Void

Before The Dawn

Myungsoo almost dragged Sungjong the entire way to his house. He was glad that Sunggyu was not at home; he didn’t have to answer why he was dragging a crying boy and looked so murderous. He took Sungjong to his bedroom and made him sit down on the bed.

“Don’t cry Sungjongie, I’ll be a very good hyung to you,” he said, trying to wipe off the tears from his eyes.

“But I want my hyung,” Sungjong hiccupped.

Myungsoo hugged him.

“You don’t need him Sungjong. You’ll be happier here. Sit still, I’ll bring some food.”

Sungjong nodded. He was scared to the bones, seeing Myungsoo like this. His eyes seemed to glower even when he was speaking kindly to him and Sungjong had a foreboding feeling around him, as if he was with a wild stranger.

When the younger was done eating the food he had brought him, Myungsoo proposed to go shopping.

“Let’s buy some clothes for you. I think you’ll look good in blue.” He was speaking happily but his eyes were still clouded.

“Hyung are you alright?” Sungjong asked cautiously.

“Of course I—”

The bell rang and Myungsoo’s face turned darker. He grabbed Sungjong’s hand again and pulled him. Sungjong got the hint—he was to follow Myungsoo to the door. The bell rang again. Myungsoo slowly opened the door and peeked outside.

“Oh it’s you, Sunggyu,” he muttered, throwing the door open to reveal a tired-looking Sunggyu, wearing a crisp suit and bespectacled and tugging along a huge briefcase. His face creased into stern lines as he said, “Manners, Myungsoo.”

“Oh whatever,” Myungsoo said, putting an arm around Sungjong.

“Who is this?” Sunggyu asked, narrowing his eyes at Sungjong, who tried to hide behind Myungsoo. He had never met Sunggyu, but he didn’t picture him to be this strict either.

“Sungjong, he’s going to live with us,” Myungsoo said happily. Sunggyu stared.

“And would you care to explain who has made this arrangement without my consent?”

“I did it,” Myungsoo said firmly.

“Myungsoo, are you feeling dizzy? Do you have a headache?” Concern crept into Sunggyu’s eyes as he tried to peer closely into Myungsoo’s face but he moved out of his reach.

“I’m fine, don’t be a bother. Just leave us alone. And he’s staying in my room so when you cook, make extra meals. We’re leaving now.”

Myungsoo pulled at Sungjong and left through the door. Sunggyu turned around and screamed at their backs, “You come back here, sir! Halt, I say. Don’t you dare take one more step Myungsoo, I will—”

They were gone. Sunggyu sighed as he sat down at the table. On the opposite wall, large portraits of his parents hung. He took off his glasses and gazed at the pictures.

“Appa, oemma, I can’t be what you were to him, I’m sorry. I couldn’t fill your void. And the illness, it seems to be returning. What do I do?”

Sunggyu hid his face in his hands. He didn’t know what to do next.

Maybe I should call him.

He took out his phone and dialed a number. The call was received immediately.

“Hello Dr. Bang, this is Kim Sunggyu, Kim Myungsoo’s brother, remember?”

“Oh Mr. Kim. It’s been a long time. How have you been?”

“I’ve been fine, thank you. I’m sorry to disturb you but it’s about my brother.”

“I thought your brother was doing fine though you never came back for the follow-ups.”

“Er, yeah you know Myungsoo, he didn’t like going to the hospital. But suddenly I think he’s getting sick again.”

“What? How do you know? Any symptoms?”

“Yes, I’m afraid. What he did is…”

 

Sunggyu was awaken from his deep thoughts by the doorbell ringing.

Oh good, Myungsoo’s here.

He opened the door to find Woohyun standing awkwardly in the doorway.

“Hello Sunggyu, er I mean hyung.” Woohyun bit his lips. He was so used to Myungsoo calling Sunggyu by his name behind his back that it came naturally to him.

“Woowon isn’t it? Or is it Sungwoo?” Sunggyu squinted his eyes at Woohyun.

“No, it’s Woohyun,” he replied politely. “I was wondering if Myungsoo was around.”

“He isn’t,” Sunggyu said curtly. He was still holding the door and had no intention of letting Woohyun in.

“Do you know if he was with a boy?”

“He’s always with one, two or three boys, you included. Be specific.” Sunggyu’s eyes were dangerously narrowing. It was a sign his patience was running out.

“Not one of us, I mean his usual friends, and that would be Sungyeol, Howon and, and…oh yes me, me. None of us but then again he’s usually with us but this once he isn’t and that’s because of what happened earlier—”

The door slammed shut in his face. Woohyun was shocked.

Aaargh, I’m always like this in front of Sunggyu. Why? It’s all Myungsoo’s fault, telling me scary stuffs about him.

He took a deep breath and rang the doorbell again. Sunggyu looked furious but before he could say anything Woohyun shouted, “Sungjong! Was Myungsoo with Sungjong?”

“Yes he was,” Sunggyu said with a dark face.

Woohyun scratched the back of his neck nervously. “Well Myungsoo kind of kidnapped him—”

“He did what?” Sunggyu shouted.

“No, it’s ok because Sungjong is Howon’s younger brother but we were all worried because…Myungsoo looked different.” Woohyu finished lamely.

Sunggyu stared at him hard for some time.

“Come in.”

Woohyun was shocked at the sudden change. He entered after Sunggyu, who led him to the spacious sitting room.

“Now explain what happened.”

Woohyun felt guilty about ratting Myungsoo out since he knew very well Myungsoo hated Sunggyu. But in this situation he thought it was important for him to know because he had the right to take decision about his younger brother.

When Woohyun was done, Sunggyu hadn’t said anything. Either he was deep in thought or he was sleeping. Woohyun decided on the latter.

“Hyung, wake up,” Woohyun said, poking Sunggyu gently.

“Are you out of your mind?” Sunggyu roared. “I’m not sleeping.”

“Oh sorry…your eyes…umm, yeah that’s it.”

“Myungsoo had ROCD.”

“What?” Woohyun asked. He thought himself to be very smart but he had to admit he hadn’t ever heard the word. “Is that-is that a disease?”

“You’re smart,” Sunggyu said, nodding gravely. “Relationship Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. He was diagnosed with it when he was seven. But after some therapies, I thought he was cured. And suddenly now, after all these years, it seems to have resurfaced.”

“We never knew.”

“No, it was before he got admitted to your school. I actually thought his friends had helped him to get better. The only reason I don’t throw you guys out of my house on the weekends you decide to trash this place.”

Woohyun winced.

Ouch, that was harsh.

“So he gets obsessed about a person?” Woohyun asked.

“Yes, and he has to keep that person with him all the time and he gets aggressive with anyone who tries to stop it. He’s nice with the person but it might lead to—kidnapping, did you say?”

“I didn’t mean it,” Woohyun mumbled.

“Ok we’re done here, you may leave.” Sunggyu got up from his seat.

“I was thinking of waiting for Myungsoo. Maybe I can convince him to give up Sungjong…”

“And I actually thought you’re smart. It’s a disease, you fool. He needs therapy. Don’t worry though, tell Hoyeol that his brother will be fine.”

“One last question, hyung.”

“I am a professor but I have my limits,” Sunggyu said arrogantly.

Woohyun gulped down retaliation.

Your limits are painfully short.

“Who was Myungsoo obsessed about in the past?”

“None of your business.”