Whispers in the dark..

Of crushes and public confessions..

 

"W..what?" Hyoyeon stuttered, her eyes blinking rapidly. She had thought she had been quite specific in listing the qualities of her crush ..but apparently not! First Wooyoung, then Jo Kwon, Lee Joon, Gdragon and now...

"Come on.. Single eyelids, funny, dancer? That's me, right?" 
Hyoyeon stayed mute - unable to think of a way to let him down easily. He looked like an eager puppy waiting for his treat.

"Crap! .... crap crap." She somehow began humming Seungri's Strong Baby in her head. Focus Kim Hyoyeon! she 
mentally kicked herself. 

"Hyoyeonnie my honey bunny! I'm so happy. I knew we were soulmates, chagiya!" Junho hugged her dramatically.
"Uh.... Junho ya ..I.. erm..actually.."


"Step away from my girlfriend, Lee Junho!"
Hyoyeon quickly extricated herself from the hug and spotted Doojoon standing behind them.

"Junho was just..." Hyoyeon tried to think of a non dramatic way to explain the situation.
"Oh I think I understand it perfectly." Doojoon bared his teeth and before Hyoyeon could intervene, he grabbed Junho by the collar.
"You punk!"
"Doojoon stop!" her eyes grew wide in fear..... 





And then astonishment when the two boys broke into racuous laughter and hugged each other.
"We were just pulling your leg. I told the boys about us!" Doojoon was as close to some of the One Day members as his own group, Junho in particular.

But Hyoyeon's glare was enough to melt the polar ice caps.

"Sorry Hyo! But I was just acting like it because I really hoped it would be me! You know I've been devastated since Khun hyung stole you from me on Idol Army!" Junho shot his lethal eye smile adding in a childish aegyo filled pout as well. 

Hyoyeon was no match. She immediately broke into a smile. "You had a cute reason, so you are forgiven."
He hugged her and realizing Doojoon's hand on the back of his neck drew back sheepishly, "Sorry buddy."
He moved aside and Doojoon walked forward for his hug only to have Hyoyeon stab her finger against his chest and push him away, "Who said you are forgiven, mister?"

"Yeobo-ya I'm sorry!" 
"Yeobo?" Junho grinned from the side. "You guys are too cute!"

"Enjoy your bromance! I'm going to find Nicole."

"Don't forget... After party.. You still have to.." Doojoon called out but she had disappeared inside Kara's dressing room.

Quick childish temper, he added to the list.

********************************

"Forgive me already!" Doojoon casually walked up behind Hyoyeon as all the artistes came up on stage for the grand finale song. "I only did that because you look pretty when you're angry," he murmured taking care not to make himself obvious. The So Nyuh Shi Dae girls had taken their position at the centre of the stage but his group members continued walking by, so Doojoon discreetly took her hand and entwined their fingers together for a split second. Then he was gone.

Hyoyeon smiled giddily to herself.

Eunhyuk who was standing in front of the SNSD girls had turned around just in time to find the two of them close together. A scowl came over his face - everyone else seemed to be oblivious to what had just happened - even the people right next to them. God it's so obvious! Has the world gone blind?
Every time he turned around he caught them stealing glances at each other. Hyoyeon had left her spot behind him and was now on the opposite side of the stage - 'the side where Doojoon is'- he thought bitterly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"2010 Dream Concert has successfully ended. Everyone please go home safely and be careful of the rain!" Heechul, the event's MC, declared.

The stage area erupted in cheers as the idols hugged and congratulated one another. Doojoon, as the leader of his group, did his duty and paid respects to all his seniors. All the while the corner of his eye followed Hyoyeon's movements as she joked around with her members.

"You won't be able to escape this time!" he thought with a gleeful grin.

****************************************

As soon as they got off the stage, everyone scattered off to their dressing rooms to get ready for the after-party. It was a secret event held each year in the basement conference hall - the equivalent of Idols' Christmas - one could say.

It was the most anticipated day all year long. Only artistes were allowed inside - no managers, co-dis, CEOs - they were free to do what they liked! All management companies had agreed to this - as a reward for all the idols' round-the-clock hard work. The cherry on the cake was that all schedules for the next day were cancelled so the youngsters could go as crazy as they wanted - needless to say, the excitement was palpable. 

Who was going to hook up? Who was going to get drunk and cause a scene? Would there be a fight again like the last year?


"I need my hairspray N.O.W" Jessica yelled as she ran around with a half undone bun.

"Hyoyeonah! Can you zip me up?" Sunny walked over holding up a tight strapless black dress. 
"Ooh la la Sunkyu! Pulling out all the stops for Sungmin oppa!" Hyoyeon .
"Right back at you girl! You look like you are all ready to seduce your crush," Sunny stuck her tongue out eyeing Hyoyeon up and down suggestively.

Hyoyeon's cheeks colored. The stylist noona had selected her outfit - black leather shorts with a sparkling tank top accentuated with a feather necklace. A shiny shrug completed the look displaying her curves to perfection. 

"Yes yes everyone looks stunning. Now hurry up or else we are going to miss the opening speech by Heechul oppa - he says it will be epic!" Sooyoung rushed them like a mother hen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Beast members entered the party hall looking like young chicks seeing the sky for the first time. They had only heard of the legendary party and it was surreal they had actually made it.

The room was spacious but narrowed out like a tunnel on one end. There were gleaming dark wood tables set out all around them as well as plushy leather booths lining one end of the wall. The theme for the party was red and black so rich crimson curtains made of velvet hung around the opposite wall cordoning off the stock rooms. Grand looking chandelliers hung from the tall ceiling and fake candlesticks were placed here and there. At the end of the tunnel was a grand stage and an impressive blinged-out dance floor.


The boys quickly searched for their group place holder amongst the tables since the booths were reserved for senior artistes. Meanwhile, Doojoon kept his eyes trained on the main door anxious to see her and get his confession.

His jaw almost reached the floor when he did finally spot her. It was like a scene from a movie when the So Nyuh Shi Dae members walked into the hall - even though the room was full of celebrities they all stopped to gawk at the nine girls who were giggling and talking amongst each other.





Hyoyeon was leading the pack flanked by Yoona and Sooyoung. 

As if aware of him, she looked up from their conversation and her eyes met with Doojoon's. He gave her a lingering look from her head to her toes. A light red flush slowly spread across her cheeks making Doojoon chuckle with satisfaction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The girls approached their booth passing by 2PM, who were seated next to their's. Amidst the exchange of greetings, Junsu and Taecyeon paused distinctly to give Hyoyeon a knowing smile.

So as soon as they were out of earshot, Tiffany instantly latched onto Hyoyeon. "Yah! I've figured it out. You like someone from 2PM, right?"
"Fany ah, I'll tell you soon ok?" Hyoyeon assured her hurriedly; her attention fixed on Doojoon who was now walking in their direction. 
Flashing her the tiniest of smiles, he went over to 2PM's booth. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The entire hall buzzed expectantly as the last group - Big Bang - walked in and the grand doors slammed shut.

Without warning, the lights began to flicker making a zapping sound. A second later, they all went out simultaenously with a loud crack leaving the hall pitch black.



"Omma! Something's grabbing my leg!" A voice that sounded like Nicole shrieked.
"Mine too!" The usually reaction-less Krystal Jung's terrified scream followed sending Jessica into a panic. "Somebody save Soo Jungie!"

"Yah Cole-ah, are you okay?" It was 2AM's Jinwoon, his yell followed by a thud and a loud curse. He must have bumped himself against the table while trying to make his way over to her.

"Doesn't anyone have a cellphone or a lighter?" Sunny tried to be logical only to be thwarted by the diligent maknae who reminded her, "The party directions said no electronic or hazardous devices, unnie!" in a very solemn tone.

"Ok everybody, the worst thing we can do is panic. Stay calm, I'm sure the lights will be back on." Siwon, the epitome of composure and reassurance, spoke.

Several other voices spoke up gradually making it difficult to hear anyone clearly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At that very moment, a hand closed over the nape of Hyoyeon's neck. She opened ready to scream but snapped it shut a second later. It was like deja-vu. His warm breath tickled her ear. "It's me. You okay?" he whispered huskily.

Hyoyeon nodded her head; his presence and the darkness causing strange sensations within her. He rubbed her neck tenderly in soothing circular motions causing her to forget where they were. A contented purr escaped her lips. Seohyun, who was sitting next to her, stiffened. "Hyoyeon unnie was that you?"

Doojoon tried to draw back as silently as possible and Hyoyeon laughed loudly to cover up for him, "Was 'what' me? Maybe it was a ghost! Oh my god Seohyunah, can you hear dead people?"

"Unniee~~~stop!" Seohyun whined and d for her hand. "Don't scare me!"
Hyoyeon and the other girls giggled. "Hallelujah! Our maknae is not a freakishly mature robot after all!" Sunny remarked and they could hear her gulp down her drink.




All of a sudden, loud uncontrolled cackling laughter cut through the slightly calmed down atmosphere, followed by the sound of thunder crashing through the speakers. A lone spotlight lit up the stage, focusing on the center. Before anyone could process what was going on, a figure in a long black cape appeared. His upper face was covered with a mask but white gleaming fangs were exposed for all to see.



"Welcome to Heenimland. Did I scare you?" 
The tension within the room deflated like a popped balloon.

"Yah Heechul ah! Do you want a collective heart attack on your hands!" Eeteuk screamed clutching his chest.
"Call me Drac-hee-la, Teukkie!" he grinned pointing at his polished fangs.

"Then who is this?" Jinwoon was holding the culprit who scared Nicole like a hunted animal.
The prey removed his mask blushing furiously, "Sorry Nicole noona, Heechul hyung forced me into doing it!"

"Taeminah?"

"Heechul oppa! How can you make innocent little Taemin do such a byuntae thing!" an appalled Tiffany cried out but the older boy just waved her away, "Relax Fany. It was just her ankle, for godsake!" 

"Let me guess! You are Shindong oppa, right?" Krystal had the person who scared her in a chokehold and removed his mask. Super Junior's mascot smiled at her guiltily, "Annyeong Soojungah!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heechul's demanding voice once again drew their attention back to the stage. "The opening was one of a kind though, right?" No one could disagree. Kim Heechul was a mastermind scenestealer.The idols gave him a standing ovation in acknowledgement.


Waving his hands like a bashful king, he quieted them down. "Anyway," he continued, "I just wanted to see if we could expose some couples today!"

Everyone looked around quickly. 

"Jinwoon-Nicole, but I already knew that!" He turned his gaze to T-ara's table, "Bingo!"

Junhyung and Hyomin were sitting together and Seungho had his arm around Soyeon. "Hyomin sshi, I thought you were dating Lee Joon!" 
His focus shifted to Lee Joon who was at 4Minute's table with Hyunah and winked at them when the realization hit him. 

"See isn't this fun? We are all one family, no need to sneak around here. I have my suspicions about a few more of you " his gaze loitered on SNSD's table, "so I am sure I can announce some more couples before this night is over. Also a reminder, this entire hall is sound proof and camera free but if you go to the basement parking lot, there might be managers lurking so be careful. Soju and other hard drinks are in the bar area and champage and wine are in the stockroom. Feel free to help yourself to them. Now, raise your glasses," - they all followed - "the party is officially starting. Let's play!"

******************************

"Hey guys, let's go over to Soshi's table!" Eeteuk suggested eagerly to some of the Super Junior members.
"Sure!" Sungmin and Donghae immediately stood up. Their girlfriends were looking stunning tonight and they didn't want other male idols chatting them up.

Kyuhyun and Ryeowook were already at f(x)'s table hanging out with their girlfriends.
Siwon was in conversation with Khun and Minho while Heechul, Shindong and Yesung were at the 'ChocoBall' booth.

"Yah Hyukkah! You coming?" Donghae turned to his friend who remained seated.
"I'll catch up," was his sullen reply before he got up, snatched a bottle of soju off the table and stalked off in the opposite direction.