Midnight Tales

Before The Dawn

Woohyun lay awake on his bed. Although he was tired to the bones, he couldn’t sleep. He knew that one other person under the same roof was also awake.

That stupid Sungyeol! Why did he have to stay? He can’t sleep anywhere properly apart from his home, he knows that well. He’ll be awake the whole night. And who can sleep with Dongwoo hyung beside them? He snores! He knows all of this and still he stayed. Does he do that simply to annoy me? I wish I could kick him out of the house right now!

Woohyun turned to his side and saw the moonlight filtering in through his window. He bit his lips.

Aargh, it’s no good.

He sat up in his bed. Cursing himself inwardly, he put on his slippers and tiptoed out of his room. Dongwoo slept like a log of wood but Mr. Nam was a very sensitive sleeper. Woohyun was careful not to disturb Mr. Nam’s sleep and not being as clumsy as Dongwoo, he managed to reach his brother’s bed room noiselessly while shooting nervous glances towards Mr. Nam’s bed room.

Thank God hyung sleeps with his door open.

He pushed the door inward and the little creak alerted Sungyeol that he wasn’t the only one awake. He knew it could only be Woohyun and pretended to be asleep under his covers.

“Look, I’m not stupid,” said Woohyun quite loudly when he reached the bed. He knew nothing could wake Dongwoo up. “Get up and come with me.”

He waited for two minutes before Sungyeol got up and followed him to his bed room. He was still wearing his spoiled school uniform from before. Once inside, Woohyun took out a pair of sweat pants and a T-shirt from his wardrobe and threw them at Sungyeol.

Sungyeol immediately pulled off his uniform and changed. As much as he didn’t like to admit, he had known that Woohyun would save him from Dongwoo’s snores at one point. Although he was happy that Woohyun had come to his senses before any permanent damage occurred to his ear drums.

“You could have asked Dongwoo hyung for some clothes. You know you feel uncomfortable in the school uniform,” Woohyun muttered.

“Yes I know,” Sungyeol said. “But Dongwoo hyung is even shorter than you so…”

Woohyun sat down on his bed and asked, “How did you know where to find me?”

Sungyeol jumped onto the bed which made a loud creaking noise.

So Woohyunnie is not in the mood for a little fight. Too bad, it would have been fun.

Grabbing Woohyun’s pillow he said, “The same way you knew I was awake.”

Woohyun made a ‘tsk’ noise, certainly not happy with the answer. He made to take away his pillow from Sungyeol’s clutches but he turned around from Woohyun with the pillow.

“I did forget in the morning but then I suddenly remembered it was your oemma’s death anniversary,” Sungyeol said after some time.

Woohyun remained silent. Sungyeol continued, “You didn’t have to leave school. You could have gone there after school was over. You could have asked Myungsoo and Howon. They would have been glad to accompany you. They do it every year. I go with you every year. You could have gone with your appa and Dongwoo hyung in the morning before school. Why did you have to do it alone?”

“I was missing her. And I didn’t want to share her with anyone. Not even Dongwoo hyung or appa. For all I know, I might lose them someday as well. And you people too.”

“Isn’t that what we’re all scared of? Being alone?”

“Is it? I thought it’s just me.”

“Nope, happens to me all the time.”

Woohyun didn’t protest because he knew Sungyeol, of all the people, would know how he felt.

Howon had accepted his fate but for some reason, we can’t. We keep fearing and hiding and fearing…

“That reminds me, I didn’t tell Jungmin hyung I was going to spend the night here. He must be worried sick. He has been calling since school ended and I didn’t pick up once. And now my battery has run out.”

“You can use mine if you want.”

“Nah, I’ll just explain everything to him tomorrow. He might have called Myungsoo and found out anyways.”

“He likes Myungsoo a lot.”

“He likes everyone more than me. Even you.”

“That’s not true. You know that.”

“So, what are you going tell the sunsaengnims? About running away?”

“I don’t know.” Woohyun stifled a yawn. “What happened to Sungjong by the way?”

Sungyeol sighed and turned around to face Woohyun. “He was sick earlier. I had to take him home from the restaurant.”

“Is he going to be ok?” Woohyun sounded worried.

“Yeah, Myungsoo’s all over him I assure you. In a good way, I mean.”

“Then he’ll be fine. And then there’s Howon. Besides, Myungsoo likes Sungjongie a lot. I guess he always wanted a younger brother.”

“Are you sure though? I mean, sometimes Myungsoo’s so overboard that I can’t help but feel he’s romantically attached—”

“Nonsense! You know Sunggyu hyung gives him a lot of pressure. That’s why he wants an adorable maknae like Sungjong who would fawn over him. What about tomorrow though? Your parents are coming?”

“Nope,” said Sungyeol, yawning. “Wake me up early tomorrow, ok?”

“Do I look like your personal butler?” scoffed Woohyun.

“No, you look like a very disgruntled Nam Woohyun.”

“Good, that means I’m back to my senses. So I’ll go to sleep now.”

There was no response.

“Fine sleep then, if you can.”

Woohyun was about to turn around when Sungyeol moved groggily.

“Yah, yah, don’t put your feet up on me,” Woohyun shouted. “Stay away from me I said. Aargh, move your giant leg.”

Woohyun was trying to push Sungyeol off but then realized he was asleep already.

He groaned, “Aargh, Sungyeol, this is why I don’t want to sleep with you. You should have gone home.”