Duty

Be My Bride?

"Kris, wake up!"

 

"No way"

 

"Yes way!"

 

KICK! SLAM!

 

"What the- what was that for, Lu Han?!" Kris straightened his back from falling off the bed.

           

"Oh, so your highness is awake!" Lu Han snickered.

 

"Women are so wicked" Kris mumbled.

 

"Did you say something?" Lu Han leaned towards Kris. Their faces only a few inches apart and Kris already felt the chills run down to his spine. He quickly averted Lu Han's gaze and stood up. Lu Han just stared at the tall figure above him.

           

"I didn’t. Why do you have to wake me up?" he looked at the clock on his headboard and made a shocking face "Man, it's only 6 a.m.!"

 

"Her Royal Highness wants you to prepare now that's why I had to wake you up" Lu Han explained

 

"Who?" Kris wondered.

 

"It’s your mother, Yi Fan" Lu Han glared at the half asleep figure in front of him.

 

Kris smiled sheepishly "Oh, right, sorry?"

 

Lu Han face-palmed after a deep sigh.

 

“Chill man, I’m just kidding” Kris chuckled

 

“The crown prince shouldn’t speak like that” Lu Han made a straight face.

 

“Not when I’m in public, my lord” He snickered again and this caused Lu Han to pout. Aw, he’s really cute when he pouts.

 

           Kris is the crown prince of the Wu Empire and the emperor next in line. Before he becomes an emperor, he must fulfil his duties and responsibilities handed to him. Krystal, the empress, is his mother and the wife of the current emperor. The one who will aid him to his duties is Lu Han, his advisor and the current Field Marshal. Though they look like they quarrel a lot, they’re the best of friends.

           

            Kris is only seventeen years old yet he’s already achieved lots of recognitions from his people and his admirers. Despite his good looks and unnerving charm— although the tradition is not involved per se, he hasn’t dated anyone yet. Over the years, royal offspring developed freedom to choose their own partners yet he doesn’t even think of women and is already quite satisfied by the presence of his best friend around him. Aside from being cousins, they’ve been together since childhood since his aunt Luna, mother of Lu Han, let him stay in China for unknown reasons.

 

             Lu Han is originally from Japan unbeknownst to Kris and everybody from the household except for the empress, the emperor, and the empress’ sister, Lu Han’s mother. Meaning, besides him having royal blood within him, he has spent most of his life in China than his homeland.

 

“Just take a shower, I’ll wait here” Lu Han changed the topic.

 

“Really? You don’t want to enter the shower with me?” Kris teased.

 

“Dream on”

 

“Fine” Kris sighed. He still feels like teasing Lu Han a bit more but he still needs to get ready. His mother can sometimes be awfully scary when it comes to tardiness. He took a shower for 7 minutes and got out of the bathroom wearing nothing but only a towel on his waist. He saw Lu Han still waiting with an eager look on his face and Kris just shrugged it. He opened his closet and faced Lu Han who was still staring back at him. Kris chuckled before putting up a straight face again.

 

Lu Han knew that Kris caught him staring. He immediately averted his gaze and looked down at the floor. He was just staring. Just looking, alright?

 

He gave up.

 

He admits that Kris is perfect. Too perfect. That’s why girls are head over heels with him. He’s the total opposite of Kris when it comes to appearance. He’s shorter than him and has a girly face. Kris would even of being such a girl but what can he do? He totally gave up on hoping he’ll be manlier than his cousin. He peeked up at Kris again and caught him smirking.

 

“What?” Lu Han asked with a sarcastic tone

 

“Nothing, I’m just wondering what should I wear?”

 

“Just put on normal clothes. It’s not that big, auntie just wants to have a meeting with us”

 

“Oh, okay.”

 

10 minutes later, the two of them walked out of Kris’ room and went ahead to the meeting room. There, they saw the emperor and the empress seated beside each other on the carpeted floor with a table at the centre in which a tea set is placed. They both bowed to the royal couple and placed themselves across them.

 

“Come, children” the emperor greeted

 

“Yes, your highness” they both answered bowing their heads

 

“Now, now, we should get straight to the point” Krystal intervened

 

The three gentlemen looked towards her and the emperor nodded in agreement. Kris and Lu Han faced each other then back towards the empress and nodded.

 

“I’ll explain” Krystal added then she turned her face toward her son

 

“My son, I know you have never thought of these kinds of things and this never bothered you.  You are now at the right age of choosing a spouse but you never bothered with it,” She then looked at her husband then continued “as your parents, we have already chosen a bride for you. You have been betrothed to this person even before your birth.”

 

Lu Han and Kris were shocked for a minute before getting back to their consciousness.

 

What?!” they chorused.

 

The couple knew these children from birth and they knew how much they are alike with each other.

 

“I-I’m getting… married?” Kris asked with exasperated voice and Lu Han just stared at him with sorrowful eyes before looking down on the floor, denying the cold sweat he felt.

 

Krystal saw the devastated look on their faces and sight. She smiled at them and said, “You’ll meet your bride soon, Kris. And Lu Han, your mother is coming home”

 

Lu Han turned his head upward again and smiled at his aunt. Still, he’s quite sad about the news as much as Kris. He knew Kris better than anyone and he knows how much this struck him. Honestly, he doesn’t like the idea of Kris marrying some unknown woman out there but he has a duty. He’s sad, maybe because they won’t have time with each other from now on and Kris would be having a family in the future. He thinks Kris would leave him. He’ll be left alone or maybe go back to Japan. He doesn’t want that. He doesn’t want to be apart to Kris. He wants to stay by his side even if it’s impossible.

 

Kris was the same. He felt what Lu Han felt. He doesn’t want to reduce their time together and be apart with him too. He can’t stand being away with his most important person. He wants Lu Han to stay with him.

 

His biggest regret was to be born as a prince.

 

He doesn’t have freedom and the only person he met was Lu Han. No friends and never been to school. It’s always training and the academics handled by a home tutor. He’s more than happy Lu Han’s always by his side but now,

 

Will he lose him?

 

After the meeting, the two men quickly went to their own rooms without even talking to each other. Too much tension covered the air and they just let it be.

 

When the two boys left the meeting hall, Krystal went to check if they’re far gone already and suddenly bursts into laughter. Her husband just stared at her rolling like a buffalo on the floor then said,

 

“You’re harsh”

 

Krystal just giggled and replied.

 

“Wait till you see the exciting part…”

 

 

 

 

1st chapter editing done.