Chapter 23

Big Bang II: The big four

 

Chapter 23:

 

It was a windy evening and the streets near CUBE Entertainment seemed to be bursting with activity. Tall, tan skinned, and slender, Doo Joon strode forward with a sense of purpose, power, and determination. His jet-black hair perfectly styled, it didn't as much as move from the wind. His black eyes were glaring straight ahead walking pass buildings of various sizes, shapes, and colours dotted the sides of the wide street. Doo Joon smelled kimchi in the nearby street food store, saw children running down the path, and heard the gruff voices of vendors advertising their shops until he noticed a familiar figure.

Doo Joon almost hadn't recognized her at first.

 Her dark brown hair had been long, falling nearly to her waist, ever since the day she returned to CUBE Entertainment, but now it was cut to her shoulders. Even so, it had to be her. He had known her for more than fifteen years and he would have been easily able to tell it apart out of a thousand other brown shades.

Dressed in a light brown overcoat, HyunA walked gracefully down the street as if being oblivious to the growing infatuations around her. Men briefly forgot about the wives they had at their hips from gazing lustfully at HyunA's perfections. On the other hand, women looked at her in both jealousy and awe with her beauty.

Almost all-knowing, Doo Joon found himself staring at her as well. On the surface, some viewed HyunA as the princess of CUBE Entertainment, something exquisite and wonderful, something too beautiful to touch, an alien creature sprung to life from merely ordinary parents.

 Some called her Pae Wang Seak which she was most commonly known by that ridiculous title in private discussions. It meant “y Goddness”, a title created by netizens about her ability to conquer the K-pop industry with God given iness.

But, Doo Joon saw what everyone else was blind to. He saw a lonely Hyuna, who could not remember shedding a tear, ever since she re-entered the entertainment world after she left JYP Entertainment.

Doo Joon had heard the story of how she was removed from the group, wonder girls, due to health issues. However, whether the story was true or whether the reason on why she left JYP Entertainment was sugar coated, only Hyuna, herself would know the truth.

"HyunA looked even more stunning and ier ever since she came back from Japan didn’t she?"

A languid voice said silkily as Jun Hyung stood beside Doo Joon.

 When Doo Joon didn't comment, Jun Hyung continued on.

“What a pity that I’m already married to Hara.”

Doo Joon turned sideways, casting a glance at Jun Hyung.

“Why don’t you get a divorce?" Doo Joon asked, somewhat amused. “Your marriage with Hara had already been on the rocks anyway.”

Jun Hyung smiled painfully. "And get even more attention from the media?”

"I can make the media quiet about it if you want." Doo Joon commented absently before he moved onto a more important topic.

 "I assumed you have come here to tell me something?"

"That's certainly part of it," Jun Hyung said carefully, his eyes darted left to right cautiously to make sure that no one would eavesdrop on their conversation.

"I went for a drink in a pub and I overheard a group of people, most probably the board of directors from YG Entertainment talking about Seungri." Jun Hyung informed Doo Joon.

Doo Joon did not react to this information, hardly blinking at the news.

"What did they say?” A note of curiosity laced Doo Joon's voice. "The board of directors were pleased about Seungri becoming the next CEO of YG Entertainment?”

Jun Hyung frowned thoughtfully.

"I doubt so. Naïve is the most civil name I have ever heard in their conversation on Seungri’s task on bringing YG Entertainment to a higher level." Jun Hyung explained seriously before Jun Hyung sighed, his eyes troubled.

“Doo Joon, I heard that Seungri have a strong business mind. What if Seungri managed to succeed? I fear that it will affect CUBE Entertainment.”

Doo Joon actually smiled, his lips twisting in wry amusement.

"No matter how great his business mind is," Doo Joon stated, "Business in the entertainment world is totally different from his Seungri academy business.”

"You're right, you're right," Jun Hyung conceded. "Out of curiosity, what do you think Seungri would do?”

There was a momentary silence, before Doo Joon answered. “If I am Seungri, I would suggest partnership with the other major entertainment companies to promote Korean pop music internationally.”

"Talking about major entertainment companies, I just remembered that I have a meeting with President Lee Soo Man in a few days." Doo Joon murmured.

“President Lee Soo Man wanted to meet you?" Jun Hyung asked, raising an eyebrow. “You must feel honoured since not many could get the chance to meet him.

Doo Joon let out a breath of laughter.

"I guess, I should," Doo Joon agreed shortly before he turned to leave but stopped when he remembered something and spoke one last time.

“Ah yes, I almost forgot to mention that Yang Yoseob have finally agreed to come back to CUBE Entertainment. I hope that you could work with him for a comeback that I always wanted.”

Jun Hyung brightened immediately at the news.

"It is no problem at all, Doo Joon." Jun Hyung assured him, pushing his sunglasses farther up his nose before following Doo Joon.

***

Everyone in the room waited for Dae Sung’s answer patiently while Dae Sung went quiet for a moment, his eyes lowered to the ground in silent consideration before he looked back up at the room.

“To speak the truth, I don’t know who to choose as well.” Dae Sung acknowledged quietly.

“Kangta sunbea nim is a director of SM Entertainment and he is ranked second in hierarchy within SM Entertainment. While for BoA sunbea nim, not only is she ranked third in hierarchy within SM Entertainment, she had always been serving as a bridge between the company and the artists over the years. Both of them are equally influential and both of them are equally loyal towards SM Entertainment.”

Seungri didn't say anything but his brow creased at Dae Sung's words, worry flashing in his eyes.

“If I really have to choose, I guess BoA sunbea nim would be a better choice.” Dae Sung continued. “Since BoA sunbea nim and Yun Ho sunbea nim are best friends, I doubt she would not help her best friend. But, based on what I know, BoA sunbea nim is currently in America…”

Seungri shook his head, unknowingly. The task is even more complicated than he imagined. "Dae Sung hyung, do you have any idea when BoA sunbea nim will be back in Korea?"

After a mere moment of silence, Dae Sung looked at Seungri.

“No," Dae Sung answered.

For the second time that evening, Seungri didn't say anything but his brow creased at Dae Sung's words, worry flashing in his eyes.

"Looks like I have to make a trip to America," Seungri said, crossing his arms as he leaned back in his chair.

Agreement rippled through the room until G Dragon suddenly looked at Seungri.

“Seungri, bring Tae Yang with you since Tae Yang is fluent in English. I will contact CL to help provide accommodation since she’s in America.”

Seungri stared wide eyed at G Dragon, his words ringing in his ears, as Seungri imagined himself for an instant spending days and days in a foreign country with Tae Yang. 

Flashes of the past on what Tae Yang had done came back to him and Seungri felt his heart was being squeezed and he felt his stomach turned upside down.

"What...? Seungri asked. “Bring Tae Yang hyung with me? “No, no, no. I can handle this without Tae Yang hyung.”

“My English have gotten better. I believe that I could survive in America with my English.”

G Dragon just stared at Seungri for another few moments.

"Is that so?" G Dragon murmured. “Try speaking an English sentence so that I could decide whether Tae Yang should follow you to America.”

Seungri felt his mouth went dry at G Dragon’s request, but Seungri have to force an English sentence out, he had no other choice.

Steeling himself, Seungri spoke an English sentence with as much confidence as he could.

 “We on the battle with the blizzard.”

G Dragon fell silent at what Seungri had said before he sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

 "Tae Yang, just go to America with Seungri."

 


 “We on the battle with the blizzard.”  - Credits go to Seungri, Big Bang Alive Tour around the world documentry

 "Pae Wang Seak" - Credits go to SNL Korea