems rather emotional now, winter is coming and though it brings different emotions for different people, don't let it get you down ok?"


With that, a pop song ensues and the deejay resumes the call off-air, with the lady still railing on.

"I'll never ever fall in love again... I'm going to die a NN... " She drawls.


Ok, she's most definitely drunk. Kyungsoo thinks to himself.

"You'll find someone else better, so don't cry, ok?" He musters his most calming voice.


"NO! ... Nobody wants me! I might as well go kill myself nowwww..." She trails off into more sobbing.


"Look, w--" He begins but is cut off by the next question.


"Will you have with me?!"


He stuns.

"W-What?!"


"I said, will you have with me?"

The tone is delirious and pressing.


Looming thoughts of her suicide note seconds ago has Kyungsoo uttering hesitantly, praying it's the right answer to the seemingly trick question.


"Y-Yes?"


There's only the sound of heavy breathing at the other end.


And then click.

The line goes dead.

 

▲▲▲