Damaged heart[s]

Of crushes and public confessions..

A while later:

The pair were seated in Eunhyuk’s car in the basement parking lot of the SM building. 
Hyoyeon shifted uneasily, “You said, you wanted to get a drink, oppa? Let’s go quickly, I think I left the iron on in the dorm.” 
Not hearing a stir from him, she looked in his direction.

Eunhyuk’s gaze was uncharacteristically serious, “I also said I wanted to ask you something. Does being alone with me make you uncomfortable, Hyoyeonah?”

Hyoyeon shook her head in denial but her eyes gave her away. She was holding her breath wondering if he would admit to what he said to Doojoon on Sukira. And what was she going to say in return? 
She still hadn’t figured it out.


Eunhyuk turned fully towards her. “Let’s start again? Right from scratch, what do you say?” he asked earnestly and her brows furrowed in confusion. 
Start again? Well, that could mean a lot of different things.

Like he could read her mind, Eunhyuk quickly explained. “I mean let’s go back to the beginning when we first met in trainee days. Simple times. Do you remember how much fun we used to have?”
Hyoyeon nodded slowly and he continued, “I think it’s been weird because we just tried to ignore what happened between us so let’s let it all out today, once and for all, and move forward.”


All of a sudden, Hyoyeon felt the pent up tension inside release itself. 
So he was just joking on Sukira? If he felt comfortable enough to do that then he must have moved on, right? 

Surprisingly, Hyoyeon didn’t feel hurt by the thought. She felt relieved, even. 
It was then that she realized she had also truly gotten over him – and who it was that helped her get there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a long and honest conversation, they drove to a nearby café that offered window service, feeling relaxed and like their old selves. They even bickered over the menu like they used to. 

“Oppa, get the caramel macchiato! It’s delicious.”
He looked at her sceptically, “You don’t remember? Coffee still makes my stomach hurt. I think I’ll stick to my mint chocolate, thanks.”
“Oh right, you’re an overgrown kid. I’ll never forget that day at the park when you had to spend hours in the public restroom because of one cup of coffee! Who told you to drink it if you knew you couldn’t?” she without holding back, her head tossing to and fro in laughter. 

That was when he knew he had gotten the old Hyoyeon back.



He thought of the conversation he had with Sooyoung the day before,
“I’m telling you oppa, Hyoyeonnie isn’t seeing anyone. A hundred percent sure. I would know if she was!
P.S If someone, not you, I’m just speaking generally; if anyone really wanted to get together with an ex again, then I’d suggest that he apologize for what happened in the past and start from being friends again.”



Hyoyeon turned to Eunhyuk cradling the caramel macchiato in her hands. “Thanks for the coffee and the ride oppa! I’m really really happy we talked.” She hopped out of the car with a smile. And for the first time in a long long while, she didn’t have to fake it. Her heart felt light and at ease. Everything was clear now.


He watched as she waved at him and disappeared into the apartment building. 
Step 1 accomplished.

 

 

*****************************


Once inside, Hyoyeon quickly pulled out her phone, her heart beating erratically. It had been two hours since her angry voice mail to Doojoon and now she was filled with regret and embarrassment. 
What if he had just been really busy? Kim Choding, you useless drama queen! She hit herself on the head and saying a silent prayer flipped the phone open.

Yes! There was a text.

Can we talk in person? Just for a few minutes, it won’t take long. Tuesday around 11, same place.

Hyoyeon read the message a few times trying to discern his tone. She even tried voices but it wasn’t much help. Giving up, she threw the phone on her bed and went to the kitchen. 

But when she caught her own reflection in the toaster, she couldn’t help squealing a little at the prospect of seeing him again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The days didn’t go by fast enough for Hyoyeon’s liking. It had been the longest they’d gone without speaking, texting or seeing each other and she had resorted to snapping an elastic band on her wrist every time she reached for her phone.
All she had to do was be patient for a couple more days and she could tell him the good news.


At long last, it was Tuesday. 

Hyoyeon got up earlier than everyone and showered quickly. She had picked out her outfit the night before, marvelling at her own girlishness. When the rest of the girls, minus Sleeping Beauty Jessica and maknae who was away filming We Got Married, filtered in, they found her humming in the kitchen and making a stack of pancakes.

“Oh god! Aren’t you an early bird, Hyorreng,” Tiffany grinned at her weakly; her batteries and lungs not fully charged yet.
“And you even put maple syrup smileys? I might get a tummyache from all this sweetness. What’s up, Hyo?” Sunny raised her eyes suspiciously, looking exactly like a fluffy Easter bunny, in her pink rabbit ears hoodie.

Hyoyeon kept humming with a poker face and handed out more pancakes.

“Oh ho! If I didn’t know any better, I’d say there’s a boy involved.” Tiffany teased making three mouths drop open silently.
Yuri and Yoona exchanged panicked looks with each other and then Hyoyeon, who shook her head quickly. As a punishment for their blunder with Kikwang, she had made them both promise not to meddle with her crushes anymore. 


Sooyoung’s mouth secretly curved in a smile too; he must have taken her advice after all. Cupid Choi Sooyoung, – it had a nice ring to it.

Taeyeon, who was helping Hyoyeon, just watched her carefully.

 

 

*********************************


Two hours later

Hyoyeon wrung her hands together as she sat on the rooftop bench, tapping her foot to an invisible beat.
There were butterflies in her stomach, but the good kind – full of anticipation – the type she got right before their comeback performances.

She had tried to prepare something to say because her speech blunders were sure to make her say something confusing like Winfrah Ophrey or Golden Retriever but it was too embarrassing to practise.
Even now, just the thought of it, made her cheeks warm. Fanning herself, she prayed that the right words would come out. But first, she had to apologize to him.


She checked her watch. It was 10 past 11. 
Should I hide and surprise him? No, that’s too childish. Hmph.. why is he so late?

Just as the words escaped her, the door swung open. She smiled and walked towards him nervously but the expression on his face altered her own.
Doojoon stood before her, looking the most solemn and tired that she’d ever seen him.
“Have you been sick?” the words slipped out instinctively and she began to feel even worse about her voicemail.
He shook his head, revealing dark circles under his eyes, “Just haven’t been able to sleep well, that’s all.”

“I just wanted to say..” they both started at the same time.
“Can I go first? I have to be back in the parking lot in 5 minutes.” Doojoon asked and she nodded. 


“I’m sorry Hyo,” he let out a long sigh. “I didn’t mean to ignore you. I just wanted to make it easier for you.”
Her eyebrows rose in confusion.
“I know you love Eunhyuk sunbae more; I’ve always known and I don’t want to hold you back from your happiness. But still, it’s hard actually watching it happen.” The hurt in his eyes made her heart wince.

“I meant what I said about staying friends though and I’m sorry for making you doubt it. So, if you can just give me a few more days to sort my feelings out, I’ll be back to normal. Promise!” He said sadly and Hyoyeon kept her eyes averted from him, hating herself.

That’s what he had been going through while she had selfishly accused him of being a bad friend! 
Hyoyeon felt too guilty and ashamed to say anything to him except – 
“I’m even more sorry Doojoonah, you have no idea how sorry I am!”

She didn’t deserve him.

But he took it as her acceptance of his words and her choosing Eunhyuk, so giving her an understanding nod, he exited silently.