A Rebirth for the Broken

Viral Interaction

 

It had taken several attempts before he finally managed to read the entire letter. He had to stop every time his vision was blurred with tears. He didn’t want to stain the precious letter despite being a total wreck. Daehyun carefully placed the letter on his desk and grabbed his phone.

It was as if something within was ignited by Youngjae’s spark. He was given a reason to live again. He wasn’t just living for himself; he was also living for Youngjae. He had to live the life his friend could not and he had to do whatever was humanly possible to bring his life back around. Daehyun knew that going back to TS was impossible. They would no longer take him in after abandoning them so suddenly. Daehyun probably wouldn’t have accepted even if TS came begging for him. He was moving on, TS was in the past but he would always remember it, along with the fond memories with his friend.

Daehyun dialled for Himchan as he picked up Youngjae’s phone off from the ground. He caught his reflection off from the screen and the one thing he had been searching for since the very start. The sparks, the flare of determination, the fire that Youngjae had helped ignite and rekindled.

As Himchan’s phone rang Daehyun typed the numbers 7, 2, 2, 6 on Youngjae’s phone and as if by magic it unlocked.

“Daehyun?” Himchan groaned, “It’s one in the morning. You better have a good ing reason to be calling me.”

Daehyun saw the messages he had sent to Youngjae and without even bothering to read them he deleted them. “Are you friends with Bang Yongguk?” he questioned, even though he already knew the answer.

“I love that how whenever we speak you never actually say hello,” Himchan sighed as the sleep began to disappear from this voice and added most definitely, “No, I don’t know anyone called Bang Yongguk.”

Daehyun had opened Youngjae’s photo album and scrolled through the images. Most of them were photos of himself or just Youngjae pulling strange faces at the camera. The smile across Daehyun’s face didn’t falter despite Himchan’s reluctance in admitting he knew Yongguk. “I know you’re friends with him. He's the same guy as Jepp Blackman. I must be a pretty bad friend if I didn’t know Bang Yongguk and Jepp are actually the same person.”

“What do you mean ‘I know you’re friends’?” Himchan interrogated.

“I saw his name on your phone and I’m pretty sure that BYG stands for Bang Yong Guk. Youngjae was apparently meant to email to you about him. So Himchan, you’re friends with Yongguk,” Daehyun pointed out simply he continued to flick through the photos, the memories of Youngjae.

A deep growl emerged from the back of HImchan’s throat as he admitted, “Yes, I’m friends with Yongguk and no I won’t get you his autograph.”

Daehyun let out a small laugh, “Good. I don’t want his autograph anyway.”

“What do you want then?” Himchan asked sounding a little apprehensive.

“I want to work with him,” Daehyun stated as he stopped at an image of both himself and Youngjae smiling fondly, “Just once. Just one song, me and him.”

There was a moment of silence when all he could hear was the sound of Himchan breathing. “Okay, I’ll see what I can do.”

 

Daehyun couldn’t believe it; he was actually having lunch with Bang Yongguk. A part of him wished that Youngjae could be there with him instead of Himchan. Youngjae would have been utterly ecstatic but he wasn’t and Daehyun had to make the most of it. Yongguk had told him over the phone that he had personally met Youngjae a couple times at the hospital. He said that Youngjae was so shocked the first time he broke down into tears. Daehyun didn’t know if he was joking or not but he laughed either way, it sounded like something Youngjae would do.

It had taken countless weeks before Himchan managed to get both him and Yongguk over to Busan since Daehyun was certain his parents wouldn’t allow him to go to Seoul just for a lunch with some man they never knew of. But that time hadn’t gone to waste.

Daehyun was given Yongguk’s number, courtesy of Himchan and told him the idea he had. He wanted to give tribute to the person who not only saved him from the shadows just once but twice. Yongguk gave his full support and the two began to work on possible lyrics. There were thousands of drafts that ended up as scrap and Daehyun even sorted out help from his teachers at school. When their advice wasn’t enough he sent an email to both Jongup and Junhong, asking them for help.

Daehyun admitted that it was difficult explaining his situation to both of the boys. He thought that he was simply going to be shunned by the two of them after lying to them but it was the exact opposite. They both welcomed him back with open arms. Neither of them had understood why Daehyun had left. Some of the trainees had begun spreading rumours that he was dying but he quickly put those rumours to rest, which made Jongup and Junhong sigh in relief. The news of Youngjae’s death came to a shock to the two of them, just as the rest of the people touched by him. Daehyun knew that no one would ever understand his loss but Jongup and Junhong tried and that was enough to put a smile across his face.

There were two people Youngjae had admired most deeply in the world; Jepp Blackman and Jung Daehyun. He admired the confidence Jepp evoked and the fighting passion of Daehyun.  So what better way to give tribute to him than have the two perform together on stage?

 


A/N: The next chapter will be the last one. Thank you all for your taking the time to read my story.