Your Footsteps: 06

노의 발소리가 그리워: I Miss The Sound of your Footsteps (Can I Love Again?)

 

Sungmin chuckled lowly. “We meet again…” he whispered looking away from the standing man in front of him who looked as surprise as he is.

“Yeah…” Kyuhyun looked away then started walking the opposite direction when Sungmin stopped him.

“What are you doing here? Cho Kyuhyun?” Surprise by Sungmin’s change of tone Kyuhyun turned around ending up looking straight into Sungmin’s quivering eyes. He was drawn in immediately, those brown orbs that captured him in a unusual way. Seeing Sungmin so close to where his Sungmin died feels weird at the same time…warm.

“I-I have to visit someone…” Kyuhyun whispered. “It’s late… what are you doing here?” the doctor asked back trying to make a simple conversation now that Lee Sungmin is not yelling at him.

Sungmin scoffed blowing cold air out of his breath.  He wanted to tell Kyuhyun the truth but he didn’t know how to start. The things that connect them are so fragile that it’s the first time he was afraid that those things make matters worse.

He felt bad, bad about being rude to Kyuhyun, bad about forgetting important things. It has been so long since Park Sungmin died, and maybe the accident that took away his bestfriend’s life took something other than his only friend, he can’t be too sure and he can’t risk the reality without remembering everything, piece by piece.

“I-I’m sorry.” Sungmin started earning a questioning look from Kyuhyun. “W-We got off from a wrong foot… and I apologize for being rude…”

Kyuhyun heard the words clearly and he was sure that Lee Sungmin was extremely apologetic since the latter’s cheeks got noticeably darker despite the dim lights of the park.  Lee Sungmin looked up to him then flashed a small, hesitant smile.

“Why this, all of a sudden?” Kyuhyun asked his undeniably loud heart thumping against his chest in a very inappropriate way, feeling all nervous by a small smile that came from Lee Sungmin.

“I’m Lee Sungmin…” Sungmin smiled holding out his hands towards Kyuhyun who looked at him in such bewilderment, seeing the sincerity in Lee Sungmin’s eyes he held out his hands to caught the other’s cold ones. His heart started hammering once again as he felt Sungmin’s touch against his, wanting more of the contact. He looked up to the other’s eyes and said. “I’m Cho Kyuhyun.”

It felt almost forever before Sungmin let go of Kyuhyun’s hands first. Kyuhyun unknowingly wanted more of the contact but decided not to jump start on things. Lee Sungmin smiled once more before picking up the black casket of guitar leaning on the bench.

“I-I have to go… it’s getting late…uhm, see you later then…” Sungmin smiled hesitantly before he turned his back from Cho Kyuhyun. The latter looked at Sungmin’s retreating back, recalling how the other man looked dejected the moment he saw Kyuhyun, swollen eyes, pinkish cheeks due to the cold weather, clutching his fist, staring blankly. The man was indeed beautiful and it marvels him every single time he saw Lee Sungmin, someone who looked an awful lot like his Sungmin but is, indeed different.

“Wait a minute-” Kyuhyun called out to Sungmin before he can even stop himself. The called man stopped before he turned around, looking more hurt than before. Cho Kyuhyun, afraid of prying deeper onto the fragile man’s worries held his tongue, bit back his words and did the right thing to do.

“I’ll take you home…”

***

 

 

 

Park Sungmin and I became really close. At first he would be so annoying that I almost punch at him if I have strength, but he’s too persistent, and before I knew it… I really loved him like my own little brother.

He would make my hospital days quite bearable, he was there when I receive treatments and he was there to annoy me and made me laugh. He was laughing even when he has troubles too because of his low blood count.

“Minnie!!” he shouted at me while I was reading a book and when I looked at him he was blushing frantically. “What happened to you did someone punch you? You look swollen…” I teased and he pouted at me ever so cutely.

“Guess what…”he started smiling even wider than before. “I met someone…”

“Is she beautiful?” I asked still not paying attention.

“Yuck no!” he screamed. “Rather…HE is beautiful, he has this amazing brown wavy hair, and his oh so y voice, his beautiful built… God he’s so gorgeous…” he described making all this big gesture. Still not looking up from the book I asked. “Is he a statue or something… he doesn’t sound real to me…”

He grabbed the book. “Listen to me you MEANIE… you’re as cold as him!” he growled at me. “What? I don’t quite get it…give me the book back…” I said taking the book from his hands. “You like him even though he’s like me? That’s it you’re weird…”

“Woah… you figured out I like him?! How could you?!” he said touching his cheeks. “Well it’s obvious you fluffy brain…” I teased and then again he pouted. “So who’s this guy?” I asked nonchalantly returning to the pages of my book.

“He’s Cho Kyuhyun.”

………………………………….

I woke up from a dream that was years ago. It was a memory of someone really close to me, and what I hate the most is that this dream finally reminded me.

Last night I remembered why I hated Cho Kyuhyun, and I got the answer out of me when I came back to the park. The night I saved Cho Kyuhyun, I was about to visit the place that took away the life of someone precious to me, and I remembered him.

I may have forgotten him because of the events that happened after Sungmin passed away but Sungmin himself reminded me again. I finally met the person he loved.

“Are you really doing this to me now?” I murmured burying myself to the pillow as the tears came flowing down unconsciously. “Why did you do the most impossible things huh? Sungmin….”

The probability of him meeting that person was small. Mentally cursing himself because he chose to come back to Korea, but he wanted to do everything that Sungmin wanted him to do. He became kinder, sociable, and he learned the things Sungmin hope he’d learn. He was a negative person, he’s not special or any of the sort. Sungmin was the one who’s special not him… why did God took him away, He should’ve died, and Park Sungmin should’ve lived his happy life.

Last night, Cho Kyuhyun offered a ride home, he wanted to decline but his knees were too weak from the shock. He hated himself for showing how vulnerable he is but he had no time to think of a retort. Now that he saw the man closer, he begun to speculate things he didn’t see before, the man’s smooth face, handsome eyes, his sculpted jaw, his pale lips. Everything about this man made him uncomfortable, made him rethink the reasons that made Park Sungmin loved that kind of man.

It feels like his head was about to split in half. There are still some memories that are missing; there are still some pieces of the puzzle he can’t remember. Is the trauma from loosing someone you really cared for that fatal?

…………………….

“Min, you’re spacing out again…” Kangin-hyung’s voice called me. I was in a trance the whole day and I was about to perform.

“Oh I’m sorry…” I murmured getting myself ready. “I’ll just take my guitar then-“

“Sungmin…” Kangin called out to him. “Your guitar isn’t with you when you walk in today…”

“What?” I shouted feeling nervous all of a sudden. “But, I brought it…”

“No you didn’t… what’s happening to you? Are you okay?” Kangin asked holding onto Sungmin’s shoulder.

“I-I need that guitar… where do I left it?” I said panicking. “That guitar was really important… hyung~ help me find it…”  begging  Kangin-hyung to help me find my guitar who I personally didn’t know where I left it.

“I’m looking for Lee Sungmin?”

I heard a low deep familiar voice and I wasn’t wrong. Cho Kyuhyun is standing at the front of my dressing room.

“Kyuhyun-ssi?” I called out to him, exactly dumbfounded about him, being here again.

He looked at me then looked away almost instantly. “Here-“ he brought out a huge black casket.

“Oh my god… where did you find it?” I asked forgetting about everything else as I grabbed my guitar.

“You left it in my car…” he said monotonously.

“In your car?” I heard Kangin-hyung raised his voice in disbelief. “What are you doing in his car Sungmin?”

I have no words for Kangin-hyung’s question. I can’t explain to him everything in details. Kyuhyun eyed me awkwardly and said. “I should go, I just came here to bring your guitar to you…”

I felt a jolt inside me, and my hand reached out to him holding him back. Just like before he looked at me in surprise but this time I wasn’t able to let go.

“I’ll be done in just a few songs so… if it’s still okay with you, can I thank you properly later so-“ I stammered and I stopped when I heard a small laugh from him. “I’ll wait for you to finish so that you can thank me properly later…” he said and I let go of his hands slowly. “I’ll be watching you perform so good luck…”

By that he left smiling a little, and my feelings were in chaos. What’s happening to me now? I can feel my face heating up.

What’s going to happen now? Sungmin?”

 

To Be Continued