One Last Change

When I Fall

Hyunrin heard a single knock from her door. She woke up lazily and walked towards the door. Her eyes widened as Yoseob hugged her and smiled widely when she opened the door. “Want to have a breakfast with us? Dongwoon made a special menu this morning, so I think maybe you want to join with us.”

“S-- Sure. But, let me wash my face first.” Hyunrin rubbed her right eye and smiled awkwardly.

“Okay. We’ll be waiting in our apartment.” Yoseob messed Hyunrin’s hair and left.

“Ah~ Finally our princess is here.” Kikwang said happily and winked to Hyunrin when she was walking in to their kitchen. Hyunrin felt her heart was beating faster as she got a wink from that handsome guy, Lee Kikwang.

“Pick what you want, Hyunrin.” Dongwoon said while chewing his food.

“Let me pick your foods.” Yoseob was about to put some lobster on Hyunrin’s plate when suddenly Doojoon stopped him. “She can’t eat lobster. Allergy.”

The boys was starring at him, Hyunrin too.

“How do you know I’m allergic with lobster?”

Doojoon gulped. “Your face. You looked like you wanted to say no to Yoseob but you didn’t say that.”

Hyunrin nodded and Doojoon sighed in relief. “Well, that’s true. Mianhae Yoseob oppa, Doojoon oppa is right. I’m allergic with lobster. Sorry.”

“It’s okay. Go pick your favorite food.” Yoseob smiled and gave Hyunrin’s plate to her and sat back on his seat.

Hyunseung looked at Doojoon who hadn’t touched his foods. He knew something happened with the leader.

“No appetite.” suddenly Doojoon stood up and walked towards his room.

“Yah! Hyung! What’s wrong with you?” Dongwoon said in a harsh manner. Kikwang patted Dongwoon’s back, tried to calm him down.

“Did something happen with him? Did he fight with someone?” Yoseob asked innocently.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“This is our class. You’re in the same class with me.” Dongwoon gave Hyunrin an angelic smile, which usually made the girls swoon.

“Oh thanks God.” Hyunrin jumped and hugged Dongwoon for a second, made him blushed.

All of the girls in their class were starring at Hyunrin with different thoughts. She heard some girls gave her a compliment, the rest did the opposite.

“Don’t worry, they are just jealous.” Dongwoon patted the top of Hyunrin’s head.

“Jealous? Why?”

“You’re the one and only girl who can get closer with me, with Beast. Remember about Beast’s reputation?” Dongwoon said in a hushed voice, gave shivers to Hyunrin’s body.

Hyunrin was trying to concentrate with her study, but she failed. Her mind was full of Doojoon in a sudden. Somehow she was sure she met Doojoon before, she even knew him. But where? When?

Hyunrin got a message from Wooyoung when she was in canteen with Dongwoon at the recess time. Wooyoung said he would come to her apartment tomorrow. Suddenly someone bumped on Hyunrin and spilled the juice on Hyunrin’s shirt. “Oops, sorry. I didn’t mean that. Sorry. Sorry.”

“I-- It’s okay. O-- Okay.” Hyunrin was trying to clean her shirt with tissue but it did nothing, the big stain was still there. “I think I should go to the restroom.” Hyunrin was still trying to clean the stain on her shirt when she bumped on someone else. She looked up and found Doojoon stood in front of her. “Sorry, oppa.”

She was about to walk when Doojoon grabbed her wrist and pulled her to the locker room. Doojoon took something from his locker and it was a white shirt. He handed it to Hyunrin. “Wear this. Don’t be a fool by cleaning the stain with water and made it wider on your shirt.”

“Thanks, oppa.” she smiled awkwardly, didn’t know what else to say.

“I gotta go now.” it was the last words from Doojoon. Hyunrin walked to the restroom and changed her shirt with Doojoon’s. She felt very familiar with the scent of Doojoon’s shirt, it was sweeter than cinnamon but it made Hyunrin comfort with the shirt. It reminded her about something in the past.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The six awesome boys sat on the big sofa with different expressions. Kikwang looked at his watch and sighed. “Wow it’s 8PM already, and it’s still raining! Aish! What the--”

“Since our schedule tonight has been canceled, what would you guys do to kill the time?” Junhyung crossed his arms in front of his chest and chuckled.

“It’s raining you know! And we can do nothing outside because of this ing rain.” Kikwang laid his head on Yoseob’s shoulder.

Suddenly they heard the thunder was so loud and they jumped.

“Damn it.” Yoseob took a deep breath then sighed.

“Hyung, where are you going? It’s raining outside.” Dongwoon asked as he saw their leader stood up and walked out. He got no answer from Doojoon.

Doojoon was standing in front of Hyunrin’s door, still thinking should he knock her door or not. But once again he heard the thunder was louder than before, then he heard she screamed. Luckily, Hyunrin didn’t lock the door and Doojoon walked in to her apartment in hurry. He found Hyunrin crying in the corner of her bedroom, closing her ears with her hands and shut her eyes tightly.

Doojoon grabbed Hyunrin’s shoulder and shook it gently. “Hyunrin, it’s me, Doojoon. Calm down. I’m here.”

Hyunrin opened her eyes and she burst into tears. Doojoon hugged her tightly and she was crying in his arms. “Don’t worry, I’m here.” Doojoon patted Hyunrin’s back.

“I’m scared, oppa. I’m scared of thunder. Don’t leave me.” Hyunrin’s voice vibrated because of fear.

“I know. I know.” He kissed the top of Hyunrin’s head and tightened his embrace. “You have me here.”

For a few minutes they were still in that position, hugging each other. Not long after that, Doojoon felt Hyunrin fell asleep already in his embrace. He lifted Hyunrin up and laid her down in her fluffy bed. When he was about to walk out, Hyunrin grabbed his wrist. “Don’t go, oppa. I’m still scared. Sleep here.”

“Hyunrin, I can’t do that.”

“Please.” Hyunrin begged with a sorrowful voice and her puppy eyes.

“Fine.” Doojoon climbed up on her bed and sat beside her. He was starring at Hyunrin’s sleeping face when her phone rang. Looking at the number, Doojoon decided to pick it up. It was Wooyoung. “It’s me, Doojoon. Hyunrin is sleeping now… Yes… Yeah, don’t worry… No… Hmmm, let’s meet up tomorrow.” Doojoon hung the phone and looked at Hyunrin. He kissed her forehead softly. “I’m leaving.” Doojoon closed Hyunrin’s apartment door and found Hyunseung standing in front of Beast’s apartment door. Doojoon said in a hushed voice. “You knew it.”

“I’m your friend.”

“How could you remember her? Three years passed already.” Doojoon sighed, looking at the ceiling.

“I saw the scar in her neck. Then I just remembered about her. I was shocked when she came to our apartment, but I guess the others didn’t know anything about her.”

“Please just keep it as secret.”

Hyunseung looked at Doojoon who was covering his face with his hands. He knew how much his leader tried to forget about her, his nightmare for this past three years. He couldn’t do anything to help him with this problem. But one thing he knew, Doojoon was falling for that girl again.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Oppa! Hurry up! We’re gonna be late!” Hyunrin yelled at Dongwoon who was enjoying his walk like nothing happened.

“We’re late already.”

Hyunrin stopped her step, looking at Dongwoon with a confuse gaze. “Look how easy you said that words.”

“What else we can do? It’s Mr. Lee’s turn to teach our music class, and you know he'd never allowed his students come in if they were late, even though a minute.”

Hyunrin blinked and leant her body against the wall. “So what should we do now?”

“How about go to the dance studio? Tomorrow Beast will be a guest star in some high school event, so I feel like practicing the dance now since we’re late to attend Mr. Lee’s class. How it sounds?”

“Great. Let’s go! Where is it?”

“Upstairs.” Dongwoon grabbed Hyunrin’s hand and they walked to the dance studio holding hands.

Hyunrin’s eyes widened as she saw someone was dancing in the dance studio. That guy was so awesome. Hyunrin couldn’t take her eyes off of him. When that guy turned back, Hyunrin felt her heart beating faster. He was Doojoon.

“Hyung!” Dongwoon ran towards Doojoon, Hyunrin followed.

“Are you skipping class again, hyung? Hahaha… Is it Mrs. Han’s turn to teach your class?” Dongwoon hit his hyung’s arm softly, and as always Doojoon laughed a bit.

“I’m going first, I have an appointment with someone.” Doojoon walked away but his step stopped when Hyunrin grabbed his wrist. “Thanks for last night, oppa.”

Doojoon continued his walk without saying anything to Hyunrin.

“Hyunrin-ah, what are you doing there?” Hyunrin heard Dongwoon called her. She turned back and smiled. “Ah? Uh, nothing. Come on, I wanna see you dance!”

Hyunrin sat in front of the big mirror and starring at Dongwoon. Every move he did, every step he made, it made Hyunrin’s heart beating like crazy. Dongwoon was so adorable, no doubt.

“How was it?” Dongwoon was lying down on the floor and panting.

“P.E.R.F.E.C.T. Two thumbs up, oppa.”

“Thanks, Hyunrin.” he hugged her and she laughed.

“How dare you to hug me when you’re sweating like this. You smell!” Hyunrin couldn’t hold her laughter.

“Hey, it’s just because you aren’t our fans. If you’re one of our beauties, I swear you would beg me to hug you longer.” Dongwoon smirked and messed Hyunrin’s hair.

“Well, I’m happy that I’m not a part of them. But I’m proud being your friend.” Hyunrin stuck her tongue out.

In his deepest heart, Dongwoon said. “I want you to be more than my friend.”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“So, how it goes?”

Doojoon looked at Wooyoung who sat in front of him with his serious expression. His question was as sharp as a knife in his heart.

“Why did you send her back to my life?”

Wooyoung chuckled. “Hyung, I knew how much you love her. I knew how much you’ve tried to forget her but you failed. I knew how crazy you were when you heard about her car accident.”

“And I’m sure you know how impossible I to stand by her side whenever she needed me.” Doojoon lowered his head, he couldn’t show anyone about his feeling right now. “I’m a bad boy. I can’t be her guardian angel. I can’t be someone who will always protect her from anything bad. I’m such a jerk.” Doojoon took a deep breath. “Work, work, and work. That was what fulfilled my mind. No space to think about a girl.”

Wooyoung smirked, giving a mysterious look to Doojoon. “You knew she lost her memory, right? She forgot how you were in the past. The last memory she has is when she was 13 years old, in a car with our parents, singing happily all the way to our grandma’s house. That’s all, hyung.”

“But she’s still afraid of thunder. How could it be?”

“Oh dude~ Let me explain this to you, hyung. Hyunrin and you were close since her childhood, no doubt. When Hyunrin was 15 years old, you said to me that you absolutely was falling in love with my sister. But you also said that you couldn't be her boyfriend because you weren't ready for a relationship, you were afraid that you would be a bad boyfriend for her. Then you joined with Cube Entertainment and debuted as a member of Beast.” Wooyoung sipped his coffee and continued his words. "When Hyunrin was 16, she got into some car accident in Australia which made her lost her memory. Doctor said she would lost her memory for the last three years. So, it means that the lattest memory she remembered is when she was 13 years old. But lately I found something weird, she couldn't even remember anything about you though you used to be her bestfriend since her childhood. I knew how close you both in the past, and I'm sick seeing she forgot about you."

Doojoon looked away, tried to fix his feeling. "Then? What am I supposed to do?"

Wooyoung smirked. "I give you three months to bring her memory of you back. In this case, I’m on your side. If you can’t make it, then you have to say goodbye to her. Forever. Remember, this is your last chance, hyung.”