Idols

Viral Interaction

 

In a matter of minutes, Daehyun could already see how the Youngjae online and the Youngjae sitting in front of him were in fact the same person. Just like their online conversations, he was always full of laughter and glee. Daehyun could feel the other patrons in the café throw judgmental glances at them but he didn’t care. He didn’t care that he and his friend were talking too loud or in fact that they were laughing so hard that their chests felt like exploding. The fact that he was out with a friend was enough to make him feel light headed. It was the first time he had actually gone out with a person he would call a genuine friend. No once had his schoolmates seen him outside school and yet Youngjae, despite living miles apart managed to share a lunch with him.

“I thought your parents were big in keeping you indoors,” Daehyun stated as he took a sip of his bubble tea after finishing his lunch.

Youngjae spun his straw as he shrugged with another smile creeping across his face, “Well actually my parents are always out working so they don’t have much time to monitor me at hospital or even at home. As long as I’ve rested a couple days after my treatment the doctors and nurses let me go out. Although most of the time I stay indoors to just talk to people because I don’t want to risk getting sick or anything.”

“But you’re outside now, aren’t you scared that you’re going to get sick?” Daehyun questioned.

His friend shrugged, “Worth the risk if you tell me. I mean it’s not every day my friend from Busan comes to visit me. But I’m almost finished my treatment so it’s not like some cold is going to come up to me and kill me tomorrow or something. I’m really not that weak you know.”

“I know,” Daehyun replied, “I was just making sure you weren’t doing anything stupid.”

Youngjae choked on a pearl in his own bubble tea and laughed, “I thought I was the one making sure you weren’t going to do anything stupid?”

“We’re both idiots,” Daehyun stated with a chuckle.

“Mmmm I agree with you there,” Youngjae cheered. “Oh and that Jepp gig isn’t till next week. He went off to … I forgot where but he’ll be here performing sometime next week. I hope your training doesn’t get in the way.”

“I’m sure it won’t. It won’t take up all my time; I mean it’s just training. It’s not like I’m an actual idol.”

“Oh!” Youngjae exclaimed as he leaned towards Daehyun and ushered him to do the same. Confused, Daehyun did as told and edged closer to Youngjae. His lively friend pulled out his phone and snapped a couple photos. He nodded in satisfaction as he showed the images to Daehyun. “I wanna make sure I remember today and also I can send you this photo when you’re an idol and ask you ‘remember the days we used to hang out together?’ because you’ll forget about me. I know you will.”

“Youngjae,” Daehyun sighed, “I won’t forget you. I won’t ever forget you. Even if I’m all old and crippled, I won’t forget you.”

“Sure you say that now,” Youngjae pointed out as he returned his phone back into his pocket, “Just you wait when you have fangirls screaming out ‘oppa, oppa, marry me oppa’, you’d be like ‘who’s Youngjae?’”

“Never!” Daehyun exclaimed as he ignored the old woman in the corner giving him a disrespectful glare, “I’ll keep in contact with you…that’s if you don’t become an idol yourself.”

Youngjae chuckled away, “Ahhh maybe one day.”