One.. you make my dreams come true

Of crushes and public confessions..

 

One..
you make my dreams come true


December 2009

As time goes by
Will our memories fade?
Tell me how can you go on, after all that we’ve been through.. ooh ooh ooh
I don’t wanna go on
Without you in my life
Because in my heart I still believe that you will come back to me..


He stopped in his tracks.

The voice was soft but melodic; 
the husky tones lilting in little waves made up for the lack of background music. He was transfixed.
He could actually feel the heartache from the little pauses between lines and how the last word trailed off wistfully.
  
It made him feel a little guilty – like he was encroaching on a private moment.

But at the same time he couldn’t make himself move away from the doorway. 

He hadn’t heard that voice before so it couldn’t be any of the famous female gasoos that frequented the hair salon and he knew that he was one of the select few people who were allowed up on the roof. The head hairstylist noona who gave him her key had promised him that only one other person had a key.

So who was it? One of the employees? 


Curiosity got the better of him so he shifted a little in his spot behind a pillar. The roof of the hair salon was pretty small so he had to be quiet and careful – not really his strong points. 

Her back was facing him as she sat on a bench at the opposite end knees drawn up close to her chest. 

Of course, he scolded himself feeling stupid. It was the middle of winter so anyone who was willingly sitting out in the cold would have to be bundled up. He couldn’t find a single identifiable feature since the hood of her jacket was up.

But the bright orange color of the jacket could be a good clue, he noted, since it wasn’t a very popular color choice amongst girls. 

A girl who doesn’t try to conform, he thought approvingly.

Oh crap! The girl had stopped singing and was standing up. Think fast, he told himself. 
He had two options – Run downstairs and save the awkwardness or stay and find out who it was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April 2010

“Thankyou! You’ve all worked hard,” Hyoyeon gave the staff and guests of SBS’ Strong Heart her signature 90 degree bow, holding Yuri’s hand.

As soon as they were out of earshot Yuri squealed, “Yah! I didn’t know you were going to reveal everything! Silly Choding! Now what will you do when you run into him at the hair salon? You guys aren’t even friends and you already confessed to loving him!” Yuri paused to take a deep breath and calm down her excitement.

Yeah! What is he going to think, Hyoyeon felt her stomach give a little lurch.

“But I’m so proud of you Hyoyeonnie!” Yuri suddenly enveloped her in a bear hug. “Maybe fans will start to become more acceptable of us having boyfriends. Even So Nyuh Shi Dae falls in love! If only I had the courage to do what you just did.” She ended with a wistful smile.

“Yah! It’s never too late! Join me – I’d love to not be the only one getting ‘the talk’ from manager oppas.” Hyoyeon .

As they approached their van, their manager gave Hyoyeon a serious look, “We have to talk!”

With a resigned sigh, Hyoyeon got into her usual seat up front.
During the early days of their debut she had volunteered to sit next to the driver so that she could keep the manager oppas awake while they drove and now it had become a habit.

But the manager stopped her, “You guys were in there for a long time so get some sleep in the back today. I had a nap during recording so don't worry! I’m wide awake.” He gave her a little smile, “You almost gave me a heart attack, kid but we can talk about that tomorrow. Get rested up, ok?” 

“Thanks oppa,” Hyoyeon gave him a grateful hug.
With a pat on her head he ushered her into the backseat.

By the time they had entered the Seoul highway, Yuri was already fast asleep – her tongue sticking out cutely. Hyoyeon leaned over to fix a cushion under her neck and then sank back into her own seat, closed her eyes and started thinking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

December 2009

Hyoyeon's POV


Kim Hyoyeon, get a hold of yourself! You two have been over for 2 years and you’re still getting depressed over him! How pathetic! I scolded myself. But no matter how many times I say it, I just can’t seem to move on.

Maybe it’s because he was my first love… or because even after we broke up, he’s always around, being just as nice to me.. or because I’m an obsessive idiot who can’t accept reality. 
Agh! I don’t understand myself at all! Some days I’m just fine spazzing about G-dragon sunbae or Ryu Seungbum sshi and other days I can’t help being a miserable mess overanalyzing everything little thing I hear about him! What is wrong with me!

This morning I overheard Sooyoung and Sunny talking about Hyukjae oppa mentioning IU again in some interview and how they were acting close on Sukira. 
Of course, I’d be blind not to see all the signs – Hyukjae oppa has been screaming about it from the rooftops for forever- but my stupid heart just. won’t. accept. 

And even when I am ready to finally try, he sends me cute texts like the one this afternoon.

Hyoyeonah, the weather’s really cold these days! I hid a box of ginseng in the closet in the dance room. Eat up. You better not get sick! him nae! *n_n* 
- oppa


Tell me! How am I supposed to move on?

Ah! This won’t do! 
I stood up with resolution and was walking towards the door when I almost collided with something …or rather someone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Ah I’m sorry,” I apologized pulling my hood back and found myself staring into the face of Beast’s leader Yoon DooJoon.

Good thing he looked just as flustered as me.

My mind started racing.
What did I say while I was talking to myself? Did I say Hyukjae oppa or IU’s name outloud? 
Darn it! HyunSeok oppa is so going to pay! I thought he said that this rooftop was private!


Feeling my cheeks burning I decided the best thing to do was run and pretend it never happened.

Except…

Just as I was about to walk away, I felt him grab my wrist lightly.

“Don’t leave on my account!” he said with a sincere smile. “The rooftop’s big enough for two. I won’t bother you, promise!”

Something about his low voice and warm grip made me nod my head and turn around.

As we approached the bench he reached into his jacket and pulled out a can of hot coffee. He offered it to me, “Your hands seem cold.” 

We sat on opposite sides of the bench in silence.. but oddly it was a comfortable familiar kind of silence. 

I closed my eyes and listened to my ipod. 
Loveholic’s Sad Story started playing and without realizing it, tears were falling down my face.

See I told you something is very very wrong with me!

I tried to brush them away quickly praying that Doojoon hadn’t seen them. But even if he did notice, he thankfully didn’t give it away. He had his face turned towards the bright sun but his eyes were closed. 

I took out a pen from my pocket, scribbled a note and left it beside him.

Just as I reached the door, I thought I heard him say “Don’t be sad anymore, Hyoyeon sshi” but I'm not sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doojoon's POV

Yes, I decided to stay and find out.

And you would not believe my shock when I saw who it was.

Her big brown eyes widened in surprise as she ran into me and I felt my breath catch. It was her – So Nyuh Shi Dae’s Hyoyeon right in front of me.

I remember the first time I saw her – really saw her. It was about half a year ago before Beast debuted. Junhyung and I were helping out Kikwang with his activities as AJ and So Nyuh Shi Dae was performing at the same event. 
It wasn’t a good time for me. 
I was on the verge of giving up my dreams. The company had no plans for my debut and seeing 2PM doing so well and thinking that I could have been a part of them was making me depressed. But then, as cheesy as it sounds, I heard So Nyuh Shi Dae singing Him Nae, saw her performing and suddenly I felt a lot more positive.

Did you know that I have a really good memory? I can tell you everything about her that day – the red military style outfit she wore, those turquoise blue heels and how her bangs settled gently over her eyes no matter how many times she twirled around.

Don’t get me wrong! I’m not a stalker but you could say I became a fan of hers that day. The way she smiled regardless of whether it was her part or the fact that she was mostly in the back or the way the camera constantly seemed to overlook her. She was happy and content to be doing what she loved and I realized that I should too. 
Things could be a lot worse.


And now she was standing right in front of me – her cheeks flushed and an adorable embarrassed expression on her face.

She apologized in the same husky sweet voice and turned to leave but I couldn’t let her go just yet.

I don’t know what came over me but I somehow managed to grab her hand and asked her to stay.

Surprisingly, she did. 

Her hands were chilly – probably from being out in the cold. I wanted to warm them up with my own but luckily, common sense took over and I gave her a hot can coffee instead.

We sat in a friendly silence until I heard little sobs. 
Ah! The song she was singing ……. She must be sad over a guy. Whoever it was he must be a really big idiot!

I wanted to reach over and console her but once again I held back. I mean how weird would it be – we just met!

I turned up the sound on my ipod to stop myself from doing something stupid.

When I finally looked over, a little while later, she was leaving.

“Don’t be sad anymore, Hyoyeon shhi” I whispered. I’m not sure she heard me.

I looked to where she had been sitting and saw a note resting under a pink glittery pen.  

Thankyou for the coffee and the company Doojoon shhi. 
It was warm. ..
See you around!
 


I folded the note and put it into my left inner jacket pocket.