Bonding 2/2

Say 'I love you' It's Simple!
While the cake was baking in the oven, Heejoon searched the mansion for Kris. He had left right after the malfunction he had with chopping the chocolate pieces and mixing the batter. She ascended the curve of stairs, and walked to Kris’s room. She rapped on his door lightly, calling his name but no answer came. She repeated the process several more time until she figured it was useless.
 
She turned her back on his room and planned to head back down again but cluttered noises echoed from Kris’s room. She returned to his door, and instead of knocking, her fingers curled around the iron knob. She was shocked when the door clicked open by itself. The door groaned as she pushed the door open. “Kris?” She whispered in the dark.
 
She felt the wall for a switch and when she felt the familiar plastic piece, she flicked it on. The lights in his room flickered on, illuminating the rest of his room. 
 
Heejoon quickly muffled her scream with her hands. Her eyes were wide with shock and her figure trembled at the sight. 
 
Every inch of Kris’s room was covered in images. Images of people on EXO-M’s death list. Many had red crosses drawn over them, while the few others hadn’t. There were so many pictures; there was barely any space of his wallpaper visible on the wall. 
 
“You shouldn’t have come in here.” His voice rung in the air, taunting and threatening.
 
Heejoon heard his door slam shut and a rush of shudders racked her body. She didn’t have a good feeling about this.
 
“Kris?” She called his name.
 
As Heejoon turned around, she found him pressed against the door with one leg up and his arms crossed over his chest. His dark hair fell sharply over his charismatic eyes, and at that moment, Kris looked scary. 
 
“Did you want to come back down to finish the cake?” Heejoon asked.
 
Kris just snorted. “Screw your cake.”
 
“Kris, are you okay?” She asked. She began to approach him but Kris recoiled away from the wall and glared at her, hard and unyielding. “What game are you trying to play at?” He asked in his usual low, alluring voice. It was sometimes hard to concentrate when he talked because his voice was always so calming and somewhat seductive in her ears. 
 
“What game?” Heejoon furrowed her brows. 
 
“Don’t lie to me!” Kris punched the door behind him. “If you were smart enough, you would know that you don’t mess with gang members, especially this gang.”
 
Heejoon was genuinely confused by Kris’s words. All she could see was a furious mortal, struggling to keep his anger contained. It didn’t soothe her at all seeing the vein in his neck bulge with each passing second.
 
“Don’t act stupid. The water fight, the cooking, what the hell are you trying to do?” He demanded. “This place isn’t somewhere where you can pull off such childish activities. This place holds gangsters for goodness sakes. People who kill. What are you trying to pull off here?”
 
Kris was not only furious but also frustrated by Heejoon’s ways. She’d never seen him utter so much either. He was usually composed and collected, but today was different from his typical nature. “Don’t you get it? You are softening my members. They don’t need that. What if one day they struggle to kill? What will happen then?”
 
Heejoon winced hearing his volume raise. “Kris.” She sighed.
 
“Dammit. The point is, stop trying to be friendly. We don’t need it. We were structured this way, and we will all stay this way. It’s easier for us all and for when we execute or missions. No emotion, no trouble.” He explained, vexed. “And you see all this?” He gestured to the images arranged neatly against his walls, “These are all people this gang had killed or will kill in the future. Doesn’t that make you afraid?”
 
Heejoon’s eyes roamed over the numerous black and white pictures taped on his walls. Their grim faces flashing at her so lifelessly and dull. “Don’t you remember what I told you?”
 
Kris raised one of his thick brows. “And what was that?”
 
Heejoon’s gaze strayed from the images and rested on Kris’s charcoal eyes. “I told you that I wasn’t afraid of you, which includes your gang and the things you do.”
 
Something warm fluttered in Kris’s stomach. He wasn’t used to many people confessing that they didn’t fear him because in truth, many people were intimidated by his presence alone. People became more afraid of him after knowing his capabilities- which include his blood parents. 
 
“You’re lying.” Kris refused to believe her. 
 
“How can I make you believe me?” She asked. She really wanted Kris to know that she did not have a single shed of fear pulsing in her body. 
 
Kris watched her closely, his expression stern. A smirk lingered on his lips, and Heejoon swallowed the lump forming in . “If what you’re saying is true, then you won’t have an issue kissing me.”
 
Heejoon’s eyes widened while Kris’s smirk broadened. *She’ll never do it.* He smugly thought. 
 
Heejoon’s body froze cold. There was only one person whom she wanted to kiss, and it wasn’t Kris. Her lips were only reserved for one person and she so promised it to herself that her first kiss wouldn’t be placed on anyone else but Kai. If she were to kiss Kris, she would’ve betrayed her promise.
 
“I knew it.” Kris had a fiery look in his orbs. “Everyone fears me.”
 
“You’re wrong!” Heejoon retorted. 
 
Kris just stared at her. 
 
Heejoon stormed over to him and pulled him into a breath-taking embrace. Her fingers weaved through his strangely, silk-like hair that perfectly wrapped around her fingers like dark, ominous tendrils. She heard Kris inhale sharply. “Like I said, I’m not afraid of you.” She whispered, his back with gentle sweeps of her fingertips. 
 
Unlike most people, Kris’s body wasn’t soft or comforting but he was incredibly warm.
“I’m not the only one. Your friends also aren’t scared of you Kris. They look up to you because you’re a worthy leader.”
 
For a while Heejoon continued to embrace Kris. She was surprised that he didn’t pull back once, only relaxing in her hug and placing his chin over her shoulder as he breathed steadily. It was a few times where he caught Kris lifting his arms in an attempt to return the hug, but with a soft, annoyed sigh, he would leave his arms hanging at his sides uselessly and his fists clenched tight. 
 
No one had ever embraced him like this before. Usually it would’ve been a firm handshake or a pat on the back. Heck, not even his parents hugged him. Only Meixiu had, but seeing as this wasn’t his young sister hugging him, he actually felt ‘happy’ though expression said otherwise. Since it was an entirely new experience for Kris, he thought that was probably why he felt so warm and fuzzy inside or why his heart palpated frantically in his chest. 
 
Slowly, Heejoon eased away from Kris. Her eyes studied his intently, and Kris did the same. She leaned in towards him until their noses almost touched and she moved his fringe away from his eyes. Each time her fingers brushed over his forehead, tingles spread his body. 
 
“See?” She whispered, mustering a smile. “Why would I fear someone who looks this kind?”
 
Kris gulped. His eyes couldn’t leave hers and it frightened him that he didn’t want to avert his eyes either. He actually liked gazing at her, though he was perplexed of his reasoning. 
 
The sound of tyres skidding to a halt in the drive-way caught their attention. Heejoon parted the curtains and saw Luhan, Lay, Chen, Xiumin and Tao exit the black van with their weaponry. She caught sight of blood on one of Xiumin’s daggers, and her heart clenched at the sight. *They killed again.*
 
“Let’s head down.” Kris called her.
 
Heejoon absently nodded. “Okay.”
 
-=-=--=-=-=--=--=-
 
A/N:
 
Thank you for commenting, subscribing, upvoting and reading!