Kimchi Jjigae

Masquerade

 

“Why on earth are you taking so long to buy groceries KIM JOONMYUN??”

She walks around the living room while talking to Joonmyun, who has been away for two hours since he left her house. The only reply she received from him was his laugh.

“Awww you’ve been worried is it? Haha that’s so sweet of you baby!” He continues laughing, and deep inside she admits she was worried, but there’s no way she’s going to reflects that in their conversation. “No I am not. Just wondering if you’re going to leave me starves here.” She tried to reply monotonously, so that he would think she’s uninterested. “Joonmyun just come home, we can just eat ramyeon, no big deal,” she attempted to cajole him as her stomach begin to make weird noises. “Joonmyun?” She repeatedly mentions his name but he keep himself silent for awhile, before he starts talking again. “Joonmyun, are you there?”

“….you asked me to come home?”

“Ummm yes…what’s wrong with that?”

“You make me feels like newlywed. This is so good!”

Pink tint of blush slowly creeps over on her cheeks. Joonmyun and his imagination are way overboard, and she can’t help herself but to chuckle a little bit. “Newlywed doesn’t eat ramyeon. Stop doing your shopping or what so ever, I’m freaking hungry.” He begins to giggle when suddenly she heard loud thumps and Joonmyun’s screams.  His soft laugh stopped and sound of kids crying enfolded in their phone conversation. She anxiously called his name few times but no reply at all.

“Joonmyun? What happened? Talk to me!”

She can’t hold herself together anymore after hearing his screams, and the kids still didn’t stop crying, which makes her speculate that he’s involved in some sort of accident. “Joonmyun? KIM JOONMYUN? WHAT HAPPENED??”

No answer received. She’s on verge of crying as she thought it was all her fault. Joonmyun wouldn’t go for groceries shopping if she had something to cook with. He wouldn’t go out, if she just cooks ramyeon for god sake. Thousands of ideas are attacking her, and she can’t stop thinking it was her fault that this thing happened to Joonmyun. Tears pooled in the edge of her eyes, but she slowly composed herself, not to let guilty feelings took over her right mind. “Joonmyun are you okay? Talk to me! Oh God don’t do this to me for god sake KIM JOONMYUN ANSWER ME NOW!”

“Babe?”

Uh thank God. Finally!

“What the heck Joonmyun?? Why didn’t you answer me???” She quickly replies after hearing his voice. Her tears slowly fell down across her cheeks but she tried not to weep while talking to him.

“You…worried bout me?”

“Of course I am! What happened? What’s with screaming and crying over there?! Are you okay?”

She’s worried about me.

“Oh nothing, just some kids here pushing their trolley and race over, and they bumped into my trolley and fell down. Sorry I put my phone aside, need to help these kids first.”

  Joonmyun. You make me worried over…nothing.

“Do you know how….shocked I am? At least, you can...tell me……..first,” she stuttered in her line, as her tears can’t stop from fall endlessly. “Babe? What’s wrong?” She knows she need to end this conversation quickly or else he might notice how feeble she was. “Nothing..just..come back..okay?” She answered. “Don’t worry, I’m on my way. Cook the rice first okay? Love you.” He ended the call with kiss sound and left her astounded for awhile. Slowly, she plopped herself on couch.

She never thought how pathetic she was, crying over a man.

A man who’s merely her classmate. Her seatmate. And she barely knew him.

When weird thoughts start hitting her head, she shook her head continuously and takes a deep breath before going to kitchen.

_________________________________________________________________

"We are going to eat...ramyeon?"

She asked him as she checked over his groceries bags and found two packs of seafood ramyeon.

I waited for two hours...for ramyeon? Great...just great.

"Babe, told ya before, you wouldn't eat ramyeon as long as I'm here. That's for your weekly stock keke."

He even bought food stocks for me? 

Joonmyun, are you my nanny?

"Er..thanks, I wonder why you asked me to cook rice at first place haha~ luckily we are not eating ramyeon."

After an hour, they both sitting together, with kimchi jjigae and bulgogi served on the table. She smiled when the sweet aroma start filling in the house, as it’s been awhile since she ate home-cooked lunch. Her omma usually just buy takeout and cook only when she feels like doing it, so there’s nothing she adores more than home-cooked foods.  

“It looks good Joonmyun.”

“Baaaaby don’t judge on the looks! Try it! Open your mouth. Aaaaaaa~” He happily picking up some bulgogi and ordered her to open to taste it. She hesitated at first, but looking at his determined face, she let him shove the meat inside .  “Wow Joonmyun, I hate to say this, but it’s really good!” She replied with her thumbs up, and he keeps smiling. “I know it’s good, handsome man cooks better food you know?”

“Crap. Everyone can cook. Now can we start eating? I’m staaaaaaarving like seriously.” She put on her cutest face ever and Joonmyun can’t stop laughing while patting her head. “You’re making that cute face just for food? Awww baaaabyyyy  stop being adorable!” She pouted, and he just keeps laughing while putting bowl of steamy hot rice in front of her. “Okay, now we are good to go. Dig in.”

“Thank you Kim Joonmyun, now let’s eat!”

They keep chatting happily while he can’t stop from putting bulgogi inside her bowl and continuously asking if she needs more rice. As he served kimchi jjigae in pot, their spoons keep clinking with each other.

“Joonmyun let me eat first!”

“Hey it’s my turn! You ate most of it by yourself!”

“Who asked you to be good cook? Now I’m eating like monster!”

She pulled away the pot from middle and put it in front of her. “Now it’s mine. Haha.”

“Uh no. Not a chance baby!” Joonmyun, who refuse to give up, pull the pot and place it next to his bowl.

Since the jjigae only quarter of pot left, they begin to pull the pot like kids and unfortunately, some of the jjigae splashed out due to their ‘tug-of-war’ and stained Joonmyun’s pants.

“Oh my…haha sorry Joonmyun! Now you can eat from your pants!”

“…………baby you’re so meannnnn!” He glared at her, but she simply stuck out her tongue, to ridicule him.

“I told you not to baby me =.=” come here, let me wipe that.”

She took tissues and start wiping his pants slowly. All noises became quiet suddenly and her heart race crazily when she felt a kiss on her hair. “I like your scent.” His hand softly ran through her hair strands and he kissed it again. Now her crazy appetite for Joonmyun's kimchi jjigae went off, due to his weird reaction.

this is weird. Way too weird.

She tried to hide her nervousness and laugh it off. “You can buy the same shampoo as I did. Then you’ll smell just like me haha.”

I hate myself for faking a laugh. Oh God.

“Joonmyun ah, I think you should change your pants. Wait, I get you one for you to change, then we can wash yours.” She quickly stands and walks over to her omma’s room to search for male pants, leaving Joonmyun smiling at dinner table alone.

She handed her appa’s old short pants to him and their hands touched. He smiled again before going to bathroom for change. His smile gave her goosebumps all over her body but she just knocked that sweet view out from her mind. She waited outside the bathroom to take dirty pants for cleaning.

“Hey Jooonmyun ah.”

“Yup?” He answered while he’s in still in bathroom.

“You know..”

“What?”

“You know anyone named Phantom?”