The B Word

Before The Dawn

Howon and Sungjong moved into Sungyeol’s house with ease. Their belongings were not plenty and they were settled comfortably in Sungyeol’s mansion by the time Eunhyuk’s ultimatum ended.

Howon felt very much at home at Sungyeol’s since he used to spend much of his time there before they moved in. Sungyeol was overjoyed. He had someone to talk to into the night. The few meals he ate alone weren’t lonely anymore and he had someone to walk him to school.

Woohyun and Myungsoo also visited frequently the first few days to ensure Howon didn’t feel uncomfortable. But Howon looked so natural beside Sungyeol that you’d think they had lived their entire lives together. The only one feeling a bit low was Sungjong. Howon never had spent a lot of time with him but after the move-in, he seemed to have vanished from Howon’s world altogether. He was very happy to see that his brother had accepted the change so gracefully but he couldn’t help feeling a certain loneliness he hadn’t felt before. He never showed it, but sometimes, when Sungyeol and Howon were fooling around the house, Sungjong would sit in his study quietly, holding a book in front of his face and phasing out. On one such occasion, he didn’t notice a figure standing behind him, studying him intently.

“How are you Sungjong?”

Sungjong broke out of his reverie and turned to see Myungsoo standing on the doorway.

“Oh hyung, I’m fine. Why don’t you come in?” Sungjong said cheerfully. His only solace was Myungsoo. He would visit him every day without fail, either at his work or at Sungyeol’s house. Sungjong was extremely grateful to him, but he tried not to express that he was feeling down.

Myungsoo was staring at Sungjong.

“Hyung?” he asked.

Myungsoo sighed and entered the room. He locked the door behind him and then sat down opposite of Sungjong. He looked serious, almost angry.

“Sungjong I asked you a question and I want a truthful answer.”

“I’m fine hyung,” Sungjong repeated firmly, looking confused.

“Are you sure?”

“Of course! Hyung what has gotten into you?”

Myungsoo started laughing.

“You think I didn’t notice? You think I don’t pay attention? What Howon is doing to you is unfair. But you wouldn’t complain, would you?”

“Hyung, it’s natural to be with your friend more than your brother. Sungyeol hyung is a good company for hyung—”

“Sungjong, stop thinking you don’t deserve anything! If I had a brother like you, I would give him the first priority.”

“But you do have a brother, hyung.”

“Huh, Sunggyu? Yeah right, he’s my brother. He’s worse than Howon. So I have been where you are now. Heck what, I’m still there!”

“I have no complaints against Howon hyung whatsoever—”

“Come with me Sungjong. Come home with me. I need you, and I promise I’ll be the one whom you’ll need.”

Sungjong looked at Myungsoo, thinking he was joking. But there wasn’t any trace of insincerity on his face.

“I’m dead serious, Sungjong. Let’s go.”

“Hyung what are you—”

“Sungjong please, I’m tired of seeing you like this. I’m tired of everything. Howon’s my friend but I don’t how to tell him how an older brother should be like. I’m sure he won’t mind if you come with me.”

“B-but—”

“That’s it, let’s go.” Myungsoo grabbed Sungjong’s hand and slammed the door open. He dragged him through the corridors to the game room where Sungyeol, Woohyun and Howon were playing.

“I’m taking Sungjong with me.” Myungsoo announced in a loud voice, catching everyone’s attention at once.

“On a date? Yayy, Myungsoo and Sungjong are finally dayyting! Howon, congrats your brother found a husband!” Sungyeol shouted, jumping up and down with an idiotic smile.

Woohyun looked questioningly at Myungsoo while Howon fidgeted with his game control.

“Shut up you jerkface! I’m taking him to my house. He’s going to live with me from now on.” Myungsoo’s face was determined as he met Howon’s eyes. No one had ever actually seen Myungsoo lose his temper, so they were all stumped, except Sungyeol who had yet to grasp the situation.

“Myungsoo and Sungjongie are gonna live tooogether! Lurv is in the aiiiiir,” Sungyeol slurred.

“Are you drunk? Shut up you baboon!” Woohyun shot at Sungyeol. “Myungsoo what do you mean? I thought we had settled this. You can’t separate the brothers.”

“Brothers? Don’t use the b-word please Woohyun.” Myungsoo scoffed. “I can see what a great brother Howon is. Do you even know that Sungjong had a fever last week? Of course not, you were too busy goofing around with that owl. Do you know Sungjong got hurt while P.E? You were the least bothered to find out why he was limping. You don’t have any right on him. None at all.”

Howon looked flabbergasted. He bit his lips nervously and looked from Sungjong to Sungyeol helplessly.

Woohyun was the first to break the scary silence that had persisted after Myungsoo’s dialogue.

“Howon hasn’t been the best of brothers, I’ll admit it and Sungyeol was tactless as well, I’ll admit it, but you still can’t take Sungjong without Howon’s permission. I can understand if Sungjong wants to go—”

“But I don’t!” Sungjong said loudly. Howon’s grateful eyes darted to his brother’s face. He tried to smile at him, which Sungjong returned.

“Stop this drama! I can’t take it anymore!” Myungsoo screamed at the top his voice.

“Myungsoo what the—”

Everyone looked shocked as Myungsoo’s skin paled. He started shaking and his face was disfigured with rage. He gripped Sungjong’s hand tightly, making him squeal in pain. Woohyun was stepping closer towards Myungsoo when he growled, “Don’t you dare come near us. We’re leaving.”

With that he dragged Sungjong out of the room, while the others looked on, motionless. Sungjong looked back pleadingly and said, “Hyung.” Howon made a sudden motion forward but Sungyeol stopped him.

“Sungjong,” Howon whispered.