Indulgence Is Not a Sin

You Are Now an ISAgifted Student. Welcome.

 

Key hadn’t been sleeping much since he found out about Jonghyun on monday, in addition to what he discovered about Minho. It worried him that his friends had troubling times much like or more serious than his own. He of course loved everything about ISA and wanted to have the best time possible, but Key knew in the back of his mind things would get more real as the year went on. Whatever real meant, it would get that way. 

 

Key woke up due to an argument that was going on in the living room. “Were Tae and Jonghyun fighting again?” Key thought annoyed as he trudged out of his and Minho’s room. Minho and Onew went for athletics class. It was friday so Key didn’t have class right away, but he and Taemin had vocal class soon and after that he and Minho would be meeting up for rapping and vocal percussion class. Key was also nervous because for his and Jonghyun’s cooking class, a new teacher showed up every time so there wasn’t much of a lesson plan and honest to god, it could be anyone. The last cooking class, Jonghyun got a kick out of Key feeling uncomfortable and disturbed by none other than Jessica teaching the class how to make napoleons. 

 

Key got dressed and stormed out of the room to find Taemin yelling at Jonghyun. 

 

“Taemin! You need to eat before dance class! You have two dance classes today! C’mon don’t fight me on this!” Jonghyun said, pleading. 

“Hyung! God! You do this all the time I do not need to eat now! I’ll get sick! I eat at break ok?” Taemin snapped back. 

 

“God. Taemin is such a bad liar. Jonghyun don’t give in pabo. Make the boy eat. He’s even skinnier. He acts like I don’t notice him giving his food to Onew or throwing it away!” Key screamed in his head, not wanting to interrupt to make Taemin more angry, but also wanting Jonghyun to make Taemin eat. 

 

“Fine Tae, just make sure you eat at break, neh? Don’t want you passing out now!” Jonghyun said cheerfully. 

“You two fight too much. Like an old married couple. Jonghyun, fight with Minho but not my baby Tae.” Key cooed at Taemin startling both boys, making Taemin perform a fake vomiting episode. 

“Key hyung I’m not a baby! We’re in the same grade!” Taemin defended himself. Jonghyun laughed wearily. 

“Okay Taemin go get dressed, I need to go buy more food before vocal class so I’ll walk you to dance and go from there. Then I’ll come get you to go to class.” Key said shooing Taemin out of the room. 

 

Key then turned to a very tired looking Jonghyun. “Okay?” Key asked. 

“You know me...” Jonghyun replied not looking at Key. 

“Hyung...please look at me.” Key coaxed. 

 

Jonghyun didn’t have the energy and sort of just walked out of the room, not having a class just yet. Normally, Key would yell at anyone else for just walking away, but he knew that with Jonghyun, he had to be understanding and supportive and loving no matter what. Key would do anything for any of his flat mates even though he didn’t always show it. 

 

Key walked past Taemin and Jonghyun’s room to make sure Jonghyun was okay before he had to leave but instead heard something coming from the room. 

 

“! 2? Really?! 2? Oh god.” It wasn’t Jonghyun so it had to be Taemin. Key opened the door wondering what all the commotion was. When Key walked into the room without knocking, he stumbled over a glass floor scale. He assumed the scale was Jonghyun’s because of his health and also because he was sort of a health nut in regards to staying in shape. He found Taemin sitting on his bed, tears streaming while writing angrily in a college-ruled notebook. 

 

“Taemin ah. What are you...” 

“GO AWAY HYUNG!” Taemin screamed, shocking Key. Key knew it. Something was up with Taemin and he needed to know what it was. 

 

“I just wanted to see if you were okay. What ever is weighing you down, I want to share that burden with you, so please you can tell m...” 

“Is that some kind of sick joke, Key?” Taemin snapped through gritted teeth. 

“What...” Key had no words. 

“Weighing me down? WEIGHING ME DOWN?!” Taemin screamed again. Key had no idea what to do. 

 

“Taemin...”

“I am weighed down.” Taemin whispered, barely audible. “In fact, I have never felt heavier. 2 kg! Thats how much I’ve gained and no matter how little I eat or anything I will just gain more! So thanks hyung! Thanks for just piling on more of the guilt! Do you have more to say? Are my wrists wider, my pants too tight? Is my face too chubby? Does my stomach look swollen or flabby? Oh what about my arms? Too thick? Are my shirts clinging more and more to me everyday because I am just growing wider and wider? Are you going to tell me that the scale will break tomorrow when I go to check the number? Will you look at me in disgust because I am not a stick like I was as a child? Hm hyung? Are you going to keep staring at me like that?!” 

 

Taemin was seething. At the boiling point. Words of detrimental self loathing pouring out of his mouth. Key was horrified. There was this beautiful and perhaps too skinny boy standing in front of him loathing himself for being too large. Key connected the dots. The not eating. The scale. The notebook. 

 

“Taemin ah.” Key began as he approached Taemin. Key embraced the boy, although Taemin was struggling to get out of his grasp. Taemin began thrashing mumbling and sobbing words like, “don’t touch me.” and “I don’t deserve to be held like this.” 

 

“Tell me what is going on with you. I’m not letting go until you do.” Key demanded, meaning well. 

“I’m hideous Key. My mother herself said so.” Taemin sobbed. 

 

“Why would she say an evil thing like that?! You’re beautiful and absolutely perfectly proportioned. In fact you’re a bit too thin, baby.” Key said, heart breaking in two. 

 

“My mom...she came to visit a few days ago since I didn’t get to see her all summer before her business trip...it was a quick in and out visit...she always put me on strict diets and made me do extra dance classes when I was a kid. She took one look at me and verbally abused me for gaining “freshman weight”, that I was indulging too much. She treats it like I sinned, Key. She said I looked heavy, out of shape, and I wouldn’t be a professional dancer if I even was a gram too heavy. I have heard this so many times, I can’t not believe it, Key. My mom said she would never lie to me.” 

 

“Tae...baby...I’m so sorry. You can’t believe her any longer because none of that is true. None of it. I would never lie to you.” Key said, tightening his hold on Taemin. 

 

 

“You have been uh...” Key began nervously. 

“Starving myself? Throwing up what I did eat? Yeah. But there’s nothing else I can do.” 

 

“Taemin...You are only hurting yourself. You are still growing and you’re constantly active. I know it would be unfair and maybe even sickening if I forced you to eat food, but will you work with me a little? I only want to make you happy.” Key added, wanting to cry for Taemin, but trying to stay strong. 

 

Taemin nodded and Key’s heart filled with relief. Why had Key not seen these things before in Taemin, or any of his flat mates? He usually is so observant. Key, like always, continued to mentally punish himself. 

 

“Have you told anyone else about this, Tae? Jonghyun? Does he know? You are roommates.” Key said. 

 

Taemin shook his head. “Ani. I hide the scale. Jonghyun seems to be off in his own world right now. I couldn’t tell him. He already worries about everything else I do...but...” Taemin trailed off feeling very guilty. 

“What is it Tae? Have you told anyone else? Besides me?”

“Minho hyung...” Taemin whispered. 

“WHAT?! You told Minho?! And he didn’t....” Key was furious. His best friend kept such a secret from him. 

“Hyung! I told him to not tell anyone! He heard me throw up once and thought I was sick and he got me to tell him! Don’t be mad at him! He’s very helpful and supportive!” 

 

Key relaxed, not angry anymore at Minho. The boys kept talking, Taemin kept explaining his situation. Key kept blaming himself.  

 

Little did the two know that Onew and Minho were back and Onew had overheard. 

 

“Minho ah.” Onew began as he turned to the younger who was sitting on the couch with an icepack on his face, trying to cool off from athletics. 

“Why did you keep such a secret from me? From Key? Taemin could have been seriously...” Onew began, frustration revealing itself more and more with every word. 

“I’m sorry...I’m sorry hyung...” Minho replied quietly feeling terrible for keeping Taemin's secret from Onew as well as his own, from the caring leader who just wanted to help. 

 
 
Indulgence is not a sin 
So stop hating what is out and within 
Those who say you are less than perfection 
Don't deserve your trust or connection 
Stop believing all of the hateful lies 
And love yourself without sobs or cries 
Because you are perfect no matter what 
And there are always people who cherish you a lot 
 
A/N: Thanks so much for reading! Sorry for the wait but I hope you enjoy! Love you guys :D