The Deal with The Dance

An Angel in Black
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So do you think she’ll ask you out to the dance?”

Kris rolled his eyes from his spot on their usual bench by the gym, looking out of place in his all-black outfit when the day was warmer than usual. “Well, aren’t you just blunt today?”

Luhan shrugged casually, stretching his legs. “Would you rather I went around in circles?”

“Point.” The taller man conceded easily. “What makes you think I even want to attend the dance?”

“Considering how you looked like you were going to snap when you saw Sooyoung and Jonghyun goofing around in the gardens, gee, I wonder.” Xiumin raised his hands in defense when Kris glared. “Just stating facts, you hot-headed giant. No need to get hostile.”

He scowled. “Why are the two of you starting to sound like women, anyway? It’s getting kinda creepy.”

“We just want to see you happy.”

Kris softened at the answer but said nothing more, realizing yet again how life would probably be much harder without his two best friends. Sure, being isolating himself had its perks but it did help that there were people he could trust, people who could read him and tell it like it is even when he was being too damn difficult. It was at that thought that he allowed himself to smile, the trio content to just sit in silence and relish the last few minutes of the break.

~*~*~*~*~*~

“Kris!”

He’d know that voice anywhere.

And as soon as the sound of her voice reached his ear, guilt coursed immediately though every part of him. It was a new feeling, something that he was slowly getting used to ever since he accepted the fact that Sooyoung had brought and would probably still bring many firsts in his life. Of course, the latter would be up to him and how much he was willing to let her in his life, which led him back to the guilt he was currently feeling. With every day that passed since he had seen Sooyoung and Jonghyun in the field, the remorse for acting so cold to her again grew stronger and stronger and even Xiumin and Luhan definitely not help the situation any. As much as he didn’t want to admit it was jealousy, he didn’t need that as an excuse to continue being so childish.

He paused in mid-step, turning around to find her walking towards him. “Yes?”

Sooyoung didn’t bother to conceal her surprise, the fact that he was speaking to her again making her shy all over again. “I… Are you on your way to the cemetery?”

The sandy blonde haired man nodded. “Yeah. Why?”

“Well…” She hesitated but soon decided that she should just get it over with; consequences to be dealt with after. “Would it be okay if we go together?”

Kris froze, his previous thoughts hitting him hard once more. He usually went alone to the cemetery, never going there with anyone, even Luhan and Xiumin. “Sure…” He began carefully, gauging her reaction. “We can work on the pre-thesis statement while we’re there. Mr. Kim did say it’s due tomorrow, right?”

When she beamed at him in reply, Kris had decided at that exact moment that he loved it when she smiled and would probably do anything to keep it on her face.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Kris wasn’t really surprised when they stopped in a flower shop first, nearly forgetting that they needed to replace the flowers they both left in their family’s graves the last time they separately visited. This particular flower shop was new to him and he easily figured out that it was where Sooyoung usually bought flowers for her family. Silently, he followed Sooyoung inside, nearly feeling nauseous at the strong floral scent. He bought them on a regular basis, sure, but it didn’t mean he completely liked them.

“Good afternoon, Ms. Choi.” The florist greeted with a warm smile, not bothering to conceal the surprise on her face. “I see you’ve brought a friend today.”

“Yeah.” She nodded with a smile. “Kris, this is Victoria Song. Victoria, this is Kris Wu.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet a fellow countryman.” The older woman beamed at Kris and he couldn’t help but smile, even if it was a small one, in return. “Will it be the usual bouquet of hydrangeas today, Soo?”

“Yes, please.” Sooyoung turned her attention to Kris; a questioning look on her beautiful face. “What are your mom’s favourite flowers?”

The question caught him off-guard. “My what?”

“Your mom’s favourite flowers.” Her eyes rolled good naturedly. “Don’t tell me you just buy whatever bouquet of flowers when you visit her.”

“Gardenias.” Kris answered softly, still trying to wrap his head around her thoughtfulness. “Her favourite flowers are Gardenias.”

The wide, giddy smile made its way to her lips; Sooyoung feeling elated about the fact that she learned something new. “Victoria, can we have a bouquet of gardenias too?”

“Sure.” Victoria nodded, already finishing the bouquet of hydrangeas requested earlier.

Kris stood frozen near the door, watching as Sooyoung went over to a vase of roses to get a better

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter