Your Footsteps: 09

노의 발소리가 그리워: I Miss The Sound of your Footsteps (Can I Love Again?)

It was all too sudden yet it felt right.

There were a thousand sprinkles of color that passed through Sungmin's eyes the moment Kyuhyun kissed him. With the music his heart beat is making and the heat coming from the molding of Kyuhyun’s lips to him everything felt exactly in place.

The insecurities, the doubts, the conflicts racing on his mind run dry. It doesn’t matter anymore. The way Kyuhyun’s hand s around his waist pulling him closer, the way the doctor nibbled his lower lips begging for entrance, the magic and sweetness their molded mouths tasted, it was so addicting that Sungmin felt for the first time in his life, the sinful thought of being possessive. He needed Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun’s mind goes blank as if Sungmin’s kiss served as a shut down button. With all honesty, Lee Sungmin is very different from his previous love. The way the former battled his tongue for dominance, the innocent yet passionate touches, everything is new. Yet the feeling pouring out from him was deeper, his mind who thought that Park Sungmin was everything dissolves leaving him in an internal chaos, but for now, let time took its toll. Let him claim Lee Sungmin.

“Kyuhyun…” Sungmin’s sigh indicated the heightening of pressure that sends the blood from Cho Kyuhyun to different regions of his body. Those hands that cupped his cheeks were too warm and he liked it leaning against Sungmin’s hands.

They parted and Kyuhyun stared at Sungmin’s deep orbs, his lust filled eyes snapped as tears fell down from the latter’s eyes.

“What’s wrong?” Kyuhyun cooed towards the man feeling guilt spread across his body. Sungmin might be thinking that he will only use him to forget. God knows how he wanted to tell the other that he won’t ever do that to him but realization hit him. He too, still didn’t know what he feels; would he not use Sungmin to forget?

“Kyu, first things first…” Sungmin hiccupped a smile towards him as he moved away from Kyuhyun to the latter’s disappointment. Sungmin turned towards the closed window before he looked at Kyuhyun again.

“You have to let go…”

Sungmin whispered as he opened the window letting in the chill of winter air.

*

Siwon creased his forehead looking over the thick records of one of his favorite patient. Tapping his pen on the old diagnosis more than 20 years ago, he’s still not a doctor at that time, he was just a few years old and he barely remembered this case ever since his father took it.

This was the case that urges him to be a doctor.

It wasn’t exactly a rare complication but only a few cases have survived it. It’s a condition where the heart has 4 abnormalities. There’s a hole in between the two ventricle, one of the artery take blood from the deoxygenated part, the right ventricle had hypertrophy and one of the valve have hardened. A child can have this defect and live up to 20, but they can never do any normal things children can do since they easily faint and they turned blue.

This patient has been through a lot. Siwon witnessed how he’d undergo different kinds of treatment but the only thing that could treat him is beyond reach and as day passed he saw how the hope drained from the patient’s once beautiful eyes.

He took over the case after a long years of waiting, the said patient eventually recovered with an unwelcome help from a friend, he can never forget, he was just an intern when this patient crumbled down, trashing through all the doctors saying he won’t receive the replacement he needed, but the donor has stopped breathing already, and they only needed 24 hours for the organ to eligibly be transferred.

He knew the man who just stared into shock when the news came down that his lover is already dead upon arrival, they were classmates. The love one of that donor cried so much that day and this patient blamed him for everything.

“I hate him! He killed Sungmin! I hate him!”

“Dr. Choi, do not do this replacement! I don’t want it! Let him live, take away my life I don’t need it just let Sungmin live!”

“Siwon, please I beg you, bring my bestfriend back…”

Remembering those words Siwon flinched. This was really a cruel trick.

The person his patient hated and that patient met once again, and this time it seems like life will toy their feelings.

Looking once again to the record Siwon sadly smile.

“What will you do, Cho?”

*

Sungmin played on Kyuhyun’s brown locks as the doctor lay on his lap. They pulled a couch towards the huge window and Sungmin insisted that he and Kyuhyun should stay bathed under its opened light and the latter agreed.

“Kyu… let’s move on okay?” Sungmin whispered almost inaudibly but Kyuhyun caught it.

“Hmm… if you’re there then it’ll probably be okay…” kyuhyun responded taking Sungmin’s hands and intertwining it with his. Drawing circles to the back of Sungmin’s palm.

“Then how do we start?” Sungmin giggled looking down on Kyuhyun’s eyes. The doctor sat up pulling Sungmin to sit on his lap and to held him closer.

“Hmm, where will we start…” Kyuhyun feigned an expression of thinking hard then he smiled and leaned in to kiss Sungmin’s forehead.

“Let’s start with a kiss on the morning….” Kyuhyun whispered before leaning in to kiss Sungmin’s nose. “Then a kiss on lunch time…” Sungmin savour the feeling of Kyuhyun’s lips once again against his cheeks. “Then on the afternoon…” Kyuhyun smirked as he observed Sungmin enjoyed the kisses he was giving. He leaned in to the other cheek for another kiss. “Then, before you go to work...”

Sungmin closed his eyes as the doctors addicting lips crashed softly above his, without further ado; he parted his mouth to allow Kyuhyun inside his cavern. He felt the latter’s tongue searched every part of his mouth and he loved the feeling, the feeling of someone caressing his back with utmost care while their lips mold perfectly into one. A lone moan escaped his lips and Kyuhyun parted from him a little with their chest against each other, Sungmin’s hand on the other’s neck holding him in place.

“Then a kiss before we go to sleep…” Kyuhyun murmured through the heat surging to the lttle space in between them.

“It’s as if you’re asking me to be with you the whole day…” Sungmin smiled and Kyuhyun looked at him seriously. “That’s exactly what I’m implying… would you stay with me, if possible every day, every hour, every second…” Kyuhyun confessed.

“I don’t want any moment without you Sungmin…” Kyuhyun mouthed the words carefully, making Sungmin gaped in an impossibly lighter feeling, his heart pounded on his chest that it hurts but feeling Kyuhyun’s own heart synchronized with him he felt at ease.

Kyuhyun’s face flustered. “God! I’m not good at this…” Kyuhyun growled palming his face. Sungmin looked at him thoughtfully removing the blocking hands from Kyuhyun’s face.

“No… you’re exactly the best.” Sungmin’s voice cracked and Kyuhyun knew the smaller man is almost crying. “You really make me happy…”

Kyuhyun smiled placing a peck on Sungmin’s lips before going back to his previous position, laying on the other’s lap.

**

“Kyuhyun. Explain to me.”

Ryeowook barge in to Kyuhyun’s clinic, fuming in confusion and a non-evident anger. Kyuhyun spent almost all day with Sungmin yesterday that he totally forgot Ryeowook, he noticed the missed calls his bestfriend left him but he chose to ignore, not that he didn’t want to explain, it’s just that he didn’t know where to begin.

“He’s the one I told you about, the one who saved me who look like Sungmin…” Kyuhyun started sighing but Ryeowooks frown didn’t disappear.

“And what are you doing with him?” the smaller doctor asked in a very stern voice. “Why did he look like Sungmin? Did he have a plastic surgery or-“

“Wook, it’s not like that… he totally had no idea who Sungmin is, it’s just a very strange coincident.” Kyuhyun explained lowering his voice so that Ryeowook will calm down.

“But he looked exactly like Sungmin! It’s like he’s his twin! Are you sure your ex-boyfriend didn’t have a twin brother?”

Kyuhyun sighed. Looks like explaining will take a lot more than just saying. “I’m sure, Sungmin doesn’t have a twin, he’s an only child…”

Ryeowook sighed then sat down on the chair across Kyuhyun, finally calming down from his retort looking at Kyuhyun worriedly.

“Who’s he then? Are you two that close already? You’re hanging out with him?” Kyuhyun’s bestfriend asked.

Kyuhyun felt a lump stuck on his throat as he looked towards the window, comprehending what he will say to the other without hurting him

“His name is Sungmin too, Lee Sungmin…” by that Ryeowook’s eyes widened.

“Wha-“

“And we’re kinda together.” Kyuhyun finished the sentence earnestly looking at the other and he saw how the pain shot through Ryeowook’s eyes.

“I-I-…” Ryeowook stammered but it seems like the pain Kyuhyun guiltily inflicted was too much to bear. Ryeowook stood up, not saying another word and left.

Why does love comes with inflicting pain to others

**

Sungmin fidgeted at the waiting room of the doctor assigned to him. Even though he never have felt any better than he was before, his doctor, or the son of his original doctor insisted that he go to frequent check-ups just in case. After all rejection reaction comes unexpected.

Siwon came out of his clinic and peeked to Sungmin’s direction gesturing the smaller man to come in.

“So what’s up… is there a reaction?” Sungmin started getting the work done as fast as possible. Kyuhyun still didn’t know anything about Sungmin’s past condition the fact that his doctor is at the same hospital as his boyfriend made him anxious.

Boyfriend

That thought played across Sungmin’s mind and he felt the familiar churning of his stomach. He was extremely happy, maybe happier than he ever had been in his entire life (almost at the level of happiness he felt when Park Sungmin played a trick on him just to surprise him in his birthday.) but there are still things that’s bothering him. Things he wanted to reveal.

Secrets only kept two people apart.

“Min… are you listening?”

Sungmin snapped at his doctor’s stern voice waking him up from his trance. “Y-Yeah.. what is it?”

Siwon sighed shaking his head in annoyance. “There’s not much of a reaction, same old same old.” The doctor started but it seems like he wasn’t done talking.

“You and Cho? Are you together?”

Sungmin looked up at his physician a blush forming on his pale cheeks as he tried to avert his gaze from the man.

“Thought so…” the doctor scoffed. “Have you told him about your relation with his past lover?”

Sungmin flinched. It’s true that he needed to tell Kyuhyun the truth as soon as possible, but he just cant get the right timing especially now that they both have just started to move on.

“Not yet, I see…” Siwon said snapping Sungmin’s patience.

“It’s not like I don’t want to tell him, I just don’t find the right timing that’s all…”

“There’s no right timing than now. If you want your relationship to work out then it’s time you tell him the truth, what happened after that, what he will think of you and what he will do all depends on his feelings. You really have no say about that…” the other man looked Sungmin in the eyes, saying the words sincerely to the other.

“And Min…” Siwon started again making the smaller man looked up at him sadly.

“Huh?”

“Please, take care of yourself, there might be no reactions from now but you knew better, If you start feeling something just go straight here… don’t endure it.”

Sungmin nodded giving his doctor a small smile before he took his results and walked out.

Walking down the hall he kept thinking Choi Siwon’s words that were utterly true. He needed to tell Kyuhyun as soon as possible, he should’ve told the guy earlier but he just can’t bring himself too. Now that he love the man more than anything.

**

“Min are you gay?”

Sungmin looked up at his bestfriend’s question quite abruptly. “What are you asking me that for?”

“Nothing just curious…” Park Sungmin grinned half way through eating the cake he brought, it seems like he wanted to spend his birthday with Kyuhyun but the said man is busy nowadays so he celebrated with his unwilling bestfriend and tried to force feed him with sweets.

“I don’t know my preferences since I’ve never been in love before… with my condition, falling in love is the least of my worries.” Lee Sungmin said taking a bite at the cake himself and Park Sungmin’s pleading eyes looked at him.

“What now?” Lee Sungmin asked flicking the other’s temple with the tip of his fingers.

“Hmm, nothing I’m just wondering, If I ever die before you I’ll definitely donate my heart to you…” Park Sungmin smiled and Lee Sungmin looked at him crossly.

“Why are you suddenly talking about death? I’ll definitely go first before you.” Lee Sungmin scoffed avoiding his bestfriend’s eyes.”And I won’t accept your heart, it’s full of twisted things I don’t want to get involve to…”

Park Sungmin pouted shoving another large piece of cake in his mouth.

“If I die first…” Park Sungmin resumed blabbering after he forcedly swallows the cake. “and you did get my donated heart… do you think you can take care of Kyuhyun for me?”

Lee Sungmin looked up showing his large piece of cake to Park Sungmin’s mouth . “You stop talking about things like that! I definitely won’t allow you to die first.” Lee Sungmin flashed one of his rarest sincere smiles.

It was 3 days after that day that Park Sungmin died.

**

Sungmin felt dizzy. An unknown bluntness struck from the back of his head and then to his chest clutching his clothes near the aching part wincing in pain as he held the hospital wall for support. He had never felt this pain before or maybe he had but he just forgot.

“Ah!” he cried slowly dragging himself towards the wall for support.

“Sungmin?”

A familiar voice called him from behind and he need not look up to see who’s calling him. He knew that low, caressing voice anywhere. The pain on his chest dissipated slowly as if the owner of that beautiful concerned words kissed the pain away.

“Kyuhyun…”

 

To be continued

 

 

-A/N So I updated (at last...) I intentionally made it long enough for compensation so I hope it isn't so bad? Tell me what do you think okay?

-The cliche new twist came out so... are you still loving this? or you'll hate me for adding something that would definitely crash our beloved OTP??

-To my new readers, thank you so much and I'm not a snob okay, I just had a difficult time nowadays :( and I hate to say this but, updates would be a little slow....

-Do you want me to reply to all of your comments? I could do that if you want me too :))