then i'll start back at ONE

Of crushes and public confessions..

Hyoyeon tapped her fingers on the telephone keypad nervously as she waited for the line to connect. Even though her time with Doojoon told her that he was a patient person, this might be too much even for him. But she couldn't lie to him - she couldn't lose another person she loved because of misunderstandings.


"Hello?" his gruff voice alone made catch. "Hello, who is this? Look I'm not in the mood for pranks right now! Goodby--" 

"Wait! Don't hang up!" Hyoyeon was spurred into action by his impatient words, "It's me......Hyoyeon."

.................

He went silent. 

Seconds ticked by and the sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach grew worse.

"Hey, it's Hyoyeon."

"I know. I caught it the first time."

"Oh....."

.................

More silence.

Hyoyeon couldn't take anymore. "Look, you don't have to say anything but will you listen to me, please?"

"Hyoyeon, I..." Doojoon began speaking in measured words, "I think you've made your choice so, we should go our separate ways. No hard feelings."

"What? No! You don't understand. It's not what you think. I only went --"

"Hyoyeon, stop!" his voice was actually patient and warm, "You don't have to explain. I understand.. I understand you even better than you understand yourself, remember?"

"But that's.." she was starting to choke up, "that's not it! You don't get it Yoon Doojoon!"

"There is a reason you ran to him, Hyoyeon. No matter how much you want to deny it, you still haven't been able to erase him from your heart. And believe me, you will regret it later. And maybe you'll even hate me or yourself for it. So let's not go down that road. Let's just go back to being friends, ok?"

"I....." desperate tears were rolling down Hyoyeon's cheeks as the words sank in..

 

*Beep Beep Beep Beep*

 

Hyoyeon jolted up hearing the sudden sound. 

She stared at the phone in a daze as the beeping tone finally registered in her mind.

 

It was the sound phones usually made when they had been off the hook for a long time... 'not the sound when someone hangs up on you and the line goes dead!' she thought as her tense shoulders relaxed in relief.

She had imagined the entire conversation!

 

'I have to correct my mistake NOW!'

Her fingers hastily danced over the keypad punching in the phone number she knew by heart. Her mind had stopped trying to think about what she was going to say - hopefully the sincerity of her heart would convince him to forgive her. And if that didn't work then she would just have to --

 

"Hello?" His voice interrupted her thoughts, sounding just as gruff as it had in her imagination."Hello, who is this? Look I'm not in the mood for pranks right now!" 'Oh no! It's happening exactly the same way as before'

"NO!" Hyoyeon yelled loudly. "No. No. No. I'm not letting you let me go. I know what I did was wrong and I know what you think it means but it really isn't. And if you would just give me a chance to explain then I --"


"Hyoyeonah? Hey! Hey! Calm down.. breathe."

"No you don't understand, I... I --"

"Shhh... baby. Just breathe."

She mutely did as she was told.

"Ok, Do you feel better now?"

"Yes." 

"That's good. You left without your jacket pabo! Aren't you cold?"

"Huh?" Hyoyeon mumbled taken aback, "Aren't you angry at me?" 

"Of course not."

 

Hyoyeon bit her lip. Would it be better not to bring everything up and spare his feelings... but she couldn't do that. She was too overwrought with guilt. She needed him to be mad at her.
"Even if.." she spoke tentatively, "even if I tell you where I've been?" 
"I already know. You are with Eunhyuk sunbae, right?"

Hyoyeon gasped.

"How did you..? But I can explain.. please give me a chance to explain! We just had some things to work out before I.."
"Before we could really be together, right?" He laughed softly and oddly she could almost imagine his eyes curving into little moons.
"Are you laughing right now?" she asked bewildered.
"Relax yeobo! I trust you. I know you took so long to tell me you loved me because you needed to wrap up your feelings for Eunhyuk sunbae first. And when you finally did, it meant you were over him. Am I right?"

She nodded even though he couldn't see her and he continued, "I have to admit. When I first overheard Eeteuk and Donghae sunbaes talking I was in shock but I believe in you.. in us so whatever it is that you have to work out with Eunhyuk sunbae right now, I'm okay with it."

.......................

"Yah! Hyo! Are you still there?" he checked when he didn't get any response from her. A moment later, his voice turned teasing, "Pabo! Are you crying because you are touched by what a cool guy I am?"
Her reply was something between a sniffle and a snort, "You wi.. ah fine, I admit it. I am! I am totally impressed by what a cool amazing guy my boyfriend is!" 

They were both smiling crazily at their phones. 

"Yoon Doojoon."
"Yea?"
"I love you!I really really love you."

He kissed her through the phone, "Then come to me quickly. I am not angry but I can be quite the jealous boyfriend, you know!" 
"You're so childish!" she giggled.
"Says the choding!" he retorted. 


"Meet me at the rooftop in an hour, okay?" he told her before hanging up.

*************************************

"Boo!" 

Hyoyeon almost dropped the soup filled bowl she was holding. "Oppa! Don't sneak up on me! You know I hate being surprised!"
"Okay Okay no need to yell," Eunhyuk grinned at her. 

Putting the bowl down she turned to face him. He looked like a new man - hair fresh from the shower, the life was back in his eyes and his gummy smile had returned, she thought with satisfaction. 

He wiggled his eyebrows at her jokingly, "Stop staring at my face so hard, you're going to fall in love with me again!"
She smacked his arm lightly, "It's still too soon to joke about that!"

Eunhyuk's heart grew two sizes biggger. He knew she cared about him but childishly, hearing her say it made him even happier. As long as she was in his life in some way, he'd learn to deal with it.



"Arasso, mian. Mmmm.. you made all this?" he rubbed his hands together hungrily eyeing the meal she had set for him on the table. "I am going to savour every last bite!" 



"Yah! Slow down," she handed him a glass of water, "It's not like you're never going to be able to eat again. Just call me if you need a cook and Wookie oppa isn't available."

"You mean it?" his eyes searched hers seriously.
"I do," she smiled simply but it spoke volumes to him.
"And Doojoon won't mind?"
"I'll bring him too. We can all have dinner together."
"Yah! It's still too soon to joke about that!" he used her own words against her and they both smiled. It would take time but they would be okay.

***********************************************

"Here, put this on."
Hyoyeon glanced at Eunhyuk's extended hands. He was holding a baggy navy blue and white sweatshirt - his and her favorite; they had always bickered over it when she used to visit him. 
"Thanks," she accepted it, touched by the gesture.

"Do you want me to drive you?" 
She glared at him. 
"I feel sober. Really!"
"OPPA!" her loud yell made him wince and he backed down sheepishly, "Sorry Sorry! I promise never to even think about driving drunk again. How about you take my car?"
"And face an interrogation from manager oppas?" she shuddered dramatically, "I've called a cab, don't worry."

"Oh.. okay then." He knew it was time to let her go.

"So..I'll see you later, I guess.." Hyoyeon pulled the sweatshirt tight around her and giving him an awkward wave, turned around. 
"Take care.." he whispered watching her unlock the door and walk out.

****************************************

For a while, he stood frozen in his spot, eyes fixated on the door where Hyoyeon had been.. until something snapped. There was one last thing..

Hoping she hadn't gotten into the elevator already, he raced down the hallway.

'Why does this damn hallway seem longer than ever!' Gasping for breath, he finally slowed down when he caught sight of her. 

She was standing in front of the elevator looking lost in thought.

The doors opened and closed

but she didn't move.



When Hyoyeon turned around suddenly, he was right in front of her making her eyes widen in shock.

"Hey! I have one question."
"What is it?"
"Do you regret us?"
She shook her head vigorously, "Never! I will always be grateful that you were my first, oppa. There's no other person I would have rather learned about love from. And," she hesitated for a second before continuing, "a part of me will always love you and care about you." She kissed his cheek tenderly. "So please be happy, ok?"

The elevator doors opened again. This time, it was Eunhyuk who gently nudged her inside. "Go."

That was enough for him. Knowing that if Doojoon ever messed up, he would have his chance again. And he was going to wait for as long as it took.

*******************************************

"Doojoonah?" Hyoyeon called out tentatively as she set foot into the rooftop terrace. 

It was almost six am when she got there - the orange and purple colors of dawn were slowly making way for morning painting a beautiful picture. The air felt still and calm.. 'Maybe he isn't here yet,' she was just starting to think when a pair of arms wrapped around her waist from behind.

"I missed you!" he whispered ily burying his face is the crook of her neck.
Hyoyeon's face broke into a delighted smile and raising his hands to her lips gave them soft kisses, "Thankyou for being so understanding." 

She felt his grin on her shoulder, "I have a surprise for you! Close your eyes." 

She did as ordered, her heart beating wildly with anticipation. 

"Okay, open!" he commanded and what she saw made her gasp outloud.

"What? How? When?" she sputtered as her eyes took in the gorgeous sight before her. Bright string lights illuminated the rooftop like colorful stars and there was a makeshift table at the center. On it were a bunch of snacks like choco pies and Hershey's kisses and an array of warm canned coffees.

..................

"Please tell me those are tears of happiness," he asked worriedly gazing at her watery eyes. Not quite the reaction he had been expecting. Hyoyeon turned away from him abruptly, "I don't deserve this Doojoonah, I don't deserve you!" she began to sob loudly.

Once again, he gently turned her around, "That's too bad because I only want you. I only love you!"
"But.."
He silenced her protests with a chaste kiss, "You're with me now and that's all that matters."

Feathery kisses on her cheeks followed, "I think you've cried enough today so no more tears okay? I can't stand seeing a pretty girl cry."

"Yah!" she pushed him lightly, "you better not be doing this everytime you see any girl cry!"

They both giggled as he wrapped his arms tight around her, "Are you jealous, yeobo?"
"Of course!" she replied in an aegyo filled voice and he stole another kiss.

They stood there for a while enjoying the moment, listening to each other's heartbeats without any distractions - for now, the world was just the two of them. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suddenly, Doojoon pulled away and when Hyoyeon looked up into his face she saw a frown creasing his brow.
"What's wrong?"

Without any explanation he reached for her sweatshirt and began ping it.
"Yah!" Hyoyeon squeaked in surprise, "what are you doing?" 

"This is Eunhyuk sunbae's right?" came his response, complete with a childish pout.

A gurgle of laughter escaped her as she ruffled his hair, "Baby! I know you're jealous but it's chilly up here. I might freeze."
His eyes lit up bright enough to provide stiff competition to the twinkling lights behind, "I have a solution!"

Slipping the sweatshirt off her slender shoulders, he pulled her towards the bench.

"Ta da!" he held up a warm looking fleece blanket triumphantly and threw it over himself. Then in one swift motion he pulled her onto his lap and covered them both with the blanket.

All Hyoyeon could do was sigh happily. "Have I told you I'm the luckiest girl in the world?" She interlaced her fingers with his under the blanket and cuddled up to him. "Seriously, when did you do all this?"

"After you left I had a couple of hours to kill. I just knew that you'd come back to me so I wanted to show you that you wouldn't regret your choice," he answered in a bashful voice and Hyoyeon had to blink away her tears.

"Aigoo! Pinch me .. No wait don't! If this is a dream I don't want to wake up!" 
"Don't worry yeobo, you're stuck with me now!"


Hyoyeon leaned her head against his forearm dreamily closing her eyes while Doojoon brushed her hair aside and began kissing a trail along her slender neckline.
"That tickles!" she squealed as his mouth feasted on the curve where her neck met her shoulder. He leaned back to examine the red hickey and grinned, "I hope you own a turtleneck!"



The sun was now halfway through the sky as morning finally set in. The beginning of a new day - and the happy pair couldn't think of a better way to start it.

"Hyo.."
"Mmm?" she purred.
"Which one do you prefer - Namsan Tower or Beast's concert?"
Puzzled by his question, she turned her body to face him. He was grinning from ear to ear, "I was thinking...since I confessed to you through the radio and you did it through the tv, our public confession should be more grand, don't you think?"

"Yah! Don't get any ideas! If this gets out we are both dead."
"Why?" he loved teasing her just to see that adorable look of panic on her face, "I really want to! Should I practise here?"

"Hyoyeonah I love you!" he yelled loudly but the last part came out muffled as her tiny hand desperately tried to cover his mouth.
"Yah what if there are fans waiting outside?"
"Then let them all know that," he raised his voice again, "Kim Hyoyeon is my woman!"

"Ah this boy!" she complained outloud but inside her heart was fit to burst from his love. So she shut him up in the most effective way -

With a kiss.

======================================= The end =============================================

A/N I don't know if you guys noticed but the font for the 'imagination' part was different. i wanted to leave a little clue so you would not feel cheated XD Sorry for the late update. i was trying to emotionally blackmail the author of ESCAPE to update (i'm sure you guys are with me!) but it didn't work :(. But i love you still, authornim XD i didnt want to make you guys wait any longer so i finally posted.

 

Now, it's finally time to say goodbye. Thank you to everyone who read, commented, voted. It was truly appreciated! Since this was a love triangle, I knew that I wouldn't be able to please everybody but I hope you will find that the way that the story ended made sense. It's not something I decided on randomly. Even if HyoHyuk did not end up together, i hope the shippers will not regret reading this story or consider it a waste of their time. DooHyo shippers, i gave you lots of cheesiness at the end. even i was cringing but Hyoyeon deserves all the cheese in the universe:3

goodbye for now and thanks once again.