Counting His Lucky Stars

You Are Now an ISAgifted Student. Welcome.

Everything was all right. Hyun Joong was nowhere to be found and Key was happy. There was not tons of awkwardness with Onew either anymore. They were becoming good friends and if that meant less awkwardness, Key wanted to keep their relationship (romantically, he hoped) to develop slowly. Key was even closer to Minho, who now he was sure was his best friend. Taemin was also good company and had Key smiling a lot when he wasn't spending time with Sulli. (They were not a couple but hell they sure acted like one.) 

 

Something was bothering Key though. The flat was quieter even though Onew, Taemin, and himself were all quite noisy. There was a serious lack of Jonghyun pep in the flat. The boy had been lately spending more time in the recording studio, and would usually come home tired and sometimes even puffy-eyed late at night. 

 

Flashback 

"Jjong hyung! Long time no see!" Key excitedly said as Jonghyun walked into the flat at 1 am. Key missed his first friend made at ISA. They hadn't been bickering much lately and Jonghyun didn't seem right. 

"Key ah...don't wake 2min or hyung up...they're tired. I'm gonna go to sleep now, neh?" Jonghyun said wearily and quietly. 

There was no witty comback? No funny remark about Key's pajama choice? No asking how his day went? No complaining about how Key didn't get the right kind of apples Jonghyun wanted from the supermarket? All the things Jonghyun usually did, he didn't do. 

"Jjong hyung...are you okay? You can talk to me...or Minho...or Onew hyung..." Key uttered, reassuring Jonghyun. 

"Neh Key I'm fine. Just feeling a little out of it. 1st trimester is always exhausting. Remember to get some good sleep, okay?" Jonghyun replied sweetly, evident saddness in his voice. 

This happened quite a few times and by the end of the first trimester of school...Key was dying to know what was up...but unlike Minho, Key didn't know how to handle a guy like Jonghyun. So smiley and hyper....was it all just a mask? 

End of flashback

 

The next day, Key had his advanced drawing class. As he was walking to the basement floor door that lead to a staircase leading to the library which lead to the studio hallway, (which actually saved about five minutes of walking) Key spotted Jonghyun who was holding a thick manila folder and was walking quickly, sort of like a robot, not worrying about who he crashed into. This concerned Key greatly, and beimg the involved mother he was, he wanted to know more about Jonghyun and what was up. Key followed Jonghyun for a while when he realized he was heading in the direction of the doctor's office. Not the normal nurse's office, but the doctor's office for serious injuries or sicknesses. Lots of medical information had to be given. Key felt sick to his stomach. What if something was wrong with Jonghyun? Or maybe he has a friend interning in the office...but what was in the folder he was carrying? 

Key texted Lee Hi, who had given him her number in case of emergencies, that he couldn't attend class. After receiving a cute emoji and a message reading, "arasso...take care of yourself! AND TELL MINHO TO PICK UP HIS PRINTS ALREADY THEY HAVE BEEN HERE FOR A MONTH D:" Key swallowed and went onward and reached the doctor's office door that lead to the waiting room. Jonghyun began to look around getting a funny feeling somone was following him, so Key ducked out of the way hiding behind a tall green plant.

Key watched as Jonghyun entered the waiting room of the office. The doors, like most of the school's buildings were all glass. Key watched as Jonghyun sat fiddling with the folder in his hands with a completely blank expression. Key could then hear Jonghyun being called back to the office. 

"Jjong ah. It's your turn. How are you feeling my dear?" Asked a pretty girl with sandy hair who appeared to be an assistant nurse. She addressed Jonghyun in such a casual and familiar way. Had Jonghyun been here before? This only added to the worry Key felt. 

Jonghyun mechanically stood up and hugged the girl. Obviously Jonghyun had been here many many times before. 

There was nothing but silence for the next forty minutes. Key didn't know why he was letting himself just sit there. If something was going on, Jonghyun had the right to his own space. Key should be supporting him at a distance, maybe. Making his hyung laugh and stuff...not evesdropping on an important appointment. 

Key still crouching by the large plant, back hurting, was startled by a door slamming and a shadow looming over him. Key looked up and his eyes met the tear stained, angry face of Jonghyun. Key had never seen Jonghyun legitimately angry. Only annoyed or irritated. Never angry. 

"Kibum!" Jonghyun hissed, using his real name which frightened Key. 

"H..hyung...I...I" Key stumbled, lost for words. 

"What the hell are you doing here? Why have you come? I don't think you have an issue. Did you follow me?" 

Key felt terrible and wanted to cry. 

"I was concerned! Damn it Jonghyun! You don't tell anyone a damn thing and I saw you walking and you looked terrible so I followed you and then I saw that you were going to the doctor's! You come home late and stay in your room, and your sad and crying a lot...and...and I was just seeing how you were! I thought we were friends Jjong!" Key cried out. 

Jonghyun was taken aback. Was Key crying for him? Was Key really truly caring about him? Jonghyun relaxed and pulled the taller boy into a tight hug, tears slipping from his eyes as well. 

"I'm sorry Key. I'm sorry I haven't been around and I'm sorry I haven't been myself..." Jonghyun sputtered against Key's shoulder. 

Key Jonghyun's hair and rubbed calming circles on his back. "Hyung...you can tell me...please...I want to know..." Key whispered. 

"Key but you can't freak out okay?" 

Key hoped that Jonghyun's story wasn't as sad as Minho's, but boy was he wrong. 

"I uh...last year...right before freshman year...they discovered something was wrong with my thyroid and over the summer...I...uh..it turns out to be a rare colony that can metasticize in my lungs, malignant...." Jonghyun chocked. "My parents are moving closer to the school...I'll still be able to stay at the flat....but I am going to be treated at the hospital...I'm gonna lose my hair..." He faltered. 

Key felt his heart break. "Jjong....I....if you ever need to talk with me, please do it. Does hyung know? Is that why you have been crying so much lately?" 

Jonghyun breathed in. "Y..yeah. He doesn't know about the treatment starting though. I was going to tell him soon...also...don't tell Minho or Tae. I'll tell them eventually. I've been crying because my parents are so worried and can't sleep at night. I'm scaring them." 

Key's religious self kicked in at that moment remembering that the belief that God has saving power helped Key through tough times.

"Jjong hyung...your parents love you. They will do anything for you. Also...have faith. He's looking out for you..." Key mumbled into Jonghyun's shoulder, still hugging his hyung. 

"Telling an atheist that "He" will save them doesn't give em much hope." Jonghyun said with a straight face. 

Key was surprised. He had never met an atheist before and never thought Jonghyun would be one. Key wasn't sure how Jonghyun kept himself going. 

"How do you...uh..." Key croaked out. 

"How do I keep going? Know all of this? I count my lucky stars, Key." Jonghyun said smiling slightly. 

"Lucky stars?" Key was confused. Why need luck when there is faith in God? Key in no way judged Jonghyun for being atheist...Key just wondered how one would stay strong. 

"Yeah...I think about all of the things I have in my life...this school, music, my voice, you, Hyung, Minho and Tae, my parents, my sister...I think about all of the people that are watching over me and showing me what way to go and this helps me live in the moment for all of them. I don't know if my sickness is terminal or if I'll be cured or how I'll look with no hair, but I do know that I have a lot of lucky stars." Jonghyun smiled, more tears running down his cheeks. 

Key stood in awe of his hyung. So much confidence was in his words. Not to mention he was mentioned as one of Jonghyun's lucky stars. 

 

If you count your lucky stars

Count them everyday

No matter how hard the days are 

They'll always show you the way

If you should get lost 

Or get tangled in the fray

Each lucky star will guide you back

And convince you to stay

 

A/N: Sorry for such the long wait. Hope you enjoy the new discoveries about Jonghyun. If you haven't figured it out, Key will discover something new about each of his friends. I told you this would be an experience they would never forget.