4.. Repeat Step 1

Of crushes and public confessions..

 

Four 
Repeat steps one through three



I
March 2010


“Unnies! B2st’s comeback performance is starting right now!” Yoona squealed as she led the pack of running girls to the side stage at KBS’ Music Bank.

The staff just shook their head laughing at the Nation’s Fairies throwing away their idol images and acting like any normal 20 year olds.

“Yah! Sooyoungah you’re too tall. Move back!” Sunny complained as she tried to see over the younger girl who turned around in response and poked out her tongue. “Hey, I’m not even wearing heels. Go get your five inch shoe lifts!”

Yoona nudged Hyoyeon, “Unnie, let’s do the electrocution dance!” but Hyoyeon’s thoughts seemed to be far away, her lips pursed and expression looking focused and intent. This piqued Yoona’s curiosity since the older girl was usually her accomplice in being off the wall and fooling around backstage so she studied her closely.

Hmm.. could it be possible Hyo unnie likes one of the boys in B2st? I should store this info away so that I can about it later, she grinned revelling in the chance to bully her fellow choding member.



As the norm for comeback stages, B2st had to pre-record their performance a number of times for proper angles and change of sets. After completing the first trial the boys scattered around the stage getting drinks, practising dance moves, warming up their voices or touching up their hair and make-up.

Doojoon quietly walked to the back end of the stage and crouched down with his hands on his knees and closed his eyes.  Even though he looked the part of confident leader, inside he was a bundle of nerves.  This was a big moment for them – a successful comeback would mean a secure place in the big leagues. With a much hyped up debut, there were a lot of hopes and expectations riding on them – and they had to prove that their initial success wasn’t just a fluke. As the leader he felt the responsibility even more.

After a moment, he refocused his eyes and noticed a group of radiant girls watching them from the sidelines. He realized it was none other than Girls Generation and instinctively sought out Hyoyeon. It didn’t take him long to spot her Ed hardy cap that she often wore when she came to the hair salon and she seemed to have been watching him too because their eyes met directly; unnerving him for a second –

Did everyone else notice? Sh** there are cameras filming! But they couldn’t have, right? She isn’t even in the frame. You’re just being paranoid! He shook his head to clear his thoughts.

She gave him the smallest of smiles, barely noticeable to others, but it made him happy to realize that he knew her well enough to read the thoughts behind it – “Don’t worry. You’re doing great! Fighting!” He felt his nerves calming down.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Thankyou everyone. You’ve worked hard.” The B2st boys bowed to the staff at Music Bank after finally completing their recording. 

“Hyung, we did it!” Dongwoon jumped on Doojoon and he pinched the maknae’s cheek. They started to clear the stage since the next performers would be coming out and it turned out to be none other than Girls’ Generation.

Yoona was trailing after Hyoyeon still watching her carefully. She knew the saying that curiosity killed the cat but she was no cat, she was a deer :D She laughed at her own joke and got ready to test her detective skills.

Hyoyeon politely greeted the first two members of B2st to walk by but upon spotting Kikwang, she stopped and returned his hi-five. They had met a few times in the past having attended the same dance school.
“Nice dance moves! I can feel it becoming the next trend,” she told him. He let out a bashful laugh, “No way! I don’t think we can beat the ‘oh oh oh oh’ dance!” and began imitating the hair twirling move, much to Hyoyeon’s amusement. 
Doojoon and Dongwoon passed behind Kikwang but Hyoyeon didn’t seem to notice. So I guess we can rule those two out, Yoona revised her mental list.
“Have a good performance!” Kikwang told Hyoyeon before leaving and she waved at him. Yoseob, followed and she simply bowed to him. 

Ok then, candidate #1 is definitely Kikwang. Yoona concluded but decided to keep an eye out for further clues.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that night,

“Congrats on the comeback! You guys were great,” Hyoyeon said enthusiastically even though she was trying to keep her voice low.

“Thanks! I’m glad you could watch,” Doojoon replied on the other end. “I..” he hesitated but then thought what the heck! He was exhausted and didn’t have the energy to pretend, “I missed you!” They hadn’t talked to each other in a while due to comeback practises and he realized now that text messages were nothing compared to hearing her soft voice and tinkling laugh. Of course, seeing her would be even better..

She let out a girly giggle and in her frank manner replied, “Me too, chingu-ya!”
“Chingu,” there she goes again.
Would she ever see him as anything more than a friend?
But you won’t know if you never make a stronger effort,
 a voice egged him on.

He tapped his fingers on the balcony railings lightly deciding that today was the day. 

“Are you tired? Do you have early schedules tomorrow?” he asked hoping that she would say no.
“Nope.” He pumped his fist silently. “But I’m so dumb! You must be exhausted, I’ll let you go.”
“No!” he replied so quickly it almost sounded like a shout. “I want to talk.” He settled down on the lounge chair they kept on the veranda. 

On the other side, Hyoyeon sat down in the empty bathtub. She spotted a blanket amongst the towels and silently thanked Sica for taking naps there.
“So...what do you want to talk about?”


They had been talking for about half an hour already but Doojoon still hadn’t found an opening. 
He so wanted to say, “I like you. A lot! and I think you should give me a chance because I can make you happy.” But he knew that it would send Hyoyeon into awkward mode and she might even start avoiding him.

“Hey what are you doing for Seollal?”* Hyoyeon interrupted his thoughts.
“We’re getting a 3 day break so I’m going home to Ilsan on the main day. There’s a really big festival in Ilsan park. We have tons of activites and shows- it’s a lot of fun and..”

She had suddenly gone silent. “You still there?” he asked.

“Yea, sorry,” but her voice sounded oddly distant.

His brows furrowed together mentally going over their conversation, “Did I say something wrong?”
“No,” came the quick reply. Hyoyeon chewed on her bottom lip, “It’s just.. it reminded me of something. That’s all.”

Oh crap! Doojoon slapped his forehead. He had forgotten. Ilsan was also Eunhyuk’s hometown. Hyoyeon hadn’t talked extensively about her past relationship but had once mentioned that Eunhyuk was her ex-boyfriend and that she still hadn’t been able to move on from him.
Hearing her voice sad and affected just by the thought of Eunhyuk dashed his hopes.

“Eunhyuk shhi?” he braced himself for the reply.
“It was where we went on our first date.” She said simply but he knew that she must be tearing up.

Don’t be sad, Hyo.” He consoled her once again relegated to the role of ‘friend’. 
But then suddenly something kicked in, possibly adrenaline from the performance earlier in the day or all the Red Bulls he had consumed.  “Do you really think you’re never going to fall in love again?”

He heard her stir.

“I mean, you’re only 21. You can’t just give up.. or are you hoping that you will get back together with him?” he closed his eyes hoping for a negative response.

“I...” she trailed off and he held his breath. Finally she continued, “I don’t know. He’s the only person I’ve ever loved. It’s sort of become a habit now.”
“But that’s not good enough!” he rebutted fiercely. “You have to try something out different ways before giving up and settling for nothing.”

She was silent as she mulled over his words but fearing that he had upset her, he quickly apologized. “That was out of line! Sorry, I got carried away. I just don’t like seeing you unhappy.”
“No you’re right,” she interrupted him. “I guess, I am scared so maybe that’s why I’m clinging to the only love I know... even though he’s long moved on.”



“Hey! I have an idea.” His voice sounded lighter, “How about I take you on a practice date so you can get over your fear of dating?”
“What ?” she let out an incredulous laugh. “You’ve lost your mind right? Even if we explained we are just friends, it would be a big scandal.”

Doojoon pouted though she couldn’t see him. “Yah! You underestimate me – Ok, let’s make a deal. If I can find a safe fool proof way to go out, will you give me, I mean, er.. the practice date a chance?”
She figured she would humour him, “Deal! If you CAN do that and that’s a big if, buddy!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A week later, during their Seollal break

“This is amazing! Remind me never to underestimate you again!” Hyoyeon applauded after Doojoon filled her in on the plan.
“Hate to say I told you so!” he grinned and led her out from the parking lot. 

Right before they reached the exit, he stopped and put his hands on her shoulders, “Ok, now remember the deal. You have to pretend that we are on a real date for it to work!”
“Yes sir!” she nodded her head and extended her hand, “I am Kim Hyo Yeon and I will be playing the role of ‘the girlfriend’ today. I will do my best.” 
He imitated her mock serious expression. “I am Yoon Doojoon and I will be ‘the boyfriend’. Due to my past experience of being picked as the nation’s boyfriend, I have the confidence to do well.”  

He shook her hand but then, instead of letting go, he entwined their fingers together. She felt a strange spark shoot up from her fingertips and quickly looked up to Doojoon to see if he had felt it too, but his mask was already covering his face. 
He pulled her mask down with his other hand and after a quick survey nodded, “Let’s go!”

Weird! Must have just been static, she surmised and fell in step with him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N * Seollal is actually celebrated in February but I decided to take some liberties here :P