Your Footsteps: 11

노의 발소리가 그리워: I Miss The Sound of your Footsteps (Can I Love Again?)

Sungmin could not ask for a more understanding love, and with his confession of his previous condition and Kyuhyun, accepting him wholeheartedly, he felt confident. If he would tell Kyuhyun about Park Sungmin, Kyuhyun would understand, he would still love him as him.

“Kyuhyun…” he smiled widely to the other man across him looking at him like he’s the most precious thing in the world.

“Yes? What is it?” Kyuhyun murmured taking Sungmin’s face and placing a soft kiss on his m-shaped lips.

“There’s still something you-“

RRRIIIINNNGGG!

Sungmin snapped at the loud noise that broke their conversation and he don’t know why his heart started to hammer against his chest violently, there’s something on that call that made him feel this way. A feeling of a storm is coming..

“I should answer that…” Kyuhyun chuckled as he stood up from the couch and unconsciously Sungmin caught his hand.

Kyuhyun looked at him questioningly. “Min?”

“D-don’t answer that call…” Sungmin said who he, himself do not k now the reason why.

On the other hand, his boyfriend smiled at him placing a light kiss on his forehead. “I think it isn’t a bad news. I’ll just be gone for a minute or so… don’t miss me.”

With that Kyuhyun sprint towards the phone ignoring Sungmin’s pleas.

Sungmin clutched his chest, his heart never calmed down, what’s wrong with just a phone call, why is his heart reacting that way?

**

“Hello?”

Kyuhyun answered not really paying attention, he’s just too engrossed with Sungmin, that he was so happy, finally after years of grieving, he became happy.

“Kyuhyun… are you still there?”

Kyuhyun snapped out almost laughing at himself for day dreaming. “Ryeowook-ah, what is it? You’re not angry at me anymore?”

Remembering his and Ryeowook’s argument earlier dawn to him again, and he hope that his bestfriend would understand, and if it’s Ryeowook, I knew that he will.

“You sounded cheesy, it’s grossing me out...” Ryeowook responded and Kyuhyun can’t help but snigger at  the failed snarkiness of the doctor on the line.

“I knew it, you forgive me already… is that why you call me?”

There was a pregnant pause from the person on the other line, and the sudden change in atmosphere of the person he’s talking with.

“Ryeowook-ah… what’s wrong?”

“Kyuhyun…I just receive a call, from your hospital… they’re back..”

Kyuhyun glanced at Sungmin and the latter seemed to be looking at a distant, at a loss.

“What do you mean?” he muttered hoping to God that it’s not what he think it is.

But it proved him wrong, because the next words that came out from Ryeowook over the phone is exactly what he dreaded, what he almost forgot.

“Kyuhyun... Park Sungmin’s parents are back…”

**

“Sungmin?”

The said man looked up to Kangin in shock. “What is it Hyung?”

The older man just sighed and shook his head. “You’re spacing out again, what’s the matter this time?”

Yeah? What’s the matter?

After that phone call Kyuhyun just came up to him, smiling sadly and a little lost himself, something was definitely not right but he covered it with his sweet gesture and a kiss on his lips, and when he asked about it, his lover just shrugged it off and pulled him to an embrace.

His confidence on telling Kyuhyun the whole truth faded in an instant; he really had a bad feeling about everything that happened. The other man just blankly stares sometimes and is currently not himself, his brows would sometimes furrow and he seemed too tired. Sungmin’s very worried. What is the content of that phone call?

And he himself had not been feeling well too, he sometimes feel really dizzy and his body just don’t respond healthily. He felt rather colder than usual and there’s this nagging feeling on his chest. He would like to consult about this but he feared that he’ll see Kyuhyun at the hospital and he would have to explain all over again.

He heaved a deep sigh. “Kangin-hyung, I don’t feel well nowadays…”

The called man sat across him. “Yeah, you don’t really look well too, I know you’re quite pale but now you’re as white as sheet, you want me to go with you to the hospital?”

The younger man shook his head. “Nope, I’ll go tomorrow, It’s not like I’ll faint by just being pale…” he laughed inwardly but it wasn’t funny at all. It’s too cold nowadays, and he can’t afford to faint on a street without someone.

He felt something vibrated on his side pocket, excusing himself to the bar tender, he fished out his cell phone looking at the name of the caller on the screen.

Realizing that it was Kyuhyun, his lips unconsciously curved into a smile and he placed the phone against his ear. “Kyu-“

“Hi Min… how are you? Sorry I’ve been busy lately…”

Sungmin shook his head, giggling at his stupidity he chuckled a reply. “It’s fine, you’re a doctor afterall, what’s wrong, why did you call?”

Kyuhyun heaved a deep sigh. “I miss you…”

Sungmin’s heart thumped once again, so hard that it almost hurt yet it felt so good to hear. “I miss you too…” he murmured smiling from ear to ear. “You’re so cheesy. What’s up? Are you bored?”

“Nope, just wanted to hear your voice. I miss your cooking, I’ll come by to your apartment tonight okay…”

“Yah! You can’t just request something like that. I’ll will still buy something to cook.” Sungmin pouted but again, he can’t hide his excitement.

“I can see you pouting from here, I want to kiss that pout away…” Kyuhyun said with his low husky voice and Sungmin felt another spark came down his spine. “I’ll pick you up at the bus stop at 7 outside the grocery… is it the one near your work place?”

“Stop being so cheesy.” Sungmin spat at Kyuhyun palming his face to hide his blush. “…And yes that’s the one, are you sure it’s okay to pick me up, I could ride the bus you know…”

“Nope, I want to fetch you, I can’t let you bring those heavy groceries…See you later?”

“Okay, see you later okay, be careful on your way.”

Sungmin hanged up smiling lovingly to his cellphone. “Kangin-hyung I think I’ll pass for tonight.”

**

Kyuhyun emerged from his conversation with Sungmin grinning happily as he placed his phone, tapping it gently against his lips. It was true, he had been distracted nowadays and he knew for sure Sungmin’s taking his attitude without any complaints. And he kind of felt sorry, this was the same mistake he did years ago, and he will not do it again. Never.

He knew that the return of his past boyfriend’s family shook him out of his trance making him remember those eyes that seemed to be filled with unspoken accusations and those lips that held their tongues from blaming Kyuhyun for losing their only son, but it was chaotic back then, and Park Sungmin’s father is still the person he owe his successful life to.

He misses Sungmin so bad in the past few days and he wanted to be on the other’s embrace he was afraid but he can’t tell his lover the real reason or else, he will worry.

Knowing that his current love had undergone a literal change of heart is shocking for him but he knew for sure that it really didn’t matter he love Sungmin now. He love him truthfully and honestly his past doesn’t matter. This ‘Sungmin’ in front of him is everything.

“Kyuhyun…”

He heard a chime like voice from his consciousness and he stopped almost immediately.

That voice, he hadn’t heard from it since he and Lee Sungmin got together, and he wasn’t really sure if he wanted to hear that voice who brings back memory of self-pity and self-blaming.

“Kyuhyun, what should we do?”

The voice echoed again and he clutched his hand for support to his table. It knocked him off his feet. This voice…

“I’m really sorry Kyuhyun…”

Kyuhyun clutched his now shaking form as he unconsciously stared at the mirror.

And the apparition was there, the soft blonde hair, the now cold doe-like eyes and the pale skin, wearing the sweater he had given, the same thing he’s wearing before he died.

“Sungmin? Why are you here…”

The image pouted, his lips shaking as he begun to sobbed. “I’m sorry…” the figure said again and the door of his clinic opened slowly as his secretary nurse peeked in.

“Dr. Cho… the director is here to see you.”

**

Kyuhyun’s face stoned into an unemotional state, the state he had been after Park Sungmin died. A face who never showed any feelings, his features hardened like a carved statue, nurses kept murmuring, greeting him yet it seems like he can’t hear them. He was lost. So lost.

The engulfing guilt took him in mercilessly. Just like it did when his Sungmin died

Whose fault it is that Sungmin died?

You’re the last one with him, how could you not know that Sungmin’s not in the state to travel alone?

Your stupid pride killed him.

All of these accusations that he blamed to himself did the unhealed cracks in his sanity, their friends, his boyfriend’s family, everyone lied to him. Telling him sweet words like it’s not his fault, and it’s an accident. Those fake voices that looked at him with pity were all bluffs, he saw through it. Underneath all those comforting words were eyes that blamed him for everything.

 But the echoed voice, a real earthly voice that shouted to him the truth opened his eyes. The only truthful voice admist the world of comforting lies, reverberating to the walls of the hospital the moment Park Sungmin is declared dead.

I hate him!

He killed Sungmin! I hate him.

Remembering himself being pulled out by that voice to reality, he recall himself looking up to see where that voice came from but all he saw was a blur of someone struggling with his cries and a man keeping him calm.

 Who was that person? He never had a chance to know, he tried to stand up and go to that person, thinking that he would like to hear his truthful voice once again, to kneel in front of that person and ask him, how should he repay for the sin he committed in leading his boyfriend to death.

“Kyuhyun…”

Park Sungmin’s chime-like voice whispered to Kyuhyun’s hallucinations all over again. It was returning. The nightmare is returning.

He turn the knob and entered the director’s office. Holding his breath and taking in the form of the man who unconsciously locked him up in a cage of despair.

“Ah, Kyuhyun… how are you…”

Mr. Park smiled at him, his furrowed brows straightened as he saw Kyuhyun who bowed to him politely. Kyuhyun forbid himself to look at the man’s eyes for he will see those clutches that tore him from reality.

“Sir, I’m fine, how have you been?” Kyuhyun said, his voice dull and a little bit dry.

“Fine, fine… I’m getting old…” the old man cackled a laugh before he gestured the younger man to the seat in front of his. “Please…”

Kyuhyun obeyed and sat down to the chair holding on to his both hands so that it won’t shake noticeably. He looked up and tried to pull on a smile but he stop immediately. He cannot do it.

“As expected of you, you became famous in just a matter of years… everyone’s saying you’re the best… my son would’ve been so proud…”

Kyuhyun pursed his lips on the praise. “It’s all thanks to you sir…”

“Ah, yes, yes…” the old man smiled looking at the nearby window. “I just visited my son, the grave’s still well kept, there is fresh flower on it too, maybe just a week old…”

Kyuhyun furrowed his eyebrows. He hasn’t been on the grave since the anniversary almost 2 months ago.

“I see, you’ve been visiting quite often, I’m glad you still remember him.”

Kyuhyun’s mind goes blank. Of course, he was supposed to not forget. He was supposed to be bound by the chains of that person’s death. He shouldn’t be happy.

“Me and my wife’s having dinner tonight… she wanted you to join us, she misses you so much…”

Kyuhyun not entirely recovered by the shock of the supposed reality nodded in response. Repeating and repeating to himself the truth that he shouldn’t be happy, that he should have stay with Sungmin and dedicate his life to him until the day he himself passed.

“That’s good then… Let’s go meet up at our family restaurant, the one Sungmin liked so much at 7 pm…”

The old man’s voice trailed to Kyuhyun’s understanding.

“As much as I want to keep you… your secretary said you have plenty of patients waiting so… I don’t want to keep them from their physician… see you later Kyuhyun…”

Kyuhyun bowed politely as he stepped out of the room clutching his fist on the knob harshly, before a single tear fell from his eye

**

Excited as he was in preparing dinner, Sungmin emerged from the grocery store and cross the street to the bus stop, It was already 6:45, just in time for Kyuhyun to arrive, tapping his phone as he texted Kyuhyun that he’s finished with the groceries and that he’s already waiting. Smiling inwardly as the cold chill blew and he shook a little, imagining the warmth of Kyuhyun’s embrace where he will be in, in just a matter of minutes.

But it seems like he was greatly mistaken.

7 pm came, then the digital clock flicked to 7:30, then 8:00, then 8:30.

Sungmin’s lips trembled at the cold weather. The night is becoming merciless, as well as Kyuhyun. Sungmin’s hands are already freezing, he forgot to bring his gloves, it was becoming numb as he typed from the umpteenth time to his phone, texting Kyuhyun where is he, he even make a call from god knows how many times till his battery almost gave in.

9:30 came, still no Kyuhyun.

He’s cursing himself, he should’ve just rode the last bus, he should’ve just go home the moment the clock strike 7:30. He shouldn’t have let himself hope that Kyuhyun was just late.

His tears welled up and fell to his ice cold cheeks. How could Kyuhyun forget. What happened to him that is reasonable enough to not show up.

HE stood up, the groceries and the meat are already freezing, the vegetables seemed unfit to cook. Sungmin sighed and another tear fell. Why?

The digital clock strike 10 pm, and Sungmin finally decided to stand up, he’s not waiting for anyone anymore.

Like a pang on his chest. The shooting pain reverberated to his cold sternum. He was well aware of the frantic beating of his heart as the cold surrounding blurred and rotate in his field of vision. He felt a hot metallic smelling fluid run down from his nose and as he wipe it with his hand he saw a crimson red blood.

He cussed as another pain shot through him knocking his knees as he crumbled to a mess, he shifted towards his dropped cellphone and glad that the battery is still holding up he pressed a speed dial number and he hope to god that he didn’t made a mistake before everything turned dark and his head dropped on the cold cement.

**

Siwon just entered his car. It was late and his rounds just ended, practically tired as he straighten his limbs, he fiddled his keys when a sudden flash of light emitted to his cellphone.

He looked at it and saw Sungmin’s number flashing as the caller. He chuckled, though Sungmin’s a bit stubborn, he has always placed a special role into Siwon’s life.

Siwon fiddled through his phone but the call already cut off. He chuckled and dialed back the number.

The subscriber cannot be reach, please try your call later.

His thick brow furrowed, how can that be when the said person he’s calling just called him. He dialed back the number.

The subscriber cannot be reach, please try your call later.

The operator’s voice ring a warning through Siwon’s ear and he immediately recall the place where Sungmin will probably be. Taking the file of his patient from his brief case for the list of contacts he begun typing the numbers.

He called the other’s house number, there was no answer.

He called the other’s work place and the bartender said he left early, about 5 pm.

He called the last person he knew will be with Sungmin.

“Hello?”

Kyuhyun’s tired voice echoed to the other line, a soft bustle on the background can be heard and the other doctor’s voice were straining.

“Kyuhyun, this is Dr. Choi, is Sungmin with you?”

There were a soft bustle as if the other is not listening.

“Kyuhyun! Answer me is Sungmin with you.” With his heart hammering on his chest Siwon shouted to the person on the other line.

“No he’s- Oh !”

“What?! What’s wrong?!” Siwon asked shaking.

“We-We’re supposed to – ! How could I forget…”

“Forget what?! What are you talking about?!”

“We’re suppose to meet and I lost track of-“

“! Where will you suppose to meet him?” Siwon started his car and sped off the hospital’s parking lot not even caring to turn the heater on.

“At the grocer near his workplace… I’ll be there, I-“

“Don’t even bother you stupid moron!” Siwon shouted as he drop the call and sped off towards the direction of the club where Sungmin’s working. He tapped the recent logs and dial the bartender whom he called earlier to check if Sungmin’s still on the grocer, the bar tender said the grocer is close already but he will check if Sungmin’s still there.

After the call he tapped to dial an emergency ambulance from the hospital, telling them the address of the pick up before finally tossing his phone to the passenger’s seat. Siwon clutched the steering wheel as he impatiently wait for the traffic light to change, muttering to himself words that hoped for the well being of his patient.

Sungmin, please be safe…

To be Continued

 

 

A/N: Okay guys I'm sorry for the slow updates nowadays, I'm really busy for exams and everything. I hope I make it up with this chapter. Though, I bet not everyone like this fic, but since I liked this a lot I will finish this for the sake of those who patiently read and wait for the updates. Thank you so much

As you can see. The conflict is brewing and I'm announcing that this fic is only chapters away and nearing it's end. I hope you guys stay with this till the very end. Thank you for all your support