Driving Me Nuts

Masquerade

“Babe?”

Joonmyun’s hand slowly reaching her cheek, to wipe her tears but she aggressively push it away. He was devastated with her action, but he keeps on trying his luck as tears still flowing continuously on her face. When she’s finally tired from pushing him, he slowly caressed her cheek and wiped it softly. She stares at him with her red swollen eyes, but he couldn’t care less.

“I’m sorry..just stop crying please?”

“You’re fcking Kim Joonmyun. I’M NOT CRYING!!” His heart broke into pieces when he heard she’s trying to muffle her sob from being audible despite of all curses he just received.

“Call me anything you want. I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to….”

”Enough. I had enough of this. You drove me nuts.”

She quickly stands up and wrings her wet hair without looking at him. She hated herself for being so weak, crying over someone who trying to play stupid trick on her. Strange feelings engulfed her judgment momentarily when he innocently apologized but she wouldn’t let Joonmyun take her as easy person anymore.

She felt…tired.

“Get in boat now. We’re going back.”

Hurriedly she went to the boat and wears her shirt again. Joonmyun keep on standing next to the boat, looking at her. “10 seconds Joonmyun, or I will just leave you here.”

“Not until you forgive me.”

“I forgive you. Now hop in.” She lazily replied, like nothing happened but Joonmyun still feels insecure. “Joonmyun, I freaking forgive you. I don’t want to give reasons to our teacher later for killing you. SO YOU BETTER COME HERE NOW!”

He slowly enters the boat and she begins to row. She sits at the end of boat, and turns her back at Joonmyun. He forlornly watches her from back, feeling guilty for playing games with her. He never thought his little prank would cause such ruckus.

“Babe…?”

“Hmm?”

She screamed when pair of hands wrapped her collarbone area tightly from behind and automatically she stopped rowing. Feeling furious, she turned her face around, only to find that he landed his head softly on her shoulder. “Baby, I’m..so sorry.”

“Told you I forgive you. Now let me go!”

“You should’ve let me…die.”

She choked on his words, but she decided not to play good partner role anymore. ”Maybe I shou..….” She stopped talking when a soft peck landed on her cheek, and his hug is getting tighter. Again, tears start pooling at the edge of her eyes. “What the fck…let…me go!” she replied stutteringly but he still didn’t let go of her.

“You hated me…that much?”

His soft voice lingering inside her head and his touch impeccably drove her crazy. The scent of his cologne rushed into her system even they’ve been wet for quite sometimes now. Her hand slowly went up to his face when she realizes that she should give Joonmyun piece of her mind instead of comforting him down.

“Hell yes Kim Joonmyun. For million times, LET ME GO!”

“How about…our….daughter?”

“WHAT ON EARTH JOONMYUN!???”

She can’t believe she’s hearing his illogical question at the middle of the lake but that’s one of his cute traits, being innocent. Honestly the thought of having kids gave her so much wonders, but she can’t imagine herself with Joonmyun. She just can’t. The only thing on her head is how adorable would it be when Joonmyun have his own kids in future. However, logically they’re way too young to be parents.

She was born to be alone. Thought of having family scares her. Joonmyun is not even her boyfriend but he insisted of having family with her. The idea itself sounds crappy for her even he might be saying that for joke. Someone from broken family like me would not even dare to..dream, she thought.

Both of them remain silence for awhile when they heard someone rowing closer to them. She swiftly nudged her shoulder to make him move away, afraid their classmates would think otherwise. The wet clothes definitely not a big help for them either. Joonmyun, as getting sign, slowly letting go of his hug and moved backward a little bit. After deep breath, she begins paddling again to the land.

“Joonmyun, after this..you better stay away from me.”

She left him dumbfounded in boat when they reached destination. She handed over their sketches to the teacher and walk home alone, ignoring Miss Yong who’s asking the reason of her wet clothes.

 

________________________________________________________________

MONDAY

Joonmyun feels agitated as she still didn’t arrive at school. The school bell noisily rang throughout the school and he saw Miss Yong on her way to class from afar. She walks into class with huge smile on her face.

“Morning class, I’ve evaluated all your sketches and to be truth, I saw so many good sketches. Keep it up.” Whole class clapped their hands except for Joonmyun, who keep on staring outside. “Ah by the way, Joonmyun’s team got the highest mark on this assessment. Never thought both of them can draw nicely…even they argued few times before doing it. Now come up front, take your partner’s sketches too.” Miss Yong gesturing him to collect their artwork and he sluggishly walk to her. “Good job Joonmyun.Your sketch looks so..alive.” He smiles and begins to take a look at her sketch of himself. He was impressed too. Sudden remorse is attacking him again. He wonders if she moved out from the school because she hated him so much.

‘“You hated me…that much?”

“Hell yes Kim Joonmyun. For million times, LET ME GO!”

He dragged his lazy foot back to his seat after thanking Miss Yong, and looking at her empty seat with unexplainable feelings that even he could not decipher in human language.

_______________________________________________________________________________

He hurriedly went to hospital after their homeroom teacher mentioned that she is currently being warded for severe asthma and high fever yesterday. On his way to visit her, he can’t help from blaming himself for making her swimming on the Saturday just to save stupid like him. He pretty much sure, he’s the one to be blamed for her illness.

Seeing her name in front of the room makes him feel like dying. He nervously knocks on door when a woman in middle of 40 opened it.  “Ah Joonmyun? How did you..?” He unconsciously swallows his saliva to keep himself calm. “Teacher told me omma. How was she? Is it…bad?” He asked her omma once he greeted her. “She’s gonna be fine, and she’s sleeping. Can you please stay for awhile? Omma need to pick her clothes at home. You know, in case she woke up when I am not around.” Her omma smiles kindly and he nodded. He walked slowly into the ward, not to create any loud sounds as she’s currently sleeping.

She is sleeping soundly on bed, with several tubes attached to her body. Her face looks a little bit pale and she had oxygen mask attached to her face. He kissed her forehead and caressed her hair few times. “Baby..I’m here…..are you..okay?” He’s stammering when talking to her, but he could not control his emotions. The view of his sick partner burdened him a lot. He holds her hand while touched her cheek with apologetic face. Gently he brings her hand to his face, and he could not control his feeling anymore. Droplet of tears begin to invade his face when he looked her, lying lifelessly on the bed, makes him feel real bad more than anything he ever felt before.

“You know what? I bring you a flower! Tadaaaaaaa!”

He wiped his tears and tried to entertain her by putting a flower next to her. “Well, I don’t know if you like flower, since you pretty much got mad when I gave you flower before. But this is the only thing free at our school park. Haha~” He laughed awkwardly and re-adjust the flower to her hand. “Wait, you look dead holding it like this. I don’t want you to look dead.” His laugh dies when he himself mentioned the word ‘dead’.

“I don’t want you…to die….”

Tears begin to shamelessly drip onto his face again.

“I know you don’t want to see me….but I just can’t…I missed you so much even you’re only gone for a day…….baby….forgive me….I’m so sorry….don’t leave me alone..I need you..I really do… ”

He can’t explain how guilty he felt right now. If he didn’t do the stupid prank, probably she would be sitting next to him today, smiling all day for getting the highest group mark for their art class. He can’t even explain how much he loved seeing her smile. “Baby, I’m going to see your doctor for awhile…coming back in minutes okay?” When he finally starts regain his composure, he wiped his tears quickly and kiss her cheek gently.

 


“I love you baby.”

 

 

 

After the door closed, she opened her eyes slowly, with tears fell across her cheeks.