Goodbye, Infinite High

Before The Dawn

“Wow, it’s already been two years!” Sungyeol exclaimed.

“Wow, you finally know how many months make a year!” Woohyun retorted.

Myungsoo sighed.

“I can’t believe we’re going to graduate.”

“Don’t believe it yet. Some of us might not make it,” Woohyun said, eyeing Sungyeol meaningfully. They were sitting in their homeroom, which was presently empty. Nothing much had changed in the last two years, except that they were high school seniors now. Their fan clubs had only got bigger and even girls older than them had started calling them ‘oppa’. Hyuna was a lot more attracted to Sungyeol, who had only gotten taller and Woohyun had finally gotten tired of her and had given Sungyeol the permission to kill her. Sungyeol would have actually attempted to if not for Myungsoo and Howon.

“Whoa, two years passed in the blink of an eye,” Howon said, stretching his arms.

Myungsoo made a face.

“Yeah right, do you know how painful it had been living without Sungjong? Every minute feels like a year.”

“Yuck, the lovey-doveys, Myungsoo seriously, spare us!” Sungyeol said hysterically.

“I’m not making out in front you, am I?”

“Don’t you ever make out with my innocent little brother!” Howon threatened.

“Stop being such babies, Howon and Sungyeol,” Woohyun said teasingly. “And your little brother is 16 this year, Howon.”

“Aww my baby’s all grown up!” Howon and Myungsoo exclaimed at the same time. Sungyeol and Woohyun laughed.

“A brother and a lover—the worst combination possible,” Woohyun said dramatically.

Sungyeol said, pretending to be scared, “Please don’t stab each other. Think about Sungjong. He only has the two of you.”

Myungsoo and Howon looked at each other.

“You guys are forgetting something,” Myungsoo said.

“What?” Woohyun asked with a frown.

Howon smiled.

“I might be Sungjong’s brother and Myungsoo might be Sungjong’s lover but above all, we are friends, Myungsoo and I. Friends till eternity.”

“And even if all relationships become lies, we will still be friends,” Myungsoo said, putting his arm around Howon.

Sungyeol was teary-eyed as he said, “I know guys. We’ll always be friends.”

Woohyun nodded. 

 

Woohyun’s prediction turned out wrong and Sungyeol graduated. All of them did. Of course Woohyun, as expected, came out to be the top student. Howon and Myungsoo didn’t do bad either. In fact, Myungsoo came second to everyone’s utter amazement, while Sungyeol barely scraped by.

Woohyun was the valedictorian for their Class and gave a long speech on their Graduation Day, through which he managed to bore even the teachers. The Principal had a fake smile plastered on his face as Woohyun rambled on and on. The students were jittery, but the girls stared at him longingly.

“Procrastination is a sin; the dysfunctional hierarchy that deters…”

“What the hell is he saying?” Howon asked Myungsoo, who shrugged.

“…and purge the school of blasphemous infamy…”

Sungyeol said, “All I’m hearing is orgesmord porgesmord and borgesmord.”

“The fulfilling life, the distinctive life, the relevant life is an achievement…”

“I can’t take it anymore, seriously. Even thinking about Sungjong is not a strong enough distraction,” Myungsoo said.

Towards the end of the speech, Woohyun started shedding tears.

“And my life in school and my life in general would be incomplete without my friends who gave me tremendous support. Everyone says, school is your second home; but for me, school was my first home and my friends are my family. Myungsoo, Howon and Sungyeol—you guys are the best part of me. And-and Sungyeol…”

Sungyeol froze. He, Myungsoo and Howon were looking at Woohyun expectantly; Sungyeol with a frown and Myungsoo and Howon with knowing smiles.

“Sungyeol, if not for you, I would be a living dead. This wouldn’t be life without you. Thank you.”

Myugsoo and Howon hooted and clapped, standing on their chairs. Sungyeol sat, dumbstruck.

“Finally, I want to thank Sungjong, who’s not here today; he taught me the meaning of being a younger brother.” Woohyun winked at Howon and waved at Dongwoo, who was sitting on the front row with Mr. Nam, clapping and hooting excitedly after very sentence Woohyun uttered.

“That’s my brother! My kid brother! Doesn’t he look very big and important?” he shouted every now and then to the other parents and siblings who shot him weird looks.

“I don’t know what you meant when you used those big words but you were awesome!” Dongwoo told Woohyun after the speech.

“Thanks hyung,” mumbled Woohyun, trying not to look too embarrassed.

“You were cool man,” Howon said, thumping his back.

“And you mentioned us as well, and Sungjong too. You’re the best!” Myungsoo said.

“To tell the truth, that’s the only part of the speech we understood,” Howon admitted.

Sungyeol remained silent, staring at the ground. Woohyun stole a glance at him and said loudly, “So, where’s the party tonight?”

“My place,” Sungyeol said quietly. Woohyun looked at him and he raised his head at the exact moment and their eyes met. It was for a fraction of second but each of them saw gratitude in the other’s eyes. That was all the communication they needed.

The girls of their class crowded around them, some crying hysterically, others forcing flowers and their phone numbers on them.

“Please call me, Woohyun!” they chanted. “Don’t forget me, Howon.”

“Let’s meet after this Sungyeol.”

“Myungsoo, please update your twitter, please!”

“Oh no, clear this area please,” An irritated voice said. Sunggyu appeared with a boquet of flowers, eying the girls sternly.

“Ooh, he’s so handsome, is he a dad?”

“I hope he’s single. Should I ask him?”

“Excuse me,” Sunggyu said loudly and shot the girls a dangerous glare before giving Myungsoo the bouquet. “Congratulations!”

“Thanks,” Myungsoo said, blushing.

“Oh no, he’s Myungsoo oppa’s dad?”

“Hmm…good looks run in the family!”

“But he looks so young…”

“Stupid, he’s his brother. He’s the world famous Kim Sunggyu, a genius professor and he’s only 25!”

“Didn’t he just attend the biggest physicist’s conference on earth?”

“Yeah, so handsome!”

“Girls, move over!” Sunggyu raised his voice and the girls backed away, reluctantly, eyeing their circle longingly.

 Sunggyu smiled at Myungsoo. “I’m so proud of you, Myungsoo. And guess what, a letter came from Imperial today. You got accepted.”

“I did?” Myungsoo asked, shocked. He looked at Sunggyu. The happiness in his eyes was so real that he knew he wasn’t lying. He knew Sunggyu was restraining himself; otherwise he would be waltzing around happily. It had been his dream to see his brother at one of the top universities of the world.

“All right Myungsoo!” Sungyeol and Howon grabbed Myungsoo’s shoulder while Woohyun ruffled his hair.

“I didn’t know you were this ambitious.” Sungyeol eyed him with surprise.

“Ambitious, my foot! He just wants to be with Sungjong, that’s why he worked his off for this,” Woohyun said, poking Myungsoo’s cheek.

“So that’s the mystery,” Sunggyu said. “I was wondering why Myungsoo was studying through the night. I have so much to thank Sungjong for.”

“Wait, does this mean you’re leaving as well?” Howon asked, his smile faltering.

“Umm…yes, I guess.”

Wooyun and Sungyeol stopped smiling.  They exchanged looks.

“Oh, then it will only be the two of you here,” Sungyeol said.

“Right,” Woohyun said, looking away.

Sungyeol’s father had called a month ago to let him know that his mother had arranged a place for Sungyeol at Paris University. He would have to leave soon after he would graduate. Sungyeol had protested at first but after discussing it with Woohyun, Myungsoo and Howon, who had all vehemently encouraged him to go, he gave in.

“I don’t know if I should say I’m the lucky one because I get to keep Woohyun,” Howon said. “Please don’t tell me you have been offered a place at Antarctica, Woohyun.”

“Nope, I’ll be here in good old Krorea.”

“Let’s go home guys,” Myungsoo said in a cheery voice, trying to lift up the mood. “Party, remember?”

“Can I come with you?” Dongwoo asked excitedly.

“Sure hyung.”

“And can Prof. Sunggyu come as well?” Dongwoo asked hopefully.

“No, no I—”

“Hyung please!” Woohyun pouted.

“Oh alright,” Sunggyu was defeated.

“Have fun kids, and no drinking,” Mr. Nam said.

“We will, don’t worry.”