Nickhun's Phone Call to His Mother

I found Lee Junho in a box.

‘Sunye-ah. Maybe you should tell him? Maybe he likes you back too.’

‘There are too many maybes. What if he rejects me? What if he tells me that I’m ugly? What if…’

Junho rolled his eyes, he had a feeling that this was a conversation most females had when they liked some guy and were too afraid to confess. ‘So many what ifs Sunye-ah. Just go ahead and tell him.’

‘What’s happening babe?’ Jooyeon had walked in and gave him a hug. She looked at Sunye and gave a small wave, before parting with a piece of semi-shocking news. ‘Nickhun-Oppa is crying. I think he’s on the phone with his mum. Something about someone doesn’t like him or something.’

She paused to see if her words were having the desired effect on Sunye. Of course, Nickhun was crying, she just stretched the truth out a little bit. Although he was having a very emotional phone call with his mother in Thai, but let’s just pretend that Jooyeon does understand Thai. Sunye looked sad, so sad. Was it heartbreak? Let’s hope not. Sunye left the room, without a word.

‘Aww. My sweet Pancake Girl knows Thai?’ Oh no. Mushy couple up ahead. Fluffy bits in this fanfic were a bit scarce.

‘Of course not, Junnie. I just twisted the truth a little bit?’

He pretended to be mad at her, but then gave her a greasy smile. But then a small frown crossed over his face.

‘What’s wrong Junnie?’

‘Don’t call me Junnie. It reminds me of paranoid Jaebeom.’

‘WHO CALLED ME PARANOID?

‘Hyung. You placed a walkie-talkie in here?’

‘Of course. If Park Jaebeom isn’t allowed to put a tracking device on his babies, he must resort to other measures.’

‘Why aren’t you checking up on Chansung instead? Isn’t he the maknae?’

‘Eh. Chansung’s so predictable if he goes missing, we’ll find him near a food supply.’

Suddenly, Junho got an idea. An evil idea. It didn’t matter if Jooyeon was in the room or not, because this idea was ingenious (at least he thought it was.) This idea was going to turn Jaebeom from being Junho’s overprotective mummy into Chansung’s overprotective mummy. I guess Junho was also feeling slightly (a lot) mad at the maknae.

‘Jaebeom-hyung. I think I saw him sneaking off with Yeeun-noona.’

‘WHAT! MY ITALIAN BABY!’

Junho grinned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Nickhun called his mum. Yes. His mum. He still ran to his mother for comfort, even though he was a grown man. She answered immediately. She never wasted time asking if he should be calling her in the middle of the day. She rarely asked about his work, knowing that he would tell her if she needed to know.

Instead, his mother told him news of his beloved hometown in soft soothing tones. She recounted what happened in Thailand on a daily basis in his mother language, as comforting as an old blanket or toy. She told him about the neighbours, scandals, just everything he wanted to know, needed to know, just to imagine himself back in Thailand. He gave her his comments occasionally and she would laugh and say:

‘That’s exactly how I imagined you reacting to the situation, my dear.’

That was why when he didn’t make any response to her retelling of what had happened that morning, she knew something was wrong. It might have been the same as Jaebeom’s supposed motherly instincts, but she did know that something was wrong. Nickhun’s mother continued with the story.

She knew, as she always did, that her son would tell her during this phone call. She knew as she always did, that he was looking for her advice. She knew her son just wanted someone he knew that would love him no matter what choices he made in life, someone that would listen to him, no matter how bad the news was. She knew that her son needed comfort.

That was why when her son told her quietly in Thai: ‘There’s a girl….’ The only surprise to his mother was the cause of his problem.

When he burst into tears though, she wished she could’ve helped him more than the few words of: ‘It’s okay, Nickhun, my dear. Mummy’s here. It’s okay, darling. Don’t cry. Mother’s here.’

The next minutes were made up of listening to her son’s quiet sobs on the other line. Then she heard shuffling and someone comforting him in an unfamiliar language that was most probably Korean. The other person was calm and girly, with soft, smooth tones. She was about to ask him to thank that person for her, when he whispered:

‘She’s here.’

His mother was taken aback. She did not know how to comfort her son in these situations. She had always tried to keep him safe from the sadder things in life, but it was impossible to prepare for moments like this. It was impossible to protect your children from the dangers of falling in love. But it was possible to make them stronger from what didn’t kill them. Her next piece of advice to him was:

‘Tell her, son.’

She heard him say it softly in Thai. Maybe he was facing her now, the girl who had the power to make him come crying to his mother for her. She imagined him with tears running down his face, telling her with the voice he had now.

She heard the girl reply in some of the few Korean phrases she had learnt from her son when he was visiting. ‘What? I don’t understand….’ The rest of the sentence was lost, as she tried to decipher the foreign language.

She could almost see his smile now. She knew that he had gained confidence now that he had his mother’s support. She imagined him, her son, confessing to a girl. She had never once seen her son with a girl, with him having left home to study in America when he was twelve (A/N: Khuntoria does not exist xD at least not in this fic. Pretty please?) She hoped that he would bring her to Thailand one day.

‘Mum. I’ll call you back later.’

Nickhun hung up and turned his attention to Sunye. With the support of his mother, he was now fully ready to confess to her.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OH MY LORD. i must be slipping back into my angst stage.

TELL ME THIS IS GOOD *gets bricked* Im so narcissitic... and big headed... and egoistic.... and stuff ^^ but you still love me xD *gets shot to death*

xD

AEHEHHEHEHHEE *spazz* let me reconfirm my love for the idol named Lee Junho xD

LEE JUNHO SARANGHAE <3<3<3<3<3 *goes crazy*

HOLIDAYS YEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY