Smiles

Viral Interaction

 

Daehyun sat alone on his train with his luggage bag being his only company. He looked out the window at the passing view, in a couple hours’ time he would be in Seoul. Jung Daehyun would finally get his Busan over in the nation’s capital. The excitement had lost its buzz after the first couple hours and now he was getting restless.

There wasn’t much entertainment in a train. He had brought his work from school since he had promised his parents that he would be actually studying in Seoul but he wasn’t bored enough to start it just yet. The buzz of excitement continued to gnaw at him as he gazed out at the landscape. Not only was he going to meet Youngjae for the first time, he was actually going to Seoul and sing. He didn’t know why all this was happening. It felt like everything was just a dream.

First off meeting Youngjae seemed like an accident. If Daehyun hadn’t decided to follow him on tumblr, none of this would be happening. Daehyun wouldn’t have applied for the TS audition; he wouldn’t have this confidence bubbling inside him. He would be just another kid sitting at home, wishing he had a better life or another life.

Even though he still didn’t bother to get close to any of his real life friends, they could tell that something in him had changed. They often asked him if he had gotten a girlfriend but of course Daehyun would just laugh it off and shake his head. His friends didn’t know whether to believe him or not but no one questioned him. The believed that if it wasn’t a girlfriend, Daehyun was happy about getting into TS. He didn’t know if anyone else from his school got accepted but he didn’t care, he was determined to do well. For once he was actually willing to fight for what he wanted.

 

As the train finally came to a standstill, he and the other passengers were boarded off. Daehyun was almost overwhelmed by it all as people darted all around him. Each person was out with their own mission, whether it was to simply get some groceries or to head off to work, the train station was full of life and activity.

Daehyun took hold of his luggage bag and tried his best to not look like a lost puppy. But he was. He felt so insignificant against all the hustle and bustle. No one in particular stopped to ask him if he was lost, everyone was busy doing their own thing and Daehyun loved it. No one knew each other and they all minded their own business. It was the total opposite of life back at home where everyone knew pretty much everything about each other.

“You’re taller than what I imagined,” a familiar voice called out.

Daehyun didn’t have to turn around to know who it was. He had called Youngjae nightly to sing to him. He had heard that voice so many times and yet it still always managed to put a smile across his face.

Slowly Daehyun faced his friend for the first time. He didn’t know what to expect, sure he had seen photos of Youngjae but to see someone in person was completely different.

Youngjae stood at eye level with him with a chirpy smile that welcomed him. Even his trademark cheeks were just vibrant as ever, even more so in person.

“You’re shorter than what I imagined,” Daehyun teased as he returned the smile with his own.

Youngjae let out a chuckle as Daehyun took notice of the bright orange beanie sitting on top of his head. His hair appeared to be shaved and Daehyun doubted that he had much hair underneath that woollen hat. Youngjae didn’t seem to care; he had accepted it as a part of himself.

“Aish, the first thing you say to me in person is an insult,” Youngjae sighed as he took Daehyun’s bag from right under his fingers.

“No, I didn’t mean it like that,” Daehyun was quick to defend himself as Youngjae laughed at him again. 

“Ahhh I’m just kidding,” he nudged, “Anyway are you hungry?”

Daehyun threw him a knowing glance as Youngjae rolled his eyes playfully.

“So stupid of me, of course you’re hungry. You need to be at TS later on the afternoon right? So let’s grab something to eat now and then I’ll take you to TS HQ. How does that sound?” Youngjae suggested.

Daehyun replied simply, “You know when there’s food involved, I’m there.”

Youngjae shook his head as he laughed with the enthusiastic smile still plastered across his face. Daehyun didn’t know if he was merely happy about seeing each other the first time or if he was always generally a smiley person but either way, Daehyun liked it. It made him feel all warm and fuzzy inside.