Love Song

Before The Dawn

That Winter drove in a harsh bout of cold waves and an excited Sungjong.

“Hyung, hyung, hyung!” Sungjong shouted, almost dancing with happiness. That week, he was staying at Sungyeol’s place but Myungsoo was there as well since Sunggyu had permitted him to do his homework with them.

At the moment, Sungyeol was lying on the couch, a book covering his face and Myungsoo was sitting on his stomach, his feet resting on Woohyun’s head. Woohyun was sitting against the couch, his feet in Howon’s lap. Shinwoo sat at one side, his head in his knees, dozing off.

Woohyun was explaining something to Howon eagerly, making elaborate gestures. However, Howon was distracted by the giggling couple on the couch. Myungsoo was prodding Sungyeol, who was pulling his hair and both were trying to snigger noiselessly and failing miserably.

When Sungjong sailed in through the door, Woohyun stopped and Howon looked relieved for the interruption.

“Why are so excited Sungjongie? Did someone propose to you?” Sungyeol asked.

Myungsoo elbowed Sungyeol, drawing out a cry.

“Hyung, remember that scholarship I applied for? I got it!” Sungjong said excitedly, running to hug Howon.

But Wooyun got up before him and hugged Sungjong, patting his back enthusiastically. “Well done, that’s my boy. Didn’t I help you study for this?”

“Erm, yes,” Sungjong said. Woohyun had offered to help Sungjong as well but it was pretty clear he needed no help. So instead of teaching him anything, he rambled on about how good he was in Physics and what compliments he had received from his teachers. This meant he wouldn’t bother Howon and Sungyeol for the time; this was a golden opportunity for them so they started saying Sungjong needed Woohyun’s help whenever it was study time. However Woohyun caught their game in a week but it was fun for them while it had lasted.

“That’s so great Sungjongie,” Howon said, hugging him as well.

“Yay, our Sungjongie is a genius!” Sungyeol chanted.

“I’m so proud of you,” Myungsoo said, getting up from the couch and pulling Sungjong into a hug. He didn’t let go until Sungyeol pried him away.

“So you get buttloads of money?” Sungyeol asked.

“No,” Sungjong said. “I get to study at Imperial College for four years at no cost.”

“There isn’t an Imperial College in Korea.” Sungyeol frowned.

“No, of course not, it’s in London, England.”

“That’s so cool you get to go abroad!” Woohyun said.

“Wow Sungjongie, this has been your dream right?” Howon asked proudly. His eyes were shining and he felt his chest expand with elation.

“Yes hyung. Since I was 7.” Sungjong was in tears.

“Y-you’re leaving?” Myungsoo’s voice was almost inaudible.

Sungjong suddenly looked very guilty. “I-I’m sorry hyung , but yes I’ll be leaving for a while.”

“You promised me you’ll stay.”

“Oh don’t be such a killjoy Myungsoo,” Sungyeol said. “He’ll be back.”

Myungsoo exited the room silently. Sungjong bit his lips.

“He’ll come around,” Howon said, rubbing Sungjong’s shoulder.

“He just needs some time to absorb the news.” Woohyun nodded encouragingly.

“I hope so.”

“Come on now, this deserves a party!” Sungyeol shouted loudly. They all agreed.

“What about Myungsoo?” Howon asked.

“I’ll get him,” Woohyun said.

“Hyung maybe I should do it?” Sungjong offered timidly.

Sungyeol and Woohyun nodded. Sungjong left the room while they started to discuss about the party.

“Where could he be?” Sungjong wandered as he walked along the long corridors. He hadn’t expected Myungsoo to react this way. When he had pictured the scene, all his hyungs were congratulating him with happy faces.

He’s not in the game room, or the bed room, where is he?

Sungjong thought that if he was to comb the entire mansion, it would take him two days.

Wait, maybe the greenhouse? No one goes in there at this time.

The greenhouse was situated away from the main building. It was covered in glass and the door to it was never locked. Myungsoo had once told him that he liked it there because so much oxygen helped his mind to clear.

Well, I was right.

The door to the greenhouse was ajar. Someone was definitely in there.

“Hyung,” Sungjong called out softly.

“Here,” Myungsoo’s voice replied. He was sitting cross-legged on the floor. By the dim light of the greenhouse, Sungjong could see tear-stains on his face.

“Hyung I’m sorry.” Sungjong sat down beside him and took his hand in his ones.

“No, I’m sorry. I ruined your happy moment.” He tried to move away his hand but Sungjong just tightened his grip on it.

“Hyung, it’s a temporary thing. I’ll come back.”

“That’s not the problem Sungjongie.”

“Then what is the problem?” Myungsoo remained silent.

Sungjong sighed.

“Hyung please help me to understand. Maybe I can make it better.”

“You’ll forget me.”

“Hyung I could never. I won’t forget any of you.”

“You’ll find new friends—and you’d kiss them.” Myungsoo looked down as he said the words.

“No hyung, I’m seriously not into relationships.” Sungjong chuckled.

“Really? You’ll remember me?” Myungsoo asked, looking up hopefully.

“Of course. There is no way I can forget you, Howon hyung, Woohyun and Sungyeol hyungs. Not even Dongwoo and Sunggyu hyungs.”

“Oh you mean that.” Myungsoo looked down again.

“What hyung? I still don’t understand. You know I don’t lie and I swear I won’t forget you.”

“Sungjong, don’t you really know what I want?” Myungsoo sounded desperate.

“What is it hyung, tell me.”

“I want you to think specially of me, love me a bit more than the others, think about me a bit more. I want you to tell me to stay when I’m leaving and be there when I need you. I want you to lose yourself in my arms, find yourself when you look in my eyes. I want you to miss me when I’m not around and kiss me when no one’s looking.”

“H-hyung?”Myungsoo was looking at Sungjong expectantly. “I-I don’t know.”

Myungsoo’s face fell as Sungjong looked away.

“I don’t know what you mean but I won’t forget you. Let’s go hyung, everyone’s waiting.”

Myungsoo nodded. Sungjong got up and extended an arm towards him. Myungsoo took it but he lost balance and fell on Sungjong. He had put his hand under Sungjong’s head so that he wouldn’t get hurt. Sungjong blushed heavily. “You did that on purpose hyung.”

“Of course, the movies had to teach me something.” Myungsoo gazed into Sungjong’s eyes intensely. He let his nose touch Sungjong’s.

“If you dare to forget me, I swear I’ll find you and do worse things to you,” he whispered huskily.

“I said I wouldn’t!” Sungjong protested.

“Good boy,” Myungsoo said and pecked him on the lips.

“What was that for?” Sungjong asked, getting up from the floor.

“Just making sure your first kiss is not a drunk stranger in a notorious London pub.” Myungsoo winked.

“You know I wouldn’t.”

“Now I know.”