Whispers in the Early Morning Wind

An Angel in Black
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The party was still in full swing.

It had been a few hours since the start of the dance yet everyone showed no signs of slowing down. Happy chatter reigned in the air as many students remained on the dance floor; others retreating back to their tables to rest or to the buffet tables for another round of scrumptious food. The mood is high and festive and though it was getting late into the night, everyone was still happy and excited to do more.

It was just that Jonghyun couldn’t say the same thing for himself.

He stood outside in one of the verandas of the ballroom; his arms resting on the railings as he stared at the dark sky ahead of him. He wasn’t quite sure what Sunhwa was doing inside. Maybe she was with her friends. Maybe she was eating. Maybe she was upset at how he was such a bad date. Jonghyun sighed. He really did try. He danced with her a few times. He went with her whenever she got food and listened politely to all the things she said. He honestly hoped he wasn’t too bad of a date for her.

But it was just too hard for him to act normal when he could see Kris and Sooyoung.

It was like the two had their own world the whole time. Sure, they conversed with many other people – more so her than him – yet they never went anywhere without the other. When they became the first couple to hit the dance floor, Jonghyun knew instantly that they had patched things up after what happened before the dance. That much was too obvious, especially for him. There was a different glow on Sooyoung’s face that night and the smile on her face, too, seemed different – like it was meant only for Kris. The tall blonde man had kept his usual stoic façade yet his eyes held a certain kind of softness and his aura had noticeably changed.

“There are you are!”

Jonghyun turned to find Jonghoon on his way out of the ballroom to join him. “Hey.”

“Where have you been?” He asked. “I’ve been looking everywhere for you.”

“Well, you found me.” His eyes rolled good naturedly. “What’s up?”

Jonghoon softened. “How are you holding up?”

“I’m fine.”

A scowl crossed his handsome face. “Liar.”

He shrugged his shoulders absently. “What do you want me to say?”

“How about you start with the truth?” Jonghoon sighed.

“You know how I feel. You’re my best friend.”

The raven haired man let out another sigh. “What do you plan to do?”

“Plan?” Jonghyun repeated. “I plan to go home and rest. I’m really tired.”

His jaw dropped. “You’re leaving already?”

“Yeah, it’s really late. I’ll go in and see if Sunhwa’s ready to go.” He clasped a hand gratefully on his friend’s shoulder before he turned and walked away. “Enjoy the rest of the night.”

Jonghoon could only sigh yet again.

~*~*~*~*~*~

A smile of fulfilment crossed her beautiful face as she sat on the stage; the ballroom she was in nearly almost empty of people.

It was much quieter now and it was much later in the evening. It was early morning of the new day, in fact, and most of the students had left. It was only now that she had a better chance to appreciate the product of everyone’s hard work, seeing just how breathtakingly magnificent the whole ballroom looked. Being a member of the organizing committee, Sooyoung had to stay behind for clean-up… and though he wasn’t required to stay even if he was her date, Kris had stayed with her; the blonde haired man appearing in her line of vision when she turned her head.

“Are you okay?”

The smile on her face only widened as she nodded. “You don’t have to stay, you know.”

Kris shrugged nonchalantly, sitting on the stage by her side and being mindful of her gown. “I have nothing better to do at home either.”

A small pout reached her lips. “Seriously, I feel bad for keeping you here. You don’t have to stay behind and help because of me.”

“Trust me, there’s nowhere else I’d rather be.”

She softened; her heart rate increasing at the intensity of his words. “Kris…”

A smile of his own crossed his face, brightening up his eyes. “So stop sending me away. You don’t have to feel bad about anything.”

“How about you two head home?” Yoona chimed in the conversation; the head organizer approaching the pair with Seungri’s coat around her shoulders; the man in question politely excusing himself for a moment.

Sooyoung shook her head. “I’m supposed to stay and help.”

“Soo, it’s okay. We’re almost done anyway.” When her best friend looked ready to protest, she rolled her eyes. “Seriously, you two. You should go and rest. We’ll be fine here.”

“I’ll bring her home.” Kris spoke before Sooyoung could, getting up on his feet. “Thanks, Yoona.”

She grinned. “No problem.”

Much to Yoona’s amusement and delight, Kris had offered his hand to Sooyoung, the latter’s face brightening up as she placed her hand in his. Yoona could only sigh happily as she watched the two leave; still holding hands. She wasn’t sure if either of them noticed the very fact but she, too, was certain that even if they did, neither of them would mind at all.

“I don’t want to go home yet.”

Kris paused mid-step, turning around and arching an eyebrow. “W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter