If ever I believe my work is done..

Of crushes and public confessions..

 


"What?" Donghae yelled dramatically like he usually tended to when surprised. "Hyoyeonnie is driving Hyukjae home? Does this mean they are back toge..."

"Yah! Speak softly, if someone hears it'll be .." Eeteuk's words trailed off as panic siezed him. 

Too late.

Walking up behind Donghae was none other than Yoon Doojoon.
The younger man froze as well and it was all too clear that he had overheard their conversation - every incriminating word of it.

Eeteuk moved first. Brushing past Donghae he approached Doojoon hoping the right words would hit him when he got there but Doojoon bowed to him before he could get a word out, "Annyeong haseyo hyung! I hope you are having a good night" and turning on his heel walked away.

**************

"Doojoonah! Where have you been? Hiding somewhere with your new girlfriend?" Junhyung winked at Doojoon when he saw him heading their way.
Dongwooon and Kikwang also began making kissing sounds grinning like playful schoolboys in the background.

Wordlessly, Doojoon got his jacket. 
s exhanged curious glances. 

Now that they looked closely, Doojoon's face was pale and his eyes seemed to have lost the gleam from earlier. They knew not to pry him with questions when he got this way so they waited for him to speak first.

"I'm leaving now, okay? You guys stay and enjoy your night. See you back at the dorm." And with that, he was gone.

*********************

At the Super Junior dorm,

Without any warning Eunhyuk pulled her inside. His hands reached up to cradle her face gently in the dark and a second later, his lips were on hers, kissing her with all the pent up passion and secreted away love of the past two years.

.. And she didn't stop him.


She couldn't stop him.

After how she had totally misunderstood and lost faith in him, how could she push him away so cruelly? 

"He did it to protect you!" Yoona's words echoed in her mind over and over; numbing her to reality. Her hands lay limp beside her even as Eunhyuk's arms tightened around her.



For his own part, as terrible as it was, Eunhyuk couldn't stop himself from kissing her even though she wasn't responding. How he wished she would push him away.. At least it would mean that she still felt something. 

Still, he couldn't just let go. 'Maybe.. Just maybe, if he didn't give up so easily this time, he could reach that place in her heart that he once occupied and she would be his again,' his mind was screaming.
Like a man driven senseless by desperation, he continued kissing her until he felt something wet on his cheeks. 

Tears.

Hers or his own, he couldn't tell at this point. But he finally stopped.

***********************

The arms around her loosened and Hyoyeon fell to the ground like a ragdoll, crumpling at his feet, "I'm sorry oppa." Her body was shaking as the sobs overwhelmed her petite frame, "I'm sorry for not believing in you. I'm sorry I coudn't wait for you."

She had made her choice.

And he was going to respect it. 
Unexplainably, he felt a wave of calmness wash over him. At least their secrets were all out.

He bent down on his knees and caressed her face again, but this time only wiping away the tiny rivulets arising from her eyes.
"Shh..." he quietly consoled her even though his own tears were threatening to overflow. "We'll be okay so don't cry anymore."
She lifted her tear stained face to him, "You promise?" He nodded and slowly her shaking subsided. "I know this is selfish," she spoke again in a small voice, "but can you please hold me once more oppa?" Her head fell against his chest pleading for his warmth, his forgiveness.

And his arms were around her in an instant, cradling her close. They were both crying now - saying goodbye to the special bond they had once shared, to the carefree young lovers they had once been, to all the what if's and maybe's.

***************************

Time lost all meaning as they sat on the floor together; each mentally flipping through memories of their love, gently wrapping them up and placing them in the most sacred corners of their heart - to be looked at another day in the faraway future when it didn't hurt so much.



"Wow!" he finally exclaimed after an eternity, "I think crying might be the best way to cure drunkeness." His tone was light and carefree - but only he knew that it had taken him twenty minutes to come up with those words. He didn't want to say the wrong thing and trigger her emotions again. Those would be the last tears she would cry over him, he promised himself.

Hyoyeon pulled away and gave him a weak but genuine smile, "You should fill your stomach just in case it returns. Go and wash up, I'll make some jjigae for you!"

"You don't have to."
"I want to."

She stood up first and walked away in the direction of the kitchen.
It was over much too soon, he thought, staring after her longingly, feeling like a part of himself had left him forever.

************************************

As Hyoyeon busied herself in the kitchen, she glanced at the clock worriedly. It had been almost three hours since she left the party.. since she left him
without an explanation.


If he was angry at her, she wouldn't blame him.


"Hey!" Eunhyuk peeked his head from his bedroom door. "If you want to call.. umm.. anyone and let them know where you are, you can use our dorm phone."
Her eyebrows raised slightly in surprise but as his words registered in her mind, she felt fresh tears spring in her eyes again at his thoughtfulness. "It's okay," she tried to laugh them away, "I can do that later."

Eunhyuk's eyes met hers, "Don't worry I'll be in the shower!" so I won't overhear anything that will hurt me if that's what you're worried about. The words went unsaid but Hyoyeon understood his meaning. 
"Thanks oppa," she said simply and he turned back around with a nod.

********************************************

Hyoyeon tapped her fingers on the telephone keypad nervously as she waited for the line to connect. Even though her time with Doojoon told her that he was a patient person, this might be too much even for him. But she couldn't lie to him - she couldn't lose another person she loved because of misunderstandings.

"Hello?" his gruff voice alone made catch. "Hello, who is this? Look I'm not in the mood for pranks right now! Goodby--" 

"Wait! Don't hang up!" Hyoyeon was spurred into action by his impatient words, "It's me......Hyoyeon."

.................

He went silent. 

Seconds ticked by and the sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach grew worse.

"Hey, it's Hyoyeon."

"I know. I caught it the first time."

"Oh....."

.................

More silence.

Hyoyeon couldn't take anymore. "Look, you don't have to say anything but will you listen to me, please?"

"Hyoyeon, I..." Doojoon began speaking in measured words, "I think you've made your choice so, we should go our separate ways. No hard feelings."

"What? No! You don't understand. It's not what you think. I only went --"

"Hyoyeon, stop!" his voice was actually patient and warm, "You don't have to explain. I understand.. I understand you even better than you understand yourself, remember?"

"But that's.." she was starting to choke up, "that's not it! You don't get it Yoon Doojoon!"

"There is a reason you ran to him, Hyoyeon. No matter how much you want to deny it, you still haven't been able to erase him from your heart. And believe me, you will regret it later. And maybe you'll even hate me or yourself for it. So let's not go down that road. Let's just go back to being friends, ok?"

"I....." desperate tears were rolling down Hyoyeon's cheeks as the words sank in..

Was he right?

=======================================

 

A/N Thank you for all your feedback. i do appreciate each of you taking the time to comment.

this was supposed to be the final chapter but i like even numbers (and i am evil) so i broke it up. i did add some parts to it so its still a good length, i think

the next chapter is the end. i hope it has been an enoyable and unpredicatble ride for you. See you the next time with the ending. bye!

This is just out of curiosity. I must warn you that the endgame has already been set/has always been set so please dont be disappointed if your vote doesn't win!