Pleads

Viral Interaction

Daehyun was sitting at the dinner table with his parents. The letter from TS was sitting on his lap, waiting to be announced but he wasn’t sure on how he should do it. He wasn’t sure on how his parents would react. They both were so keen on the idea for him to get into a prestigious university and further his studies, becoming an idol did not seem to fit in their criteria.

 

He had received hours and hours of hearing Youngjae give him advice on how he should persuade his rather strict parents. Youngjae told him the key was to remain focused on his argument and don’t show any fear. It was easier said than done since he rarely stood up for himself.

Perhaps the letter from TS Entertainment would be enough to force his parents to let him go to Seoul. But first he would try with words and see how far that would get him.

“Did you know a couple days ago someone from Seoul came all the way to my school?” Daehyun asked lightly as he took a mouthful of rice.

“Really?” his mother replied, not sounding too impressed by the news.

“Wasn’t it a man who works for some music company or something? I think I read about it on the paper,” his father added.

“TS Entertainment,” Daehyun pointed out, “He was from TS Entertainment.”

“Mmmmm,” his father merely grunted as he returned to his meal.

“Actually he came to hold auditions at school and you know,” Daehyun spoke out, urging himself to continue, “I auditioned coz I thought it would be fun.”

He noticed how his father’s eyes darted over at him briefly and how his mother purposely chose to reply with a sarcastic comment, “Since when did you find singing fun? I thought you liked watching movies.”

“I hope you know how to separate playing from your education,” his father pointed out, “I don’t want you to fail another test again.”

A shudder crawled down Daehyun’s back as he remembered back to the moment he was cowering away from the shower water, simply because the pressure from the showerhead was too much to bear on his fresh bruises. He remembered being sore for weeks on end and told himself that he would have to do better next time in a test or be faced with the same consequences again.

“I got accepted by TS and they want me to go to Seoul,” Daehyun blurted out quickly like word vomit.

“What?” his mother snapped at him out of surprise.

Daehyun’s father merely eyed him but said nothing, making him feel very small.

“I got accepted by TS and they want to see me in Seoul,” Daehyun repeated a little more cautiously.

“Seoul? What right now?” his father questioned, “It’s half way through the year and they want you go to there? Such a careless company, they don’t even care about your education.”

 “Your father has a point.  It’s the middle of the school year and you can’t miss out on your classes. You’re good at schoo – ” his mother began but was interrupted by him.

“No. You think I’m good at school,” Daehyun pointed out, “I just want to try this out. Let me go Seoul and if I fail and comeback I’ll make sure I’ll get A+’s in everything. You don’t even have to get me anything for my birthday or for Christmas or anything at all. Just let me go Seoul.”

“How do I know you’re not lying and you’re just making this all up?” his father scrutinised.

Daehyun grabbed the letter that sat on his lap and handed it over. He watched them stare down at the green logo of TS Entertainment. Everything was in that letter; it was 100% authentic, there was no way his parents could point out any faults in it since it was real.

“I’ve always sang,” Daehyun answered back watched his parents read over letter, “I have to go to this. They don’t just call back anyone. They only call back the people who are good. When was it the last time I was good at anything?”

Daehyun could see his mother slowly give way to his words yet his father looked persistent. It would all come down to him in the end. There was no point packing his bags and simply run away to Seoul, TS wouldn’t want someone who didn’t even have the permission from his parents. Daehyun stared down his father as he carefully read each word, mostly likely scrutinising every inch of the document.

“How long would this take?” he questioned.

“It depends if they want me or not and depends on how fast I learn,” Daehyun pointed out definitely, “But even then, I can study in the meantime. I’ll make sure all my teachers send me my homework so I’m not behind. Even if I do make it to the next round with them and I fail my tests for school, I’ll drag myself back here.”

His father looked over at him and seemed to have sized his words but it must have been the passion in Daehyun’s voice or the flare in his eyes that managed to make his father say, “Okay, fine. You can go Seoul but I expect good marks from your tests. I don’t want to hear you complain that you’re too tired. If I hear you complain I’m dragging you back home by the ear if I have to.”

Relief swept through Daehyun like a welcomed breeze.