Drowning

Masquerade

Students begin to row their boat after Miss Yong gave instruction to them to go to any spot that they think suitable for their project. Everyone starts leaving, except for Joonmyun’s boat. “Okay now what’s your problem Joonmyun?” Miss Yong asked. He looks at her, innocently. “I want to row but she insisted to do it!” She glanced angrily at him and looks at her teacher too. “Miss, it’s not a big deal, Joonmyun wants to show how…able he is as a man but I can row the boat faster than him. I’m dead serious.” Miss Yong slapped her forehead, thinking how to settle this uncompromised partner.

“Okay, Joonmyun, you paddle the boat first, when you guys come back, she’s gonna do it. Deal?”

Both of them keep silent, before nodding their head in unison. “Good, now go find your spot!”

She keeps blabbering, as she’s unsatisfied with Miss Yong’s decision. She hated it when she loses the battle, and now Joonmyun is happily paddling the boat while humming a song.

Damn, damn, damn! When he hums the song, it feels like he’s mocking me T.T

“Sooo, where are we going?” He asked her out of silence.

“You paddle, you decide. Can you like…paddle faster?”

“This is not a competition baby. You need privacy or you want to be closer to other classmates?”

“I like silence better..well I can’t draw with noise around.”

“Right away Madame~ just says you need special moments with me.”

“You’re so full of yourself Kim Joonmyun, seriously.”

He laughed and paddles the boat to the end of lake, somewhere secluded and far from other students. “It’s beautiful here right baby?”

“Hmm well, yes. Okay I’m going to draw you first!”

“Ah okay okay! Make sure you draw me with details!” He eagerly smiles, showing his nice white teeth.

“Close your mouth, I’m too tired to draw teeth. Haha~”

“Baby you’re so lazy!”

“Joonmyun! Can you please stop moving??”

“Babeeee we are on boat! How can I stay still??”

“I don’t know how, just be dead or something!”

“Can you stop being meanie?”

He pouted and slowly adjusting himself to sit comfortably. She smiled and begins to open her sketch book while looking at him. He just keeps himself silence, and it really gives her moment of inspiration to start drawing. She took a glance few times to get better view of his facial features, and sketch ceaselessly.  She draw fine outline first before focusing on shadowing to give more intensity to her sketch. Leisurely she gazes on his face, and their eyes meet. Feeling weird, she drifted her look to the sketch book and draws his eyes.

His eyes are so….beautiful.

She’s getting awkward twitches from her own imagination, so she shook her head and told herself to focus on drawing again. Her heartbeat pounds hysterically when she starts to emphasis her sketch on his lips.

His fine lips.

Oh god.

Now what the hell is wrong with me.

Nervously, she her hair few times to reduce the awkwardness. She took few deep breath before begin to sketch again. “Babe, are you okay?” She thought he wouldn’t speak to her this entire day, but luckily he did. “Uh..yes yes, I’m good. My sketch is almost done.” Her hand gently removed the hair clip and her black long locks dropped softly. She’s getting the feel that someone is watching her, and she could see Joonmyun is staring at her.

“Any problem Joonmyun? You keep looking at me.” She spoke directly to him, even she knows he might be looking at something else behind her, and she just don’t care. His gaze definitely makes her feel more awkward than before.

“I want our daughter to look like you.” He smile innocently and maintain his posture again. “Baby draw me faster, it’s tiring to sit still.”

Pink tint creeps over her cheeks. She never saw that kind of answer coming out from him. “Joonmyun..stop talking.” He chuckles and start loosen up his hands, feeling tired as she seems to take her sweet time to do her sketch. “She’s going to grow up beautifully, like you.”

“She’s going to look like monster if she resembles me. It’s better if she got your features Joonmyun.” She idly replies while keeps on drawing. “What should we name our daughter?” He happily asked her even she did not pay full attention to him. “I’m thinking of……hey wait…why should I think of YOUR future daughter name??” She put down her pencil when she realized Joonmyun is trying to play when she’s not giving attention to his questions.

“It’s not me. It’s ours baby. Because we are going to get married, live happily ever after and make pretty babies.”

His pure smile swept her anger away like breeze.  Somehow, she could sense honesty when he said that, but she wasn’t type of girl who keeps her hopes high. “Stop…kidding. There's no such thing like happily ever after. Okay I’m done! Now it’s your turn.” She slowly tidying her locks and put her hairclip again when Joonmyun told her not to do so. “Just let your hair that way…I like it.” Sluggishly, she put away the clip and begins to smile.

“Perfect.”

He took out polaroid camera from his bag and took her picture. “Joonmyun what the?” She frowned when he took her picture instead of sketching her. “I’m going to paste this picture in my sketch book and send it to Miss Yong.” She raised her eyebrow, stressed with his action. He just ignored her and excitedly waits for polaroid picture getting clearer. “Kim Joonmyun, this is sketch project, not photography for god sake!”

“I can’t draw you.”

“Why? Because I’m too ugly?”

“No…because you’re so perfect for me. I can’t draw such perfection.”

“Oh God, stop being crazy! Now draw!”

“How can I draw you? My heart bursts every time you smile!”

She stopped from yelling at him. She definitely don’t know how to force him anymore and deep inside she keeps getting mad at herself for getting blushed.

“Okay fine, I would not SMILE. I will make the stupidest face ever now please draw! We can’t get the lowest score in class! Pleaaaaaaaaseeee I’m begging you!”

“Alrightttt! But I will only draw you from the picture I took! You’re seriously driving me crazy!” He quickly took his sketch book and look away from her. She’s relieved that he finally does the sketch. She saw him occasionally smiled during his sketch session, and it makes her happy somehow. She joyfully played with water while waiting for him to finish.

After 30 minutes, Joonmyun finished his sketch. “Waaaaah let me see!!” She tried to pull his sketch book away but he hurriedly put it inside his bag. “Gimme yours first.” She glared at him, and hides hers inside bag too. “Not fair! I asked for yours first!” Both of them stood up and tugging each other bag which caused their boat to rock crazily. When she managed to grab his bag, he lost his balance and fell down into the lake. “WOOHOO SERVE YOURSELF JOONMYUN!!!” She laughed hard only when she realized, she didn’t see Joonmyun after he fell.

“Joonmyun? Don’t play trick! Where are you?”

She could only see little bubbles floating on lake’s surface, but Joonmyun is nowhere to be seen. She’s getting anxious, but at the same time, she doesn’t want to be fooled by him. Her eyes keep looking around, in case he swam to closer land.

“KIM JOONMYUN!!!” She yelled his name loudly and she can’t help herself to get more nervous than before. Afraid something bad happened, she decided to put down their bag and strip down her huge shirt and shoes before jumping into the lake. Once she saw Joonmyun lying unconscious at the bottom of lake, she was shocked to death.

Joonmyun you didn’t tell me you can’t freaking SWIM!

Hurriedly, she grabbed his hand and swim up. She used all her energy to yank his body out from water at the nearest land and fell next to him, weary from swimming and dragging. Realized that he’s still unconscious, she tried to call his name few times but no response from him. Her eyes are getting watery, worried that he’s still not replying her. “Joonmyun wake up! Don’t do this to me! WAKE UP YOU !!” She his face repeatedly, hoping that he will open his eyes.

As time fly by, she’s getting scared more and more. She tried to calm herself, and starts doing CPR to Joonmyun. Her hands keep pumping his chest repeatedly and she gave him mouth-to-mouth respiration. Deep inside, she prayed that he would wake up soon. Once Joonmyun coughing out water, she can’t be more thankful than that.

“JOONMYUN YOU REALLY SCARE ME!”

“What……….?” Joonmyun, who’s still in blurry state, rubbed his eyes and he saw her wiping . “What are you doing? Why are you in tube only? Where’s your shirt? ARE YOU TRYING TO MOLEST ME???” Joonmyun swiftly crossed his hands across his body and automatically she slaps his hand.  

I want to ask if he’s okay, but I’m really assured he’s alright, except for his mental wellness.

“I rather drown myself than molesting you! Why don’t you tell me you can’t swim??”

“You look so good in tube baby...you know that?” He pointed at her chest and earned another slap on his hand.

“Don’t change topic! Answer me!”

“I can swim.” He blurted it out instantly, which caused her to rage again.

“So? Why are you freaking ‘sleeping’ inside the LAKE??”

“To see whether you care for me. Haha~ but you took quite a long time, so I passed out.” He comically replied, and it makes her much more angrier on how simply he could put his life on line.

She grabbed his shirt’s collar and shook him up and down violently. “ARE YOU FCKING CRAZY? WHAT IF I CAN’T SWIM???”

“You’re the one who asked me to be dead earlier! So how was it, seeing me ‘dead’ for minutes? I’m still handsome am I?"

Joonmyun almost burst to laugh seeing her worrisome face, when water dripped onto his face continuously. It’s not the lake water.

 

 

She’s crying.

And he stumbled with his words.