Chapter 4

Big Bang II: The big four

Chapter 4:

 

Fifteen years was a long time.

Doo Joon knew that he had changed in fifteen years, but he wasn't exactly sure of every single little change. Any change that had occurred happened gradually as many things do. But there was one aspect about him that he knew for certain. How it had changed, how it hadn't—he knew it all too well.

He was a better liar now. He hadn't been a bad liar before, but there were minute details that often gave him away to the experienced. A twitch here, a flicker of the eye there. But fifteen years was long enough to eradicate such habits. He had dabbled in plenty of funny business to the point that he could not afford to have any movements, not even the smallest batting of the eyelid, give him away, in order to get to the position he is right now so that he could fulfil Hyun Seng’s request.

He hadn't taken away President Hong’s position in the company. But he had managed to get President Hong’s trust at least.

 It was not difficult actually. Since the president wanted someone to create a future in CUBE Entertainment, all he did was just recruiting talented singers that were being out casted by their companies. To Doo Joon, this move is a win win situation. With these singers’ slave like devotion, CUBE Entertainment became one of the major entertainment companies in Korea, commonly known as the big four.

Such success under Doo Joon’s leadership came sooner than his own calculation, which he did not mind at all. Not only did he gain President Hong’s trust and fellow co-worker’s respect by making CUBE Entertainment one of the major entertainment companies in Korea, he also increased his value in the industry.

He hadn't demanded the world's attention the way some business leaders did. He was simply granted it. He had done very little, said even less, yet even the most respected leaders in the industry are keeping an eye on him. That was power.

Doo Joon looked down at his marble chess set, analysing each piece carefully, making sure nothing was out of place. His black eyes scanned the board until he soon spotted something. All the pieces were set according to his plan, but right there was a piece standing proudly against the chessboard, far away from the others that were positioned on the black and white marble board as if not wanting to be joined with them. It was none other than the black knight.

Doo Joon picked up the rebellious black knight and closely examined it as his memories drifted back to the day, Hyun Seng’s father came looking for him few months ago.

***

"Please, I need your help." Hyun Seng’s father pleaded. “There’s no way that Hyun Seng could die like this…”

Hyun Seng’s father looked up to look at Doo Joon, his own eyes pleading him, showing how desperate he was.

“There’s no way that Hyun Seng could die like this…” Hyun Seng’s father repeated once more. His muscles were tensed and every nook and cranny of his body screamed at him to do something, anything to proof that his son was murdered. It was only his supreme will that kept him from breaking down.

Doo Joon was silent while his face went slack as all emotion just slid off of it. For a moment, he remained perfectly still, like a marble statue.

"This is not my business," Doo Joon answered.

"Hyun Seng was one of your band members!" Hyun Seng’s father protested and his raised voice echoed around the empty room. "How can you not care?"

"I am only just someone working under CUBE Entertainment,” Doo Joon rebuked mildly. The only sign of his emotions was a flash of anger that roared through the chasm of his eyes. "What makes you think that I could help you in this? Why don’t you look for the police for help?'"

Hyun Seng’s father slammed his hands down on the table and Doo Joon was almost taken aback with the ferociousness of action.

"I wouldn’t waste 15 years proving that my son was murdered if I could ask for help from the police!" Hyun Seng’s father snarled. "But, when I went to get the CCTV footage the day before he died, I realised that the video had been tempered with!”

The information of the CCTV footage being tempered with made Doo Joon's pulse began to race and his fingers were curled so tightly around the arms of his chair that they were white from the strain. He remembered vividly that he gave instructions to the guard to remain the CCTV footage as it is.

Does that mean that President Hong took the footage away?

No, it’s impossible. If the president knew about it, there’s no way that he would be alive right now.

Doo Joon’s mind turned blank for the first time in his life. It wasn't supposed to be this way. He wanted Hyun Seng’s father to find out about the footage so that he could pull Seungri into the situation, just like what he planned initially.

Someone had been there! Someone must have gone to visit Hyun Seng that day.

He first thought was the rest of the members from Beast. But, there’s no way that they would stay quiet about it.

 So, who was it? What’s the person’s purpose for keeping quiet and how is he going to turn the situation back to his initial plan? 15 years of effort can’t go to waste just like this.

"That's unfortunate," Doo Joon spoke slowly, his mind whirling with numerous thoughts. “I could try to look into this matter. But, in order for me to help you, I need a little help from you…”

Trembling with emotion and the relief that he had at least attracted Doo Joon’s interest to help him, Hyun Seng’s father nodded stiffly.

"I’m willingly to do anything…" The words escaped Hyun Seng’s father’s lips before he could compose them. “How could I help you?”

"It’s actually a very simple task,” Doo Joon said and clapped his hands together. "I need you to fake a will.”

***

There was a polite series of short knocks against his chamber door.

Doo Joon looked up from his task and answered indifferently, "Enter."

President Hong’s secretary peaked in from the crack, and reminded him dutifully, "Director Yoon, the president wished for you to be down to give a speech to our artists about the achievements the company had accomplished."

"How troublesome…” Doo Joon commented as he ran his hand through his black hair giving a heavy sigh as he did so.” I'll be down immediately. You may leave."

With that said, President Hong’s secretary bowed one last time before leaving and closing the door behind him, leaving Doo Joon behind as he pondered the identity of person who tempered with the CCTV footage.

***

The soft sounds of heels against the polished wooden floor reverberated throughout the hallway as HyunA stalked the hall, graceful and elegant in her y tight fit black dress. Her thick, luscious hair cascaded down her back in layers, like the most beautiful chocolate waterfall. Although her hair was mostly loose, parts were braided from the top of her head down to her back, where her hair ended. Her bangs were wild on the right side of her face, but they only served to make her appear even more untouchable, even more... ravishing.

Her eyes held authority as she set her pace a bit slower, enchanting the many whose eyes were set on her petite figure.

"HyunA!" A languid voice said silkily as Jun Hyung’s face materialized from the crowd.

"Good afternoon, Jun Hyung sunbea nim," HyunA greeted him pleasantly. "How have you been?"

"Fine," Jun Hyung answered shortly, running a hand through his black hair. “Congratulations, I heard that you became one of the iest women in Korea. I guess your popularity had never changed despite being in Japan for the past few years."

HyunA almost laughed at Jun Hyung’s comment, but she restrained herself.

"Thank you," HyunA murmured. She glided forward, her every action being one of grace and poise, and took a seat, her arms resting primly on her knees. "I hope you are enjoying your marriage life with Hara sunbea nim."

Jun Hyung chuckled and repressed a wince when he heard how hollow it was. "It is unfortunate that your hopes were dashed," he replied softly.

HyunA smiled understandingly.

"Would you like me to speak to her?" HyunA said in a sweetly mocking way.

Jun Hyung sighed but nodded his head.

"Anyway." Jun Hyung cleared his throat. "What made you come back to Korea?"

Before HyunA could reply, the rustles and whispers abruptly fell silent, all eyes fixed on the sight of Doo Joon entering the hall with generous, polished steps, his tall and imposing figure immediately recognisable.

HyunA half smiled as she turned sideways, casting a glance at the Jun Hyung.

"Because I knew that something interesting is going to happen soon."

***

Somewhere in Seoul, a man with a long braided hair stood in front of the building of YG Entertainment. A small wind brushed past his face as Tae Yang looked at the building in front of him in awe.

 Never in a million years could Tae Yang believed that he would return to this place after all the things he had done in the past. Tae Yang's mind was buzzing with thoughts. He had decided to come back to YG Entertainment since he figured that G Dragon was right. It was time to show Seungri and the rest of the people that he had changed.

Suddenly, his train of thoughts was broken as the main door of the building opened and Dae Sung appeared with a huge grin plastered on his face at the sight of Tae Yang standing in front of the building.

"Welcome back, Hyung!" Dae Sung greeted warmly as Dae Sung slowly made his way over to stand in front of him.

Tae Yang couldn't help but let a small smile come to his face.

“Yes, I’m back.”