Why do you Have to be so Stubborn? (mangalover93 request)

The Donggyu Fanclub

tumblr_mdu8fuGDcG1rkw3bio1_500.png

 

Requested by: mangalover93

Written by: LogieBearxx (Donggyu Fanclub's New Drabble Writer) 

Rating: PG-13 with some Language 

Prompt: Sunggyu has been tired lately and Dongwoo's worried. When he tries to make Sunggyu rest, Sunggyu gets mad and they fight and then something bad happens to Dongwoo..

A/N: It was originally going to be a drabble, but the plotline ended up around 4.4k words and I didn't want to mess with that too much.

 

Why do you Have to be so Stubborn? 

 

 

“Gyu.” Silence. I just watched my elder shuffle through the room looking for something with no regards to his surroundings. “Gyu, can you hear me?” Apparently not. Not only had he ignored me, he picked up the pace, which was the exact opposite of what I wanted him to do. “Gyu, stop it.”

            “Shut up, Dongwoo. I’m looking for something,” he snapped at me before returning to his business.

            “I can see that. You’re face is also getting red.”

            “I can have a red face. It’s not a crime.”

            “You shouldn’t get yourself flustered! It’s not good for your health right now.” When he spun around to face me, I knew there was something he wanted to say. To yell out in frustration because I was fawning over him from where I sat on the couch, where he should be sitting. Swallowing it, he settled for an aggravated sigh before stomping over to his room to look for whatever it was in peace. “I’m just trying to help you, you know.”

            “I know, I know.” He called from his door. “I promise I’ll sit down after I find this, okay?”

            “What are you looking for? I’ll help you.”

            “A book.” I almost rolled off the couch in disbelief.

            “A book? Dammit, Gyu. Sit down; I’ll find you one.”

            “I can be self sufficient. It’s just a fever.” Regardless, he took his seat on the couch as promised while I went into my own room.

            “Ridiculous,” I muttered under my breath before finding some decent reading material to distract him for the rest of the day.

~*~

This was one of Sunggyu’s many attempts to do everything but heed the doctor’s warning. He was honing in at about 38.8 degrees celsius, and was told to focus on nothing but fever reducers and bedrest. The doctor didn’t consider however, the fact that Sunggyu was Infinite’s leader, and he took that job very seriously. I may have been put in charge until he recovered because I was the second oldest, but Sunggyu still insisted on doing everything he’s ever done, and it was only making things worse.

~*~

            This was getting out of hand. We were all just putting our shoes on and getting ready to leave for dance practice when Woohyun tapped my shoulder.

            “What is it?”

            “Shouldn’t he. . ?” Woohyun gestured behind him at Sunggyu who was bundling himself up in his coat.

            “Sunggyu?” I cleared my throat before asking.

            “Hm?”

            “What do you think you’re doing right now?”

            “I’m getting ready to go. Now hurry up and open the door before we’re late.”

            “You’re not getting ready to go, because you’re not going. The doctor said to get plenty of rest so that the fever would go down. I’m surprised you’re even standing.”

            “I am going, Dongwoo.”

            “I-”

            “I’m not going to overwork myself; I won’t even practice, but I need to watch you guys so that I’ll know what I missed. Besides, I can watch and critique you guys.”

            “You won’t get up?”

           “Not for a second.” In the midst of our little face-off, the other members shuffled back and forth awkwardly. Although Sunggyu was still the oldest and the leader, I was still technically in charge right now. It was a weird situation. However, they let out a collective sigh of relief when I nodded and led the way out. This would be easier on everyone, and I wanted the day to go as smoothly as possible. I just prayed that he would stick to his word, and not be as stubborn as he usually was.

~*~

            It was a lost cause. Whatever energy he was saving by sitting down, he more than made up for it by scolding us.

            “Myungsoo, stop being so stiff! Are you a plank of wood?!” Was his comment on our first take, about thirty seconds in.

            “Sungjong, learn to count. Do you think there are three beats per measure? You’re ahead of everyone else.” He added in that nice little tidbit all of twenty seconds later. No one was safe, especially on the second runthrough.

            “Woohyun, you don’t spin there. What is the point of a choreographer when you freestyle the whole way through, huh?”

            “Hoya, you’re a main dancer. You’re better than this.”

            “God damnit Sungyeol! You were born with naturally long legs; you should be flaunting them! Go down more on the lunges. Bring your leg out more. . Just like that. . . perfect.” Sunggyu was paying too much attention to Sungyeol’s legs and their position to notice the scowl on the younger’s face.

            “Dongwoo-”

            “Do not even say it, hyung.” I interrupt him before he has the chance. “Calm down. We’ll start from the beginning.”

            “The beginning isn’t the issue,” Sunggyu insisted. “You guys are really messing up about halfway through. It should be like this.” Everyone’s eyes immediately went to gauge my reaction when Sunggyu stood up to demonstrate. I was hoping that he would realize his lapse in judgment and return to his stool before I had to yell at him. As annoyed as I was, I didn’t want to scold him or insult him in any way.

            Alas, he did not think he was doing anything wrong and began to run the choreography starting at the second verse. I could see his face getting more and more flushed, but just as I was about to intervene, he collapsed.

            “Sunggyu hyung!” I called out from where we were all standing, but I noticed that his eyes were shut and he was unconscious. “,” I muttered under my breath before turning to Howon. The other members had all rushed to the leader besides him, who just stood there in shock. “Howon, go find Hyoan and tell him to start the car.” He looked up from his trance and nodded.

            “Sure thing.”

            “Okay everyone,” I said as soon as Howon left. “We’re going to end practice for today; we’ll just have to work twice as hard tomorrow. Help me lift him up so we can get him to the van.” I brushed his hair out of his face before lifting up his arms, Woohyun grabbing his legs and Sungyeol supporting his middle. Sungjong ran ahead to open the first set of double doors, and Myungsoo opened the ones after that. When we got outside, Hyoan was already in the driver’s seat and Hoya held the passenger door open.

I laid Sunggyu down in the passenger seat before lowering it to make him more comfortable. We all crowded into our usual seats, me sitting in the seat behind the passenger, and other than explaining what happened to our manager, we rode to the dorms mostly in silence. There was one other hiatus in the tense atmosphere when Sunggyu stirred. He let out a small groan.

            “Shh, hyung. Go back to sleep.”

            “What happened?” He squinted up at me from his reclined position. I rested my chin on the seat to speak to him.

            “You were scolding us, remember?” I laughed. “You had such a fit.”

            “That. . .sounds like me.”

            “Exactly like you.” He smiles.

            “Did you guys listen to me?”

            “We didn’t really have a chance to. You collapsed, so we called it quits.”

            “I did?”

            “Yeah. We carried you out to the van.” I reached to move his bangs off of his forehead. They were stuck there because of the sweat, and I could tell it was making him uncomfortable. He still had a noticeable fever, and what just went down no doubt made it worse. He sighed in content with his hair out of his face and closed his eyes. “Go back to sleep, I’ll let you know when we get there.”

            “Okay. .” He muttered, not opening his eyes. “Just keep doing that.”

            “Sure thing, hyung.” With my chin still resting on the seat, I his hair for the rest of the ride. It was quiet again until we reached the dorms and brought him inside to his room.

~*~

            “Yes! Day off!” Sungjong cheered once Sunggyu was in bed and everyone gathered in the living room.

            “Absolutely not.”

            “Why, hyung? You said practice was cancelled.” He pouted.

            “I should have chosen my words more carefully then. We’ll continue with individual practice for now. Remember what Gyu said. Sungyeol, work on your lunges. Straighten your leg more. Uh. . . what else was he going on about? Myungsoo, do some yoga to loosen up a bit. Sungjong, practice counting, I guess?”

            “Are you serious?”

            “Do I look serious?”

            “You never look serious.”

            “. . Right. Well, you can join me, Howon, and Woohyun.”

            “What do I have to do?” Woohyun whined. Howon also looked annoyed.

            “Sunggyu said you don’t have the choreography down, so Howon and I can run through it with you. It’ll also help Sungjong with the counts. Does everyone know what they’re doing?” A few disgruntled noises of acknowledgement sounded throughout the room. “Then let’s get to it.”

~*~

            I called for a break a couple minutes before Sunggyu shuffled into the room. He scratched his head as he looked at all of us.

            “Can I see what it looks like?” He asked. “I’ll behave this time.”

            “S-sure. Did we wake you up?”
            “No. I woke up on my own. I’ll just sit and watch you.” But, luck was not on our side, for as he was making his way across the room, he slipped on someone’s sweatshirt and toppled to the floor. We all just stood there, mouths agape, at a seemingly unprecedented turn of events. How does this even happen in real life? Sunggyu just groaned in pain as he sat himself up. He looked down at the purple hoodie, immediately deducing whose it was. “Lee Howon!” He snapped, glaring at the younger rapper.

            “Hyung, I-” He pleaded, wide-eyed, but he was cut off.

            “Why would you leave your hoodie on the floor? Is this Mario Kart? Is it?”

            “I just-”

            “Is it Mario Kart, Lee Howon?”

            “No, it isn’t.”

            “Isn’t, what?”

            “No, it isn’t, hyung.”

            “Well if it’s not Mario Kart, then there’s no need for roadblocks. You don’t gain an advantage for tripping me.”

            “Don’t work yourself up, Sunggyu.” I beg. His face was turning red and he was sweating again.

           “I am ill, Lee Howon. I can’t be falling on the floor!” He stood himself up in the most dignified way possible, spreading a little bit of his evil eye to each member. “And that goes for all of you. Why is this dorm so messy? Why can’t we do laundry once in a while? Would that kill us?” He bent down and snatched up the hoodie as well as the laundry basket beside it, tossing the garment it. He went around the room to wherever any stray clothes were, picking them up and putting them in the bin at a terrifying pace for someone in his condition. I tried to get him to stop, standing in his way and making faces at him, but he was determined to clean this room because no one was volunteering. They just stood there in disbelief.

            “Sunggyu, stop.” I was shocked at the authority I could hear in my voice, never knowing that I had such a tone. I had a hand on his chest to prevent him from moving, and he stilled. Myungsoo walked up to take the basket away, muttering something about putting the laundry in the washer. “You don’t look too good,” I continued, referring to his now blanched complexion and droopy eyes. He was also struggling to catch his breath.

            “I’m. . .I’m a little lightheaded,” he conceded. His eyelids were starting to flutter shut and I knew he would pass out again. I leaned in to grab him under his arms before he fell down, and made my way through the wall of bystanders to get him back to his room. I laid him down, fluffing his pillow the best I could. In spite of my efforts, he still looked a little uncomfortable; sweaty and overheated. I gave him a onceover, assessing what I could do to fix the problem. It didn’t take long to decide he was wearing too many layers. I was nervous about undressing him, but I didn’t even need to take his temperature to know it had increased and I couldn’t take my chances.

            So, I gulped and thanked God that Sunggyu wasn’t awake to see my blush. With a newfound resolve, I gripped the waistband of his track pants, pulling them down over his legs, taking his socks off along with them. I chuckled a bit at the elephant underwear he was wearing. It had been a gift from a fan and he had insisted that he had only tried it on once. I also knew he would be mortified if anyone knew he wore it regularly, which only made it more amusing. I didn’t want to wake him up though, so I ped his hoodie and tried to get it off of him in the least inconspicuous way possible. Succeeding after my fifth attempt, he remained only in his grey wifebeater and elephant drawers. I took the other garments and put them in his laundry bin so that we could avoid another cleaning fiasco.

            “I’ll be right back,” I said, walking off to the bathroom. I pulled a washcloth off the rack and drenched it in slightly cool water. Wringing it out to dry, I brought it back to his room and folded it over his forehead. Not only would it cool him down, but it would keep his bangs out of the way, which was always a plus. “Rest well. Okay, hyung?” I smiled and squeezed his hand. “Don’t worry. I’ll give the others grief about this for you.”

            I let the compassion drip out of my soul so that I could effectively tell the other members what’s what. No one would be spared. Except maybe Myungsoo. He put the laundry in, so all was forgiven on his end.

            “Guys!” I barked. They all immediately ran up to me in a line. I didn’t want to yell at them, and normally I would be the one making a joke to lighten the mood. However, the few days I had spent in Sunggyu’s position made me understand why he could be so strict all the time. It was hard being the leader. And it was hard earning respect. I was friends with all of the other members, but I wasn’t highly respected by them. Not like they respected Sunggyu (even though it didn’t always shine through on our variety shows, when we would make fun of his eyes or his age). I respected him even more after being in his shoes. You really had to be serious when you were in charge. I couldn’t wait to go back to comic relief when all was said and done.

            “Sir, yes sir!” Sungyeol mocked with a salute. On the inside, I was dying at his lightheartedness in this situation. It was definitely needed. But, I had to be serious and Sunggyu-esque, so I just scowled at him.

            “This is no time for fun and games, private.” I made the military joke by accident, and had to hold back a snort as to not encourage laughter from the others. “Sunggyu is ill and we can’t go on like this. We can’t keep messing up the choreography to make him mad or leave our mess around so he falls and then goes on a rant about nintendo games. And for ’s sake, can we please get a bookshelf or a coffee table by the couch so he can get some reading material in here?” The others looked confused at my last statement, not having been here for his escapade in search of a book to entertain himself. “You guys have to shape up. If we keep aggravating him, he’s never going to let himself rest enough to get better. And then our comeback will be postponed.” That got everyone’s attention. “Do you want that?” They shook their heads quickly, and looked down in shame. “I don’t think that will happen, but just. . . be better, okay?”

            “Okay,” came the collective response.

            “How about we have dinner, alright? All is forgiven. Sunggyu’s taking a nap, and everything will be better when he wakes up.” They smiled and went to prepare a meal. It was at this point that I realized Sunggyu was not taking a nap. He was standing in the doorway. Could he not lay down for two seconds?!

            “Dinner sounds good. I’ll help.”

            “Please don’t. Sit down.”

            “You know I’m getting really tired of you saying that. You sound like a broken record.” He continued walking and I blocked his path, putting my hands on his waist to stabilize him.

            “I know I keep repeating myself. But I mean it. The doctor said you had to relax to get better, and you’ve been doing everything but the last two days. The sooner you do so, the sooner you’ll be healthy again and you won’t have to hear me say it. So please.”

            “Dongwoo, I don’t have time for bed rest. It will get better on it’s own. I’ll take more ibuprofen.”

            “That’s not as effective!” I whined, pulling him into a hug. I noticed at this point that he had put on different boxers; ones that went down to his knees and had modest blue and white stripes. He probably did so to protect his pride; I could imagine the look on his face when he woke up and realized what he was wearing, or what someone had seen him wearing. “I really want you to get better.” He awkwardly patted my shoulder while trying to get me off so he could help the younger guys with the meal. I groaned and just dropped my arms to my sides, resting my head on his shoulder in an attempt to block him.

            “Dongwoo, please move.”

            “Make me.”

            “You are a child.”

            “Would a child be put in charge?”

            “Excuse me?” I stood up straight and looked at him. I didn’t want to continue with this, but if it was a point I had to make to give him incentive to recover, so be it.

            “You know. I’m the temporary leader until you get better.”

            “I know. Temporary. I’m still the official leader.”

            “You’re nothing as long as you’re sick.” . That was not how I wanted to word this. And he missed my signals shouting, I didn’t mean it like that. Give me a chance to reword that, as he narrowed his eyes at me.

            “Dongwoo, get out of the way. Now.” I sighed and stood up, letting him pass by me. There was no use in continuing this. Now he was mad at me, and even if he did listen to me before, he sure as hell wouldn’t now. I groaned in frustration and just laid down on the floor for a good ten minutes, letting the anger and frustration out of me without sending some low blows anywhere else.

            When the others filed in, I knew what their reactions were. Sungyeol without a doubt bit back a smile when he saw me making frustrated noises into the floorboards. Sungjong most likely left the room as soon as he came in, and Howon just looked on awkwardly. Sunggyu, ignorant as he is, most likely sat on the couch by me with his noodles, eating without a care in the world and asking Woohyun to please bring him a glass of water, because the spice was making him thirsty. Thank you.

            This was driving me crazy, and I could not vent nearby them. I still had my carefree image to maintain for after I stepped down from my temporary position. I stood up and stormed to the entranceway, shoving my shoes on my feet before grabbing my coat and walking out of the dorm. Letting out an aggravated sigh, I walked down the stairs at twice my usual speed and didn’t realize until too late that I missed one of the steps by a centimeter.

            “MOTHERFU-”

~*~

            The other members looked up from where they were eating, meeting each other’s gaze. When Sungjong had seen Dongwoo lying on the floor in a fit of rage, he turned right back around to the kitchen, not wanting to deal with it. Woohyun had come in and said hi to him while getting Sunggyu a glass of water, but he mainly ate in silence. However, when he heard yelling from outside the door and a string of curses that could have only come from Dongwoo, he rushed into the living room to see the others. Howon, Sunggyu, and Woohyun were on the couch. Myungsoo and Sungyeol were on chairs opposite each other on either side of the sofa. They were all having some sort of stare down, trying to guess what happened to Dongwoo, and which one of them would go to verify their thoughts.

            A few tense moments passed before Sungjong gave up and decided to go see for himself. As soon as he opened the door, the yelling got louder and Sungjong could see Dongwoo at the bottom of the steps, clutching his ankle and cursing his luck.

            “Hyung, are you okay?”

            “No, Sungjong. Obviously. Damn it.”

            “No need to snap.”

            “I’m sorry. Look let’s just get me into the van so we can go get my ankle checked out and see what happened to it.”

“But you’re the only one with a license. Should I get the manager?”

“Nah. I don’t think he needs two issues in one day. I have my wallet. Just go get the keys. And be grateful that my left ankle is the one with the problem right now.”

“Should I tell the others?”

“No. You can just come with me. I don’t think I broke it, so it won’t take long. I’m just going to see what a doctor thinks I should do. Unlike Sunggyu, I listen to instruction.”

~*~

            So, like I had predicted, my ankle wasn’t broken. However, it was in bad condition. Thanks to my tumble down a flight of stairs that made me land on it in a bad position, my left ankle was now sprained, and I could not walk on it at all. The doctor just put it in a standard ankle wrap and recommended bed rest. The irony of it all. Of course, being a dancer, this wasn’t a procedure I didn’t already see coming, but I was better off checking to make sure. I got a set of crutches to get me to the car, where I had to drive myself home, Sungjong  being anxious and fidgeting over my every move.

            Now I really felt like Sunggyu.

~*~

            “Jesus, Dongwoo. Are you okay?”
            “Yeah, Howon. I’m fine. It’s a terrible sprain, but it’ll get better. I’ll more than make up for it anyway.” The other members crowded me, including Sunggyu, who held no hint of a grudge from earlier. It seemed all was well on that front; it was a stupid argument anyway. All that was left was concern as he pulled me to my room, telling everyone to give me some distance and not bother me until morning.

            “Here, Dongwoo. Sit down.” He insisted, closing the doors behind us.

            “Oh, how the table’s have turned.” I couldn’t hide my smirk.

            “Shut up,” he said, but there was a hint of a smile on his lips. He walked over to my dresser to pull out some track pants and handed them to me so I wouldn’t have to sleep in my jeans. As I stood up, I put all my weight on my right ankle and pulled my pants down. Sunggyu immediately spun around to stare at the wall, and I laughed at his embarrassment.

            “Gyu, I’m wearing boxers. And last time I checked, that’s all you’re wearing as well. Don’t make a fuss.”

            “I’m not making a fuss. I’m being polite.”

            “Uh huh.” I slipped my left leg through the track pants and sat down to get the right leg through without having to balance on my left. “You can turn around. I’m decent.”

            “Whatever.” He turned back around and sat next to me. I could feel the warmth emanating from him; the fever had still not gone down. “When I. . When I passed out in the living room on you-”

            “I took you back to your room. And yes I took some of your layers off to cool you down. And yes I put the washcloth on your head.” After a pause, I added, “and yes, I did see.” Sunggyu’s face turned the deepest shade of red I have ever seen in mortification. I laughed as his face scrunched up in embarrassment.

            “Could you not. . .?”

            “Don’t worry. I won’t tell. You still have your dignity, after all.”

            “Shut up!” He swatted my arm. “They’re comfortable!”

            “Whatever you say,” I mocked.

            “You should lay down. The doctor said to rest.”

            “That sounds so familiar for some reason.”

            “Don’t you dare call me a hypocrite.”

            “Was I going to?” I sighed and laid down, stretching my back. Sunggyu picked up a pillow to rest under my left ankle and elevate it.

            “Is that any better?”

            “Yes. Thank you.”

            “Okay. I’m going to go out and see the others.”

            “Sunggyu?”

            “What?”

            “You’re supposed to have plenty of bedrest, too.”

            “I can do that later.”

            “Oh no!” I said melodramatically. “Silly me! I forgot.”

            “Forgot what?”

            “I have a marathon to train for. I better get this ankle in shape!”

            “Don’t you dare stand up,” he said when I had already reached a sitting position.

            “But Gyu! This is important. Besides, I’ll just take some ibuprofen and it will be better in no time.” We had a bit of a standoff for a second, each of us daring the other to make a move. I wasn’t one to make an ultimatum, but the ends justify the means.

            “Alright, fine.” Sunggyu gave in and walked back towards me. He sat down on the edge of the bed and put his hand on my stomach. I guess he was trying to hold me down. Instead, I wrapped my arms around his waist to pull him down beside me. His warmth was somewhat similar to a blanket, and I snuggled in close to it. Holding each other in place, neither of us would break our promise. He wiped my hair out of my face and I smiled, closing my eyes.

            The only problem was, with the two oldest Infinite members out of commission, Woohyun would be the makeshift leader for the next few days.

 

 

Donggyu Fanclub is now affiliated with The Myungjong Files!!! If you are a Myungjong Fan check out this fanclub!