Chapter 8:

Big Bang II: The big four

Chapter 8:

 

President YG took his position beside Seungri and gazed at the people in front of him before he cleared his throat.

"Ladies, Gentlemen. Many thanks for being able to attend this meeting at such short notice. I am aware many of you had to cancel or rearrange your plans so I will not take much more of your time." President YG started.

President YG looked at the faces sitting before him, his gaze stopping on Sean, Se7en and Seungri.

“Let’s start the meeting, shall we?”

No one was speaking now, but the very air in the room, reverberated with the bursting need to express the anxiousness each and every one of them felt at what had just occurred.

"Firstly, I would like to announce that Mr Lee Sung Hyun will be the CEO of YG Entertainment.”

The entire meeting room was silent. The board of directors were staring hard at Seungri and President YG, unable to believe what was announced to them.

"I fail to understand why Mr Lee Sung Hyun will be the next CEO of YG Entertainment.” The blonde-haired man with sharp eyes and aristocratic features replied crisply.

 “By looking at YG Entertainment’s current standing in the industry, what could someone like him do to bring the company to a higher level? Based on what we know, Mr Lee Sung Hyun only managed a dance academy.”

 The blonde-haired man with sharp eyes and aristocratic features eyed Seungri ruthlessly before continuing and Seungri felt the familiar dislike build strongly inside him.

 ”I would like to remind you, President YG, that managing a dance academy is very different from managing a record label and talent agency.”

 "I have to disagree," the Japanese director said loudly, his black eyes glaring at the blonde-haired man with sharp eyes and aristocratic features.

 “Based on the number of branches of dance academy existed in both Japan and Korea, I have to admit that Mr Lee Sung Hyun had a strong business mind and I strongly believe that Mr Lee Sung Hyun is the best candidate to manage YG Entertainment with the shortest time available.”

"The position of the CEO is very important," The blonde-haired man with sharp eyes and aristocratic features said briskly, his eyes flickering with annoyance.

 "Is YG Entertainment lacking in talents that President YG had to appoint someone like him with no prior experience in this field to be the next CEO?”

"How dare you insult President YG’s decision!" The Japanese director stood up as he spoke loudly, a distinctly cold edge in his voice.

Seungri felt sick as his pounding headache worsened and wished that the two men could stopped arguing.

 "That’s enough." Se7en said cutting across them. “Instead of arguing whether Seungri is the best candidate to be the CEO of YG Entertainment, why don’t we look at his future performance before we decide?”

 A few of the directors murmured their agreement to Se7en's statement while the Japanese director was breathing heavily but said nothing as he leant back in his seat, absently taking out a silk handkerchief and wiping his sweaty forehead with it.

"Fine, what is it that Mr Lee Sung Hyun had to do? The blonde-haired man with sharp eyes and aristocratic features remarked airily.

"Since all the members of Big Bang are back, why don’t we let Seungri handle Big Bang’s comeback?” Se7en suggested.

At the mention of Big Bang, a ripple of whispers went through the crowd of directors.

"No," Sean answered flatly. “Seungri is now the CEO of YG Entertainment. He is not the CEO of Big Bang. Instead of letting Seungri handle Big Bang’s comeback, I would suggest that we should see how Seungri bring YG Entertainment to a higher level.”

Seungri snapped his head up at what Sean said. During his years as a singer in YG Entertainment, he had always seen Sean as a fatherly figure. However this Sean was a different Sean that he had always known. This Sean had an air of strictness that sent an unwanted chill to ripple down his spine.

“Seungri just joined us as a CEO of YG Entertainment. Isn’t it too harsh to let him handle such as major task?” Se7en retorted.

Sean’s strict facial expression did not change as he retorted back in the same tone of voice as Se7en.

“Just like what one of the directors had said, Seungri is the best candidate to manage YG Entertainment with the shortest time available because he had a strong business mind.”

 “Besides, if Seungri could not handle a task like this, I doubt President YG would select Seungri as the next CEO of YG Entertainment.” Sean continued.

“What do you think, President YG?”

Seungri sat with his fists clenched tightly. He tried to block out the argument between Se7en and Sean. He is not an object. What gave them the right to decide what he should do to proof that he is capable enough to be the next CEO of YG Entertainment?  

"I agree with what Sean had suggested. Because this task involves Seungri, I wanted Seungri to make the decision himself.” President YG looked at Seungri who in turn was staring at him with a shocked expression.

"Mr Lee Sung Hyun, which tasks do you want to proof that you are capable enough to be the next CEO of YG Entertainment?” President YG asked.

"I…I…I…" Seungri didn't know what to say. Both tasks were not easy as his numbed mind was trying frantically to decide.

"This isn't a hard question, Mr Lee Sung Hyun. Which task do you want to proof that you are capable enough to be the next CEO of YG Entertainment?” President YG asked once more.

Slowly, Seungri relaxed, exhaling as his fingers uncurled so that they revealed tiny crescent shaped marks in his palms as he looked at President YG, trying to figure out why he was asking such a question when President YG could make the decision himself.

Seungri thought hard about which task he should choose. Managing Big Bang’s comeback seems easier than managing the future of YG Entertainment.

 But, Big Bang is no longer a group of youngsters and by looking at the example of Shin Hwa’s comeback, Seungri felt that the results might not be overwhelming enough to proof that he is capable enough to be the next CEO of YG Entertainment.

In addition, the thought of working together with Tae Yang made him felt pure hatred, with flames of enmity that could never be put out.

On the other hand, what could he do to revive YG Entertainment’s position in the industry and bring the company to a higher level? Debut another male or female band? Or maybe…he should try to suggest partnership with the other major entertainment companies to promote Korean pop music internationally? But it is a hectic process trying to convince the leaders to agree and work with him.

Seungri’s mind raced ahead seizing upon fact after sickening fact until Seungri looked at President YG carefully before answering.

“I have made my decision.”

For the first few minutes there was silence. All were paying close attention to Seungri’s answer.

“I will take up the task suggested by Sean sunbea nim.”

"Alright," President YG replied and a smile softened his hard features. “I hope to see some results from you.”

***

Once the meeting ended and Sean, Se7en, President YG and the board of directors were gone, and the door had shut with a soft click, Seungri sagged as he raised his hand and rubbed the side of his head gently once more.

The meeting had totally drained him mentally. With a last glance at the many articles that lay in front of him, Seungri walked out of the meeting room with determination blazing in his mind.

There’s a possibility that by accepting Sean’s task, it might be a good opportunity for him to find out more about Hyun Seng’s death.

With that in mind, Seungri vowed that he would not fail.

No…He could not fail.

 The fate of YG Entertainment and the truth of Hyun Seng’s death as a whole were at stake, and failure meant destruction for them all.


Merry Xmas!!! =)

 

Translation of the video:

To the fans who are in Korea, how are you spending christmas? Me, Santa Seungri is sending this message, hoping your christmas will be a pleasant and more happy. Thank everyone for your hard work. Hope you forget about tiring, exhausting, hard and sad thingy, and make good memories with lover and your family. Nah, so, I hope you guys will love us very much.  Now Santa Seungri is going to distribute gifts again. VIPs who are in Korea, Merry Christmas and happy new year!

translated by: @luekim