Chapter 17:

Big Bang II: The big four

Chapter 17:

Tae Yang was relieved when he heard G Dragon walking along the walkway behind him.

Even though G Dragon made a small sound of protestation behind him, it was at least better than him running away the moment he stopped dragging G Dragon out of the room.

“Seriously, Tae Yang,” G Dragon groaned. “I don’t think it’s a good idea for Seungri and I to talk it out. I’m sure that we would end up quarrelling again.”

“No, both of you would not end up quarrelling again.” Tae Yang said in the firm, practical voice he usually used when trying to convince Dae Sung to go along with something as they continued walking along the walkway.

“Just control your temper and talk nicely.” Tae Yang went on as they rounded the corner. "He will listen."

G Dragon's lips twitched as if he wanted to speak, but G Dragon said nothing, unwilling to disagree with Tae Yang that he had a bad temper.

At the thought of Seungri’s and Tae Yang’s situation, G Dragon ran his tongue along his lower lip.

 “Tae Yang….have you thought of having a talk with Seungri as well…” G Dragon began.

As soon as G Dragon spoke, Tae Yang stopped walking before turning his head in the direction of G Dragon. Tae Yang did not know how to articulate his feelings without giving voice to truths too terrible to ponder. Even the fact that G Dragon knew his inner thoughts and had shown only understanding was insufficient to put him at ease.

At last he spoke, his voice so soft that it was almost inaudible. “This is something that could not be solved by just talking….”

For a long time G Dragon was silent. He was quiet for so long that Tae Yang managed to reign in his fragile mask of composure and dared to look at his best friend to see G Dragon watching him intently, his mouth very tight at the corners.

“How did you know that it would not work it out in the end?” G Dragon asked.

“Seungri…” G Dragon was cut off by Tae Yang.

 “Ji Yong, your situation and mines are different,” Tae Yang paused, looking as if he was about to begin a speech, but ultimately deciding against it. "Let’s not talk about this, please. Settling your issue with Seungri is more important right now. ”

G Dragon eyed Tae Yang with an emotion that Tae Yang couldn't quite identify and gave a bleak smile. "You haven't called me Ji Yong in years. Not since we started calling each other G Dragon and Tae Yang."

Tae Yang’s only response was a sad and sympathetic smile as he gazed up at the empty walk way.

“I guess, this is what happens when time passes,” Tae Yang replied softly, a faraway look in his eyes and G Dragon could detect a note of regret beneath his words that deepened with each syllable.

G Dragon was about to open his mouth to object, but Tae Yang continued swiftly.

“Seungri’s office is just a few steps ahead.  I will wait for you here.” Tae Yang said smoothly, pointing to his right. “Go on.”

G Dragon looked at Tae Yang, wasn't quite certain how to respond to Tae Yang’s sudden change of subject. And with that, he turned round and walked towards Seungri’s office.

***

Having heard of SM Entertainment’s CEO, Lee Soo Man’s character, Seungri is now desperate to find the most suitable influential people in SM Entertainment to talk to. He couldn't rest, couldn't eat or sleep.

He was in his office studying at the many articles on his table all the time, even through the night. However, he still wasn't any closer to finding the most suitable influential people in SM Entertainment to talk to about the controversy of TVXQ and SM Entertainment though and this frustrated him.

With a sigh, Seungri closed his eyes, blocking out the pictures and every single information he read from his mind for a moment until a gentle knock came at the door.

“Come in.” Seungri called out.

Slowly, the large double oak wood doors opened, revealing someone whom he had a quarrel with few days ago.

“Seungri," G Dragon stated as he stood, feeling uncomfortable with himself now. "I need to talk to you."

Seungri exhaled wearily, running a hand over his hair before he watched G Dragon’s unmoving face for a brief moment.

 “Are you going to talk about the task?” Seungri said, resting his elbows on the table, gripping his fists together until his knuckles turned white. “Can we stop discussing something that had already been decided? I…”

“I just don't understand," G Dragon said shortly, more to himself than Seungri as he began wildly pacing back and forth in angry frustration. "I don't understand. I don't understand why you did not choose big bang’s comeback as your choice. You of all people knew how much I wanted big bang to be together….”

"G Dragon hyung, stop!" Seungri said firmly. Hearing Seungri raised his voice was such a surprise that G Dragon did stop.

 "Have you thought about the future of YG Entertainment?  Do you want YG Entertainment to survive solely on just big bang alone?" Seungri paused a moment and looked at G Dragon pointedly. "Besides, I had already given my choice during the board of directors meeting and there’s nothing I could do to change my decision.”

Just then, G Dragon was impossible to read. He stood very still, a flurry of emotions crossing his face, so fleet that Seungri couldn't even decipher one. For a terrible moment, Seungri was certain that G Dragon would create a scene. But then, much to his relief, G Dragon’s chin quivered in what he supposed was a nod as G Dragon noticed the piles of articles on his table.

There was a good minute and a half of silence before G Dragon spoke again.

“So, what do you intend to do for your task?” G Dragon asked.

Seungri didn't answer right away, not really wanting to come to the reality of the situation.

“With the rise of hallyu, I thought of joining forces with the major entertainment companies in Korea to develop an industry that will push hallyu into a much more global market. “ Seungri said, knowing it sounded vague.

G Dragon stared at him, in complete disbelief of what he was hearing. "This is crazy," he said quietly before he took a stack of articles on Seungri’s table.

 “No one had managed to enter the western market successfully. Let alone the global market.”

G Dragon flicked distastefully through the articles. There were one or two strips of post it notes, rough bookmarks, marking some chapters. He stopped on the first of the bookmarked articles bearing a title that caught his eye:  

“SM Entertainment files injunction against sale of JYJ’s “The Beginning” album”

G Dragon felt his face pale. "And the first thing you intended to do is to talk about the controversy of TVXQ and SM Entertainment with President Lee Soo Man?” he asked still trying to make sense of the situation.

“Have you been so out of touch with the entertainment industry that you have no idea what kind of person he is?” G Dragon scolded in a harsh whisper. “Did you forget about a similar issue with ex super junior member, Han Geng who had filed for contract termination from SM Entertainment? In addition, what makes you think that President Lee Soo Man would listen to you? Even President YG doesn’t even get the chance to meet him in person!”

Seungri sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I know. That is also the reason why I am looking for the most suitable influential people in SM Entertainment to talk to about the controversy of TVXQ and SM Entertainment."

G Dragon clenched his jaw at Seungri’s answer and when Seungri looked up at him, Seungri saw G Dragon shaking his head desperately, as though trying to clear his thoughts.

 “I failed to understand.” G Dragon asked, looking at Seungri as if he were mad. “With countless ways to complete your task, why this?”

Seungri let out a sigh as he leaned back in the chair before answering.

"It's hard to explain….”

There was a long silence, during which G Dragon seemed to be doing some very hard thinking. Then his gaze shifted to Seungri, his eyes blazing with determination.

“Tell me, Seungri. Tell me everything," G Dragon said with gentle authority.

***

G Dragon remained silent after that, uncertain what to say next. His head bowed deep in thought as Seungri watched him closely, his frown deepening.

“I know that the controversy of TVXQ and SM Entertainment is a very complicated issue.” Seungri started calmly. “But, I have to do this in order to pay my gratitude towards what Lee Teuk san and Eun Hyuk hyung have done to help me.”

G Dragon paced a little as Seungri looked at G Dragon in concern. Despite his casual posture, G Dragon looked ill at ease. His arms were crossed over his chest and the knuckles of his right hand, gripping the crook of the opposite elbow, were white.

"Seungri," G Dragon suddenly said, sounding very official. "Hold on, I will be right back.”

Before Seungri could ask what G Dragon was about to do, G Dragon bolted out of his office and entered his office again. This time, with Tae Yang beside him.

Seungri looked mortified. "Hear me out here, G Dragon Hyung," he said. "The task is…”

G Dragon cut Seungri off before Seungri could reject whatever he was going to do as G Dragon fiercely met Seungri’s eyes with his own eyes.

“The task is not only a test to see whether you are capable enough to be the next CEO of YG Entertainment. The task also concerns about the future of YG Entertainment. Everyone plays a part in the future of YG Entertainment, Seungri. I don't want to sit back and leave my fate in someone else's hands. I don't want to stand back and watch you struggle and not being able to do anything about it. As your hyung and the leader of big bang, I want to participate in securing the future of YG Entertainment. I believe that the rest of the big bang members think the same way as I do.”

G Dragon finished and looked at Seungri. Seungri sat still as he listened to G Dragon's words. G  Dragon could tell that Seungri was struggling to allow G Dragon and the rest of the big bang members to help him.

 His words had definitely struck him and Seungri looked between the two of his hands, as if weighing the different options. When Seungri looked as if he was about to decline, G Dragon added, "Do you want to help Lee Teuk san and Eun Hyuk hyung or not? Five minds are after all, better than one.”

Seungri looked at G Dragon. Seungri found that he couldn't think of a valid excuse to turn G Dragon’s suggestion away. Like what G Dragon said, five minds are after all, better than one

Biting his bottom lip, Seungri grudgingly gave in, "Fine."

G Dragon’s face broke into a huge grin the very moment Seungri gave in.

“Great! I’ll look for TOP hyung and inform Dae Sung to come over after he’s done with his vocal trainings.” G Dragon said before leaving the office once more, leaving Seungri and Tae Yang alone in the office.

***

As Tae Yang watched G Dragon leave the office, Tae Yang wondered if perhaps this was what it meant to have a true friend. That even when he made stupid mistakes and caused big bang to be separated fifteen years ago, G Dragon was willing to stand by him. Even although G Dragon had been upset that Seungri did not choose big bang’s come back as his task, he was ready to move on as if it had never happened.

Then Tae Yang realized that he felt just the same way about the rest of the big bang members as well. Back then, G Dragon was sometimes thoughtless, and TOP, Dae Sung and Seungri have certainly made their share of foolish mistakes, but Tae Yang was always happy to excuse their faults. He did not make them grovel for forgiveness, and more often than not he did not even say they were forgiven. He did not need to.

Perhaps this was, after all, precisely what it meant to be a friend.

As Tae Yang stole a sidelong glance at Seungri, Tae Yang saw Seungri’s expression changed and it hardened. Tae Yang could see that Seungri was trying to keep his hatred of him under control.

The sad thought that he was not forgiven by Seungri surfaced, but Tae Yang forced it back down as he waited for Seungri to tell him to leave.

To his surprise, Seungri did not instruct him to leave. Instead, Seungri took one of the articles from his table, but before reading, Seungri looked at Tae Yang before tilting his head to the lap top at the other end of the office.

“You can use that laptop to search more information on the influential people in SM Entertainment.”

Tae Yang was taken aback. Of all the possible outcomes he had played out in his head, this was definitely not one of the ones he anticipated. Nevertheless, hearing what Seungri had said, a small smile appeared on Tae Yang’s lips.

 Maybe, just maybe, there was hope for Seungri to forgive him after all.

Just as Tae Yang was about to open his mouth to speak, Seungri was no longer looking at him, he was focused on the article in his hand.

And the rest of the time, neither said a word as both of them concentrated on searching more information on the influential people in SM Entertainment all except for the branches brushing against each other in a sudden gust of wind, their leaves whispering as they quivered in the air outside Seungri’s window.