Your Footsteps: 02

노의 발소리가 그리워: I Miss The Sound of your Footsteps (Can I Love Again?)

It’s something no one can forgive. He can’t even forgive himself for letting his sick boyfriend in this cold. Sungmin is very anemic and he’s not much of a fighter, the bystanders said that it’s a crazy guy who stole money and everything he wanted to people who’re staying late in this park apparently, Sungmin was the only person on this park at that time of the night, they said Sungmin was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. How could he ever accept that. 

Everyone think it’s an accident, that the man wanted to rob Sungmin of his money, but Sungmin fought and that man pushed him hard, making him fall, his head hitting that rock. Flinching at the amount of blood he remembered on that same spot, his boyfriend wouldn't have survived, the trauma caused a concussion and contusion on Sungmin’s brain and it lead to a massive brain damage resulting to death.

 

Ever since then he came to this same spot every year, staying late wishing the same fate of his boyfriend will happen to him but the man never came again. It’s painfully ironic that the day of your anniversary is the same day your partner died.

 

“Kyu, it’s getting colder…” Sungmin’s voice echoed in the now deserted park. It’s getting darker, the sun is setting and the rush of the autumn air signaling for the coming of winter is deafening.  He should go back to his apartment sooner, but he wanted to stay longer.

 

With his back against the bench looking over park he began to think of things that are seemed clouded, his future and his present. Everything in his past is all that’s clear. He finished medicine since Sungmin’s father asked, no almost begged him to do it. He said Sungmin wanted him to be happy more than anything and he’s just fulfilling his son’s wish, but being successful won’t help him, the only thing he wanted is now gone.

 

A silent footstep came nearer. Kyuhyun looked up but the rustling of the leaves on a dimly lit park was covering the origin of the footsteps.”Kyuhyun… go home now please…” the voice echoed a ringing warning on Kyuhyun’s head but he shoves it away. The footsteps grew louder and emerging behind the trees near the man made pond a huge man appear, wearing ragged clothes.

 

Is this him? The one who killed my Sungmin? Kyuhyun asked himself raged enveloping him. He looked carefully and the man, swaying like he’s drunk while he walks noticed him then smiled an eerily smile. 

"I Know that sweater..." the man croaked looking at him in a derange manner.

This man is the same man who killed his Sungmin and get away with it. “Kyuhyun… please, don’t do this.” The voice said but Kyuhyun’s mind is fixed now. The man ran nearer and when he hit Kyuhyun it was like a boulder thrown at him he was hit straight to his jaw. He lay back to the bench and attempted to kick the man, Unsuccessful with his attempt he punched him on his eye. The man screamed in pain, Kyuhyun added another punch, it was successful but the third one missed and the huge man grabbed him and strangled him down to the bench again. He can feel a few cuts now and the searing pain on his jaws. So if he died here, Sungmin and him can be together right? He laid there not even fighting anymore he surrendered.

 

“Hey you! You want to die!” Someone shouted and the man who’s strangling him was whacked by a wood and suddenly slumped to the pathway. He tried to move but his body became numb. A guy stood before him and took him forcefully away. They stopped at the curb where it’s well illuminated by light. “You’re seriously dead there!” he shouted panting. Kyuhyun looked up, he didn't want to say thank you, he wanted to die.

 

“Sungmin?” Kyuhyun asked with disbelief written all over his face. His ‘Sungmin’ is in front of him.

 

 

to be continued