Hearts are breaking everywhere..

Of crushes and public confessions..

 

Part II


KBS Radio Station:

Eeteuk glanced uneasily at Eunhyuk. Their radio show recording had just ended and Eunhyuk was furiously tapping into his iPhone. He just knew that it had to be about Hyoyeon and the news articles regarding her crush on Strong Heart. 
The broadcast must have ended by now and the videos were probably out too, he thought with dread.

He stood next to his dongsaeng helplessly. 

After about ten minutes and a couple of curse words from Eunhyuk, Eeteuk gently approached him, “Eunhyukkah, I’ll go in your car ok? Let me drive.”
Hyukjae’s eyes blazed with fire, “You don’t have to. I’m perfectly f..” he stopped when Eeteuk laid a supportive hand on his arm. Without another word, he tossed the car keys to him and walked ahead to the parking lot.

The car ride was silent, as was the elevator ride up to their apartment. Eunhyuk stepped out on the 11th floor and halted. With his back turned he whispered, “Thanks hyung.”

Eeteuk let him go. 
He knew that Eunhyuk wanted some space.



********************************

Super Junior's Apartment#2

Rubbing his neck in frustration, Eeteuk strode into his own apartment on the 12th floor. 
The always energetic Donghae almost pounced on him, jumping up and down like an excited puppy, “Teukkie Hyung! You’re back? So Hyukjae is back too, right? Is he downstairs?” He clapped his hands together gleefully, “I have good news for him!” - and all but rushed out. Luckily Eeteuk was able to grab the back of his hoodie.

Donghae pouted, “What did you do that for, Hyung? You almost choked me!”
“Mian,” Eeteuk apologized, and pulled him towards the couch in the living room, “but first, tell me what the good news is.”

There was a pause – Donghae appeared to be having an internal debate – “Fine, I’ll tell you but it’s only because you’re an old man and suspense and excitement is not for your heart.” He poked his tongue out playfully and prepared to duck Eeteuk’s arm but was surprised when the older boy just remained quiet.
“Ok. I’ll be serious. Did you ever think that Hyukjae and Hyoyeonnie still had a thing for each other even though they broke up?” Without waiting for a response, Donghae continued confidently, “I’m sure no one else is so smart but I noticed it hyung, and guess what? It’s true! Hyoyeonnie confessed on Strong Heart. So can I go and tell him now?”
Eeteuk sighed heavily. 

“It’s not him.”
“Huh?” Donghae’s eyes almost bulged out in shock, “But how? It’s totally him – single eyelids, humorous, good dancer!”

Eeteuk frowned – that did sound exactly like Eunhyuk. But it also sounded a lot like Doojoon.

“Just give him some time, ok Donghae-ya?”
Donghae nodded obediently. Apparently there was something else going on that he had no idea about but he trusted Eeteuk so he went back to his own room.



--------------------------------

Almost a week later - SNSD's apartment:

Hyoyeon walked around the empty apartment like a zombie – her head drooping lifelessly, clutching a supersize bag of potato chips and a tub of Ben&Jerry’s in her hands. 
It had been 6 days already since the Strong Heart episode aired and she hadn’t heard a single word from Doojoon.

Day by day, her excitement and expectations had dwindled down to doubt and despair and today, she was finally giving up. Thankfully, all her members were out for various professional and personal reasons so she was completely free to be miserable – keeping up a cheerful appearance the entire week had been exhausting.

“He must be over it already. Idiot Kim Hyo Yeon, you took too long..” Tears dropped into the ice cream. 



-------------------------------

Cube Studios:



When I let go of this hand now
I’ll no longer have any reason to smile but
When I see you smiling
In another’s embrace, I’ll try to smile..

When this door closes
When the image of you disappears
I’ll probably spend the day in tears
Because of the memories with you, I’m left alone
I wish that you’ll be happier



Doojoon examined the lyrics that he had been working on for the past few weeks, scribbling notes here and there, adding a few words and scratching out others.


Over his mp3 player, he could hear s having a quiet conversation. He knew that they had all noticed that he was going through something but thankfully they didn’t try to force it out of him.

When I finally move on, I’ll make it up to them.. he was saying to himself with determination when a word – a name – made him sit up.
Her name.

He turned off his mp3 player and shifted so that he could hear better.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“Yah Dongwoonah, you sure that So nyuh shi dae Hyoyeon doesn’t like Kikwangie?” It was Yoseob.
“Yes, why?” Dongwoon asked, not looking up from his playstation.
“Because,” Yoseob jumped on him eagerly – the way he always did when he knew exciting gossip – “this sounds exactly like Kikwang!” 
Doojoon saw him shove his laptop under Dongwoon’s face.

The maknae’s expression turned confused and he scratched his temple, “I don’t know.. Yoona noona told me that it wasn’t Kwangie hyung and told me to cancel the plan.”

Doojoon couldn’t stand the suspense any longer. He got up and went to sit beside Yoseob, pulling the laptop towards himself.
What had she said?
He scanned the article anxiously.

So Nyuh Shi Dae Hyoyeon confesses that she likes a male idol group member with three distinct characteristics – single eyelids, sense of humor and a good dancer.
It could be Eunhyuk sunbae, a voice told him but a louder more excited voice was saying, It has to be you! Remember the Lotte World date?


----flashback----
“Dance Dance Revolution!” Hyoyeon squealed and bee-lined for the game as soon as they entered the Lotte arcade, dragging Doojoon along since their hands were entwined together.
She shot him a playful smirk, “Up for the challenge?”
He gave her an equally cocky grin, “I was born ready! Bring it, Dancing Queen!”
“Call! Loser buys ice cream.”


Fifteen minutes later, Hyoyeon was sputtering on the floor, tears running down her face “Ok I give up! You win.. ah.. Stop! I can’t breathe..” She mumbled between fits of giggles.
Doojoon finally stopped and walked over to her. Then grabbing her hand, he helped her stand up. “Ice cream time! I’m getting the biggest waffle cone with chocolate and sprinkles and everything else. Prepare to go broke,” he said with a cheeky grin.
She punched him weakly. “My tummy hurts! What do you call that dance?” she asked referring to the comic dance skills that he had just displayed.** 
“Doojoon’s specialty ssanti” he replied, gently wiping away the lingering tears on her cheeks.



They continued to joke around as they dug into their ice cream.
“So Miss Dancing Queen, would you say that I’m a great dancer?”
She nodded enthusiastically. “The greatest!”

“Better than Kikwangie?”
“Of course.”
“Better than Bi sunbaenim?”
“Definitely.”
“Better than Taeyang sunbae?”
“No contest.”
He hesitated for a split second before his next question.. he didn’t want to ruin the mood.. but the childish side of him just had to ask.
“Better than Eunhyuk sunbae?”
Hyoyeon looked a bit surprised to hear his name but covered it up with a hearty laugh, “You, my friend, are the best dancer I have ever seen.”

“Friend?” Turning away exaggeratedly, Doojoon pretended to sob. “I thought I was on a fake date with my fake girlfriend.”
Bursting into laughter, Hyoyeon also played along and dramatically grabbed his arms, “I am so sorry my Dancing King. You are my No. 1 dancer forever. I promise!”


Doojoon abruptly got up from the couch and picking his cellphone off the table, rushed outside.



-----------------------------

Juliette!! ♪ ♫ 

Hyoyeon lazily looked around for her phone which was ringing somewhere to her left.
She had tossed it into the corner when she’d given up on Doojoon and instead embraced two guys named Ben and Jerry.

Juliette!! ♪ ♫ 
It rang again.
The movie she was watching was nearing its highlight and she really didn’t want to leave the warm spot she had carved into the couch.
Maybe I’ll just ignore it…. But what if it’s one of the girls or manager oppas...With a defeated sigh, she blindly reached around the pile of things on the floor until her hands felt the rounded edges of her cellphone.

Her eyes still glued to the TV screen, she pressed the button and answered, “Hello?”
Silence greeted her on the other end.
What the heck.. she muttered in annoyance and increased her volume, “Anyone there?”

She was about to pull the phone away from her ear when – “Hey it’s Doojoon.”
Eyes snapping back, she looked at her phone to check the caller ID. She hadn’t expected his call at all.
“Hello Hyoyeon? You still there?” he asked and she cleared , “Uh yeah.. what’s up?”

It was Doojoon’s turn to take a deep breath and her heart pounded loudly in anticipation, “I’ll get straight to the point. The person you talked about on Strong Heart.. who is it?”
“You” she answered immediately – all the days of waiting and wondering had made her anxious to resolve their situation.
Doojoon let out a deep sigh – was it out of relief or regret? Hyoyeon couldn’t tell and she bit her lower lip nervously.
“And..” he spoke again, very slowly, carefully “what you said.. did you mean it?”

“Yes!” Hyoyeon cried out, “Do you want me to say it again? I..”
“Don’t!” he stopped her before she could finish, “I don’t want to hear it..”



“Oh!” Hyoyeon felt numb. 
“Oh!” she repeated again, unable to think of anything else to say. Her heart was recoiling in her chest and she could feel the telltale lump in growing. It would look even more stupid if she started bawling while he was still on the line so she rapidly stuttered, “Well.. I..I guess that’s ok then.. we..we can still be friends right? Oh no! I should go.. I have um.. a thing.. to do. I.. I’ll talk to you later” - and quickly ended the call.
--------------------------------

 

This is the song that was written by Doojoon and Dongwoon