Family

Before The Dawn

Howon did not turn up at school the next day. Myungsoo, Woohyun and Sungyeol knew it must be because he was looking for a new apartment. They called him repeatedly and texted him to no avail.

“What do we do? It doesn’t seem like he’ll ask for our help,” said Myungsoo worriedly.

“I don’t understand. He’s supposed to tell us everything. We have no secrets among us,” said Sungyeol frowning.

“Let’s check the restaurant after school. Sungjong will definitely be there. Maybe he knows,” Woohyun said.

However, even Sungjong didn’t know where Howon was.

“He left before me today. He said he needs to take care of something. He’s scared and worried and it’s because of me,” Sungjong said, wiping he tears from his eyes while Myungsoo gently patted his back.

“Don’t worry Sungjongie, everything’s going to be ok,” said Myungsoo, offering him his drink.

“I’ll call Howon again,” said Sungyeol. He dialed the number and waited. This time there was a response.

“Hello.”

“Howon, thank God! Where have you been all day? We’re worried sick. We got out of school and started searching for you—”

“Sungyeol are you alone?”

“I…am.” Sungyeol picked up the hint from Woohyun who had heard everything through the speaker and nodded slowly.

“Can you come to the park? The one beside the school. I-I need to talk to you.”

“Umm, ok I’ll be there in 5 minutes. Don’t run off anywhere ok?”

“Ok. And don’t tell Myungsoo or Woohyun or Sungjongie. Please.”

“Ok Howon.”

As the line went dead, everyone let out a collective breath which they didn’t know they were holding.

“This is sad, he trusts you the most?” Woohyun asked Sungyeol with a disappointed look.

“Hehe, I knew it,” Sungyeol said smugly.

“Don’t fool around here, go!” Myungsoo said.

“Oh right, see you later guys.”

 

Sungyeol was panting when he reached the park. He had decided to run to the park which, now it seemed, not a very good idea.

“H-Howon,” he huffed. “What’s wrong?”

Howon was sitting on one of the benches with his head in his hand. He didn’t look up when Sungyeol sat down beside him.

“Howon, what is it?” he asked.

In a muffled voice, Howon recounted how the landlord had given him an ultimatum of three days to move out of their apartment.

“I tried everywhere. I can’t find anything. What will happen to Sungjong?” Howon asked desperately.

“I’m offended Howon,” Sungyeol said calmly.

“What?” Howon finally looked up, curious.

“Yes I’m offended. How can you even think, knowing you have us, that you’ll ever be homeless?”

“I-I—”

“No Howon, we’ve never thought about Sungjong as someone apart from our family. We are a family, Howon. I thought you knew.”

"I'm sorry. I was so worried that I forgot."

“Get up and let’s go. You have to pack your things. I’ll tell Jungmin hyung to send a truck or something to pick your things up once you’re done packing.”

“Sungyeol, I can’t express—”

“Howon if you even dare to say thanks I’ll spank you, I swear!”

Howon smiled slightly. Thanks Sungyeol, thanks.

“Oh and can I rub it in Woohyun’s face that you thought about telling me before him?” Sungyeol asked enthusiastically.

Howon's eyes popped out. “Sungyeollie, no! I-I don’t know why-I-Woohyun and Myungsoo—”

“It’s ok you don’t have to be so embarrassed.”

 

Sungyeol and Howon went back to the Howon’s apartment together. Sungyeol called Myungsoo and told him to bring the others there as soon as Sungjong’s shift finished. For Howon’s sake he explained his predicament although Myungsoo knew it very well. He had put the phone on loudspeaker and being a good actor, Myungsoo paused at the right intervals, gasped at the right times and then shouted at Howon telling him not to worry. He promised to break it to Sungjong gently. Sungyeol, on the other hand, narrated the incident as if he had known the details since he was born. Thankfully, Howon was too distracted to notice.

By the time Howon and Sungyeol had emptied the wardrobe, the doorbell rang announcing their friends had arrived.

“God, I thought you people will never come! We’re dying here you know!” Sungyeol cried, throwing the clothes he was holding to the ground.

“Sorry, Sungjongie insisted on completing his shift,” said Myungsoo.

“Hyung, it’s going to be all right,” said Sungjong, hugging Howon tightly.

“Aww, isn’t that revoltingly sweet?” said Sungyeol, pinching Woohyun who was smiling at the intertwined brothers.

“Looks like we have a lot of packing to do,” said Myungsoo loudly. “Sungyeol and Howon, you guys just made a mess! Why did you throw all the clothes on the floor?”

“We were emptying the wardrobe!” Sungyeol said defensively.

“Please, what else will you expect from Sungyeol the brainless,” sneered Woohyun.

“Don’t start shorty-pants—”

“Ok hyungs, why don’t you get yourself something to eat from the kitchen. I’ll pack the clothes,” said Sungjong.

“I’ll help you Sungjongie!” said Myungsoo.

“Obviously,” Sungyeol rolled his eyes at Myungsoo.

“Let’s all help, it will be quicker,” said Woohyun, picking up a shirt from the floor.

“Best plan ever,” Sungyeol said sarcastically.

“It is,” said Woohyun seriously.

“I’m hungry,” moaned Sungyeol. “And you don’t understand sarcasm, do you Woohyun?”

“Need I remind you who’s smarter?” Woohyun replied snidely.

“Can’t you two ever stop bickering?” Myungsoo asked, pulling Sungjong into a hug.

“Can’t you two ever stop being lovey-dovey?” barked back Sungyeol.

“Jealous Yeollipop?” Myungsoo snickered. He dropped his hands from around Sungjong and grabbed Sungyeol from behind. “Better?” he asked.

“As if,” Sungyeol said, wriggling in Myungsoo’s hug uncomfortably.

“You two look so beautiful together, Beauty and the Beast,” Woohyun snorted.

“I’m not sure you’re doing Myungsoo justice by calling him a beast,” said Sungyeol, smirking at Woohyun.

“Oh you conceited fool, anyone can see you’re the beast!” Woohyun exclaimed.

“Definitely not!” Howon shouted before Sungyeol. Sungyeol nodded his head vigorously. Woohyun scoffed.

Myungsoo shouted, “I don’t wanna be the beast!”

Sungjong started to laugh.

“What’s so funny?” Howon asked.

“I can swear upon my honor that I never behave like this with my friends. We are more grown up than you guys!” Sungjong said.

Howon and Sungyeol glared at Sungjong while Woohyun smiled.

“You’re right Sungjongie, I’ll second that.”