What Friends Are

Before The Dawn

“All right. I won again!” Sungyeol shouted, falling back into Howon’s bed.

“Just because Howon went easy on you!” Woohyun scoffed, looking at the TV screen sourly and throwing down his joystick. The video game set was actually a gift from Sungyeol to Howon on his last birthday.

“Oh please, Howon wouldn’t do that,” said Sungyeol, laughing. “Admit it, you’re just a sore loser!”

“Guys, break it up,” said Howon lightly, throwing down his own joystick and slumping down beside Sungyeol.

“Is Myungsoo done playing that stupid game?” asked Sungyeol. “I can’t believe he’s spending his Sunday on chess!”

Myungsoo and Sungjong were in the dining room, playing chess. It was customary for the four friends to spend their Sundays at one of their houses so that they could gather at a different house every week. This week, it was Howon’s turn to host the party. They all knew that Howon couldn’t afford all the luxurious treats that Sungyeol could but they never complained. They had come early today to find Sungjong cleaning the apartment thoroughly while Howon flipped the channels on the TV lazily.

It was a small apartment. There was only one bedroom which Howon and Sungjong shared and an attached bathroom. The only other room of the apartment was a part-kitchen-part-dining room. A small empty space that the main door led up to had a three-sitter sofa and was used as a make-shift living room.

Sungyeol could barely hold his tongue when he found Sungjong, who had opened the door for them, in an apron with a duster in one hand and a bottle of cleaner on the other. It was after Myungsoo had glared at Sungyeol for five minutes that he stopped teasing Sungjong and stomped into Howon’s bedroom, gleefully telling him that Sungjong would make a ‘good wife’. 

While Sungyeol, Howon, Woohyun and Myungsoo chatted and had toast in the bedroom, Sungjong dusted the entire house until it was spick and span. He then showered and asked his brother’s friends if they wanted to play chess, which was the only board game he owned. While Sungyeol rolled his eyes at him and Woohyun looked at Howon with a raised eyebrow, Myungsoo jumped up from the bed and offered to play with him.

“You’re kidding me right? That’s an old man’s game. We’re not even retired!” Sungyeol shouted indignantly.

“Do you even know how to play chess, Myungsoo?” asked Woohyun, eyeing him suspiciously.

“Of course I do, I’ve played it countless times,” said Myungsoo quickly.

“Erm, I don’t think we’ve ever played chess before Myungsoo,” said Howon skeptically.

“Sunggyu taught-I mean my hyung taught me how to play,” said Myungsoo, looking at the ground.

“Then you must be really good, hyung,” said Sungjong excitedly.

“Er…yeah I’m not bad,” said Myungsoo.

The ‘not bad’ turned out to be ‘hopelessly horrible’ once they started playing. It was clearly evident from the games that Myungsoo knew nothing about chess. He kept on making invalid moves which Sungjong had to stop. When Myungsoo lost the first 3 rounds in less than 3 minutes, Sungjong sighed and said, “You’ve never played before hyung, have you?”

“Umm, maybe…not? I wasn’t paying attention when Sunggyu was trying to teach me.”

“Sunggyu hyung, you mean. Ok, but it’s never too late to learn. Do you want me to teach you?”

“Sure, I always wanted to learn, just not from Sunggyu…hyung,” Myungsoo said and bit his lip immediately. He didn’t like lying to Sungjong but he didn’t want to let this opportunity of spending time with Sungjong go. Sungjong started to explain to him, naming each of the pieces and placing them on the chessboard. Myungsoo lost himself in Sungjong’s gestures and was entranced by his voice—soft and clear.

Sungjong is so nice and understanding. Sunggyu would have been completely horrible if I had asked him to explain anything I didn’t know. I would have to answer a load of questions about why hadn’t I learnt it before, why I wanted to learn it now, why did I go to him instead of someone else etc etc. Being with Sungjong was so easy and comfortable that I sometimes feel as if I should own him.


After half an hour, Myungsoo was starting to get the hang of the game. All this time, the others were playing video games noisily which made it difficult for Myungsoo to concentrate. At times he felt like scolding them for being inhumanly loud but since Sungjong didn’t seem to mind, Myungsoo didn’t want an excuse to get away from him. The next disturbance to the game came in the form of a knock at the door.

“I ordered pizza, it must be them,” said Sungyeol, dashing towards the door even before Sungjong could look up from the chessboard.

“Oh, erm who are you?” Sungyeol asked at the door, rather rudely, Myungsoo thought. Sungjong joined him and gently nudging him away, he bowed to the middle-aged man standing at the door looking slightly bewildered.

“You have friends over Sungjong,” he said.

“Er, yeah my brother’s friends,” Sungjong said. “Come in Eunhyuk ajhussi. Were we too loud? I’m really sorry. We were just a bit too excited.”

Myungsoo stared at Sungjong.

Sungjongie hadn’t made a single noise! What is he apologizing for?

“No, no it’s ok. I just wanted to have a word with Howon. Is he available?” Eunhyuk asked.

“Yes, I’ll call him,” said Sungjong and turned around to see Howon. “Oh, hyung’s here.”

“Howon, it will take just a minute if you could come out.”

“Sure Eunhyuk ajhussi,” said Howon stepping out of the room, motioning for the others to continue inside as he closed the door behind him.

“Who’s he?” asked Sungyeol.

“Our landlord,” said Sungjong, looking worried. “We’ve already paid the rent. What could he possibly want?”

“Sshh,” said Sungyeol. “You can hear them if you’re really quiet. He pressed his ear against the door with a look of extreme concentration.

“E-eavesdropping?” asked Sungjong fearfully. “T-that’s not r-right.”

“Oh shut up!” whispered Sungyeol, motioning Myungsoo to join him. Myungsoo slowly trudged over to join Sungyeol, feeling immensely guilty due to the scandalized look on Sungjong’s face.

“What are you guys-oh!” Woohyun had come to see what took them so long. Watching Sungjong, Sungyeol and Myungsoo leaning against the door with frowns on their faces, he ran noiselessly to join them. What he heard made his blood run cold. Howon’s voice was pleading, as if he was holding back tears—something he had never heard before.

“Please, ajhussi at least give us a week,” Howon said. “What am I going to do? We don’t have any relatives in Seoul. And my brother, he’s—I really don’t care about myself but Sungjongie—”

“I’m sorry Howon. I need money too and this man is willing to pay a huge sum and he wants the apartment in three days. I really can’t let this offer go.”

“B-but I-I…”

“I’m sorry Howon. I feel really sorry for you guys but there’s nothing I can do. You have three days.”

Myungsoo unknowingly gasped loudly. He couldn’t speak, as if something was stuck in his throat. He, Sungyeol and Woohyun exchanged fearful glances. Sungyeol made to open the door but Woohyun stopped him.

“Not now, he needs some time before he can face us,” whispered Woohyun. Myungsoo agreed with him. Howon had pride and he would never like it if they pitied him. In their many years together, Howon has been able to stick with them because they always sympathized with him, but never pitied him.

“Ok, for now we stay put. But I hope he doesn’t do anything stupid,” whispered Sungyeol. They heard the footsteps of the landlord disappear and Howon’s following them.

“So what do we-oh Sungjong!” Woohyun cried.

Myungsoo’s heart stopped for a minute as he saw the white-faced Sungjong, who had slid on to the floor, looking like a lifeless doll. Tears were running down his cheeks, while he trembled from head to foot.

“Sungjongie, don’t worry, I’ll take you with me. Both of you. You don’t have to worry about a thing. You can stay at my house forever. I have spare bed rooms. I’ll share my room with you. Everything will be all right,” Myungsoo said desperately, as he wiped the tears from Sungjong’s eyes.

“I think I should take them with me,” said Woohyun.

“I practically have an empty mansion,” said Sungyeol. "They can have two bed rooms each.”

“It’s no time to show off Sungyeol,” said Woohyun stiffly.

“You think I’m showing off! I love them as much as any of you,” Sungyeol retorted.

“I-you-oh forget it, for now let’s take care of Sungjong. Howon will be even more hurt if he sees Sungjong in this condition,” said Woohyun, sitting down beside Myungsoo.

“It’s ok, I’ve got him,” said Myungsoo.

He had his arms wrapped protectively around Sungjong and unconsciously he moved him away from Woohyun slightly, as if moving him out of harm’s way. Woohyun noticed the possessiveness in Myungsoo’s actions and decided that it was best to leave Sungjong to Myungsoo for the moment. They were all equally shaken and Woohyun knew he was the only one who could take a cool-headed decision in this situation. He gave Myungsoo a reassuring nod and said quietly to Sungjong, “Look here, Sungjongie, I don’t know how much you know about our friendship but as long as any one of us has a roof above their head, no one will be homeless. We are more than friends, we are family and we’ve never thought about you in a different light.”

“That’s right Sungjongie,” Myungsoo whispered in his ears. “Don’t you worry about a thing.”

“M-my h-hyung,” Sungjong finally gasped, looking worried.

Woohyun smiled a little.

“It’s ok, Howon wouldn’t do anything stupid. He just needs to compose himself. I’m going to call him but let’s pretend for now we didn’t hear anything. For his sake, please Sungjongie, can’t you be braver?”

“I-I’ll try,” said Sungjong, hiding his face in Myungsoo’s shoulder.

Woohyun motioned Myungsoo to take him inside as the bell rang, making Sungyeol, who was leaning against the door, jump.

“It’s the pizza finally,” Sungyeol mumbled, opening the door and paying for the home delivery.

Woohyun walked over to the dining table and threw himself into a chair, putting his feet up on the table. Sungyeol went into the bedroom to give Myungsoo and Sungjong a box of pizza before returning to the dining room and taking the seat opposite from Wooohyun.

“Now what?” he asked, opening a pizza box.

“I call Howon,” sighed Woohyun. Sungyeol nodded and started to bite at a piece of pizza. He wasn’t worried about Howon and Sungjong because he would be more than happy to have them at his house but knowing the stubborn Howon, he knew it would be a difficult feat to convince him to take such a direct help.

“He’s not picking up.” Woohyun’s voice roused Sungyeol from his thoughts.

“As expected,” he replied.

“You try,” Woohyun said, helping himself to a slice. He watched as Sungyeol dialed clumsily only for the rings to die out without being answered.

“I’ll text him,” said Sungyeol, sighing. “Like I don’t know anything and am just worried about him being out so long.”

Woohyun nodded.

Since when is Sungyeol this smart?

He looked at Sungyeol thoughtfully, who was chewing his pizza and texting furiously as if his life depended on it.

We all love Howon but can it be that Sungyeol has a slight special affection for Howon? Or maybe it’s the other way round. We can all provide for Howon and Sungjong but I think Sungyeol needs them the most. He does live practically alone. It would be doing him a huge kindness letting Howon and Sungjong live with him. Maybe this once, for everyone’s sake, I should back off.

“This guy knows how to piss me off,” huffed Sungyeol, throwing his cell phone onto the table. “He’s turned off his cell phone!”

 “Sungjong fell asleep,” said Myungsoo, coming out of the bedroom and taking a seat beside Woohyun.

“He’s distraught. He’s so young and now this,” said Woohyun with a sigh.

“I’m not going to let this affect him,” said Myungsoo quietly. “I’m taking them to my place.”

Sungyeol was going to open his mouth but Woohyun beat him to the chase.

“Umm Myungsoo, I think it’s best if we let Sungyeol take them. What are you going to tell Sunggyu?”

Sungyeol looked gleeful and surprised at the same time. Woohyun never let him take anything without a fight but this time—

Maybe he knows, maybe he cares…

“I’ll manage him,” said Myungsoo, ducking his head. “Don’t worry, it wouldn’t be any trouble for me.”

“Myungsoo listen,” Woohyun said, leaning forward to take his hand. “Howon and Sungjong will be the least bother in Sungyeol’s house. No, let me finish first,” he added sternly as Myungsoo was about to open his mouth furiously. “Think about Howon and Sungjong, they will feel uncomfortable with other people around. This is a big deal. At Sungyeol’s place, there won’t be anyone to pity them or anything. Our family members have the best interest at their hearts but Howon and Sungjong might feel like they are a burden.”

“Wow, you’re a smooth talker,” said Sungyeol with a smile.

“I guess I understand, but…”

“No buts, it’s for the best,” said Woohyun.

“But—”

“Not the B-word again Myungsoo.”

“No just listen. Sungyeol, you have to promise me that you wouldn’t tease Sungjongie or say anything that hurts him. Do you understand?” Myungsoo glared at Sungyeol, who was taken aback, but laughed all the same.

“All right, all right, I’ll treat him like a goddess, ok?”

“I’m serious about this, Sungyeollie.”

“I know, Myungsoo, don’t worry.”

“That’s settled then,” said Woohyun with a sigh of relief. He was getting up from his seat when a knock was heard at the door.

“I’ll get it,” said Myungsoo, while Sungyeol and Woohyun arranged their facial expressions.

“Howon, where were you? We were so worried!” Myungsoo said, hugging him tightly.

“I-er, sorry guys, I just remembered Jay ajhussi had told me to meet him today so erm I went to see him,” said Howon. His eyes looked slightly red but otherwise nothing betrayed his emotions.

“Oh right,” said Woohyun, looking at Sungyeol warningly. “We saved you pizza.”

“Where’s Sungjong?” asked Howon, looking around.

“He fell asleep,” Myungsoo replied.

“Yeah the game with Myungsoo was that boring,” Sungyeol chuckled.

“I’m sorry I ruined our day guys,” said Howon apologetically.

“That’s nothing Howon. We still have the whole night to party,” said Sungyeol enthusiastically.

“I can’t stay,” Woohyun said with a sigh. “Curfew at 9 o’ clock, remember? We have school tomorrow.”

“I’ll stay,” said Sungyeol and Myungsoo at the same time.

“Myungsoo, you should come with me. Sunggyu will be worried.’

“Don’t care,” Myungsoo replied curtly. Woohyun let it go.

“Ok then. See you tomorrow guys. And Howon-” Woohyun opened his mouth as if he wanted to say something serious. For a second, a flash of sadness crept into his eyes. “Sweet dreams.”

Howon nodded and then smiled a little.