Your Footsteps: 08

노의 발소리가 그리워: I Miss The Sound of your Footsteps (Can I Love Again?)

 

*****

 

“Sungminnie~!”

I sighed. ‘Here comes whiny’ I said muttering to myself as I close the book I was currently reading. Welcoming the running Park Sungmin to my room and as expected his smiles were so bright that it seems to lighten up my room even though I closed all the windows. The winter air chills me in every way, I seemed to have formed a grudge against it.

“Won’t you get out from here? And why is your windows close again, seriously you’re just like Kyuhyun?!” he said stomping his foot like a little child towards the window.

“Why are you here Ming? I thought you have classes?... And stop opening the window it’s cold.” I asked sternly and my bestfriend just puffed out his creamy cheeks and continue what he was doing. He opened the window and the cold air came in. I noticed that it was unusually bright outside and after a while I realize, It was already snowing.

“ I want you to meet Kyuhyun please?” Park Sungmin turned to plead with his big doe eyes and a killer pout.

“Why would I want to meet your boyfriend?” I said not losing the sarcastic tone. “It’s not like I want to see him, and I’m not interested in him at all…”

“Oh please, you barely get out of here and Christmas is coming, you should at least prepare some gifts for me and for you to do that you need to step outside!”

As stubborn as Park Sungmin is and sometimes a bit insensitive, I just sighed and looked away. “I can’t celebrate anything. You know I don’t have family here to celebrate with and I can’t when I’m actually like this?!” I shouted unknowingly taking my best friend off guard.

There was a moment of pause and I felt Park Sungmin’s arms wrapped around me.”I’m Sorry Minnie~ I didn’t mean too…” he sobbed and I felt a little bit guilty, in reassurance that I’m not mad at him I tapped his head. “It’s okay, don’t worry…”

“you know, Kyuhyun’s becoming a doctor… and when he graduated I want him to specialize on what your sickness is, so that we could help you…” my best friend confessed and my heart sank. “I might be gone by then…”

“No, you’re not.” he muttered. “Kyuhyun promised, he’ll never break it.”

I sighed. It’s really impossible, I’m reaching my limit already and I lost all hope in recovery but somehow what Park Sungmin confessed to me gave a tiny bit of hope, and gratitude for that Kyuhyun.

“He really loves you if he’d agreed to help me.” I muttered and Sungmin giggled behind me.

“Yes, I think so too… I love him very much.” he replied.

I feel a lump stuck on my throat, and I felt a little bit jealous. If only I could be like Park Sungmin, would someone love me just like Kyuhyun love him?

****************

Sungmin never thought that the events would turn this way. It's almost a month since he first met Cho Kyuhyun, trying to kill himself, at first he thought that everything between him and that man was nothing more than just a simple connection, he; being someone who looked like Kyuhyun's dead boyfriend only to found out that he and that guy met already, and they were pretty close, as close as a sibling could be. 

 

"Sungmin, are you dating that guy?" Kangin asked Sungmin while the latter was fixing his guitar. Sungmin looked up at the older man surprised, indeed his relationship with Cho Kyuhyun now is somewhat rambled. He himself, doesn't even know what they are.

 

"What makes you say that Hyung?" Sungmin asked smiling half-heartedly and was obviously nervous about Kangin's question, the older man just scoffed and gave him a one sided smile looking up from the wine glass he was currently wiping. "He gets you here and picks you up, now tell me what should I think about you two?" 

 

Sungmin fidgetted and a tinge of pink crept to his pale face, trying his best to hide it from Kangin who never looked away from him, he returned to fixing his guitar. There was no further explanation, he was cornered, but what can he reply? Kyuhyun and him were really not in that stage and he was afraid.

 

Afraid that Kyuhyun won't look at him, but look at Park Sungmin instead.

 

"We~" Sungmin started, quite hesitant to tell Kangin about what's the real deal about them. "It's complicated Hyung, I'll tell it to you... when the right time comes..."

 

Kangin looked at him intently then sighed, placing the cleaned glass towards the counter. "Suit yourself, but remember... don't hurt yourself okay?" at that words Sungmin's eyes widen, seeing this, Kangin smiled warmly in return, making known to the younger man that the feelings he tried to shoved down his throat are actually evident on his face. In return, Sungmin smiled apologetically, picked up his guitar and whispered a soft "thank you" before heading out the door. 

 

It was freezing already outside, he was approximately waiting for 10 minutes, flipping his phone impatiently, He's sure that if that guy's even later than 5 minutes, he'll go home by himself, pouting at the thought, as if on cue, a familiar car stopped in front of him.

 

"Sorry.. I'm late!"

Cho Kyuhyun emerged from the driver's seat huffing and a bit flustered, walking, or rather, almost running towards Sungmin. It was obvious that he'd been rushing to get to Sungmin as soon as possible that Sungmin felt a bit guilty. 

 

"You shouldn't rush like that, look at you~" Sungmin hummed, removing his thick gloves, wiping Kyuhyun's matted forehead. Surprised by the small act of affection, Kyuhyun walked closer, leaning in to Sungmin's hands. "I'm fine, no need to worry..." he muttered, his lips almost brushing against the other man's soft palm. Sungmin felt chills and sparks all over his body, the cold he was previously feeling was nothing compared to the warmth he's feeling now. "Yah, your hands will get cold you know..." Kyuhyun scold the other while he took the glove from Sungmin's other hand and placing it to the bare one, entangling Kyuhyun's own fingers on Sungmin's. "Do you want to go home already?" Kyuhyun whispered, still holding on to Sungmin's hand. "Yeah, I think so, but I'm tired of my house, let me go to yours?" Sungmin smiled warmly that Kyuhyun had a hard time controlling himself from hugging the man in front of him. "But my room's not that great you've been there." Kyuhyun said with a scoff but Sungmin laughed at him anyways. "If you let me, I'll let you sleep on my lap..." Kyuhyun almost groaned at Sungmin's condition, nowadays, he wanted to be as close as possible to Sungmin, not leaving any room for them to be apart or go astray. it's as if having Sungmin around him was enough to make him sane.

 

"Kyuhyun?" 

 

The called man snapped on his track of thoughts and feeling he snapped up towards the direction of the voice and saw his bestfriend standing in shock to see him with Lee Sungmin who didn't seem to recognize Ryeowook.

 

"Park?" Ryeowook eyed Sungmin like he was a  ghost, to prevent further damage Kyuhyun speak up almost immediately. "No, Wookie, this is Lee Sungmin."

 

Ryeowook looked at Kyuhyun questioningly then back at Sungmin. "How- How did this happen? Why is he-"

"We'll go now!" Kyuhyun said pulling the surprised Sungmin inside the car.

 

"B-But! Kyuhyun!" Ryeowook gasped unable to form words to say. His brains racking him unable to comprehed. Park Sungmin is dead, Kyuhyun and him were both there at the funeral, they both saw Park Sungmin as the casket lowered to the ground. Who's Lee Sungmin?

 

*

 

"Kyuhyun?"

 

Sungmin tugged on to Kyuhyun who's driving faster than usual, trying to calm the man down with his voice, if that's even possible. Kyuhyun glanced at him, sighed then smile. "I'm sorry about that Sungmin." he said  his eyes getting back on the road. Sungmin looked at Kyuhyun the nagging feeling he has about the way Kyuhyun called him came back, but as usual he shrugged it off. He didn't want anything that'll probably cause some argument. Before he knew it, Kyuhyun became somewhat important to him, it feels like he's fulfilling his bestfriend, the other Sungmin's last will.

 

Sungmin looked reproachful at Kyuhyun who's obviously struggling and was bothered about the friend they met earlier. Ryeowook. And it seems like Ryeowookknew Park Sungmin too. Sungmin creased his brows to try to remember if his best friend mentioned Ryeowook before.

 

Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin who's brows are knitted into one, and in deep thought.He pulled over to the parking space provided by his apartment and he reached out to the man beside him touching Sungmin's tensed hands. "What's wrong? Are you thinking something?"

 

Sungmin looked up at him, noticing that they've already stopped. "Oh- Nothing's wrong Kyuhyun." He muttered a smile spreading across his beautiful lips. "It's cold, let's go inside?"

 

*

 

Sungmin entered the apartment and unlike before where he stormed, shouted and lose his temper to the concerned Kyuhyun, this time he had a chance to carefully looked at the place. It wasn't messy, in fact it's clean it's bigger than he expected and was full of books and medical stuffs. There's also a game console at the side just below the flat screen TV it was perfectly normal except of the least bit gloominess it emitted. 

 

Sungmin's eyes landed at the huge window that's kept curtained and close. It would be beautiful if it was opened since the scenery outside are the lined trees of the park where they first met, the changing of seasons will be quite visible with that. Sungmin spared Kyuhyun a glance.

 

"Why is this window close? It'll be much more beautiful in here if you kept it open?" Sungmin smiled, he might've guessed the reason once he saw Kyuhyun's shocked expression. Park Sungmin must have wanted the same thing he asked.

 

Sungmin turned around reaching out to the seals of the window when a loud thud of footsteps came over him and before he knew it Cho Kyuhyun's left arm wrapped around his waist and the other arm reached stopping his hand.

 

"Sungmin, I'll ask you something..." Kyuhyun breathed heavily against Sungmin's shoulder. When the latter didn't respond Kyuhyun continued. "Is it okay for us to be like this?"

 

Sungmin's heart pounded against his chest, a warm feeling long forgotten is resurfacing and it made him feel lighter, happy though quite unsure. Kyuhyun's heart too seemed to be feeling the same thing since he can feel its loud beat against his back. Sungmin turned around to face the man behind him whose eyes were a deep brown, so enticing, inviting him in.

 

There's no helping it.

 

Sungmin's thoughts beat him to rationality. He knew that the man in front of him still hasn't let go, he knew that Kyuhyun might use him, he knew 99.99% sure he'll be the one hurting, risking his weak heart in the process. 

 

But the 0.01% in him believes and trusts Kyuhyun with everything he protected all his life.

 

A part of him is already drawn to Cho Kyuhyun, and he cannot escape... he doesn't want to.

 

With their eyes locked with each other, Kyuhyun muster all the courage not to take risky steps, but Sungmin gave him the reassurance he needed.

 

"It's okay..." Sungmin muttered as much as a whisper. "Shall we try it? Kyuhyun?"

 

Kyuhyun, not wanting the moment to pass leaned in and finally capture Sungmin's lips.

To Be Continued

 

 

-A/N: Hi! It's been a long time since I updated this, well here it is. Honestly I need suggstions? Is the progress too slow? Well I decide to make it faster from here on out especially when KyuMin's finally tried falling in love. 

-BTW in case you're confused the first part in italicized are sort of a past part of Sungmin, I'll be having those kind of parts from now on to reveal what really happened and the twists of events, I hope you won't get too dizzy LOL.

-Anyhow, Happy New Year Everyone~!