Not Alone

Before The Dawn

A whole week passed in which Myungsoo refused to let Sungjong go to school. He himself would never leave Sungjong’s side, feed him and then cuddle up with him at night. Sunggyu had taken the opportunity of Myungsoo being in the shower to explain to Sungjong about Myungsoo’s disease and convincing him not to freak out.

“Just help me persuade him to go to the doctor,” Sunggyu told Sungjong.

Myungsoo would do everything Sungjong asked, except letting him go and go to the doctor himself. Sunggyu scolded, threatened, commanded, requested and finally begged to no avail.

Sungyeol, Howon and Woohyun spent all the time after school together at Sungyeol’s house, locked up in his bedroom and chalking up a plan. They all sympathized with Myungsoo but wanted to bring Sungjong back as well.

“This Sunday,” Sungyeol said, nodding importantly.

“I should go. He would get extra mad if it’s Howon and Sungyeol is too clumsy for this,” Woohyun said, looking at the drawing pad where he had sketched the plan of Myungsoo’s house.

“Watch who you’re calling clumsy!” Sungyeol rebutted.

“This is not a time to fight guys,” Howon said with a tired expression. “Woohyun is faster Sungyeol, let him do it.”

Woohyun shot Sungyeol a victorious look while he shrugged.

“Just because Howon said so.”

“Ok, now that’s settled.” Woohyun rubbed his hands together. “Look, I’ll enter through here and grab him from this room and make a run for—”

“What are you stealing?” Jungmin’s head peeked through the door.

“Hyung, how many times have I told you not to eavesdrop on us? And why didn’t you lock the door Woohyun?” Sungyeol shouted, thoroughly irritated.

“Well excuse me for being responsible,” Jungmin said scornfully.

“We’re trying to rescue Sungjong happy?” Sungyeol said. He felt guilty about jumping at Jungmin’s throat. After all, he was the only adult who cared for him.

“I thought Sungjong was vacationing at Myungsoo’s place?”

“Well, not exactly.”

When Woohyun finished the story, Jungmin proposed to accompany him.

“Definitely not!” Woohyun said.

“Why not? I’m an adult, I can help. I can stand watch.”

“That doesn’t sound so bad. Woohyun, come on,” Howon said, nudging Woohyun, who had his arms crossed across his chest.

“Oh this selfish brat! He just doesn’t want anyone else to steal his glory.”

“You say that again Sungyeol if you have the guts.”

“If I say it once, I’ll say it a thousand times—tiny coward!”

When Sungyeol and Woohyun had run out of insults to attack each other with, they summed up the plan. Jungmin was to accompany Woohyun but just as a lookout. They debated a bit about whether they should let Sunggyu know but since no one wanted to talk to him, they let it be.

On Saturday night, Woohyun decided to stay over at Sungyeol’s house. He had to beg his appa and promise to forgo all parties for a month for the permission.

They were all anxious about what they would do the next day. None of them got any sleep.  They had insisted on sharing a room, so that they could check on the plan with each other every few hours.

“Howon,” Woohyun said quietly.

“Yes?”

“Don’t worry. You’re not alone.”

“No. Thanks.”

Woohyun turned around in his bed to face Sungyeol’s back. He must have heard it though there was no sign.

I can say the same for you, Sungyeol.