Date

An Angel in Black
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There were so many things going on that it was making Sooyoung’s head hurt.

The school fair was days away, which only meant that everyone was busy balancing work for that along with their school work. It was definitely a silver lining, much to her boyfriend’s relief, that, first, they’d been grouped together, along with Luhan and Xiumin, who weren’t completely happy when they were informed that they had been signed up as volunteers. Second, and most importantly, their group wasn’t one of those assigned for the gender-bender maid café.

“Well, that’s a bummer.” Luhan commented as they read the announcement, eventually finding out that their group, due mostly to the fact that Sooyoung, Yoona’s right hand of sorts, was part of it, was assigned behind-the-scenes logistical tasks. “It would’ve been fun.”

Xiumin shot him an incredulously look. “That’s ‘cause you would you look good in a maid outfit, pretty boy. Kris and I won’t.”

It didn’t help matters any, at least for Sooyoung, that prom preparations were to begin very soon and the principal and her overall satisfaction with how the girl’s choice dance was orchestrated had delegated prom planning to the juniors who were part of that team, which meant once again that Yoona was at the helm with Sooyoung right there to assist her best friend. But what bothered Sooyoung most more than the growing pile of work to be done in school was that Kris’s general mood seemed to have shifted once more to one that is more somber, darker, and just flat out tense.

She’d asked him about it but he merely shook his head, telling her that school was giving him much to think of and it was nothing to worry about. She’d nodded and smiled but deep down, she didn’t completely believe him, not when he was beginning to isolate himself once more, closing around himself the way he did back then. Sure, he was often a lot better whenever he was with her but it seemed like his smiles had dimmed, his words more muted, and, when he thought she wasn’t around to see or notice, his gaze faraway.

“The school finally decided on a date for prom.” Yoona informed everyone at their usual lunch table, which now expanded to accommodate herself, Sooyoung, Kris, Luhan, Xiumin, Jonghoon and, surprisingly to say the least, Jonghyun. Jonghyun hadn’t said much ever since he’d arrived and neither did Kris and Yoona could see that the unusual silence was just about to drive her best friend out of her mind.

“Well? When is it?” Jonghoon asked, looking rather relieved for the diversion.

“Three months from this Saturday.”

Phones were eventually whipped out, calendars soon becoming visible on the screens, and everyone’s attention soon snapped off their gadgets when Kris suddenly straightened. “Excuse me.”

He made as if to get out of his seat but Sooyoung caught his hand before could move. “What’s wrong?”

“I just need some air. I’m feeling a little lightheaded.” He managed to say and it was obvious to everyone that he was trying to restrain himself from shaking her off, a battle that it seemed like he was losing little by little.

“Sooyoung.” Luhan broke in quietly. “Let him go.”

The brunette shot him a look of clear cut disbelief, one that was mirrored on every other face except for Kris’s, who took the opportunity to gently pry his hand away from her grasp, sending a quick look of gratitude to his best friend before he was off, heading out of the cafeteria without looking back at the group of people watching him go, two were flat out confused, two were somber, one nearly irate and one rather hurt.

“What the hell just happened?” Jonghyun pinned Luhan, who had his head bent down, with a look.

“I’m really sorry about that, Soo.” Luhan apologized to the brunette first before addressing the question he’d just been asked. “And I’m not sure it’s my story to tell, Jonghyun.”

“We’re not asking for a full blown story here. All we want is some kind of explanation as to why the date of the prom set him off like that.” His jaw clenched. “Why did he lie to Sooyoung like that?”

“He didn’t lie.” Xiumin protested softly. “It was closest he could get to the truth that he was willing to share given…”

“Given what?” Sooyoung asked, frowning heavily when he remained mum. “Given what, Xiumin?”

Kris’s two best friends exchanged a look before twin defeated sighs escaped their lips. “We might as well tell them, Lu. It’s not something that anyone can just easily crowbar out of him.” He chuckled without humor. “Well, maybe Sooyoung can but given the state he’s in right now…”

“Enough with the preamble.” Jonghyun interrupted him. “What is his deal?”

“His deal, Lee Jonghyun,” Luhan looked at him square in the eye. “His deal is that prom falls on the death anniversary of his parents.”

Sooyoung felt the blood drain out of her face at his words, instantly racking her mind for that image of his parents’ tombstone that she’d seen so many times over the course of the past few weeks, and she nearly collapsed in her seat when she realized that Luhan had spoken the truth. “Oh my god.”

Yoona had gone pale in her seat as well and, though she knew a lot more than both Jonghyun and Jonghoon, she wasn’t privy to the private aspects of Kris Wu’s life as Sooyoung had always respected the proverbial line that separated what she could tell her best friend about her boyfriend and what was indeed private. “Luhan.” Her voice shook as she spoke. “How did they die?”

“Yoona, I’m not sure I can–”

“Tell them.” It was Sooyoung who commanded this time. “The entire story is up for Kris to share but I think they should know at least how. They wouldn’t fully understand otherwise.”

“It’s really bad, isn’t it?” Jonghoon spoke then, his eyes looking between Sooyoung, Xiumin, an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter