Chapter 31:

Big Bang II: The big four

Chapter 31:

 

The moment Doo Joon took a step out of elevator, he knew that something was not right. He paused, his gaze sharpening and becoming as hard as flint. It’s quite unusual to see loyal bodyguards that usually followed Kangta standing along the walkway.

Instantly, Doo Joon felt the excitement of getting the rare chance to meet President Lee Soo Man before turning quickly to disappointment. 

Doo Joon would have turned back, but doing so would be a sign of disrespect, and it would not be a good idea to keep a bad impression on the number one entertainment company in Korea, SM Entertainment regardless of whom he is meeting is President Lee Soo Man or not.

Doo Joon hurried on forward, his footsteps echoing loudly in the quiet corridor. He passed a few more bodies, burly men in suits, men who looked as if that they hadn't had the time to pull out their pistols before their enemy had scythed through them until another man in formal black wear appeared before him with a welcoming bow.

 "Welcome, our director has been expecting your arrival.” The young man explained as he lead Doo Joon into the oriental styled room, with its walls often splashed of darkly red or pearly white, patterned with soft pink and white blossoms and lustrous wooden panels that lined the floor and walls. The room was silent which only echoed the footsteps of Doo Joon’s, but at the same time, it seemed to be teeming with life that watched Doo Joon from its dark cracks underneath until Doo Joon noticed a figure sitting behind the desk, with his smartphone in his hand.

 "Good evening, Kangta sunbea nim," Doo Joon smiled and bowed respectfully.

"Sit down," Kangta dismissed his greeting with an impatient wave, and set away the smartphone he was reading over to the side and Doo Joon obeyed meekly with no more words. He inspected Kangta’s inexpressive features with a pretext of slight interest at the smartphone on the table.

Kangta offered Doo Joon a cup of tea.

“I sincerely apologize of President Lee Soo Man’s absence. He had something more important to look into.”  

Doo Joon studied Kangta over his teacup, his long fingers wrapped around the boiling water, unable to feel the scorching heat.

"Is President Lee Soo Man having some trouble due to the controversy of TVXQ and SM Entertainment?”

Doo Joon ran a finger along the rim of his teacup without taking a sip of tea. He was too focused on Kangta's reaction. He was positive that Kangta must have been monitoring about the company’s situation from his smartphone. He had suspected as much for a while, so the information itself didn't interest him, but the way Kangta would deliver the information did.

Kangta looked only amused.

"I assume anyone with the capability to read knows," Kangta paused. "But, I believe that President Lee Soo Man could handle the situation well.”

“If that’s the case,” Doo Joon suggested composedly before he sipped at the warm tea.

“What’s your purpose for meeting me?”

A smile spreads over Kangta's features.

"Do you want to come over to SM Entertainment?” Kangta continued.

“Looking at how much you have achieved for CUBE Entertainment, both President Lee Soo Man and I feel that it’s a waste for such a talent to not be in SM Entertainment.”

Doo Joon lifted one eyebrow, his hand moving to the teacup again to give it an occupation as he let Kangta talk on.

“Of course, in order to convince you to join SM Entertaiment, I’m thinking of making an unprecedented sort of offer.” Kangta said with a determined lift of his chin.

“For starters, I’ll commission you with a blank check annual salary. If you write down what’s your worth, that’s your salary.”

“What do you think?” Kangta asked sipping his tea calmly.

Doo Joon stared at him, in complete disbelief of what he was hearing. "It’s a very tempting offer," he said quietly before taking another sip of his tea.

“But, I have no intentions to join SM Entertainment.”

Kangta's eyes seemed to intensify as they pierced into Doo Joon. "I respect such dedication. Others will not. However, if you ever change your mind….”

“I will not change my mind about making this decision," Doo Joon said, effectively cutting him short, keeping a well-practiced face devoid of any emotion, a personal tactic that he had honed over the years that had not failed him in facing people like Kangta.

Neither one said anything after that until the great doors swung open and the man in formal black wear came through, walking very quickly but in short, sharp steps. His eyes were full of worries and his cheeks were flushed. He hurried up the length of the table and stood beside Kangta.

"Forgive me for interrupting," the man in formal black wear gazed at Kangta intensely and worriedly. “Something has happened in America…”

 Kangta clenched his jaw at the sudden news and when Doo Joon looked up at him, he saw an evident vain throbbing at his temple.

 Doo Joon watched with deep seated satisfaction before he finished his tea and placing it carelessly on the table before he stood up.

The very sight of a troubled Kangta could make up the loss of unable to see President Lee Soo Man.

Quick as a flash, a smile graced Kangta’s lips professionally.

"It’s unfortunate that we have to end our meeting so soon," Kangta spoke as he stood up as well.

"I would advise you to think about it," Kangta spoke confidently. "Not many get the chance like you do. Don't forget that, Doo Joon."

Doo Joon gave a curt nod in response, knowing that the conversation was over.

"Please, you don't have to see me out," Doo Joon drawled generously as if he had granted Kangta a great favor. "You have more important duties to attend to.”

"Farewell and have a good evening," Doo Joon executed a very smooth bow before he walked out, not wanting to linger in the same room as Kangta any longer than absolutely necessary.

***

It had gone faster than he had calculated, Doo Joon decided as he made his way through the walkway until he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket.

Doo Joon raised his eyebrows when he saw Jun Hyung’s name appearing on the screen on his phone.

Doo Joon pressed the green button to answer the call before he brought it to his ear.

"That was fast,” Doo Joon said casually as he pressed a button in front of the elevator, bringing the elevator shuddering to life. "I thought it would take quite some time for both of you to…”

The doors to the elevators opened and Doo Joon froze at what Jun Hyung told him over the phone.

Doo Joon was quiet. He had not expected that from Yang Yoseob so soon.

"So, what happens now?" Doo Joon heard Jun Hyung asked worriedly over the phone.

Doo Joon walked into the elevator and pressed the button once more. Silently, he raged against the situation he now found himself in. This new information could contaminate his carefully laid plans.

It was a good minute or two before Doo Joon finally spoke.

"There's a situation in America in SM Entertainment,” Doo Joon replied, genuinely concerned now.

“Check on it and clear every single evidence if there’s any connection with Yang Yoseob.”

“As for Yang Yoseob,” Doo Joon sighed and ran fingers through his hair and he stood in silence, pondering deeply.

After a few seconds, as if he had reached a final conclusion, Doo Joon swallowed against the bitter taste in his throat, and he spoke hollowly.

“Find out his current location for me. I will settle this.”

***

Tae Yang and CL watched in silence as BoA paced the floor in one of the rooms in SM Entertainment, trying to prevent any news that happened hours ago from spreading.

“We need to get this news under control.” BoA spoke agitatedly over the phone.

“I know that it’s tough….”

Tae Yang and CL did not know how long they sat at one of the rooms in SM Entertainment along with Boa and Seungri as both of them tried their hardest to ignore the commanding match going on between Boa and the other person over the phone.

While all of this was going on, Seungri was sitting at a corner after giving his statement to the American polices, trying to get over the attack hours ago. He tried to stay calm, but his head was still full of images he couldn't banish from his mind.

Seungri tried not to think too much about it but that was rather difficult. Every time he closed his eyes, the images of fake Hyun Seng, the actions he had done and the conversation he had with the fake Hyun Seng would play like a movie in his mind. It wouldn't stop.

His eyes flickered to the right when the light from a coffee machine caught his attention. Hoping that a cup of coffee could distract his mind, Seungri slowly dragged himself towards it before taking his wallet out. He mindlessly pressed a few buttons before putting the cup in place, waiting for it to be filled with the hot beverage.

Time was passing by even slower by the second.

He heard the final drip as the machine ceased its noise, but he didn't reach it for the cup immediately. Seungri's hand was extremely shaky and he was afraid that if he grabbed it, he would drop it.

"Kangta sunbea nim!"

Immediately Seungri raised his head, leaving his coffee untouched as he watched Kangta strode into the room, getting more information about the situation before giving out instructions in detail.

 Seungri silently watched in awe as he noticed every single staffs from SM Entertainment unconsciously began to straighten up, eyes glinting with new resolution before feeling the stress level in him dangerously increasing with every passing second.

For the very first time, Seungri realised the vast difference of leadership between him and Kangta.

There’s no way that he could get to that level.

Why did he agree with President YG’s request in the first place?

Suddenly, the sound of footsteps walking towards him brought Seungri out of his thoughts.

Even though Kangta didn't appear furious, but something about him made Seungri feel that he was treading dangerous waters, capable of drowning at any second.

"You must be Seungri," Kangta's lips lifted in a barely there smile. "I have heard news about you being the next CEO of YG Entertainment.”

“I was expecting someone great since President YG have contributed so much to the Korean music industry.” Kangta paused for a moment before he continued.

“How disappointing…”