Don't Run Away From The Truth

You Are Now an ISAgifted Student. Welcome.

"Onew hyung..." Key began. 

"Neh Key?" Onew asked. 

"Jjong and I have to go to his appointment soon. Are you coming too?" Key asked. 

"Yes. I need to be there." Onew said seriously.

"Hyung, if you're too tired..." Key began. 

"No Key. Jonghyun needs both of us. A few days ago, that was just another breakdown. Nothing I can't handle." Onew explained. Key's heart clenched at the thought that Onew had had breakdowns like that before, and didn't have family members, other than Jonghyun and Hyoyeon and her family to support him. 

"When is Jonghyun going to tell Taemin and Minho?" Key asked quietly. 

"When he's ready." Onew said, hugging Key. "How is Minho?" Onew then asked. 

"He's okay. He said the ceremony was beautiful and apparently he's meeting Victoria today to talk." Key said. 

"That's good." Onew said, knowing about the death of Minho's brother, but not knowing how much emotional baggage he carried, along with Sulli and Victoria. "I have to email my teacher telling him why I can't be there and I'll go get ready." Onew said, squeezing Key's shoulder. 

Key then heard a noise, more of a crash, coming from his and Minho's room. Key ran to the room to find things all over the floor. Normally, he would be upset at Minho, but Key refrained from yelling when he saw tears staining Minho's cheeks. 

"Minho! What's going on?" Key asked concernedly. 

Jonghyun then came out from under Key's bed, surprising Key. 

"Minho lost his bracelet. It's important to him. I'm helping him find it." An exhausted looking Jonghyun said, not knowing the story behind its importance. 

"Jjong...we have to go soon. You should get your stuff together. I'll help Minho and then we have to leave." Key said, a bit of warning in his voice, not wanting to be late for the appointment. "Minho, we can help you when you get home from visiting with Victoria ok?" Key asked. Minho looked down. Jonghyun looked back and forth between Key and Minho wondering what was going on. 

"What appointment do you have to go to?" Minho asked, just wanting to be in the loop. 

"Um..." Key began. 

"I wasn't feeling well the other day and Key and Onew might have caught it. We're going for a quick check up." Jonghyun quickly lied. 

Key didn't say anything. Minho knew Jonghyun was lying, but he didn't want to push the issue. He hoped they were okay and wondered why all three of them were actually going. 

"Is Taemin out with Sulli?" Key asked the angry and betrayed looking Minho. 

"He's in class right now and then is hanging out with her." Minho snapped. "I have to go meet Victoria noona. Bye." Minho said as he stormed out of the room. 

"Oh god, Key." Jonghyun began to sob. "I like him. I like Minho so much but I can't tell him this." 

"Hyung, you'll need to tell Taemin and Minho soon, but not now." Key said in his sweetest voice, hugging Jonghyun. "We're all here for you and in time, Minho will tell you what is going on with him." Key added. 

"Why do you seem to know everything?" Jonghyun asked, chuckling a little bit. 

"I'm the umma. I know everything that goes on around here." Key said. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Minho walked to the park to get fresh air. He wasn't meeting Victoria until three hours from now. Minho kept rubbing his wrist, hoping that somehow his bracelet would appear. He felt himself about to cry again so he called Sulli. 

"Neh?" Sulli asked. Minho could hear Taemin in the background asking who it was. 

"It's me." Minho said. 

"Minho oppa? How are you feeling?" Sulli inquired. 

"Um. Not too well." Minho admitted. 

"Is something wrong?" Sulli asked, concerned for her cousin. 

"A couple things." Minho said. "I can't find my bracelet." Minho said, his voice cracking in despair. 

"Oppa, don't worry. I was meaning to call you, but you haven't picked up your phone. I found yours in the car. The clasp broke so I'm having it replaced. Your mum and dad are paying for it so don't worry about the cost. Can I give it to you tomorrow? Will you be okay until then?" Sulli asked. 

Minho sighed in relief. Sulli was an angel. 

"Thank you so much." Minho said, trying his best not to cry. 

"Oppa, don't cry." Sulli said, trying to comfort her cousin. 

"Minho is crying? Hyung are you alright?" Minho could hear Taemin ask. 

"Oppa was there something else?" Sulli asked. 

"I'm meetic Victoria noona today." Minho said. 

"Minho oppa, you are going to talk it out and you everything will be okay. Victoria is there for you." Sulli reassured Minho.

"Alright. Thank you Sulli." Minho sincerely said. 

"Neh. No problem. If you need anything, just call. I'll deliver your bracelet tomorrow morning before class. Love you!" Sulli said sweetly. 

"Neh. You too. Bye Sulli." Minho said and hung up. 

Three hours passed and Minho was thinking about Jonghyun the whole time. Why was Jonghyun so tired and sad? Was he sick? Was there something wrong? Why did Key and Onew know? Why did Jonghyun lie to him? Minho thought and thought and thought and three hours passed very quickly. Minho could feel himself dozing off when he saw a shadow looming over him. It was Victoria.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Are these friends of yours?" The doctor asked a very nervous looking Jonghyun, who was seated between Key and Onew. 

"Neh." Jonghyun said quietly, trying his best to look the doctor in the eye. 

"What are their names?" The doctor asked. 

"This is Kim Kibum and this is Lee Jinki. They are my close friends and are also my flat mates at college." Jonghyun said quietly. 

"It's nice to meet you two. How is ISA going for everyone?" The doctor asked. 

"Very well. We are all busy. Kibum is an amazing artist and designer. Jinki hyung is a master sound editor and lyricist." Jonghyun said, bragging about his friends, making Key and Onew blush. 

"And you, Jonghyun?" The doctor asked.

"He is a fantastic vocalist and performer. He can also make a mean pistachio cake." Key bragged about Jonghyun, making him smile a little bit. 

"I've had that cake. It's delicious." Onew added, making Jonghyun smile a little more.

The doctor nodded, very glad that Jonghyun had such supportive friends. The doctor asked more questions, examined Jonghyun, showed him computerized images of the colony and showed him what it would look like after treatment. Yes, the ever growing colony was malignant, but Jonghyun was strong and he had too many lucky stars to count at this point.

They talked about a diet plan, hair loss, things to keep him grounded, and talked about support. Key also inquired how Jonghyun should go about telling his other loved ones (i.e. Minho and Taemin) and they talked about that as well. The doctor then left to allow Jonghyun to contact his parents. A tearful conversation ensued, and Onew and Key had trouble keeping it together as well. Jonghyun's parents were arriving in the morning to get all their son's information and to talk with Onew, who was someone his parents greatly trusted.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"How are classes?" Victoria asked, sitting across from Minho in a nearly empty cafe.

"Good." Minho replied. The silence was suffocating. There were so many things to bring out.

"Which ones are you taking?" Victoria asked.

"Photo, dance, athletics, rap, vocal, the usual I guess." Minho said, avoiding eye contact with Victoria.  

"No fashion design for you? Key likes it." Victoria commented, trying to cut through the atmosphere, thick with awkwardness and obvious resentment from Minho. 

Minho didn't answer. Victoria needed to say what she had to say. 

"What happened, Minho, I am so, so incredibly sorry. The pain I went through overshadowed the pain I knew you and Sulli and your family were and are going through, in my mind. I was selfish, I never asked if you were okay. I never brought over dinner, or hugged you while you cried. I never watched movies with you and Sulli when you all couldn't sleep. I only came to pay my respects and to cry with your parents because I lost my beloved boyfriend. I never once came to comfort you. I shouldn't have left the way I did before, and I shouldn't have run away after. I thought I couldn't face seeing you, because I thought you are so much like him. But that is not an excuse. I consider you apart of my family and I treated you like a stranger. I am forever sorry and I can't even imagine what..." Victoria was interrupted by Minho getting up and leaving the cafe. 

Victoria got up really quickly, spilling scalding hot coffee and burning her hand. It wasn't nearly as painful as the burning sensation in her eyes from the hot salty tears running down her face or the pain in her heart watching who she once thought would be her brother-in-law get up and leave out of anger. He was completely and utterly correct in being angry, but she wanted Minho to know how sorry she was. She wanted to be there for who she considered her little brother. 

"Minho!" Victoria cried after him. 

"Don't!" Minho yelled back, without looking back. He kept walking. 

"I wear my bracelet everyday." Victoria panted as she caught up to him. "I wear it everyday. I miss Minseok everyday. I miss you and Sulli everyday. I was so happy when I found out you two were coming to school. I thought it would be a chance for me to be the big sister that I once was. I thought it would be a chance for me to ask forgiveness and be there for you two. My best memories were when Minseok and I would come home from dinner and you would be there on the couch, about being bored and hungry. Minseok would pull out games and I would make you ramen and we would eat and watch TV and play games until we were all tired and falling asleep. I remember when Sulli would come and visit and while Minseok was doing homework, I would take you two shopping and you would complain about going into all the girl stores, but your desire for fried hot dogs and ice cream would overpower your boredom and you would put up with us. I remember meeting you for the first time after your football game, and Minseok just bragged about you the whole time. I remember eating with your family, I remember when your family sent care packages to mine after I moved away. I remember all of this and I want to once again be like your older sister. I ran away and that made everything worse, please don't run away from me." Victoria said. 

Minho could not formulate words. Victoria had remembered all of those fun times they had. She had addressed everything he was angry about and she always wore the bracelet. 

"I...I forgive you. Thank you. I won't run away." Minho said as he walked into his "sister's" arms. He was enveloped in a comforting, warm, hug. Minho felt like he had closure now. Minho wanted those times back. Minho also felt Minseok's presence as he heard Victoria's bracelet clinking against the buttons of her coat.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Minho got home, slightly smiling, but his eyes were still puffy from all the crying. It was quite late. Almost midnight. Key and Onew were sleeping on the couch, still dressed in their day clothes, shoes and all. Key was leaning against Onew. Minho thought they looked really cute. 

Minho was on the way to his room when Jonghyun and Taemin's doorknob began to jiggle. The door opened to reveal Jonghyun, eyes wet and dark circles very prevelant. 

"Hyung!" Minho said in surprise. 

"You've been crying." Jonghyun said as he walked closer to Minho, brushing some of his longer fringe out of his eyes, causing Minho to blush. 

"You too." Minho said. 

"You met with Victoria?" Jonghyun asked, not wanting to address the reason he was crying. 

"Neh." Minho replied, not able to say more. 

"And your bracelet?" Jonghyun asked. 

"I left it in the car when I went to the gravesite ceremony. Sulli is giving it back to me tomorrow." Minho said, but then he covered his mouth with his hand, realizing what he just said. 

"Gravesite?" Jonghyun asked, looking into Minho's eyes, searching for an answer. 

"M...my brother's." Minho replied.

"Omo..." Jonghyun said, enveloping Minho into a warm hug, his heart beating very fast. "I am so sorry..." He continued. 

"The bracelet is to remember him. Sulli and Victoria noona have them too. I should have told you, but it's hard." Minho explained with difficulty. 

"I should have told you." Jonghyun whispered against Minho's shoulder. 

"Hyung?" Minho asked. 

"Minho, can I tell you something, something that you absolutely cannot tell Taemin yet? Onew hyung and Key already know and I should have told you. I should have told you first because I lo..." Jonghyun began. 

"What can't you tell Taemin yet?" Taemin asked angrily. Taemin had got up to get water and overheard the conversation. 

"Come on." Jonghyun said as he headed back into his and Taemin's room, Taemin and Minho following behind, wondering what their hyung had to tell them. 

 

The truth is a discovery, a mystery at first. 

It can be more hurtful than a lie, absolutely the worst. 

But what happens, happens, it will come to pass. 

Acceptance and love can mend a broken past. 

 

A/N: I am back! My writers block is over and the events that have recently happened to me have inspired my ideas. I love my readers so much and thank you for waiting while I took this break. I hope if any of you also read Please Let it Be With Me, that you have been enjoying it. This chapter is very emotional for me and it means a whole lot. I hope I conveyed the emotions well. I tried my best. <33