Tarnished Silver

You Are Now an ISAgifted Student. Welcome.

 

Key would be lying to himself if he said that he didn’t enjoy waking up in the arms of the guy he was now at this point in love with. Onew’s personality was radiant even when he was sleeping, a soft smile plastered on his face. His arms were strong and warm, and his skin was so soft. Onew’s longish honey colored hair was messy and sticking out in a bunch of places which made Key smile. 

 

But then thoughts came streaming in. How violated he felt last night, how he let his baby Taemin get hurt, how he hid in the dark like a coward, how he had to now go explain what happened to Leeteuk, how Minho and Jonghyun had to carry Taemin to the nurse, how his hyungs and Minho and Taemin always had his back and he just sits in his room crying until someone tries to make it better. Key tightened his grip on Onew’s hand as worried thoughts plagued his brain. He didn’t want everyone to be there to tell what happened. He didn’t want his flatmates to get in trouble or anything. He wanted to forget and never ever let it come up again. 

 

Just then, Key’s second saving grace and best friend walked into the room. “Key...get up and don’t wake Onew hyung up. Neh?” Minho whispered. He was all dressed and ready, black T-shirt and simple jeans with his Docs laced up. Normally, traditional Minho would never wear shoes in the house, but that told Key that wherever Minho was going, he needed to go too and now. Key slipped out of bed, legs still shaky from the weight of everything going on, and went to his and Minho’s shared room, grabbed some random clothes and went into the bathroom. In very un-Key like fashion, Key came out only a few minutes later as opposed to the normal hour it took him to get ready, in an outfit that basically was the same as Minho’s. He just grabbed the first pair of jeans and black shirt he could find, not realizing that they would match Minho’s clothes at all. Key however, not being able to leave his outfit at just that added a necklace with a studded cross and a black leather belt. After throwing on some random black boots he owned, he followed the silent Minho out of the flat. It was an unusually warm day. 

 

“Key...we’re going to Leeteuk now okay?” Minho began. 

 

Key took a sharp breath and exhaled a shaky one. Minho read his thoughts. 

 

“I know it is going to be uncomfortable and you wanna forget, but this will prevent others from being treated like that. I figured you didn’t want everyone coming. Jonghyun hyung would up the story, Taemin will definitely not want to talk about it, and I feel like Onew hyung is about to fly off the handle any second. So you have me.” 

 

Key sighed and stopped. He turned around and lunged himself at Minho, wrapping his arms around Minho’s waist. Minho, taken aback by Key’s gesture, just patted his back. 

 

“What would I do without you Minho?” 

“Well for starters, you wouldn’t coordinate our outfits.” 

Key playfully punched Minho’s arm. “Yah! I was in a hurry. Plus I accessorized. All you have is that one bracelet you always wear. No rings, earrings, necklace, belt, bag, nothing.” 

“I like to dress simply, okay?” Key laughed when his mind went back to MInho’s mysterious tarnished chain link silver bracelet that had no charms, no monogramed tag, no one else’s initials. Key was perplexed and figured he could ask Minho. He hoped it was a happy story behind the bracelet. 

“Minho, tell me about your bracelet.” 

“It’s a kind of a long story, Key...” 

“We have a little time. I was just wondering.” 

“Okay...well it goes back to before I was born. My mom really wanted four daughters right? That was her initial dream. So when she got pregnant the first time, she bought four matching silver bracelets in hopes to give them to her daughters when they got older. Sort of like a friendship bracelet type thing. 

“Thats really sweet...” Key chimed in. 

“My mom’s first child ended up being a boy, my older brother Minseok. Of course she loved him and cherished him, even though he was not a daughter. After that, she was so convinced that I would be a girl. I wasn’t. By the time I was born, my parents decided to not have any more children and the love for her two sons way surpassed her desire to ever have girls. However, she still REALLY wanted us to wear the bracelets one day.”

“Brother bracelets?” Key chuckled. 

“They don’t have any charms on them but it was weird to us. We always complained about someday having to wear them.” Minho answered. 

“Anyway, along came high school for Minseok hyung and he started off really well. He was super smart, Key. Like Onew hyung, the top of his class and all that. He was also a really cool older brother and was my best friend...” 

 

Key heard Minho stumble, his voice cracking. “Oh god. Please don’t tell me...he’s...” Key thought. 

“Do you wanna keep going Minho? You don’t have to.” Key could feel his heart breaking. 

“No no, you asked, and its always good to be reminded.” Minho simply answered Key. 

 

“Minseok hyung, during his freshman year, fell in love with this beautiful, kind, unique girl. Victoria. She actually is a teacher here, but I haven’t had the heart to go up to her yet.” 

Key was taken aback. Surprised that one of his teachers was Minho’s older brother’s girlfriend. “Vic noona? She is really great.” 

“Yeah she is....” Minho nodded sullenly. “Anyway, Victoria noona’s mother died from cancer and soon after, she moved away in the middle of Minseok hyung’s senior year of high school. It was so sudden, leaving my hyung hurt and in shock. He really, really loved her. Hyung then fell into spiraling depression and began to self-harm in secret. Minseok hyung would come home late every night, his eyes puffy from crying. I never knew what to say or ask. I found out when I found one of his used razor blades on the floor. I confronted him and he promised for me to keep it a secret. I couldn’t let him keep doing this to himself....” Minho took a deep breath. Key was holding his hand. “I told my parents and they tried everything to help him get better. Something along the way triggered...him...he...uh...cut himself badly, hitting veins, he bled out...he...he...” 

“Minho! You don’t have to keep going. I didn’t know. I’m sorry....” Key was panicking.

“No Key. It’s fine. You were wondering.” Minho said. 

 

“He passed away and we had a lovely ceremony but it was impossible to get through. I almost ran away. Sulli was there of course, and Victoria came soon after she heard the news. The three of us stayed together the whole time. During the ceremony, my mother held the box with the four silver bracelets, not as silver from aging. One for me, one for Sulli, one for Victoria noona. We wear them on our wrists to remember the pain Minseok had gone through and the life he lived....we all loved him...the last bracelet was buried with him....and that’s the story.” Minho finished tears escaping his eyes. They were now in front of the recording studio entrance. Key was still holding Minho’s hand. Key was crying too. 

 

“Wow. Minho...that’s beautiful...” Key choked out. 

“Y...yah,” Minho shakily laughed. “I knew you would cry like this. You’re gonna make me cry." 

“Manly Minho cries?” Key joked through tears. 

“Not nearly as much as Dinohyun.” 

 

Key and Minho chuckled and walked into the recording studio. A whole new set of emotions swept over Key. What if he gets in trouble? More importantly what about Taemin?

 

Leeteuk greeted the puffy eyed, nervous looking boys. Looking concerned, Leeteuk asked what was wrong and the boys jumped right to it, Minho speaking mostly, on a count that Key couldn’t bring himself to look into Leeteuk’s eyes with the amount of shame hanging over his head. He felt still so dirty, violated, and like a coward. After the story, Leeteuk was very understanding, angry at what happened. He immediately got out of his chair, and asked the boys to follow him to the school director of student affair’s office which was on the top floor of the main building. All were nervous because Director Moon was very strict. He while not the headmaster, was in charge of serious student punishment and safety. When Minho, Leeteuk, and Key stepped into the waiting area of Director Moon’s office, they could hear crying. Leeteuk peeked over around the corner where the actual office was, and through the clear glass walls, he saw a terrified, emotional Taemin. Jonghyun, who had to take Taemin into the office to discuss the force used against Hyun Joong, was in the seat next to Taemin, however, he was ordered not to talk. 

 

“LEE TAEMIN! LOOK AT ME! Do I look like a er to you? Here at ISA we are tolerant to slip ups however, this was a violation of the rules, your moral compass, and let’s hope it does not involve the law! DO YOU HEAR ME?! Mr. Kim Hyun Joong told me the whole story. How dare you punch a teacher for notifying his student that he has gotten into a good class. HOW DARE YOU PUNCH A TEACHER AT ALL! Expulsion is in order....” 

“Wait! Director Moon! Please! Let me explain the real situation! These boys right here were there. Key was the victim and Lee Taemin’s intentions were nothing more than self defense. Please listen to us!” Leeteuk yelled, startling Jonghyun, Taemin, who looked back and saw the two other boys looking uncomfortable, and infuriating the Director. 

 

After a time of convincing the Director to hear them out, Taemin removed his last bandage revealing his cut, Minho explained, Jonghyun tried to explain, Key told everything that had happened through tears. Taemin was overwhelmed and crying as well. 

 

“Taemin was just trying to protect me! It should be me in that chair getting yelled at. If I wasn’t such a coward, none of this would have happened. But please, he harassed me and stalked me, and I just want closure and to make sure none of this happens to anyone else!” Key exclaimed. 

 

“I’ll terminate his contract. Apologies Mr. Kim Kibum and Mr. Lee Taemin. If you need counseling that will be offered to you. You are free to go.” Director Moon said clearly terrified of the horrible situation. 

 

That evening: 

 

Taemin went to meet Sulli. They held hands as the walked, Sulli constantly asking Taemin if his injuries were okay. Taemin played with the silver chain bracelet handing on the wrist of the hand he was holding in his. He would have to ask her someday about it. 

 

Jonghyun was telling Onew everything that happened that day while they sat on the couch. 

 

Minho went to meet with Victoria for the first time in a long, long time. Not much was said during the teary reunion, the soft jingling of the silver bracelets on their wrists as they walked down the street with warm coffee in their hands said it all. 

 

Key was asked by Lee Hi to come to the art room. The two spent the evening drawing, eating, but few words were spoken. 

 

Silence is not always golden. Sometimes it comes in the form of tarnished silver. 

 

A/N: Thank you for reading! Hope you enjoy.